Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Just wondering, why people think multi culture is a good thing for a country? Never figured out why 1 culture isn't good.
    I agree with you.

I enjoy learning about other cultures and experiencing their traditions but I don't agree with the globalists that want to turn every country into some multi-cultural melting pot. I also don't think it is racist or biased in anyway to say that and I also think that it doesn't actually work.

The truth about it is: the globalists don't really care about culture or diversity. They just want to make money.

They know they can't come out and say "do this because we want to profit," so they cloak their goals by pretending to care about diversity and culture. So instead of saying "do this so we can profit" they say "do this because multi culturalism and diversity are a good thing." By saying it like that, they can also make use of groups that actually want to promote diversity and multi culturalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    Pluralism is fine - people embracing certain elements of their ancestral culture, like garb, cuisine, folklore and philosophies (to a degree), so long as it is compatible with the adopted society they have moved into. It's cool even and brings new products, services and perspectives to native populations.

What is not okay, however, is a "multiculturalism" in which different citizens within the same population live parallel lives, with different courts and policing and incompatible cultural practices (FGM, reactionary beliefs and fostering misanthropic extremism).
    So the rich are not okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    So wait, are you now saying that the fact that we are arguing while using English is an argument for not having everyone learn English? As if the fact that we can even debate things is a bad thing? That we can communicate at a common level is somehow a negative?

I'm gonna end this now, I think i've proven my point well enough that you're bonkers, so good day to you sir.
    You. Need. To. Focus.

We're still talking about racism, remember? Your cure for racism is that everyone learns the same language, right? Everyone learning to speak to each other they will understand each other better, and the beginnings of the end of racism will be in sight. No more cultural ghettos, multiculturalism will then work splendidly, etc.

My point, which you've clearly, repeatedly missed, is that learning the same language is not, and has never been, a precondition to the ending of racism. Just like Imperialist conquests and forced assimilation across the world didn't end it. Just like the two of us speaking the same language isn't a precondition of me and you understanding each other and getting along, which if you didn't catch the sarcasm (you didn't), we aren't.

You've also completely missed the point that I've never once said that people shouldn't learn other languages. You're the one saying that people need to learn english in order to communicate with you, otherwise you can't control your own racism. My point has, and continues to be, that racism (being a barrier to multiculturalism) isn't the fault of people trying to integrate into a society, but the issue of the people whose racist attitudes force people into cultural ghettos.
    Last edited by Krigaren; 2017-04-25 at 08:16 PM.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You seem to be begging the question here in order to portray unification as oppressive. No one said there needed to be force.
    Then how else would you go about doing it?

Multiple competing cultures can be a good thing, in a way.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    It's neither good or bad. I do like food though and some of the womenzzz

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just wondering, why people think multi culture is a good thing for a country? Never figured out why 1 culture isn't good.
    Multicultural societies can be good, but it requires an intense amount of work, negotiation and mutual respect.

Generally arrangements can work with either one dominate culture that tolerates other smaller cultures, or roughly equal cultures that are either similar enough that they can get along and coexist with mutual respect or the differences do not step on other cultures and thus they can agree to disagree.

If say one culture makes universalist claims about itself and is determined to dominate, change, or subjugate the other cultures than peace can never really exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Why not? Evolving and moving forward requires new ideas. Having a varied and diverse population helps with that.
    People that live in the past gets left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I agree with you.

I enjoy learning about other cultures and experiencing their traditions but I don't agree with the globalists that want to turn every country into some multi-cultural melting pot. I also don't think it is racist or biased in anyway to say that and I also think that it doesn't actually work.
    You are certainly entitled to your own opinion I actually think the opposite. It is rather refreshing to get to know people from different backgrounds and point of views then yourself. I can point to a lot of things that have changed my points of view in life that I have learned from different sources. I don't blame people for being scared and wanting to stay in a homogeneous world change can be scary.

Also dating women from very different countries is a wonderful thing

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Multiculture leads to globalism. Globalism leads to a unified, world government/currency. Then we care about what we do as a species and not what that country is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your own opinion I actually think the opposite. It is rather refreshing to get to know people from different backgrounds and point of views then yourself. I can point to a lot of things that have changed my points of view in life that I have learned from different sources. I don't blame people for being scared and wanting to stay in a homogeneous world change can be scary.

Yeah, I am fine with meeting people (and the women of course). I just don't think that every country city has to be this crazy melting pot place that accepts everything. I also think that multi-culturalism is getting sort of a bad rap right now because gloabilsts linked it to the whole immigration issue (to garner more support), so I think a lot of people are equating multi culturalism with the immigration issue at the moment and they are not the same thing at all.

I would disagree with the "people being scared and wanting to stay in a homogenous world" part. I don't necessarily think people are scared about it, I just think they aren't interested in it really. Everyone has the things they like and dislike. Just because someone dislikes something doesn't mean they are scared of it. There can really be a whole host of reasons someone doesn't like (or is ambivalent) towards something. Sometimes it is not even because of the thing itself......

I liken it to houses in a neighborhood. Some people like all the houses on a block to have the same style, so the neighborhood looks like a cohesive whole and has a signature sense of style. Some people like every house on the block to be different so they can see the different things people can do with houses. There is no right or wrong, scared or accepting- it is just two different preferences.

I don't think it necessarily is.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'd get tired of the same food at the very least.

Deleted
    Depends on your definition. We can talk about enjoyable topics such as food and music, but we can also talk about more contentious topics such legal systems, ethics, and morality. I will be talking generally here.

In my country, large groups of people from a certain culture/ethnicity have come here as refugees which we have received as we should. However, whatever happens after they have come seems to be completely ignored by the government and are hoarded into ghettos. The first generation of these refugee,s while certainly some do integrate and become parts of our society, some also ends on lifelong welfare, settling in their areas of town where only people from their culture reside, and does not make an effort to understand the society they have settled in.

There is multiple problems with this where responsibility lies on the government and, in my opinion, both conservative and liberal belligerents.

First off: The first generation of refugees continues as if they never left their native country. They are on lifelong welfare because of their status as refugees, so there is no incentive to learn the native language and does not give two shits about integrating. This segregates the cultures and does not give the needed information to either culture for effective and peaceful coexistence. The follow up problem to this is the offspring of the first generation of refugees: These are citizens of my country and are expected to live up to the standards of our society like education. These kids are expected to be brought up and raised in a society which their parents does not care or need to understand. Unsurprisingly, since I have lived in these neighborhoods and worked with them, these kids are socially vulnerable where they are split by the culture of their parents and the culture of the society they live in. They often resort to crime and other unsavory activities with no way out because they are trapped in the ghettos created by our government. This heightens the risk for radicalisation, which we here in Europe reap the consequences of now and further widens the divide between the cultures. Whatever other say, I do not believe this is just random attacks with no definitive cause: They are a result of the failed integration policies of past governments.

Secondly: Both conservatives and liberals, especially their extreme versions, believes that cultures should be immutable and be preserved as they are. In the conservative case it revolves mostly around nationalism. In the liberal case it is about topics such as cultural appropriation. Furthemore, the people who are concerned with "issues" like cultural appropriation are those who are the most distanced from the social problems of these ghettos and only enjoy the good parts of the incoming culture. In either case, it is about the belief that the purity of cultures should be protected. This is a huge problem because it feeds into the main problem I am talking about: We end up with an insufficient understanding of the opposing culture and creates an "us versus them" situation. It creates parallel societies full of socially vulnerable youth ripe for radicalisation. The current political scene on either side of the spectrum is completely toxic for both integrating refugees into society but also for accepting the good parts of both cultures into your life.

This has just been my opinion on the problems we face as a society when it comes to topics such as culture and refugees. If this abomination I just described is what we call a multicultural society then I honestly want none of it.

I do not give two shits about what my native culture is. I adopt (read: appropriate) the good parts of other cultures into my life because I do not view a culture as an immutable object that should be protected, but as something that evolves to enrich itself. Any multicultural society should strive to eventually become a monocultural society. Then it starts over, repeat until the sun burns out or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multiple stable cultures probably isn't great. But multiple cultures mixing together and integrating into one another can be a potent selective process for behavior. What you don't want is people forming ethnic enclaves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Multiculture leads to globalism. Globalism leads to a unified, world government/currency. Then we care about what we do as a species and not what that country is doing.
    Cultural mixing and integration leads to globalism, but multiculturalism leads to tribalism. I think this is an important distinction to make.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post

This is one of the associated behaviours I talked about disliking earlier. So many who put so much focus that you're different than them, both looks and culturally (though they use stereotypes often about how you behave). I'd call it a fetish in many cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it a bad thing? Multiple cultures sharing ideas is a good thing. It shapes modern Western culture.
    Some people tend to say "multiculturalism" is when two cultures share the same space but dont interact. That almost never happens except in niche communities, generally after attempts to integrate have failed or the inhabitants were discriminated against.

Integration DOES NOT mean abandoning ones old values but melding them with nee ones. Multiculturalism is not to adopt negative or unwanted parts of a culture either.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Main thing is the food, don't really care about the rest, but it doesn't really hurt me either lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    This is one of the associated behaviours I talked about disliking earlier. So many who put so much focus that you're different than them, both looks and culturally (though they use stereotypes often about how you behave). I'd call it a fetish in many cases.
    I am equal opportunity fetish then since I also dated people from my own race, I think you miss the point people are different stopping yourself from liking someone because of race is just plain laziness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Because diversity is a source of new knowledge and experiences. New residents also enrich the cultural fabric of society by introducing new foods, music, traditions, beliefs and interests.
    Only many advocates of "multiculturalism" shut down/ignore any and all knowledge that doesn't conform to their preconceived notions... Whilst simultaneously berating whites for adopting facets of various other cultures as "cultural appropriators".