10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    hm that could be interesting.

maybe Queen of Cinders is connected to Surtur and she could be stronger than him.
    tbh, given the current mood of the Thor comics, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a more powerful, female version of Surtur .

Also, going back like... a week or something:

Was watching Thor yesterday, and in our discussion of Thor's feats in the MCU I forgot one of his best...

He took out the fucking DESTROYER. The Asgardian Super Armour that was shown to be capable of vaporizing multiple Frost Giants in a single hit, and easily took out Lady Sif and the Warriors Three.

And then Thor gets his hammer back, and WRECKS it. Doesn't even really seem to put in much effort either.

Bonus round: in Dark World, he one-shots a Kronan. And seeing as Kronan's are generally considered to be a fairly durable race (look at all the punishment Korg tanked), I think it's safe to call that an impressive, if somewhat obscure feat.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    tbh, given the current mood of the Thor comics, I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a more powerful, female version of Surtur .

Also, going back like... a week or something:

Was watching Thor yesterday, and in our discussion of Thor's feats in the MCU I forgot one of his best...

He took out the fucking DESTROYER. The Asgardian Super Armour that was shown to be capable of vaporizing multiple Frost Giants in a single hit, and easily took out Lady Sif and the Warriors Three.

And then Thor gets his hammer back, and WRECKS it. Doesn't even really seem to put in much effort either.

Bonus round: in Dark World, he one-shots a Kronan. And seeing as Kronan's are generally considered to be a fairly durable race (look at all the punishment Korg tanked), I think it's safe to call that an impressive, if somewhat obscure feat.
    good feats but the Destroyer is nerfed to the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    good feats but the Destroyer is nerfed to the ground.
    Still a strong showing. I'm hoping we'll get Thor vs Surtur/Skurge/Hela/Someone else super broken in Ragnarok, so he can REALLY show off the full extent of his powers.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    I kind of want to read it now, even though Marvel's fans have mostly turned me off to their products completely. Which sucks, 'cause I'd also really love to be reading about Hydra Cap. But I don't want to be associated with the type of people that use the term "SJW" unironically.
    Trust me dude, forget the moaners, check out Infamous Ironman and Captain HYDRA. Two of the best series in a while, both are brilliantly written and have great artwork.

If you want to read Secret Empire (which you will, after Captain HYRDA), it's worth at least reading Civil War II: The Oath, if you don't want to read the whole event.

Holy hell, I hadn't even heard of Infamous Iron Man until this week in this thread. All the whining and gnashing of teeth online about "replacing old heroes" and no one even once has complained about Iron Man being replaced by another white man. A black girl? Yeah, they've whined about that. A black man replacing Cap? Yeah, plenty of whining about that. A white woman replacing Thor? Loads of whining there. But I literally had not ever even heard of Doom replacing Iron Man.

I kind of want to read it now, even though Marvel's fans have mostly turned me off to their products completely. Which sucks, 'cause I'd also really love to be reading about Hydra Cap. But I don't want to be associated with the type of people that use the term "SJW" unironically.
    i wouldnt really call most of those people marvel fans tbh. like i mentioned on the last page while yes there are certainly people like that on comic book forums and whatnot the vast majority of people who read comics have had shit like this happen for years and are used to it the only difference is instead of it being another white dude its a girl.

im sure if dc made a black dude batman we would have the same shit flinging on here as we did with all of those and not single person mentioning azrael, terry mcginnis, dick grayson ect

ESPECIALLY nowadays as the vast majority of the characters that have been "replaced" are still around for them to read stories about. people who like thor, still have thor books, people who like cap... well hes a nazi right now BUT its a good story and he wont be a nazi forever, people who like peter still have peter parker books ect ect pretty much everyones happy and its event fatigue that has most fans getting pissed.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Trust me dude, forget the moaners, check out Infamous Ironman and Captain HYDRA. Two of the best series in a while, both are brilliantly written and have great artwork.
    I had no interest in Hydra Cap until I saw who was writing it. If it's half as enjoyable as Morning Glories I'll be happy.

Still a strong showing. I'm hoping we'll get Thor vs Surtur/Skurge/Hela/Someone else super broken in Ragnarok, so he can REALLY show off the full extent of his powers.
    I kinda doubt that.

though we are gonna see Thor vs Hulk all out fight.

its the only fight I'm looking forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I've gotten back into comics lately I'm mostly sticking with digital copies of books ... but when I was at the comic store this last weekend ('cause there's still things I want from in the store) I was really eyeing Secret Empire #0 I'm going to keep all three books in mind later this week after I read through whatever new stuff I get tomorrow.
    Secret Empire is great, mostly because it pissing so many people off and I find that hilarious.

Also, it shows how much of a fucking MONSTER Captain America really is, when you remove the foolish limitation of "Morality" that has held him back for son long .

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I had no interest in Hydra Cap until I saw who was writing it. If it's half as enjoyable as Morning Glories I'll be happy.
    I've not read Morning Glories, but if it's as good as the current Captain HYDRA run, I'll check it out for sure! Really enjoying the twists and craziness they've been pulling since day one.

though we are gonna see Thor vs Hulk all out fight.
    I'm really hoping that since Thor will be without Mjolnir for that fight, they'll toss him a bone and have Thor fall to the Warriors Madness and just curbstomp. Sadly, since they've implied that Hulk vs Loki round 2 is going to happen in Ragnarok, and they're not going to have Loki lose again, makes me think that Thor vs Hulk will be at best a draw, probably a close win for Hulk, since they wont have him lose to two Asgardians in the same film.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    except, as many people have pointed out before, she isnt the first person to be called thor who wasnt "thor" thor. why was it okay for it to be a mantel when eric masterson was thor but not when jane is thor?
    Because it wasn't a "mantle" called Thor. It was a name already taken by the genuine article. When Masterson merged with Thor it was the whole two-in-one deal, Masterson (mortal) with a cane, and Thor (Thunder God) would pop up when the cane was struck. Later they undergo separation and Masterson gets a Mace looking weapon with the same abilities and is then called "Thunderstrike."

Hmf...the 90s were rough.

Holy hell, I hadn't even heard of Infamous Iron Man until this week in this thread. All the whining and gnashing of teeth online about "replacing old heroes" and no one even once has complained about Iron Man being replaced by another white man.
    I haven't read comics in 20 years and I knew about it. I also heard people complain about it, it just never went mainstream.

A black girl? Yeah, they've whined about that. A black man replacing Cap? Yeah, plenty of whining about that. A white woman replacing Thor? Loads of whining there. But I literally had not ever even heard of Doom replacing Iron Man.
    Granted, I'm going by memory, but I don't think they really made a big deal about Doom as Iron Man. It was on a few comic sites, but not much. Foster-Thor? Iron-Riri? They were announced on The View and other day time TV. They went on talk shows to try to show the world they were diverse, and there was a backlash.

As said, a lot of this backlash wasn't comic fans certainly, or at least not current fans. But neither were the folks watching the View current fans, Marvel was reaching out to try to attract non-readers in via diversity.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    As someone who has only recently been reading Thor, I thought Masterson and Thor were merged into one being. It was more of a split personality than a mantle?
    For a while Masterson carried Thor's spirit as a separate personality. Later when Thor was banished or lost or whatever Eric was allowed to keep Mjolnjr and could turn into "Thor," but he had one spirit/personality (Eric Masterson.)

Later he was given his own magic hammer and became a Thor-type superhero called Thunderstrike (the same name as his hammer.) Together with Beta-Ray Bill and Dagor Ktor (Thor of the future) he was part of the Thor-corps. All 3 of those heroes would transform and have powers and costume similar to Thor but kept their personalities. Masterson and Ktor were both called "Thor" when using Mjolnir. When Bill had Mjolnir he was never called Thor, but when Odin cast a spell to summon Thor he got Bill instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Wasn't the whole "Blake was actually Thor the whole time" a retcon anyway?
    I get totally lost with Donald Blake. Initially (I think) he was a construct of Odin's to house Thor's spirit until he found Mjolnir, but then it turned out Blake was a real person frozen, but then it turned out that person had been killed and the frozen figure was a replica... and some time after Ragnarok Blake started existing again and eventually housed Thor's spirit again (this time as 2 spirits/personalities.)

I'm really hoping that since Thor will be without Mjolnir for that fight, they'll toss him a bone and have Thor fall to the Warriors Madness and just curbstomp. Sadly, since they've implied that Hulk vs Loki round 2 is going to happen in Ragnarok, and they're not going to have Loki lose again, makes me think that Thor vs Hulk will be at best a draw, probably a close win for Hulk, since they wont have him lose to two Asgardians in the same film.
    I'm pretty sure someone said that Thor wins though I doubt that.

See, I would completely agree with this. I've been reading comics since 1980 and I've seen so many variations of characters come and go and change and change back and like you say ... it's all just part of comics. I've recently had this argument in the DC thread in the sense of people feeling characters are "ruined" by the way they were portrayed in the films and to me this whole "diversity is bad, mmkay" argument going on is really just a neckbeard variation of people not understanding how comics work.
    Without wanting to come across as a "neckbeard" I think both Immitis and yourself are being a little too dismissive of a pretty obvious sea-change in character ethnicity and gender-swapping at Marvel. Its been a blatant and obviously agenda there for the last couple of years. Not to mention even more obvious ones...I mean...

I think its pretty sad that this kind of politically driven stuff turns-up in superhero comics these days so much so it makes me cringe when I think how its handeled. Along with the various other noteworthy stuff Marvel has been doing with its mainstay characters recently I can understand long-time readers being put on the backfoot with such an aggressive approach. I'm certaily not trying to justify "The Internets" behaviour but I can see why it/he/she/they're* upset.

I've read comics as long...well, longer tbh, than you have. I was there when James Rhodes took-on the mantle of Iron Man back in the Eighties, but there was no agenda attached to it - in fact him being a Black guy wasn't even a merit of the story, he just took over cos Tony was too pissed to perform most the time. I was there when Storm carried her own Mjolnir, but the story didn't require Thor be reduced to an Unworthy SOB and being booted out his own comic.

The ethnicity and gender-swapping at Marvel in the last couple of years has been political push, a dozen or-so creators didn't all spontaneously decide to change the race/gender/whatever of a mainstay character at the same time, thats pretty much undeniable. In that respect I think its unfair to compare whats happening now to the appropriation of a title/mantle which occured prior to say the last 5 years beacuse back then, it was because the writer wanted to tell what they thought would be an interesting story, not to drive-forward a political agenda.

BTW, if you're getting back into stuff and you've read comics as long as you have pick up Astro City...in fact pick-up all the Astro City you can.

Oh, and Planetary, don't forget Planetary...if you've not read it.

*Just to be safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure someone said that Thor wins though I doubt that.
    Tbh, they'll probably do what they did in the Avengers, and have it a sort of draw, with room for interpretation.

But if they wanna give Thor the win in his own film... I wont complain!

I see that picture as poking fun at people. If you got mad at it that's the joke. And I fail to see whether there's an agenda or not has anything to do with it. Yes marvel is purposefully trying to have more diversity, yes they're purposefully hiring more minority and female writers for their comics, and they still cancel the ones that don't sell. All that matters is if the stories are good or not and people like female Thor, Ms marvel, Captain marvel, black panther ect ect which is why they're books aren't cancelled.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole diversity thing is about the same as the over abundance of new characters in the 90s and again in the early 2000's it's far from the first time they've made a bunch of newbies to try and widen their audience what sticks will stay what doesn't will go and the cycle will repeat
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    I don't really read the comics, but I don't understand the big deal about the whole "diversity" thing thats going on at Marvel, from either side.

On the one hand, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if enough people don't like it, they'll stop making them.

On the other hand, I don't understand people who see blatant pandering to be somehow breaking boundries.

The last time I was reading comics it was when Valiant started back up and Astro City was one of the few non-Valiant titles I read at that time It's always been consistently an awesome title.

That's how I see it. The only real agenda Marvel has is to make more money and the one constant method of trying to do that for any publisher is to widen your audience. You don't do that by doing the same thing you've been doing, you try new things and see what sticks. Back in the 90s it was throwing "gritty" new characters at the wall, today it's a diversity of characters to find what will appeal to new customers. And the sad truth is, brand new characters with no history to cash in on tend not to latch on very well. Piggybacking on an established character gives the current reader a reason to try them out, at least.
    Don't forget pouches. Everyone in the 90s needed lots of pouches

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I don't really read the comics, but I don't understand the big deal about the whole "diversity" thing thats going on at Marvel, from either side.
    On the one hand, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if enough people don't like it, they'll stop making them.
    On the other hand, I don't understand people who see blatant pandering to be somehow breaking boundries.
    *shrugs*
    They called it "diversity" but it really wasn't. It was more the same shitty "controversial" route. Controversy sells, or so they said, but they declined to use the word so they instead changed the core characters and called it "diversity." But real diversity would have made original characters, not reflections. Refer back to the 70s were the diversity angle worked well with original creations.

----------------

*sigh*
    Reading comic books used to be fun times. No socio-political bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Don't forget pouches. Everyone in the 90s needed lots of pouches
    Liefeld 101:Pouches, bandoliers of ammunition(which at least half the time couldn't be fired by any weapon being carried), firearms with anywhere from 2 to 5 barrels and at MINIMUM a laser sight and 2 different scopes, a serrated combat "knife" as long as my leg, and a physique clearly built with roids.

Spider-Gwen actually referenced this in one issue. Her powers had been negated or something, so she raided the villain's armory and came back with like a half dozen ridiculous guns, bullet belts, swords, etc, with the line "Okay, now it's time to party like it's 1993!"

- - - Updated - - -

I've not read Morning Glories, but if it's as good as the current Captain HYDRA run, I'll check it out for sure! Really enjoying the twists and craziness they've been pulling since day one.
    I've only read the first 25 issues so far, but Morning Glories is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    *sigh*
    Reading comic books used to be fun times. No socio-political bullshit...
    The Death of Gwen Stacy series had an anti-drug subplot.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.