Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    By your logic, websites with ads should be paying you because "without me they'd have no one to view their ads!"

What an absurd thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Everyone loves Twitch, I get it I get it, but there is a rather disturbing underbelly of revenue being forgotten or perhaps not seen.

Now the big games are all multiplayer of course, League, Overwatch, WoW and the like, games that need other players so they can actually exist. And that boys and girls is my point.

If these streamers did not have me to play against, they wouldn't be able to make any kind of money now wouldn't they?

Is there anything in any game TOS that I give up my right to play privately or am I forced to be on someone's Twitch stream as they make money off my game avatar? If they are making money, be it from donations or ad revenue, where is my cut? The games mentioned before require me for them to be actual games for the most part, am I supposed to give up my rights to gaming privacy for others to benefit financially?

Riddle me this...

If your child was in a school play and another parent filmed it and sold it for a substantial profit without giving you anything even though your child was in the play, would you not want a share?

I'm just a simple man, but if someone is making money off me, you better show me something something.

Jimmy Thick-<--- Wanting his cake and eat it too.
    Don't worry. No one is making money off you. Unlike a twitch streamer no one cares to see your mediocre game play.

Also, the odds of actually being put into a game with one of them unless you actively seek it out is pretty small. Especially a popular game like Overwatch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly you should realise you have no rights to privacy in this regard but even if you did you would forgo them by your own actions the moment you voluntarily joined the game.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    I thought about making a stream myself.

Then i wondered who would be interested in watching a bavarian old guy talking about his favorite ESO class in broken english and stopped thinking about it.

The depths of a frail ego never disappoint.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I thought about making a stream myself.

Then i wondered who would be interested in watching a bavarian old guy talking about his favorite ESO class in broken english and stopped thinking about it.
    Do you have tits?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

@Puupi probably nailed it, whatever rights you think you might have will be given up to whoever made the game or runs the servers.

Some other interesting observations about video game licenses.

Say you have a streamer playing a popular game and earning revenue. The company who made the game could ask for a cut of that revenue as is their right.

But...

What about the other players in the stream? Technicality they could also be charged for revenue if they were playing in the same stream as someone who is making revenue.

Still exploring this subject and asking several legal outlets.

Jimmy Thick- Exhausting all avenues not dipped in chocolate.

Take the streamer who you grouped with to court about this and let us know how it go's for you.

I don't know how advertising works either and I'm pissed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I don't know how advertising works either and I'm pissed!
    I giggled

OT: No, you don't get money. If ANYONE was going to get money from it (they aren't) it would be the publishers.

In Blizzard games if a streamer reveals their friend list with real ids, your personal information could be exposed to others and could possibly cause potential harm. Not likely of course but possible.

I'm going to send a missive to Blizzards support about these potential hazardous issues and get their legal response to these important questions.

Jimmy Thick-Cant make an omelette...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Do you have tits?
    You would watch old bavarian guys.. with tits?

What has this world evolved to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    In the US there's no law that generally stops you from photographing or taking a videos of people in public and selling them. There are specific situations where you could be sued, but that's it.
    It basically boils down to this. While in a multiplayer online game, you are essentially in a "public" place. Though as far as I know, this hasn't been firmly established by case law, so it could potentially be challenged. It would also depend upon what the fine print in the TOS of whatever game you're playing says about recorded gameplay. I would bet a lot of companies with games popular enough to be streamed have legalese saying your gameplay could be recorded or retransmitted, and by agreeing to the TOS, you give up any rights to the replay.

However, if you did challenge the "public space" issue, the best you could probably get out of it would be to get a streamer to take down any content you were involved in (citing privacy concerns); it would be a difficult argument to get them to pay you "your cut", since you didn't play an active role in the generation of the income (you didn't create, edit, post the video, you didn't host the server or game, etc.).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmkyungri View Post
    Heres how you do it, get a rope, tie it into a noose, find a high object, then wrap it around yourself and jump., at that point entitled jimmy will get lots of money
    Sort of like you just did to your account? Way to go, slugger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    You would watch old bavarian guys.. with tits?

What has this world evolved to?
    Tits make everything better.

Is it a girl? Tits make it better.
    Is it a boy? Tits make it better.
    Is it an inanimate object? Tits make it better.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Jimmy Thick? Well, nomen est omen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dude i hope you are just trolling because if not i feel really bad for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You tell them OP!

I want my cut being a twitch chat hype man, too! What would chat be without people like me who keep the memes fresh and the emoji scrolling? cmonBruh

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Daveon View Post
    It basically boils down to this. While in a multiplayer online game, you are essentially in a "public" place. Though as far as I know, this hasn't been firmly established by case law, so it could potentially be challenged. It would also depend upon what the fine print in the TOS of whatever game you're playing says about recorded gameplay. I would bet a lot of companies with games popular enough to be streamed have legalese saying your gameplay could be recorded or retransmitted, and by agreeing to the TOS, you give up any rights to the replay.

However, if you did challenge the "public space" issue, the best you could probably get out of it would be to get a streamer to take down any content you were involved in (citing privacy concerns); it would be a difficult argument to get them to pay you "your cut", since you didn't play an active role in the generation of the income (you didn't create, edit, post the video, you didn't host the server or game, etc.).
    How is a video game considered "public space" when it could be considered a "virtual world". If I shoot someone in a public space outside my home I go to prison, in a video games virtual world I get points. There seems to be questions that need defining.

Also, ponder this...

Say someone is streaming World Of Warcraft and someone in the streamers group has a meltdown over gameplay and goes off on a racist rant, not uncommon. Well because of this stream, which the guy who went on the racist rant did not know he was being streamed but because of it, someone takes action against him, finds out who he is and ruins his life. In this age of social media police, that could happen. Im not saying going on a racist rant is right, but if he did not know his privacy was being streamed, he would have a legal case to sue the streamer for invasion of privacy.

Then fingers are going to be pointed.

Also recording someone's voice without their permission in certain states of the United States violates wiretap laws.

Jimmy Thick- Redefining the gaming experience for the better.
    Last edited by Jimmy Thick; 2017-04-27 at 12:23 AM.

Deleted
    If you want a cut of the video gaming money, why don't you just stream yourself?