Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Italy =/= China.
    Yeah those chinchunching and their bamboo scaffolding am I right.

What would they know?

*stares at Beijing CCTV building*

Oh... right....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    God damn animals coming back and ruining nature. They need to either start paying rent or get the fuck out. I'm paying for a miraculous juxtaposition of nature and architecture, not to see some shitty deer.
    I have an idea! Fill them trees with poisonous treats. To hell with those damn cute little birds.

7+ Year Old Account
    http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texa...og-1506484.php We been doing this since 2005. I don't know how well it's going to address their problem. They have brown air, how much of that crap gets brought in the rain and can the plants handle that shit water?

Meanwhile in America....
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Yeah, those roots aren't gonna be a structural issue or anything. Nosirree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Yeah, those roots aren't gonna be a structural issue or anything. Nosirree.
    Not if you design the place properly.

It's like you think this is the first time anything's been planted in a bed before.

They should move more of their people to cave homes, China has a fuckton of people who already live in cave homes like they do in the M.E. and they are insane for thermal heating/cooling.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not if you design the place properly.

It's like you think this is the first time anything's been planted in a bed before.
    But its like architects have been dreaming about this forever, its not a new idea. Fundamentals just make it unfeasible. One of the truisms in engineering is that "nature will always surprise you".

Sure plants in a bed is nothing new. But its a rather glib way to frame 10m trees in beds on a high rise. Plantings at this scale, height, and volume all combine to be something very new. They're inviting all kinds of surprise into their project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    But its like architects have been dreaming about this forever, its not a new idea. Fundamentals just make it unfeasible. One of the truisms in engineering is that "nature will always surprise you".

Sure plants in a bed is nothing new. But its a rather glib way to frame 10m trees in beds on a high rise. Plantings at this scale, height, and volume all combine to be something very new. They're inviting all kinds of surprise into their project.
    They really aren't. We've been doing this stuff for the better part of a century. It isn't new, at all. We've just never bothered with high-rises, because it wasn't the aesthetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    They really aren't. We've been doing this stuff for the better part of a century. It isn't new, at all. We've just never bothered with high-rises, because it wasn't the aesthetic.
    Please list the buildings with "a total of 1,100 trees and 2,500 cascading shrubs on their rooftops and balconies" from 100 years ago. And it should be high rise structures, which is typically a minimum of 23m or 75' by UBC.

It wasnt done because it presents a whole new set of engineering issues. You have extra load, extra water, so you'll need a stronger or larger structural core. Do you sacrifice square footage to accommodate higher structural requirements. Because those trees aren't paying rent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Please list the buildings with "a total of 1,100 trees and 2,500 cascading shrubs on their rooftops and balconies" from 100 years ago. And it should be high rise structures, which is typically a minimum of 23m or 75' by UBC.

It wasnt done because it presents a whole new set of engineering issues. You have extra load, extra water, so you'll need a stronger or larger structural core. Do you sacrifice square footage to accommodate higher structural requirements. Because those trees aren't paying rent.
    There's no reason you'd need to count the number of plants, that's just a matter of scale. Particularly since, y'know, plants are meant to survive on their own outside.

As for examples;

We've had the ability to do this for a long time. We just haven't bothered because it largely wasn't worth the effort to us, given standards and expecations of prior eras. That's changing, meaning we can bother to do this. Putting the plants on balconies rather than roofs isn't the massive engineering challenge you seem to think.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    uuuuuh you... breath it? the waste in this instance should be oxygen.
    wait do you really think the only waste from trees is oxygen or are you being sarcastic?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Do...Do you not know how trees work?
    alot of leafs fall off in the fall?

China is known for caring a lot about the environment. So I, for one, would be very surprised if this didn't came to fruition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Uh

Not all species...

10+ Year Old Account
    So we might need to develop a technology to handle those leaves. Maybe some kind of system to shift, or let's say "rake" them into a pile for collection. Or if you want to get mechanical, some kind of vacuum to "blow" the leaves into a sack.

I wonder if anything like that exists already.

A lot of urban development requires that highrises create a certain amount of green space anyway, creating the "tower in the park" look. And those grounds have maintenance staff. This changes nothing, really, in that regard, it just means they're spending more time raking leaves up and less time mowing lawns.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fewer than you'd get in any public park or tree-lined street. It's not like you end up with 40 foot tall maple trees on your balcony with this kind of construction.
    how many people are hanging out in public parks in storms? and if there are as many trees as in the pics that's a crap ton more braches then any tree lined street.

10+ Year Old Account
    how many people are hanging out in public parks in storms? and if there are as many trees as in the pics that's a crap ton more braches then any tree lined street.
    The vast majority of branches that fall in storms aren't a big worry, and by the same token that you've got less people in parks, you've got less people on the streets.

And let's be clear, we're only talking about vertical fall, because anything windswept is just as easily picked up from anywhere, not just the foliage on the towers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Uh

Not all species...
    the trees in the pictures do i'm just going off what i'm seeing.

wait do you really think the only waste from trees is oxygen or are you being sarcastic?
    It's the only waste that matters when it comes to cleaning the air. C02 comes in O2 comes out, can't explain that.

7+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of branches that fall in storms aren't a big worry, and by the same token that you've got less people in parks, you've got less people on the streets.

And let's be clear, we're only talking about vertical fall, because anything windswept is just as easily picked up from anywhere, not just the foliage on the towers.
    don't know about you but alot of people still go out even in storms and are on the streets when they gotta get from a to b, not many people play in parks in storms how ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    It's the only waste that matters when it comes to cleaning the air. C02 comes in O2 comes out, can't explain that.
    i mean your not wrong i guess if you want to see it that way......

Well kind of a cool looking thing--- do people realize how much trees weigh though? I mean just trimming those things, and the extra structure you have to dedicate to supporting them has to come at a huge cost. I'm wondering if there is a better plant for this kind of thing.

Still is aesthetically pleasing though.