Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Such as what?
    Well, first off there's the fact that you're not going to be elected if you're not a Christian, for a variety of reasons, so pretty much everyone has to pay lip service to the faith regardless of their beliefs. In some cases this goes well beyond "I'm a Christian but that's not how I'll govern"; Rick Santorum, a Republican presidential nominee, said that our nation's values “are based on Biblical truth… And, those truths don’t change just because people’s attitudes may change.” He used this as his basis for opposing same-sex marriage.

Second, there are a ton of laws that are inspired by religion, if not overtly religious themselves. Look at the number of places that don't serve alcohol on Sundays, for instance; there's no secular reason to do that, but most Christian sects keep Sunday as their holy day so there's all sorts of religious reasons. There are also numerous laws regarding abortion, homosexuality, etc, that are pushed the way they are because of religious beliefs. Oklahoma's new "A woman must get the man's permission in order to get an abortion" isn't overtly religious, but there is no possible way that law had any origin other than Christians trying to force others to live the way they want them to live, for instance. (They can't actually outlaw abortion, so they're doing what they can within the confines of [I]Roe v. Wade/I]).

*shrug* You're not going to find a law that says "You must live by Christian rules." There are plenty of cities and states, however, that have enforced that in their laws, and in ways that have nothing to do with nigh-universal rules such such as "don't kill or steal".

Religion was making all the discoveries in the middle ages, because they had the money. They built universities and funded scholars.

Even the psychological aspect of being at ease with death because you believe there's a heaven helps people.

Then there's the moral laws like '' don't steal '' '' don't fuck anyone but your spouse '' which had their purpose.

You think having laws against cheating is a bad thing? It's not. Some humans are animals with no morals. Better to impose them than to let them run rampant.
    Religion is not necessary for those laws, though that perspective is one commonly held by the religious (I can't tell you the number of people who've told me I cannot possibly have morals, nevermind that I'm not even an atheist, simply not a Christian.) Imposing laws does not require religion, and if you need to scare people into obedience there are plenty of ways to do that without invoking God. Many philosophers have arrived at similar conclusions without using religion to get there.

(And even in your statements, "don't fuck anyone but your spouse" is very much a subjective position. I know people that willingly have an open marriage; they love each other, but are not physically exclusive with one another. The couple I know is incredibly loving and I have no doubts that they will remain married until their death, but from your statement here they're immoral people because they don't live by the Christian view of marriage, regardless of what else they do in their lives.)

Religion did make all (or at least most of) the discoveries in the middle ages. There were a lot of reasons for that, including the fact that they truly believed in a quest for truth, and believed anything they did as part of that quest would ultimately help both science and faith.

However, we don't need to rely on religious institutions to preserve knowledge these days, and they aren't the only ones seeking truth. Indeed, many such institutions now oppose a quest for truth, preferring to push their own vision of the world (see: Creationism, that denies all scientific evidence that directly contradicts their views). The Catholic Church and the Roman Inquisition found Galileo guilty of heresy in 1633 for believing that the Earth was not the center of the universe, something they did not admit fault in or apologize for until 1992.

I do not believe that religion in the past was inherently harmful; many of those who followed religion were simultaneously seeks of truth and justice, and did many great things. Modern religion, however, more and more is demonstrating a desire not to push humanity forward, but to hold it back. Saudi Arabia is an extreme example of that, but not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    So in Romania there isn't such a thing as closed stores on Sunday? I'm not sure how it works over in Romania, but im pretty sure that you will find some forms of religion in law if you go and look for them. Laws like these often do not get chanced, but they rather choose not to enforce them.

It does sound like bull shit, but there is a thread on MMO-C about it. Had the same reaction as you, but clearly the people baking it into law disagree with us.
    There are, but that's because weekends are days you want to work less on.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, first off there's the fact that you're not going to be elected if you're not a Christian,
    Nothing to do with laws. That's just people. And they get to choose who they want to vote. Democracy.

There are also numerous laws regarding abortion, homosexuality, etc, that are pushed the way they are because of religious beliefs.
    I'm not religious and I think abortion is morally wrong. It has nothing to do with abortion.

Some people can be homophobic without being religious, they just don't like the image.

(And even in your statements, "don't fuck anyone but your spouse" is very much a subjective position. I know people that willingly have an open marriage; they love each other, but are not physically exclusive with one another
    Okay. I'm talking about couples where one partner divorces, takes half the shit, then goes to fuck someone else, who they were already fucking during the marriage.

That shit should be punished.

Deleted
    There are, but that's because weekends are days you want to work less on.
    And how do you think it came to be sunday and not thursday that its weekend? Point is, religion is still very much entrenched in our lives, even if we do not think to much about it.

And how do you think it came to be sunday and not thursday that its weekend? Point is, religion is still very much entrenched in our lives, even if we do not think to much about it.

I love weekends tho.

Deleted
    I love weekends tho.
    I think it is the only redeemable part of religion

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another reason. Why UN must be disbanded. To allow a country like this so much influence in the UN... I am sure liberals and feminists will be too afraid to condem Saudi Arabia.

I think it is the only redeemable part of religion
    It's not, there are plenty good things religion's done for mankind.

Even when they were taxing the peasants, that money was used to building shit, development, the good of the community.

Whereas the peasant would just spend it on wine or something.

Dictators aren't inherently bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a modern Christian perspective, this isn't a valid cause to put someone to death.

Saudi Arabia
    Yeah, just as I thought. No surprise.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a terrible thing to someone executed for something like this in 2017 still. I wished they at least started a with a moratorium on death penalty because as a punishment it's nothing but backwards and without merits. If they for now don't like blasphemy and apostasy that's fine but using disproportionate measures in a case where the only gaugeable effect is literally one less mouth to feed is pretty brutal, inhuman and archaic.

The UN on the other hand should start sorting themselves out according to which scale they are announcing countries to head some resorts, it still hasn't left the Cold War era and I do believe the UN should continue to exist just not in the same form as it is now.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    And this is why there is zero place for religion in civilized society.
    Agreed. And even in the civilized societies that do have it. There's really no place. Religion serves as an arbitary division. It needs to go.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you Saudi Arabia, the leaders of the UN Human Rights Council and the leaders of the UN Women's Rights Council, the biggest ally of the EU and USA in the Middle-East and the point to muslim country when it comes to proving how civilized they are.
    They aren't leaders in either UNHRC or UNCSW. Stop spreading bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    I'm not sure how it is in America as i do not live there, but here in Europe allot of countries still have blasphemy laws, it has to be quiet on sundays and stores can't be open because of religion. From what i can think off in America i think there was just something that gays can't adopt children because somehow the person that could not be bothered to raise those children might be religious and having "their children" raised by gays would be "hurting their freedom of religion".
    What countries? Here in west stores are open on sundays, and people arent quiet(even tho that would be nice).

We do have blasphemy laws, but 3 people have been fined in 150 years, so its not like they are used. They should be removed, but most people probably doesn't even know they exist.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    From a modern Christian perspective, this isn't a valid cause to put someone to death.
    Even from a Christian time in 70 A.D. was it a valid cause. Granted, some bad crap has been done in the name of Christianity during the past, but such actions are not representative of all Christians. And I am sure the actions of some Muslims are not a representative of all Muslims. Same for the Jews. The Old testament for example gives the death penalty for adultery. I am sure there are a lot of Jews today who would not agree with it being a valid reason for punishment of adultery.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    No, atheists just do stupid shit to others for personal gain
    Which is something theists never do, right? LOL! Let me guess, you're one of those people whom find it hard to understand where atheists get their sense of morals from seeing as how they don't get them from a figment of imagination!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Even from a Christian time in 70 A.D. was it a valid cause.
    That's why I said "from a modern Christian perspective." To kill someone before they know Christ as their savior is a profound disservice to the Lord and that person in the eyes of a Christian today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    They aren't leaders in either UNHRC or UNCSW. Stop spreading bullshit.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/washing...-unhcr/5478031
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/25/wo...mmission-trnd/

Not like this is the main point of the topic, but i didn't expected much from you and Nixx

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    That's why I said "from a modern Christian perspective." To kill someone before they know Christ as their savior is a profound disservice to the Lord and that person in the eyes of a Christian today.
    I see your point. And agree. But I personally believe as a Christian you have the right to defend yourself and others. Which could be the death of someone who is not a Christian. Just a thought. Killing someone for the simple reason they used blasphemously terms, is unacceptable to any Christian. A real Christian at least.

Deleted
    Man, i wonder why they would sentence him to death for his lack of religious belief.

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7703161.html

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you Saudi Arabia, the leaders of the UN Human Rights Council and the leaders of the UN Women's Rights Council, the biggest ally of the EU and USA in the Middle-East and the point to muslim country when it comes to proving how civilized they are.
    He wasnt sentenced to death for being an atheist, he was sentenced to death for apostasy. His was sentenced to death for leaving Islam, not because he believed something different. It is still fucking lunacy but, it is slightly two different things.