Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

“You want to keep the EU funds, but you don’t want our values.” - EU to Hungary

https://www.ft.com/content/425fc8de-...8-168383da43b7

Senior EU leaders on Wednesday rounded on Hungary’s prime minister Viktor Orban for waging a campaign against the bloc, ratcheting up tension between Brussels and Budapest.

Mr Orban’s government has been running a “Stop Brussels” campaign in Hungary, sending 8m letters to citizens accusing the EU of jeopardising the country’s independence with some of its policies.

Hungary’s Eurosceptic turn since 2014 under Mr Orban, a self-proclaimed “illiberal” leader, has alarmed Europe’s mainstream politicians and highlighted the EU’s limited options for policing democratic standards among its member states.

The European Commission on Wednesday published a four-page rebuttal to Budapest’s multimillion-euro information campaign, saying the consultation contained six claims that were “factually incorrect or highly misleading”.

“Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts,” Frans Timmermans, commission vice-president told Mr Orban.

Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament’s chief Brexit negotiator, said Mr Orban had turned his back on democratic principles.

“You signed up to the values of the Union. You have violated every single one of them. And yet you want Hungary to remain a member of the European Union,” Mr Verhofstadt said. “You want to keep the EU funds, but you don’t want our values.”

The Hungarian prime minister was in Brussels to defend his government in a debate in the European Parliament.

His visit came as Brussels began legal proceedings against Hungary’s government over newly adopted university regulations, seen as an attack on the independent Central European University in Budapest.
    The EU apparatchiks are going too far again. I really hope this serves as a wake up call to France and other EU sceptics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cybran, for once, we are in agreement. The EU's "values" erode national sovereignty. If Brussels wants to push Hungary out of the EU and into the Russian-led Eurasian Economic Union, this is the way to do it.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

So wait, Hungary needs to accept EU values but islamic economic migrants don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    No way, that would be double standards! oh wait.... /s
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Thunder Focus Tea can now be combined with a bit of milk and a few drops of vanilla extract to produce a lovely hot beverage for all seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course.

Hungary is a poor country full of barbaric people, they need to be converted to western society through any means. Islamic migrants on the other hand, are highly educated people moving due to terrible, terrible things happening in their countries of origin. An amazing group of peace loving, tolerant individuals that seek help and are willing to share their civilization as a means to improve ours.

I think the difference is obvious.

Deleted
    That's a very one sided and biased article...
    Yes, in the debate he took big hits but in my opinion in his closing speech he mop the floor with Verhostadt and the others.
    Ha answered the citation in the title too.

I'm way too lazy to copy the speech, skip to 1:31:00 if anyone is interested

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing Brussels is good for is sprouts but even that is a controversial thing.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Who said that? You follow the rules, no matter who you are.
    If you don't, you're free to leave.

Care to provide the exemptions in all the EU countries codes of law, that Islamic refugees have?

There's none that I know of, but since you seem to know of some illuminati alterations of the legal code, surely you can provide the proof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Who said that? You follow the rules, no matter who you are.
    If you don't, you're free to leave.
    The problem starts when they do follow the rules, like Schengen and DublinIII, but they are vilified for it by those who don't.

When you bash those who openly criticize and want to reform an absurd and idiotic system and pet those who act like a well trained dog but then do the same thing (see: after 2 years still only 10% of the relocation quota is done, meanwhile more people arrive MONTHLY than what we should resettle and still no one bash the other 27 nation why they don't fulfil their dutyt)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Of course.

Hungary is a poor country full of barbaric people, they need to be converted to western society through any means. Islamic migrants on the other hand, are highly educated people moving due to terrible, terrible things happening in their countries of origin. An amazing group of peace loving, tolerant individuals that seek help and are willing to share their civilization as a means to improve ours.

I think the difference is obvious.
    you forgot to add in this description of those ambitious educated people that those who migrated are mostly doctors/architecs/engineers etc etc for whom western civilisation is model of best culture there is

only this stubborn hungary and poland seem to not see all the positive values and amazing cultural enrichemtns they bring into eu and which signs we see on daily basis in news . but dont worrly slowly but steadily they will convert too and see all the positives

Deleted
    Haha . Touché.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you forgot to add in this description of those ambitious educated people that those who migrated are mostly doctors/architecs/engineers etc etc for whom western civilisation is model of best culture there is

only this stubborn hungary and poland seem to not see all the positive values and amazing cultural enrichemtns they bring into eu and which signs we see on daily basis in news . but dont worrly slowly but steadily they will convert too and see all the positives
    Oh how right you are. I can't begin to express how naïve countries like Hungary are being, they need to start embracing change, Islamization is actually a step in the right direction. These people invented coffee and universities for the love of Allah!

May peace be with you all.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have listened to Verhofstadt's speech and he didn't disappoint me.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    And the EU is correct.

The EU is funding the Central European University and the Hungarian Government is trying to twist it to its purpose because the uni is not bowing down to Orban. It is one of the world leading Universities with no Hungarian Uni even comming close to approcahing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I have listened to Verhofstadt's speech and he didn't disappoint me.
    Hehe... if you like this much getting informed by one sided biased liar mental patients then you should watch the speech of the italian Pittella, he makes a million times better performance than Verhofstadt

He starts speaking at 34:00 in the video i linked above

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    And the EU is correct.

The EU is funding the Central European University and the Hungarian Government is trying to twist it to its purpose because the uni is not bowing down to Orban. It is one of the world leading Universities with no Hungarian Uni even comming close to approcahing it.
    You can't be this dumb... you look at the name of the university and conjure up fake facts?
    It's funded by György Soros and the tuition fee they collect, the EU has nothing to do with it
    And no Hungarian Uni can come close to it, because they are not allowed to hand out USA accredited diplomas. Meanwhile the CEU doesn't even have a campus in the USA, they used a backdoor in the Hungarian law witch allowed them to rent a building with a secretary in the USA. Oh, and by the way they wouldn't be allowed to open an Uni with the same conditions in Germany, France, Austria etc.... that's what Orban is fixing
    Last edited by mmoc744a9bccb6; 2017-04-27 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    Hehe... if you like this much getting informed by one sided biased liar mental patients then you should watch the speech of the italian Pittella, he makes a million times better performance than Verhofstadt

He starts speaking at 34:00 in the video i linked above

- - - Updated - - -

You can't be this dumb... you look at the name of the university and conjure up fake facts?
    It's funded by György Soros and the tuition fee they collect, the EU has nothing to do with it
    Throwing insults around, is that the best counter arguement you can come up with?

My point still stands that the CEU is one of the worlds leading Universities with no Hungarian Universitiy even getting close to in rankings. Also the EU does fund Universities. It also funds research projects at universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The only thing Brussels is good for is sprouts but even that is a controversial thing.
    It's only the middle of the day, but I doubt I'll find a comment that I'll enjoy more, during the rest of the day. So you win it, good sir, you win my Internet for the day.

-

On topic to not leave it blank: I agree with the EU, there is standard of values that one should, at least, respect.
    If only this issue wasn't so dire in some situations, such as this, and so negligible on others.
    Last edited by Darkeon; 2017-04-27 at 01:54 PM.

jej, they should keep the money. The EU wont need it anymore after the break up.
    Working on my next ban.