Thread: DH Flight Form

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I imagine this will be a change that Blizz will implement at some point in the future, maybe not in Legion, but definitely eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuZWw View Post
    Blizzard response to that was that even Illidan didn't use his wings for Long flights. He just hovered most of the time.

i think it would be cool, even if it was just a glyph just like this monk one that lets him levitate while meditatin or something like that(don't really remember how it works) at slow flight speed
    Yea I'd be OK with gliding in areas I can't fly and the "ghetto flying" in places I can.

If they just made it run speed I'd be ok with that...

Or give my jump a bigger...and I really mean BIGGER vertical and I'd be ok gliding everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Well, it's the same principle as with the Transformed Adepts that manage to stay in Metamorphosis permanently (ADEPTS!).

So basically, they're better than you at that aswell.
    Maybe they're adepts since they can't go back to normal. So they lost their form, and ours is stronger demon form since we have more control over it...or some bullshit (similar to feral worgens).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cove210 View Post
    Everytime an illidari npc comes to my aid on the broken shore, I watch enviously as they bound into the sky when they depart. Does anyone else wish that instead of a bat mount they would just allow us to use our own wings to fly?
    I'd already be happy if our tank meta would get some wings. Just glowing akwardly sucks, I mean what is this - Twilight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Yep, I remember Zen Flight. It was super slow but I remember at some point I couldn't fly but could use that, either due to level or whatever.
    Zen Flight is actually worthless outside of zones where flying is enabled. You can't even use it unless you are in a flight enabled zone. Right now, since I unlocked flight in Legion, I mostly use it to fish over the water since it let's you fish/mine/herb etc while "mounted". However, it's not a movement increase at all, it might even be a movement nerf. I travel super slow on it.

Oh it's also useful to escape certain WQ areas. Like as soon as you exit combat, you can use it to float above the mobs and then summon your mount while up there. You can't use it in combat, but you can use it in this manner.

Oh and as long as you're out of combat, you can use it as a parachute ability. So jump off a ledge and then use it before you hit the ground. Again, kinda worthless since you already have flying anyway, so you wouldn't have to jump off anything any more. The times you do have to jump, like to escape from a mob or PvP dude trying to gank you, it won't work because you'll be in combat. So you're still better off using the goblin glider which works in combat.

TLDR: Zen Flight is pretty shitty, you wouldn't want it, trust me.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2017-04-28 at 09:27 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Zen Flight is actually worthless outside of zones where flying is enabled. You can't even use it unless you are in a flight enabled zone. Right now, since I unlocked flight in Legion, I mostly use it to fish over the water since it let's you fish/mine/herb etc while "mounted". However, it's not a movement increase at all, it might even be a movement nerf. I travel super slow on it.

Oh it's also useful to escape certain WQ areas. Like as soon as you exit combat, you can use it to float above the mobs and then summon your mount while up there. You can't use it in combat, but you can use it in this manner.

Oh and as long as you're out of combat, you can use it as a parachute ability. So jump off a ledge and then use it before you hit the ground. Again, kinda worthless since you already have flying anyway, so you wouldn't have to jump off anything any more. The times you do have to jump, like to escape from a mob or PvP dude trying to gank you, it won't work because you'll be in combat. So you're still better off using the goblin glider which works in combat.

TLDR: Zen Flight is pretty shitty, you wouldn't want it, trust me.
    I don't recall it being instant-cast. Has it always been that way, since MoP, or did they change it? i could have sworn it had a cast time but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

As for being able to herb/fish or even MOUNT while on it in addition to it being an instant cast... I dunno man, I can DEFINITELY think of uses for that. WPVP instant-mounting the second you drop combat and then getting on a real mount while in the air? That's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Blizzard actually talked about this at one point and said that initially the plan was using wings to fly, but they changed their mind and settled on gliding instead of flying.
    If I'm not mistaken they stated that the DH wings weren't as powerful as Illidans and that's why we can't use them to fly like he can, we can only glide with them. When brought up later that people really wanted to be able to just use them as a flying mount they said they would consider it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucreta View Post
    If I'm not mistaken they stated that the DH wings weren't as powerful as Illidans and that's why we can't use them to fly like he can, we can only glide with them. When brought up later that people really wanted to be able to just use them as a flying mount they said they would consider it in the future.
    They might have said that more recently, the quote I was referring to was about very early development.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall it being instant-cast. Has it always been that way, since MoP, or did they change it? i could have sworn it had a cast time but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

As for being able to herb/fish or even MOUNT while on it in addition to it being an instant cast... I dunno man, I can DEFINITELY think of uses for that. WPVP instant-mounting the second you drop combat and then getting on a real mount while in the air? That's nuts.
    It's not an instant-mount though. If you can get on Zen and float away, you could also take that 1.5s and summon a mount. Right now, the only use I found for it is fishing. Maybe collection quests as well, but you'll have to do it as BrM because if mobs daze you in Zen Flight, you'll be knocked off like a mount.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

It's not an instant-mount though. If you can get on Zen and float away, you could also take that 1.5s and summon a mount. Right now, the only use I found for it is fishing. Maybe collection quests as well, but you'll have to do it as BrM because if mobs daze you in Zen Flight, you'll be knocked off like a mount.
    Oh, I thought he was saying it was an instant cast.

Its definitely instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I thought he was saying it was an instant cast.
    It's instant, but it goes at like run speed. It's literally faster to get around on foot then on that thing because at least on foot you can roll/chi torpedo/tigers lust/etc.

Edit: Actually, don't NELFs have like a vanish racial that lets them drop aggro? It'll definitely be useful to them to escape mobs and PvP.

It's instant, but it goes at like run speed. It's literally faster to get around on foot then on that thing because at least on foot you can roll/chi torpedo/tigers lust/etc.

Edit: Actually, don't NELFs have like a vanish racial that lets them drop aggro? It'll definitely be useful to them to escape mobs and PvP.
    Yeah, Shadowmeld.

Deleted
    I must say I was absolutely disappointed by the bat mount. I don't think I will ever use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucreta View Post
    If I'm not mistaken they stated that the DH wings weren't as powerful as Illidans and that's why we can't use them to fly like he can, we can only glide with them.
    They write the lore. They can and do literally change those things on a whim when it is convenient.

Deleted
    I like the Felbat mount, I wouldn't like Flight Form to replace it.

However, flying as a demon would be very cool and could be added as a glyph, similar to zen flight, which doesn't replace anything either.

What is weird is that the flying demon form is already implemented in the game, it's just not available to players. If you use the Rain From Above pvp talent but don't attack while in the air, you'll see the demon clearly flapping its wings as it slowly descends, similar to a flying mount standing idle in the air.

If they don't want to give us traditional flight, give us some DH-specific "for fun" semi-flight ability like Monks and Druids have. Boomkins have that "flap" ability and Monks have zen flight. I'd be happy with a DH-style combination similar to when we'd use the "Emerald Winds" item with a Glider to get around before flying was unlocked. An ability just like "Flap" for boomkins, just a new button we get via glyph or passive or whatever (if glyph, it could be attached to the glide ability). I guess you could call this one "Flap" too, "Beat Wings" like below, "Soar", idfk I can't think of anything better. Anyways, something like:

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Beat Wings
    2 Charges                 8 sec recharge
    Requires level 105
    Cannot cast in combat

Beat your wings with tremendous force, temporarily propelling you
    forward at increased speed and providing a small amount
    of lift.

(Ignore the "Originally Posted by MMO-Champion" thing, just using that type of quote for the dark background.)

So basically, just like a Boomkin can hit Flap to fly around a little bit, we would have this; but it would be different. We could only use it if we were ALREADY gliding, meaning we'd still have to jump off of something; this lets everything still adhere to the "glide" mechanic and "our wings can't really fly" crap. When you use it, you shoot forward a bit at a faster speed and also gain a bit of lift. Just like when using the Emerald Winds, it's enough to keep you going for a while but you will EVENTUALLY hit the ground; the constant lift from using this is *just* shy of beating out gravity, but in the end you're still, on average, slightly descending. Still, just the ability to see a Demon Hunter glide by and pump his wings to shoot forward for a second would be fucking epic, and it wouldn't break anything as LITERALLY ALL PLAYERS have been doing this for the entire expansion with Emerald Winds. All this doing is letting us do what we can ALREADY DO with that item + glide (or a glider), but instead having it be through a fun class-specific ability. So there's no downside, and in the process you make a lot of players happy and do something pretty cool. The "flap wings" animation for us is literally already in the game as somebody previously mentioned, so there's no reason not to.

Another idea:
    Similar to above, but instead of a new ability the glyph is applied to FEL RUSH. When using the glyph, Fel Rush TURNS IN to the "Pump Wings" (or whatever you call it) ability while gliding. It's effectively the same; we all Fel Rush when we glide, and we get a bit of forward momentum. All this would change is 1) you wouldn't have to manually start gliding again after every Fel Rush, your wings would stay out, and 2) The animation of a wing flap would be added and the sound changed (both already exist). That's it. I like the original idea, but in terms of "a realistic, easy, and simple" way to do this I think this takes the cake. Just as Chaos Strike and Blade Dance transform into other abilities, while Glide is active Fel Rush would transform into Soar/Pump Wings/whatever. Aside from that, it would be the same as above; Fel Rush already uses a charge/recharge system and it would work perfectly.

Regardless of which method you like, this an easy way to satisfy most "DH flight!" players with zero downside and EXTREMELY LOW dev time requirements. Again, consider that: 1) The exact "wing flap" animation we'd need, specifically for our wings, already exists and is used in the game. 2) The sound already exists and is used in the game. 3) Every character in the game can already do this through Emerald Winds and the glider, we would be gaining nothing special (even if other classes DO get special stuff, this is enough for me). -- So it's something we (and all players) are ALREADY able to do and all of the assets for it already exist. I literally can't think of a reason why this couldn't happen. It's not true "flight" but it's close enough for me - if this were added and I could Glide around on my DH and give powerful wing thrusts to increase my speed to a respectable level and maintain the glide for a longer period of time I'd definitely be happy. Again, just shooting by somebody with a massive wing-pump would make my day.

Let's be realistic, a gliding demon hunter is going to flap his wings now and then while gliding. It's not a f'ing parachute, they're wings. Assume Blizzard is "right" and they simply aren't strong enough to fly with; that just means they can't create enough lift, it doesn't mean we can't move the damn things. Right now it's like we're hang-gliding every time we Glide somewhere. This would make a lot more sense. Hell, I think it'd make sense if it were here by default but I think via a glyph is *more* than adequate as any player would be able to use it, and just in case somebody *doesn't* like the idea they wouldn't be stuck with it.

Random rant inc:
    Sigh, I get excited when I type up ideas that I think could genuinely work in the game and that I know make sense, and I'm doing it here as if a blue would ever read this or it would ever happen. That's the one kinda unfortunate thing about WoW; some of the best games I've ever played had heavy developer interaction, and great player ideas were utilized all the time. It's unheard of for a player to have an idea and get it into WoW, which I don't get. If an idea is good, who cares where it comes from? I get there are simply too many players and it's impossible for them to read everything, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't take advantage of a good idea when they happen to stumble across one. Hell, I'm not even talking about this one; I've seen plenty of incredible ideas that would have made the game better and were just ignored, and it just seems like *such* a waste of what could be a potentially reliably and productive resource.
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-05-01 at 06:26 AM.

we can fly when the patch up the holes in our wings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
    we can fly when the patch up the holes in our wings
    Give me some duct tape and about 3 minutes.

I'd like that ability if it's separate from our gliding. I don't wanna be in Stormwind (where I could fly), jump twice and then fly up in the air instead of glide. Have it be a cast spell like a normal mount (or like the worgen form), where during the cast time, the wings sprout from the back and the player jumps into the air or something, kind of like Illidan during the fight. (or cinematic)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I'd like that ability if it's separate from our gliding. I don't wanna be in Stormwind (where I could fly), jump twice and then fly up in the air instead of glide. Have it be a cast spell like a normal mount (or like the worgen form), where during the cast time, the wings sprout from the back and the player jumps into the air or something, kind of like Illidan during the fight. (or cinematic)
    We could have a cast 1.5 secs like the Rain From Above pvp talent. That would solve it. And boom he got flying wings.