Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I wonder if the trees can survive the pollution long enough to grow and be effective...

http://aqicn.org/city/nanjing/

https://www.intechopen.com/books/the...ospheric-pollu

http://www.conserve-energy-future.co...ate-matter.php

While I understand that a lot of these trees and plants will be transplanted, but the prominent type of pollution in China has a detrimental impact on vegetation, specifically:

Vegetation effects

Mortality – Stomatal openings are clogged, leading to failures during the photosynthesis process

PM 2.5 literally chokes the plant to death, not to mention the retention of heavy metals and carcinogenic compounds aren't healthy either. They may get retained by the plant, have a neutral or detrimental effect, or pass through and be concentrated into the environment. The soil would have to be remediated eventually or the plants and surroundings would suffer.

Its a cool idea, I mean they have to try something new. It would be better if they weren't furiously burning coal like they are trying to heat Hell, but hey... who am I to say...

I don't mean to misrepresent science by saying that all pm is bad for all plants. There are plants that will cope with it well enough and even thrive, but then there is the secondary consideration of the presence of the plant itself, its impact on air quality (pollen being a big one), and its ability to be controlled (hi Kudzu), and such.

Another good summary: http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=rjes.2014.356.372
    Last edited by Malfecto; 2017-04-27 at 01:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Hi mate, have you heard of evergreen? Pine trees ring a bell? They are actually real!
    look at the pictures those are not evergreen's, i get that not all trees have leafs but the ones provided by this clearly do and there would be a crap ton of leafs every where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    look at the pictures those are not evergreen's, i get that not all trees have leafs but the ones provided by this clearly do and there would be a crap ton of leafs every where.
    The Milano building is mostly compromised of evergreen shrubs and cedar trees (also evergreen). Although not every single plant species there is evergreen, the great majority is.

Having said that, future projects plan on going 100% evergreen as to avoid residue, that includes the Switzerland version of the Bosco Verticale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This is not even close to true. Global emissions due to deforesting are like 20% of emissions if you're generous and take the largest estimate you can find. No, the biggest source was and still is industry.
    20% of Emissions purely by cutting down the trees or burning them. Then less CO2 absorbed because the trees are lost. Let's not forget much if it is illegal and not recorded such as in Asia.

That's still 20% of Emissions we can cut out now by forcing these Third world countries to stop recklessly destroying the enviroment.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi mate, have you heard of evergreen? Pine trees ring a bell? They are actually real!
    You mean pines? The ones that drop their leaves off all year round at a fucking astounding rate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    20% of Emissions purely by cutting down the trees or burning them. Then less CO2 absorbed because the trees are lost. Let's not forget much if it is illegal and not recorded such as in Asia.

That's still 20% of Emissions we can cut out now by forcing these Third world countries to stop recklessly destroying the enviroment.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean pines? The ones that drop their leaves off all year round at a fucking astounding rate?
    I have a very large piece of land with quite a few tree species and I can assure you, pines do shed all year round, but are not even near deciduous types of oak or else that create tons waste in a few week span of time.

Deleted
    I have a very large piece of land with quite a few tree species and I can assure you, pines do shed all year round, but are not even near deciduous types of oak or else that create tons waste in a few week span of time.
    Jesus, Yes they do. You're talking about a fucking forest, where the forest floor is already inhabited by Fungi and Bacteria designed to feed on Detritus that falls to it, recycling all the dead matter into the soil.

The same doesn't fucking happen on concrete. You'll need to clean up the leaves. And with pines, you'll need to clean them up ALL YEAR ROUND. You armchair outdoorsmen are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Dat UAE tho. Question is (and the data i lack) how much is from industry' how much is from power generation, and lastly from vehicles. Im all for curbing a v8 pick up with "rolling coal" enhancements.
    As there's not much of an industry there, I'd say it's mostly due to shipping and construction.
    However them V8s probably do have an effect as well, after all UAE is filled with those kind of vehicles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    As there's not much of an industry there, I'd say it's mostly due to shipping and construction.
    However them V8s probably do have an effect as well, after all UAE is filled with those kind of vehicles.
    It's honestly hard to tell because Emissions is not an exact science and the situation is heavily politicized. The "Pro-Green" lobby can be just as horrific for the enviroment as the traditional energy lobby.

Seems like a good way to help out with rising CO2 levels. I'm kind of surprised China is coming up with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, Yes they do. You're talking about a fucking forest, where the forest floor is already inhabited by Fungi and Bacteria designed to feed on Detritus that falls to it, recycling all the dead matter into the soil.

The same doesn't fucking happen on concrete. You'll need to clean up the leaves. And with pines, you'll need to clean them up ALL YEAR ROUND. You armchair outdoorsmen are the worst.
    I live IN a fucking forest mate, I care for trees all year 'round because it's a fucking hobby of mine, stop going for the easy "armchain X" win and get over your concrete hylophobia. What a rude young man you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Seems like a good way to help out with rising CO2 levels. I'm kind of surprised China is coming up with this.
    China has a huge problem with smog so it's in their best interest to start looking for ways to combat it before their people start dropping like flies. But they also aren't going to cut back on their use of coal anytime soon since they're still trying to boost themselves up into 1st world status and currently that isn't going to happen with alternative energy. So cheap and easy, dirty energy in the mean time. Which is unfortunate.

The Milano building is mostly compromised of evergreen shrubs and cedar trees (also evergreen). Although not every single plant species there is evergreen, the great majority is.

Having said that, future projects plan on going 100% evergreen as to avoid residue, that includes the Switzerland version of the Bosco Verticale.
    How does an evergreen tree compare to a deciduous one in terms of CO2 reduction? And how much would a city's worth of such buildings actually offset?
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    That's what happens when a country admits it has a problem and works on it : they find solutions.

Meanwhile, others have regressed to developing nations

Yes I would rather live in China too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    How does an evergreen tree compare to a deciduous one in terms of CO2 reduction? And how much would a city's worth of such buildings actually offset?
    Just compare average mass. An evergreen still drops leaves just not in one big dump. That is the CO2 reduction. Imo that is a pretty silly aspect of this to focus on though. If you want to carbon sink with plants plant a forest. What plants do besides CO2 is scrub the air of pollutants. CO2 does not create unhealthy air or smog.

Mexico city had a pretty big "green roof" plan. Between that and banning volkswagens they have had good success in reducing pollution.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I made a thread about this type of green architecture a while ago.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...a-green-future

There is already such a building somewhere else, can't recall right now. It's not just a concept anymore.

Actually, it's the "Bosco Verticale" (Vertical Forest), in Milan. Feel free to google it

Yea, if we could get them to stop large scale deforesting that would be pretty great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I'll believe it when I see it, but if they do do it, good on them. I have a difficult time imagining this'll outweigh the damage they've done with all their other cities, though.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.