Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    I think it falls in line with their design philosophy for the current expansion - emphasizing class fantasy. Hunters, Warlocks and Rogues had their specs changed to fit their identities better. I'm sure if they could, they would remove some specs entirely, like some of the 'redundant' pure DPS specs. It's hard to remove anything that people have already become familiar with though, like taking away Boomkin spec or taking out one of the Rogue specs.

This game has too many specs as it is, but still plenty of classes to explore. I think having a 2-spec class is fine. Even Death Knights technically don't need a Blood Spec to fulfill their class fantasy; that's always been more of a Dreadlord thing anyways. They could have kept Frost the tanking spec and get rid of dual wielding altogether.
    Hmm...as a long-time hunter player, the only time I can remember melee as being a real part of their "class fantasy" was Rexxar. And that's more of the fantasy of Rexxar than the class itself. Melee hunters in WoW were always a joke. I don't really understand why they thought Hunter players wanted a melee spec, or why the game needed yet ANOTHER melee spec in the mix. Although more often these days I think Blizzard just tries too hard to retcon bad ideas. They've always made decisions that seemed out of touch with the playerbase.

But I see your point. And I agree that there are some redundant specs out there. I'd love it if Blizzard moved out of the entire Class-Based system entirely, and switched every skill in the game to one massive Artifact unlock tree like Path of Exile. I guess that wouldn't really fit the game very well, though. Oh well...Wishlist for WoW2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    I love your arguments, you always win. Solid facts though.
    I wouldn't say she ALWAYS wins. But often enough that I respect it too. That's what happens when you base on facts.

Best class ever in this game , or rather one I've had most fun on. Didn't regret coming back once.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

TBH I think they should have split up the Hunter into two classes: Hunter and Ranger. The Hunter would embody the more primal aspects of ranged combat (Beastmastery, throwing weapons, bows, traps) while the Ranger focuses more on infiltration and using enchantments and magic (Dark Ranger spec, Elemental arrows, bows and guns). That way, a melee Hunter spec would fit right in. Right now the Hunter seems too much of a physical ranged 'everyman' who has a little bit of everything but no definitive identity that other classes like Demon Hunters, Paladins and Druids have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Hmm...I don't know if that would have worked as a 4th spec for locks. Warlocks have their own lore going back to the whole corrupting influence of demon blood on orcs. There's actually a fair amount of similarity between how the Orcs were corrupted with demon blood and how DHs are "corrupted" by a demon soul. But I'm not sure if it's close enough to justify putting them all under the same umbrella.

From a gameplay and game-mechanics standpoint I completely agree. But from a lore perspective it would seem VERY strange. Are there any Nelf warlocks in the lore? Are there any Orc demon hunters? I know orcs have a bit of un-tapped potential in the game with Blademasters. They also tend to wear blindfolds and run around without a shirt on, just like Demon Hunters. But would that be enough? I don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the lore can answer that.
    there is orc demon hunters and human ones, but very very few, and they didnt learn fro millidan, they learned from his students, also there was the demon hunter glyph for awhile. also they could have it work the same, we brought illidan back and he teaches the warlocks to be demon hunters, as they arnt that far apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    there is orc demon hunters and human ones, but very very few, and they didnt learn fro millidan, they learned from his students, also there was the demon hunter glyph for awhile. also they could have it work the same, we brought illidan back and he teaches the warlocks to be demon hunters, as they arnt that far apart
    I wonder if it would have worked better to have had "Demon Hunters" work like an Artifact that every class had access to. Locked behind a special Illidan quest line where you learn the skills. That might have been a little too complex to balance, I suppose. Although maybe if they only offered it to Rogues. Warriors, warlocks, and hunters? That would open up possibilities for a similar game mechanic for other groups of classes.

- - - Updated - - -

TBH I think they should have split up the Hunter into two classes: Hunter and Ranger. The Hunter would embody the more primal aspects of ranged combat (Beastmastery, throwing weapons, bows, traps) while the Ranger focuses more on infiltration and using enchantments and magic (Dark Ranger spec, Elemental arrows, bows and guns). That way, a melee Hunter spec would fit right in. Right now the Hunter seems too much of a physical ranged 'everyman' who has a little bit of everything but no definitive identity that other classes like Demon Hunters, Paladins and Druids have.
    Dark Ranger would have fit right in with the idea I just suggested about making Demon Hunter into a special unlock across multiple classes.

Hmm....so instead of calling the unlock "Demon Hunter", call it "Illidan Training". Warlocks get a 4th spec for Demon Hunter. Hunters get Dark Ranger. Warriors get Blademaster, and Rogues get Warden? There's a cool idea.

Blizzard, hire us all as a think-tank. Top wage!

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    the tank spec is fun, the dps one with that rush thing is annoying
    The rush makes it hard to keep track of where your character is located. That can be a pretty big problem when you could get one-shot by several kinds of mechanics. It also makes me want to barf.

Otherwise the mobility is great fun and they have awesome T-Mog potential. I've seen some absolutely stunning sets. No doubt coming from the Wizards Tower.

Yeah I like them but I do wish they had a 3rd spec. Also now that gliding has little value the fun factor decreased a bit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Yeah I like them but I do wish they had a 3rd spec. Also now that gliding has little value the fun factor decreased a bit for me.
    You can still use gliding anywhere indoor, and any time you happen to fall off something. Or in combat. Or any other time that flying can't be used. Don't be so quick to sell it short. It's got a lot of use left.

I liked leveling mine and it was fun doing the limited content I did (heroics / LFR lol) but the fun wore off and now I don't touch it unless I'm making tomes for raid.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

This game has too many specs as it is, but still plenty of classes to explore. I think having a 2-spec class is fine. Even Death Knights technically don't need a Blood Spec to fulfill their class fantasy; that's always been more of a Dreadlord thing anyways. They could have kept Frost the tanking spec and get rid of dual wielding altogether.
    While I agree that dual wielding have no place with Death Knights and that a spec could be on the chopping block, I believe frost is the one furthest from class fantasy and game play of a Death Knight.
    I also believe that the necromancy parts of Death Knight are more blood magic than they are Unholy. Then again, undead were my favourite race in WCIII and DK and Mountain King is why I started with Wow at all.

Hmm....so instead of calling the unlock "Demon Hunter", call it "Illidan Training". Warlocks get a 4th spec for Demon Hunter. Hunters get Dark Ranger. Warriors get Blademaster, and Rogues get Warden? There's a cool idea.

Blizzard, hire us all as a think-tank. Top wage!
    See, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd rather see more classes with few specs, rather than more specs for existing classes. While having base classes that have many varied specs is cool, there are certain unique hooks to a Blademaster identity or a Warden identity that would get lost if it were just a subset of the Warrior and Rogue classes.

If the target goal is 40 specs across all classes, I would rather we have 16+ classes having pures with 2 specs and hybrids with 3. Tier gear could be shared among similar class/spec combos, like Ferals and Rogues, or Blademasters and Fury Warriors. What differs is how each class wears it, like Blademasters only show one shoulder pad, are bare-chested and use robe bottoms instead of pants. Wardens could wear Rogue gear, but are itemized with bladed capes and helms while Rogues get scarves and hood-like headgear. This system could help differentiate specs as well, giving Outlaw rogues a more piratey look to fit their identity. This way, Blizzard could get away with 10-12 Tier Gear designs with slight alterations to fit each spec rather than have to design a completely new tier for each class they add to the game. And if they still have the option to swap back to class-specific tier gear despite this new system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While I agree that dual wielding have no place with Death Knights and that a spec could be on the chopping block, I believe frost is the one furthest from class fantasy and game play of a Death Knight.
    I also believe that the necromancy parts of Death Knight are more blood magic than they are Unholy. Then again, undead were my favourite race in WCIII and DK and Mountain King is why I started with Wow at all.
    Maybe if Blood was a 'Death' spec instead I'd probably be more in favour of keeping it. I do agree as well that Frost is also far away from the original Death Knight identity, especially from Warcraft 2 and 3.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2017-04-27 at 10:04 PM.

death knights and monks were also 100% fanservice, they vent alot of the entire expansions around them, water waking massive mobility? funny how they go hand in hand with some of the raids and dungeons in those expansions.

also they didnt steal spells from warlocks, they got the spells that warlock stole from them
    Death knights weren't fan service, they were a part of the story when the story was actually good. And what fan was asking for monks ever? Most of the new class threads is 3 weirdos spamming lol tinker would be cool.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    the spells taken from warlocks were spells demon hunters had that were given to warlocks because "eh no demon hunters coming"

Vanilla Box Art had a demon hunter in a place that looks like Zul'Gurub

I guess they always had them on the list, just never had a theme to fit it yet. Arthas was far more imminent due to the way it was set up in WC3, and we literally beat(not kill) Illidan before that in TBC.

I loved meta Demo spec in Wotlk tho

And yes I do like Demon hunters, Played mostly vengeance but now trying to get some Havoc Legendaries too.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-04-27 at 10:17 PM.

See, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd rather see more classes with few specs, rather than more specs for existing classes. While having base classes that have many varied specs is cool, there are certain unique hooks to a Blademaster identity or a Warden identity that would get lost if it were just a subset of the Warrior and Rogue classes.

If the target goal is 40 specs across all classes, I would rather we have 16+ classes having pures with 2 specs and hybrids with 3. Tier gear could be shared among similar class/spec combos, like Ferals and Rogues, or Blademasters and Fury Warriors. What differs is how each class wears it, like Blademasters only show one shoulder pad, are bare-chested and use robe bottoms instead of pants. Wardens could wear Rogue gear, but are itemized with bladed capes and helms while Rogues get scarves and hood-like headgear. This system could help differentiate specs as well, giving Outlaw rogues a more piratey look to fit their identity. This way, Blizzard could get away with 10-12 Tier Gear designs with slight alterations to fit each spec rather than have to design a completely new tier for each class they add to the game. And if they still have the option to swap back to class-specific tier gear despite this new system.
    I see your point entirely. But as you said, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm much more of a fan of how Path of Exile does "classes". Or FFXIV, where a single character can access everything. By paring down classes to only two specs, you create more individuality, but the amount of work the players has to do in order to get use of of them is much greater. Alts better damn well be showered in account-wide utility for this to happen. I'm talking on the level of every rep being account wide, every unlock, every achievement.

But at the point we might as well have the FFXIV system of handling characters.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed them for few weeks I was able to play before deploying. They've changed a bit since then from what I've read, but it was a nice bit of lore to explore, it fit the expansion and who doesn't like double jumping and gliding. However, I'd be guilty if I didn't say that it put me in the bad habit of trying to glide on other toons and falling to my death haha.
    When I get back, I'll stick to DH, but part of me still wants to keep maining my Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Death knights weren't fan service, they were a part of the story when the story was actually good. And what fan was asking for monks ever? Most of the new class threads is 3 weirdos spamming lol tinker would be cool.
    I don't know that I agree with that. DKs weren't fanservice on the same level as Demon Hunters. But they were very much tuned directly into the whole fantasy of Arthas and his fall from grace. The only thing I really thought that was missing from playing a DK was a quest lead in that actually converted an existing character from whatever class it was, into a DK. But I'm not sure they had the tech to do that back then. But now? It should totally be a thing if they ever went back and remastered WotLK.

But Demon Hunters? You can tell they were made specifically to boost sales of the game rather than actually being something to improve the overall gameplay. If the class balance really needed another tank, it could have been created from one of the existing redundant specs: Survival Hunters, Demonology locks, or an Evasion tank Rogue. Hell, even frost mages could have been made into a tank spec with a little creative tweaking. And another melee spec? /barf

Add that in with the continued persistence of No-Flying, giving demon hunters not only a built in double jump, but built in gliding and a level 100 start was an obvious incentive to help it sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore wise and looks, i think Demon Hunters are great. They look pretty badass in some of those gear sets as well.

Game play wise though, they didn't appeal to me. Even with the built in glide.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post

Vanilla Box Art had a demon hunter in a place that looks like Zul'Gurub

I guess they always had them on the list, just never had a theme to fit it yet. Arthas was far more imminent due to the way it was set up in WC3, and we literally beat(not kill) Illidan before that in TBC.

I loved meta Demo spec in Wotlk tho

And yes I do like Demon hunters, Played mostly vengeance but now trying to get some Havoc Legendaries too.
    demon hunters and necromancers were planned for vanilla, but ended up not happening and after bc happened they couldent see demon hunters in the future so...
    they added the demon hunter abilities to warlock, metamorph, immolation aura, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Once the novelty of the double jump wears off they are a pretty shitty class imho.

I see your point entirely. But as you said, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm much more of a fan of how Path of Exile does "classes". Or FFXIV, where a single character can access everything. By paring down classes to only two specs, you create more individuality, but the amount of work the players has to do in order to get use of of them is much greater. Alts better damn well be showered in account-wide utility for this to happen. I'm talking on the level of every rep being account wide, every unlock, every achievement.

But at the point we might as well have the FFXIV system of handling characters.
    I think I would actually prefer that system if we were to go that route. The problem I have with say a DH spec for Warlocks is the idea of poking out your eyes and regrowing them every time you changed spec. But if 'Warlock' was the base class and each 'Spec' was a semi-permanent change, I could get behind that idea.

I don't know about the FF14 job system though of one character being all classes. I think that's a bit too flexible, especially considering the class/race restrictions we already have. I like having character identity, and an important reason to have alts.