Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I've yet to watch the show, but from everything I saw they made a cringily hard attempt to be "cool" and "hip". Then again, that's exactly how his original show in the 90's was, and we now look back at that pretty fondly for the most part.

Though it seems like the episode (or that segment) is discussing topics related to sex. Either way, as cringy as the bits I skipped through were it was very much in-line with the kinds of songs you'd hear on the original show. Just you know, by adults and more aimed at adults (as this show apparently is) vs. kids.

TLDR: From what I can tell in this context, yes.
    The difference there seems (to me) that stuff that's really cringey but targeted at kids is kinda cool-kitschy later on. The Power Rangers of the '90s would be a good example. Bill Nye's '90s show would be another. Being 30 years old and still being super into it is just kind of sad though.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    What happened to this Bill?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/th...rticle/2621344

Too bad the text on that image isn't legit.

I couldn't finish it either, and I really like Rachel Bloom and "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend." The whole thing just feels like they're trying way too hard. I never watched Bill Nye though, so maybe that was his thing all along?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/th...rticle/2621344

Too bad the text on that image isn't legit.
    True but it is stated in another episode, as well as the fact that you are either a boy or a girl. Only two possibilities. I'm assuming the picture is just used for a standard bill nye meme.
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 2017-04-27 at 10:40 PM.

I actually watched a couple of episodes to see if it possibly got better

Nope... There's little to no science or education in this show. It's mostly unproven social science (the leftists equivalent of bro-science) provided in a smug and preachy tone.

This show is basically regressive leftist indoctrination. I think they blew their load on this once a little too much. Even many more moderate leftists were turned off by this show.

Ol' Bill has gone so far regressive left that he even attacked the benefits of modern nuclear energy LUL
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-04-27 at 10:41 PM.

True but it is stated in another episode that you are either a boy or a girl. Only two possibilities.
    For biological sex, yes. That's still largely correct, though as research into genetics continues we're discovering it's not quite as binary as we once thought and that biological sex also tends to be more of a "scale" than a "boy or girl", even if the overwhelming majority of us fit nicely into those categories.

Science changes and adapts as new information is presented, or at least it should. So while we once thought of gender and biological sex as a clear binary "boy or girl" choice only, it's increasingly clear that there's both a differentiation between biological sex and gender, and that neither has the clear binary choice we once though was the only thing that existed.

The old episodes are 20 years old, I fully expect a lot of the exact information in them to be outdated compared to what we know now.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    I actually watched a couple of episodes to see if it possibly got better

Nope... There's little to no science or education in this show. It's mostly unproven social science (the leftists equivalent of bro-science) provided in a smug and preachy tone.

This show is basically regressive leftist indoctrination. I think they blew their load on this once a little too much. Even many more moderate leftists were turned off by this show.
    Seen through the lens of a modern religious rite, it probably makes a bit more sense. There's nothing being said that the viewers don't already know (or at least firmly believe), but repeating in communally makes people feel good. Gender is a spectrum, not a binary! Race isn't real, it's a social construct! Can I get an amen?

Of course, these sorts of recital aren't intended to be something that improves scientific knowledge or engages it in any sort of nuanced fashion, it's just a good ol' fashioned sermon to reinforce dogma.

End of the day, you are a boy or you are a girl. You can have sex with whatever you want but there are only 2. You can identify as whatever you want but if you have a penis and testes you're male, if you have a vagina and ovaries you're female.
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 2017-04-27 at 10:48 PM.

End of the day, you are a boy or you are a girl. You can have sex with whatever you want but there are only 2.
    Like it or not, this is not entirely correct. The overwhelming majority of people fit nicely into those categories, and it's very possible you never personally meet someone who doesn't in your lifetime, but that doesn't mean that people who don't fit into that binary don't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome

Is an example of this, if you're curious.

Edit: Realized we're getting into gender discussion so I'll just exist the conversation here. Happy to continue via PM though.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-04-27 at 10:50 PM.

Like it or not, this is not entirely correct. The overwhelming majority of people fit nicely into those categories, and it's very possible you never personally meet someone who doesn't in your lifetime, but that doesn't mean that people who don't fit into that binary don't exist.

Ok so you are male and female unless you have a disorder.

Klinefelter syndrome (KS) also known as 47,XXY or XXY, is the set of symptoms that result from two or more X chromosomes in males... Klinefelter syndrome is one of the most common chromosomal disorders, occurring in 1:500 to 1:1,000 live male births.
    They are still considered males due to still having a Y chromosome

Really bad performance. Good message. What's the problem?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

There's nothing scientific about half the shit on his show. In particular the modern concept of gender is such a nebulous and ambiguous term it's probably best abandoned. Just stick with the XX/XY/mistake that is most likely sterile and has serious issues with a looks good/ok/ugly/crazy qualifier.

What in gods name did i just watch.... You know what im just gonna pretend it was parody, and never speak of this ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, drop the sex / gender talk

Quote Originally Posted by archimonde9999 View Post
    I'm a bit confused by what Bill is trying to link here.

I am all for science and protecting the environment but wtf is going on?

Do you think this material is relevant for a show mainly about science?

Couldn't get past "my vagina has a voice/not vocal cords, a metaphorical voice". I rolled my eyes pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Isn't that what the op is about?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh, how the great have fallen.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    That's literally what the video is about.

What's your angle ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset