Thread: New 2ds xl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This and the Switch will both directly compete with each other and cannibalize each others sales this holiday.

Nintendo's handhelds and consoles have always done so. A lot of pluses to having a hybrid like the switch was stopping said cannibalization but it seems Nintendo still gonna milk the shitty ass 3DS family hardware until it's dead for good.
    How would they cannibalize each other? They have different games all together. Maybe if they shared a game library, I would see a point. However, the switch Still is both a home console and a portable console. Its game library is drastically different. At the very least, that alone will ensure they wont cannibalize each other since you can't buy a New 2ds to play the breath of the wild and you can't but a switch to play pokemon sun and moon.

Maybe if someone is looking for a strictly portable system, the 3ds is for them. However, I doubt anyone who actually asks about what makes them different would think the two are interchangeable and that they could buy one or the other and be fine. I don't see them competing in the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    How would they cannibalize each other? They have different games all together. Maybe if they shared a game library, I would see a point. However, the switch Still is both a home console and a portable console. Its game library is drastically different. At the very least, that alone will ensure they wont cannibalize each other since you can't buy a New 2ds to play the breath of the wild and you can't but a switch to play pokemon sun and moon.

Maybe if someone is looking for a strictly portable system, the 3ds is for them. However, I doubt anyone who actually asks about what makes them different would think the two are interchangeable and that they could buy one or the other and be fine. I don't see them competing in the least.
    How would they cannibalize each other?

Your kid wants to play mario? Why buy him the $300 system and $60 mario game when you can buy him the $150 system and $20 mario game?

You seem to be thinking in the core gamer mind set, but libraries by and large mean jack shit when some casual is deciding which system to buy. What is the difference in Super Mario 3D Land from Super Mario Odyssey to some casual soccer mom looking for a gift for their 10 year old?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-04-28 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The Switch is selling extremely well but not well enough (Yet) to fully replace the 3DS.

After 2018 the 3DS is dead(If not by the end of it), This is just Nintendo trying to milk it for as much as they can.
    I'm going to pick up a 2dsxl for sure if I can find one. I rarely play my 2ds because the screen is so small and my eyes are really bad.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Your kid wants to play mario? Why buy him the $300 system and $60 mario game when you can buy him the $150 system and $20 mario game?

You seem to be thinking in the core gamer mind set, but libraries by and large mean jack shit when some casual is deciding which system to buy.
    You tend to like to really grasp at straws when it comes to this kind of thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    If that orange/white one is real I'm totally gonna get it.

You seem to be thinking in the core gamer mind set, but libraries by and large mean jack shit when some casual is deciding which system to buy.
    Why buy him the more expensive one? Because that is the one offering Mario Odyssey. The only kids who would be happy with just Any mario game are kids are really young and probably would just be sharing a console with an older sibling or a parent.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Plan on getting the 2ds xl and maybe the top 10-20 games I want for it by the end of 2018.
    Plan on getting a Switch this year.
    Plan on getting a Ps4 Pro this holiday with a bundle or discount.
    Plan on getting a Scorpio Holiday 2018 hopefully in a bundle.

How can I possibly play all these games? Do I need all these systems? No, but I want them so..

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    You tend to like to really grasp at straws when it comes to this kind of thing.
    Oh yea, I grasp at straws yet we have seen this happen with Nintendo hardware over and over again.

Tell me again how many copies of SM3DW sold with Wii Us in holiday 13 vs 3DSs sold with SM3DL.

And 3DL was the much older game against the new release.

Nintendo has always cannibalized their hardware, be it in sales and software development.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Depends on the finances of the family and what the kid wants/whether the mom listens. There are plenty of parents that will spend $300 on a system for Christmas. These two systems are most assuredly in competition with each other.
    It's a massive mistake, they're already going to be competing against likely $250 Xbox One/PS4, $350 PS4 Pro and $400 scorpio in holiday hardware sales and they release a new budget version of their old hardware to compete with it as well?

Nothing wrong with restocking N3DSXLs tbh if they still sell, but releasing a new budget version and marketing it sounds like some dumb ass shit when you already have a new piece of hardware off to a strong start that it needs to maintain.

Oh yea, I grasp at straws yet we have seen this happen with Nintendo hardware over and over again.

Tell me again how many copies of SM3DW sold with Wii Us in holiday 13 vs 3DSs sold with SM3DL.

And 3DL was the much older game against the new release.
    That is horrid thinking. The Wii U didn't sell well in general. The Switch has already sold more units in its first month then the Wii U sold in a year. You can hardly use a crappy system like the Wii U to back up your absurd claim.

While you might have a point that the parent won't know the difference or care, the child Will. I knew which games I wanted when I asked for games.

It's a massive mistake, they're already going to be competing against likely $250 Xbox One/PS4, $350 PS4 Pro and $400 scorpio in holiday hardware sales and they release a new budget version of their old hardware to compete with it as well?
    Since when has Nintendo EVER competed with Microsoft or Sony? The fanbase to each system is drastically different. They don't share titles for the most part and one aims at family friendly while the other two just do whatever they want. Nintendo has never been competing with Microsoft or Sony for game consoles. If they did, we would have seen the switch launch back around the same time as the Xbox 1 or the PS4. But it didn't.

Nothing wrong with restocking N3DSXLs tbh if they still sell, but releasing a new budget version and marketing it sounds like some dumb ass shit when you already have a new piece of hardware off to a strong start that it needs to maintain.
    No when you listen to the Facts. The Fact is, they have Completely Different Games. Splatoon isn't going to be on the DS. Breath of the Wild isn't going to be on the DS. Mario Odyssey isn't going to be on the DS. The difference between odyssey and super mario world? Ones an open world sandbox and the other is another sidescroller type game. Even a child would recognize that Super mario world is a completely different game fundamentally then super mario odyssey.

Not to mention, who is going to have a kid ask for Breath of the Wild and then buy a 2ds thinking it plays Breath of the Wild? No one, because the games case says its system right on it.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2017-04-28 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually great for me. There are a handful of 3DS games that I have been wanting to play but I just could not justify spending $200+ for a 3DS to play a few games. I have been kicking myself for not trying to hunt down one of those $99 black friday 3DS's when they were out. I figured they would keep selling them after the holidays even if they upped the price a bit since they sold so well but no. I could just get a regular 2DS but those door stops are so damn ugly and clunky to use. A $150 version with a bigger screen, the New 3DS processor, and a clam shell design is perfect.

That is horrid thinking. The Wii U didn't sell well in general. The Switch has already sold more units in its first month then the Wii U sold in a year.
    Umm, the Wii U sold more units in 6 weeks then the Switch sold in 1 month. It was at 3 mil at the end of December 2012. A year huh? The Switch launch has been slightly more successful then the Wii U launch nothing more or less.

We can invalidate the rest of your posts as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The Wii U had a decent launch, and is evidence Nintendo should be trying to keep the sales rolling or risk repeating past mistakes.

PM me when you figure out what you're talking about with Nintendo numbers and not ass pulling and maybe we can have a real conversation on the matter.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-04-28 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Because....why?
    If i didnt allready have a 3ds xl id get this. I have 3d turned off 99% of the time on all games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    This is actually great for me. There are a handful of 3DS games that I have been wanting to play but I just could not justify spending $200+ for a 3DS to play a few games. I have been kicking myself for not trying to hunt down one of those $99 black friday 3DS's when they were out. I figured they would keep selling them after the holidays even if they upped the price a bit since they sold so well but no. I could just get a regular 2DS but those door stops are so damn ugly and clunky to use. A $150 version with a bigger screen, the New 3DS processor, and a clam shell design is perfect.
    is it confirmed its the newest processor?

Umm, the Wii U sold more units in 6 weeks then the Switch sold in 1 month. It was at 3 mil at the end of December 2012. A year huh? The Switch launch has been slightly more successful then the Wii U launch nothing more or less.

We can invalidate the rest of your posts as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The Wii U had a decent launch, and is evidence Nintendo should be trying to keep the sales rolling or risk repeating past mistakes.

PM me when you figure out what you're talking about with Nintendo numbers and not ass pulling and maybe we can have a real conversation on the matter.
    So, you have no idea what you're talking about and try to discredit my argument with your Clearly made up numbers? Here's the facts for you
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/ninte...er-launch.html
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1404...n-a-whole-year

To say that the switch has only Slightly been better is as absurd as your statement that the 2ds will have any impact on the switch. Here are the numbers for you if you don't want to read the article.

The switch has now sold 2.74 Million units. The Wii U sold 2.72 units in its first fiscal year. The game, Breath of the Wild, is their Most successful launch title in Nintendo history, with 3.84 Million copies sold between the switch and the wii u. That 3 Million number you came up with was NOT units sold. It was Units Shipped.

So, again, you Can NOT compare the failure of a launch that the Wii U was to the Wild success of the Switch and then say that the switch and the 2ds xl will compete. They Wont. They are two different consoles. The New 2ds XL is what the 2DS should have been to begin with as far as being able to be portable. However, its not in direct competition with the switch.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2017-04-28 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    is it confirmed its the newest processor?
    About 39 seconds into the trailer it says fast processing power, and the fact it's part of the NEW lineup, yeah, it should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    If i didnt allready have a 3ds xl id get this. I have 3d turned off 99% of the time on all games.
    I don't think I have ever used my 3ds 3d function. I mostly play pokemon or zelda on it and neither of them have very many chances to use it.

So, you have no idea what you're talking about and try to discredit my argument with your Clearly made up numbers? Here's the facts for you
    2.72 million Wii U consoles in the 12 months from April 2013 to the end of March 2014.
    Here let me help you out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Notice how the Wii U launched in November 2012. Not April 2013.

Thanks for the laugh kid.

http://www.gamechup.com/wii-u-ships-...uts-forecasts/

The Wii U shipped 3.06 million units from November 18 2012 to Dec 31st 2012.

The Switch shipped 2.74 million units from March 3rd 2017 to March 31s 2017.

These are the actual comparison numbers, not PR spin not taking into account the actual launch window of the Wii U.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-04-28 at 06:17 AM.

To say that the switch has only Slightly been better is as absurd as your statement that the 2ds will have any impact on the switch. Here are the numbers for you if you don't want to read the article.

The switch has now sold 2.74 Million units. The Wii U sold 2.72 units in its first fiscal year. The game, Breath of the Wild, is their Most successful launch title in Nintendo history, with 3.84 Million copies sold between the switch and the wii u. That 3 Million number you came up with was NOT units sold. It was Units Shipped.

So, again, you Can NOT compare the failure of a launch that the Wii U was to the Wild success of the Switch and then say that the switch and the 2ds xl will compete. They Wont. They are two different consoles. The New 2ds XL is what the 2DS should have been to begin with as far as being able to be portable. However, its not in direct competition with the switch.
    Wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf

The worldwide sales of the “Wii U” hardware and software were 3.45 million units and 13.42 million units respectively.
    This was directly from Nintendo themselves as of December 31st, 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

Got ninja'd by Tech, but got numbers directly from the source

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I have ever used my 3ds 3d function. I mostly play pokemon or zelda on it and neither of them have very many chances to use it.
    I always got nauseated when using it with an OG 3DS, but a N3DS helped. Still didn't use it that often after that.

Here let me help you out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Notice how the Wii U launched in November 2012. Not April 2013.

Thanks for the laugh kid.

http://www.gamechup.com/wii-u-ships-...uts-forecasts/

The Wii U shipped 3.06 million units from November 18 2012 to Dec 31st 2012.

The Switch shipped 2.74 million units from March 3rd 2017 to March 31s 2017.
    Here, let me help you out. From your link ships. Ship =/= Sell. So you cannot compare the 2ds / wii u to the Switch. I even bolded the key word for you. Come back when you have SALES numbers. Because, well, you know, Nintendo themselves released the sales numbers and I think the company Making and Selling the products know better.

Want more links to prove it?
    http://www.techradar.com/news/ninten...rst-year-alone
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/6/1483...th-of-the-wild - Wii WAS their previous best selling launch. Now its second to the switch. Adding how much better then it is to the Wii U.

Now read the article. These are not figures being made up. It is Nintendo themselves telling them to us through their fiscal earnings call.

Here, let me help you out. From your link ships. Ship =/= Sell. So you cannot compare the 2ds / wii u to the Switch. I even bolded the key word for you. Come back when you have SALES numbers. Because, well, you know, Nintendo themselves released the sales numbers and I think the company Making and Selling the products know better.

Want more links to prove it?
    http://www.techradar.com/news/ninten...rst-year-alone
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/6/1483...th-of-the-wild - Wii WAS their previous best selling launch. Now its second to the switch. Adding how much better then it is to the Wii U.

Now read the article. These are not figures being made up. It is Nintendo themselves telling them to us through their fiscal earnings call.
    The Switch numbers are reported in shipments and not sales as well. Nintendo doesn't report sell through numbers, only Sony does and if you think the Switch is sold out everywhere you clearly haven't seen pictures of EU game stores.

So now we have come full circle to you grasping at straws after trying to claim I was. These are the facts, the Switch was almost as successful in 4 weeks as the Wii U was in 6 weeks. This means the Switch will likely be ahead in the same 6 weeks and slightly more successful in the same time span. That is the facts we have, not PR spin that is obviously going to point to something being out of this world.

No one thought the Wii U was a failure until we started getting into Feb and the wheels fell off. The console launch was absolutely at worst a MINOR disappointment coming off the Wii. The Wii Us launch was still pretty damn good, better then the Xbox One numbers over that same time period for the record.

You are the one that claimed the Switch sold more in a month the the Wii U did in it's first year, when the Wii U did roughly exactly in the same ball park for it's launch window. Don't come crying to us that you got called on it posting PR spin that didn't include the Wii Us launch window at all. The Wii U sales didn't fall off the map until 7+ weeks post launch and we don't even have Switch numbers from those same weeks to compare at all.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-04-28 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Wrong.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf

This was directly from Nintendo themselves as of December 31st, 2012.
    From the article I posted earlier:
    12 months from April 2013 to the end of March 2014.
    The Wii U launched in November of 2012. The fiscal year of 2012 would have ended in December and would not have included the Wii U sales for the entirety of that fiscal year. So, we have to look at the first Full fiscal year of the Wii U, that being 2014. The numbers of its first Full fiscal year on the shelve is trumped by the Switchs first month of sales.

So, to put it into perspective, you are taking launch sales. Nintendo took Fiscal year sales from when it was on the shelve for an entire year. Again, my articles are the numbers Nintendo is giving us. This is how They look at it and view it. Which is all to point out that the Wii U could Not be compared to the Switch when trying to see if the new 2ds xl would have any impact on the sales during the holidays. It wont, not with a system like the switch breaking Nintendo records.

- - - Updated - - -

The Switch numbers are reported in shipments and not sales as well. Nintendo doesn't report sell through numbers, only Sony does and if you think the Switch is sold out everywhere you clearly haven't seen pictures of EU game stores.
    From the article you Clearly are not reading:http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/ninte...er-launch.html

The Kyoto-based game giant, in announcing its Fiscal 2016 earnings, said the Switch has sold 2.74 million hardware
    I highlighted the key parts. Mainly They Announced these numbers. And said Sold. NOT shipped. Im leaving now. I made my point.

There is no comparison to the Wii U. None. The switch has done Far better and is set to outsell the Wii U in its entire lifespan in its first year alone. The 2DS has nothing on this system. Especially given how drastically different the games on each of the library's are. Like the Number one Launch title for Any Nintendo game: The Legend Of Zelda, The Breath Of The Wild. They Won't be in competition with each other and they Wont cannibalize each other. They are too different for that to happen. Not only in how they function, but in the games offered.

You are the one that claimed the Switch sold more in a month the the Wii U did in it's first year, when the Wii U did roughly exactly in the same ball park for it's launch window. Don't come crying to us that you got called on it posting PR spin that didn't include the Wii Us launch window at all. The Wii U sales didn't fall off the map until 7+ weeks post launch and we don't even have Switch numbers from those same weeks to compare at all.
    Sorry, but I am not making any claims. I am posting facts with sources that have gotten numbers Directly From Nintendo on the numbers. We have the sales numbers of the switch. 2.74 Million.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2017-04-28 at 06:37 AM.