Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Afraid to main Mage in Legion

Just because of the legendaries and relics. I have a feeling that Arcane will be best in ToS, but Frost is currently best. Fire was best in EM.

I don't want to farm bis legendaries and relics and then poff next patch the other spec is better.
    PS i enjoy all specs which is why I want to play a Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop starring at DPS sims/numbers/logs and just play what you enjoy.

Unless you're playing at a high Mythic level I wouldn't worry so much about the 'best spec', they all do well so just choose what one you enjoy most.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmagix View Post
    Unless you're playing at a high Mythic level I wouldn't worry so much about the 'best spec', they all do well so just choose what one you enjoy most.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Even if u play at high Mythic level your spec does not matter. All mage specs can pull enough dps to kill all bosses.

Choose one spec and play it. To be honest I would recommend you to play arcane mage, it is the most consistent of all specs and he is in the middle of the stake so blizzard won't nerf it

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Honestly? Fire is... Fine. I'm not sure why all the raiders cry and whine over a 2-5% dps difference at alarmingly unrealistic, simulated levels.

Fire at 50%~ crit (doable at 860+ ilvl) is not as clunky as one would think, has great mobility, amazing AoE.

The difference between the specs matters so little to a casual non-raider it is far more about play style. And even then? It's a matter of a few percent.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Unless you're in a guild pushing relevant ranks, stop caring. There is no point whatsoever.

If you are, well tough shit, that is how high-level mythic progression in.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Honestly? Fire is... Fine. I'm not sure why all the raiders cry and whine over a 2-5% dps difference at alarmingly unrealistic, simulated levels.

Fire at 50%~ crit (doable at 860+ ilvl) is not as clunky as one would think, has great mobility, amazing AoE.

The difference between the specs matters so little to a casual non-raider it is far more about play style. And even then? It's a matter of a few percent.
    logs would disagree with you saying fire is fine. nonsense..

its even worse than it looks when you take out the pointless skorpyron padding that is skewing fire upwards as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post

its even worse than it looks when you take out the pointless skorpyron padding that is skewing fire upwards as well.
    idd, fire is pretty much a worthless spec atm bcoz the things you need in nighthold is everything that fire is bad at.

2-5%? There's as much as 15-20% gaps in some places... lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caath View Post
    Even if u play at high Mythic level your spec does not matter. All mage specs can pull enough dps to kill all bosses.

Choose one spec and play it. To be honest I would recommend you to play arcane mage, it is the most consistent of all specs and he is in the middle of the stake so blizzard won't nerf it
    if by consistent you mean consistently behind frost then yes, ofc you're correct, its the least likely spec to be nerfed out of the 3 but its still going to be behind frost in ToS with the correct changes even with double icelance "fixed", ofc it will be a lot closer but frost should still edge out over arcane.

People keep saying that, but as long as the mythic community is as focused as it has always been on numbers, it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    idd, fire is pretty much a worthless spec atm bcoz the things you need in nighthold is everything that fire is bad at.
    On call burst AoE is near useless in raiding.. So it's not that Nighthold has things Fire is bad at.. It's more that Fire atm isn't super good in things that are needed in raiding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    if by consistent you mean consistently behind frost then yes, ofc you're correct, its the least likely spec to be nerfed out of the 3 but its still going to be behind frost in ToS with the correct changes even with double icelance "fixed", ofc it will be a lot closer but frost should still edge out over arcane.
    Arcane is not 'constantly' behind frost if frost gets bad/medicore rng their dps will be on the same lvl. Check my logs: Naustis. I have 2 frost mages in raiding group and I don't feel as I am 'constantly' behind, and when I am below them the difference is around 5%...
    Last edited by mmoc5633d002d8; 2017-04-28 at 04:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    2-5%? There's as much as 15-20% gaps in some places... lol
    And again, I will counter and say that it's unrealistic simulated data that has no merit on boss fight mechanics and otherwise. Not to mention, this kind of mentality literally only applies to the top 1% of players thinking they have any sort of chance in hell at world or server firsts.

Everyone else is a casual and casuals should play what they like instead of gaining self gratification that their numbers were tuned slightly better in this pass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post

Fire is perfectly fine unless you are currently apart of world or server first races. The after game doesn't matter. Thinking it does is the exact reason we have these problems created by ourselves.

What you're talking about applies to so few players that it's frankly ridiculous you think it matters fundamentally.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Hello, Figured id throw my 2 cents in since people often talk about the mythic scene but don't have experience playing all 3 specs at high level.

Currently I am ranked #3 overall for frost mages and have played fire/arcane at the same level. Hopefully this will bring some merit to what I will try to get across.

All 3 specs have extremely different strengths, Frost is fantastic, hands down the best raiding spec. Fire and Arcane do well but can't touch frost do to how high it's single target/cleave is.

Fire does great with mass aoe which you don't find a lot of.

Arcane is great with BURST aoe, also has fantastic single target burst for 10-15 seconds.

----

TLDR - What are you doing raids? go frost. Are you casually questing/dungeoning? go any of the 3, all are super viable in dungeons.

Legendary wise fire is the most dependent with arcane being the least. Frost is in between.

If you have any other question lemme know and I'll try to point ya in the right direction.
    Last edited by razlopp; 2017-04-28 at 05:28 AM.
    Encore | US 6th | Razlopp - Mage

Deleted
    Arcane is not 'constantly' behind frost if frost gets bad/medicore rng their dps will be on the same lvl. Check my logs: Naustis. I have 2 frost mages in raiding group and I don't feel as I am 'constantly' behind, and when I am below them the difference is around 5%...
    thats fine for you in your guild but generally, arcane is behind frost pretty consistently, you can take any logs for arcane and frost and compare them and you'll see that frost is ahead all the time, for example on chronomatic anomoly, there are more fire mages in the top 100 than there are arcane mages, only boss where its even close to even is spellblade where arcane is significantly more represented but frost still tends to do better, so you doing well in your guild is fine but that can be bcoz of a lot of factors like overgearing, bad plays or bad traits etc. so to say arcane is good bcoz you're in a guild where your frost mages might not be on par with you, doesnt really make arcane awesome, it just makes arcane good in comparison with your potentially underachieving frost mages but you would still generally do better as frost on equal terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    How about stop giving useless advice? If performance matter to the op your advice is the least helpful one you could possibly give.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of uninformed replys in this thread worries me. The gap between specs atm are enourmous.
    They were enourmous in EN.
    And they are just as likely to be enourmous in TOS.

My advice, keep up with the news from ptr, visist altered-time frequently and pick whatever spec preforms best come patch day. (with legendarys, even if you dont have the bis one yet).

There is so much you could do to raise your chance to get legendaries ingame right now and it will always just be getting more as each patch adds additional content along the old. Right now I have been getting a legendary atleast weekly (14 right now) and I don't even pvp. If you apply yourself and play the game you can have all the legendaries you would want for a spec.
    What some people seem to miss is that the legionfall supplies and the turn-in for them acts as several extra emissaries per day and seemingly greatly adds to your chances to get legendaries as emissaries rewards have in the past.
    What actually worries me more is the outlook to having to upgrade them all again as I actually do switch between them quite alot. That is going to be so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Don't be silly - do you think WoW is a game ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    How about stop giving useless advice?
    It isn't useless advice, focusing on one thing that you enjoy leads to better performance, be it a Degree in Physics or playing a toon in WoW.

This constant focus on zero focus, zero enjoyment and trying to follow some arbitrary goal leads to LOWER performance.

The best advice ANYONE can have in this game is to FOCUS on what you ENJOY...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Its not 2 to 5% difference though, not even close. Fire is bottom of the pack in 5 fights in NH and below the middle in 2 others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Just because of the legendaries and relics. I have a feeling that Arcane will be best in ToS, but Frost is currently best. Fire was best in EM.
    People thought Arc was going to not only be the top mage spec in NH but one of the best specs over all and surprise surprise it is kinda shit on everything, even the fights it does okay or well at another mage spec tops it. Really though you should play what you like, if you don't what is the point?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

This guy obviously just wants to play the best performimg spec the class has to offer and is rightfully worried, it is 100% frustrating having to Change. I myself have been through all specs now and luckily have good legendaries for each one, this took the entire expansio... also the difference atm is massive. You guys talk about 5-6% differencen where in reality, frost is about 10-20% ahead of fire st and has better cleave. Telling him to not worry About his dps is also a Weird advice, that's what he is supposed to do...