Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trolls have a bad habit of not staying dead, at least not entirely. Troll ghosts are very common, and there was that one from Pandaria who flat out resurrected himself. But with the demon poison/curse that killed him supposedly effecting his soul...I'm not sure. He might be gone for good, but there is a good chance the voodoo ghost of Vol'Jin will show up to spout some FO DA HORDE every now and again

Blizz could not resist the chance to troll the troll fans, all 12 of them. I kinda hope he does come back so everyone can laugh at him and his incompetence.

"They're coming from behind! Cover da flank!" *Gets stabbed in the stomach*

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Where the fuck are they then??

The Horde is not present on the Broken Shore.
    Broken Shore is just a cooling off zone, to make players mill around until the Tomb opens. It's pretty obvious (and standard) that a major plot point is in the raid, but they can't go near it because it will give the story away...which will happen on the PTR anyway...so that's helpful...

12 separate stories in the most alt-unfriendly expansion ever is not a global storyline.

I was thinking about spreadsheeting the story to figure out what the plot arcs are, but it's pointless. Surumar...something shards something...the Tomb opens.

If someone could prove me wrong, it would be appreciated. What are the important plot points being told in quests and cutscene, that are in 7.2?

Or would a "Where the story is so far" be feasible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Broken Shore is just a cooling off zone, to make players mill around until the Tomb opens. It's pretty obvious (and standard) that a major plot point is in the raid, but they can't go near it because it will give the story away...which will happen on the PTR anyway...so that's helpful...

12 separate stories in the most alt-unfriendly expansion ever is not a global storyline.

I was thinking about spreadsheeting the story to figure out what the plot arcs are, but it's pointless. Surumar...something shards something...the Tomb opens.

If someone could prove me wrong, it would be appreciated. What are the important plot points being told in quests and cutscene, that are in 7.2?

Or would a "Where the story is so far" be feasible?
    The Legionfall campaign on the Broken Shore is basically divided and explain in its long, time-gated meta-achievement "Breaching the Tomb." Summed up it is:

Armies of Legionfall/Assault on Broken Shore - Essentially the opening quests and scenario. After Kil'jaeden spearheads an assault on Dalaran the Order Hall forces retaliate. They land on the same beach as the Alliance and Horde forces in the Legion pre-expansion scenario and kill some demonic forces. They press their way into Mephistroth's main ship and take him and it out.

Begin Construction - Vengeance Point on the Broken Shores is fortified by the Kirin Tor and the player's Order Hall forces, with support from the other Order Halls present.

Vengeance Point/Aalgen Point - The various allied areas of the Broken Shore are made safe, the Illidari and Valarjar settle themselves on either side the Broken Shores main island mass.

Champions of Legionfall - An important Order Hall mission is undertaken (e.g. the Illidari on Mardum are attacked by the Legion and the Fel Hammer deployed to stop them, and the Ebon Blade creates a new iteration of Frostwyrms from dead Thorignir dragons and assaults the Legion with them).

Shard Times - Khadgar sends us on a pointless fetch quest for 2500 Nethershards when he actually just needs 1 to study. Everyone gets angry.

Mark of the Sentinax - Illidan commands an attack against the Sentinax, depleting it of its deployed forces in a number of massive engagements across the Shores.

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy - Velen exhorts the players to complete Broken Shore WQ objects.

Intolerable Infestation - Faronaar and Felsoul Hold are cleansed of the Legion.

Take Out the Head - Major named demon champions are taken out.

Championing Our Cause/Strike Them Down - Unknown (NYI)
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    He died, just like Varian did.
    But Varian will be back... We get a KT WQ in 7.2.5 where you need to find all his pieces and glue them back together...

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    And Thrall in Hyjal wasn't Horde story. You sitting there and pretending the character showing up is that faction's story is just false on its face.
    He was still former Warchief and he returned to act like Horde alined in WoD. But that is beside the point, which I was originally making. That there isn't even character development for singular racial NPCs.

They were not there as Night Elf representatives. Malfurion was there as his role as a Druid and Tyrande did nothing to the Night Elves at all and was only there to find her husband.
    Druids are deeply night elf thing, Xavius, Ysera are deeply connected with Night Elven lore, so it counts as nelven development. While they didn't adress any dire night elven politics, seeing them appearing to Ysera and Xavius, was a nice touch. Sure it was the least impressive development, but still something.
    And to me it counted.

It's hilarious. The Alliance got shit on for all of Cataclysm and got a shit ending in MoP and then in 7.2 there's a single Anduin cinematic and you all throw a fit. Goddamn hilarious.
    You still don't get it. Alliance still had a story Night elves appeared in Krasarang and were involved in 5.1. Dominance quests. There was Purge of Dalaran going on, Anduin development, High Elves with Jaina in Isle of Thunder. We had few Alliance scenarios too. Surely 5.3. was poorly done, not just for robo cat but also that stupid argue with Vol'Jin that made even worse when Alliance fans wanted to adress, so instead of taking away that stupid qustion they had to make it even worse.
    And 5.4. indeed could've been handled better, still Alliance had a chance to raze the City and had their own assault version, they had separate title for raiding Orgrimmar.
    That is an involvement, that is story. Faulty at times, yes. But it still was there, entire faction was not cut from any story nor was made to feel completely irrevelant.

And it's not again about stupid cinematic, I personally don't care. What I care would be for separate story for Horde, to make their presence on Broken Shore revelant. To show that there is a story for them. Some bigger quest chain that involves at least one racial hero that isn't Sylvanas.

I thought it was really clear. But apparently it wasn't if you used that 'cinematic' fit again.

Horde now has literally nothing going on for them, and Horde players aren't upset that Alliance had more, they are upset that they have nothing to look forward to, they have no narrative to push them forward. And their Warchief that actually still had a lot of potential got rid for no reason, and he could've been involved in this patch, to show some different story experience.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand why people are getting so het up about Vol'jin and Ions comment on the stream.

As far as we know he died (to trash) at the Broken Shore. IF he is coming back in some way or other, I don't want to find out about it from a Q&A, I want to follow the story. So reiterating what we *know* from in game content is fine with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I really don't understand why people are getting so het up about Vol'jin and Ions comment on the stream.

As far as we know he died (to trash) at the Broken Shore. IF he is coming back in some way or other, I don't want to find out about it from a Q&A, I want to follow the story. So reiterating what we *know* from in game content is fine with me.
    I don't understand the distinction of Vol'jin dying "to trash" on the Broken Shore? Varian was also speared through the back multiple times by Doomguard shocktroopers - they brought Varian as a speared and dying prisoner before Gul'dan who disintegrated him. In that respect both Vol'jin and Varian were essentially defeated by "trash." Vol'jin just suffered a more ignominious and slow death to the Fel poisoning whereas Varian got a coup de grâce delivered by Gul'dan by virtue of proximity.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    probably somewhere where their retreat wont' cost Legionfall the battle.
    haha thumbs up! good one

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't understand the distinction of Vol'jin dying "to trash" on the Broken Shore? Varian was also speared through the back multiple times by Doomguard shocktroopers - they brought Varian as a speared and dying prisoner before Gul'dan who disintegrated him. In that respect both Vol'jin and Varian were essentially defeated by "trash." Vol'jin just suffered a more ignominious and slow death to the Fel poisoning whereas Varian got a coup de grâce delivered by Gul'dan by virtue of proximity.
    That's kinda the case. Varian went like a total champ needing to be finished by a big bad. Vol'jin literally went down to a stray arrow. Its like they wanted his death to be as unceremonious as possible. The only better death would be vol'jin choking on a pretzel in durotar while forces were preparing to leave for broken shore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    That's kinda the case. Varian went like a total champ needing to be finished by a big bad. Vol'jin literally went down to a stray arrow. Its like they wanted his death to be as unceremonious as possible. The only better death would be vol'jin choking on a pretzel in durotar while forces were preparing to leave for broken shore.
    I mean I do agree, Varian definitely went down in an unqualified blaze of glory before the Doomguard speared him and brought him before Gul'dan - one-shotting a Fel Reaver and slaying multiple Doomguards on his way out. Vol'jin's death, well, wasn't anywhere near the spectacle. He took his eyes off his quarry in the middle of the battleground and got gutted for his troubles, then died a lingering death to Fel infection. Varian definitely wins in the spectacle department. But both were still finished by the same class of enemy, all in all.

Vol'Jin getting stabbed while calling for others to be careful was kinda funny though.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    So then...not nonexistent?

What did the Alliance have, again? Oh right. Genn's role in Stormheim.

Don't sit there and say Tyrande and Malfurion were Alliance story. They weren't. They were Druid stories. The Alliance wasn't there, I don't think Tyrande even references the Alliance or Horde by name (Especially after her dialogue was changed when Horde fans whined about her not being super nice to them).

Tyrande in 7.1 is an Alliance story, whose counterpart is Lady Liadrin. Who is acting as a Blood Elf/Horde leader and not a Paladin.

And then 7.2 we get the "our new leader becomes the leader" cinematic that we didn't get in 7.0.
    As a horde player- I feel like there should have been an additional Alliance cinematic at the end of the Broken shore scenario in 7.0 that showed Varians memorial being unveiled in the rebuilt par with the whole city gathered in mourning, grieving citizens, candlelight vigil, Anduin collapsing from grief with Velen telling him to be strong, really drive the point home that the Alliance really and truly felt beaten at that moment, their hope all but completely crushed with the whole of their hopes for the future placed squarely on Anduins shoulders; end with Genn boarding the Skybreaker looking on in the distance, rage in his eyes cursing Sylvanas and the horde as he departs for Stormheim.

I played through it on my retired alliance toon specifically to see something like that and honestly though it was bugged when the park went from "empty space where tomb would be" to "Oh look there's a tomb/memorial there now".

With the above Cinematic in place; there should also have been a 7.2 Horde cinematic, maybe something of an update on horde movement/contribution on the new assault on the broken shore.

tldr - more cinematics! lot's and lot's of cinematics!

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It's not necessarily a sneer on my part. I like the fact that both faction leaders were defeated (in part in Varians case) by minions -I think it's good story telling and makes the BL even more threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Where the fuck are they then??

The Horde is not present on the Broken Shore.
    Who cares? I'm a Hordie and I couldn't care less. Finally the Alliance has some cool lore for themselves to explore. Are you like 15 or something?

Besides... "True" players who care about the story/presence of the Alliance and Horde play both factions to experience both story perspectives.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Deleted
    Im a Horde player, Always will be a Horde Player but i fucking loved watching Anduin's build up to the Broken Shore Cinematic Quest Line (Thanks Youtube) when he saw the ghosts of the horde on the cliff and when he opens those eyes full of focus i was like
    "HES COMMING FOR USSSSSSS"

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Varian was killed to advance the story and develop Anduin who will eventually become the face of the franchise now that Thrall/Metzen retired. Vol'jin was killed for the sake of it, felt very unnecessary and it served no purpose other than "kill the horde's warchief because we had to kill the king of the alliance".
    I kinda felt like Voljin was killed to advance Sylvanas in a similar way- as Warchief- it brings her selfish ambitions to the forefront and push her motives into the faces of the other horde leaders. When she was just the Dark Lady of the Forsaken off in Lorderon; it was much easier to all but ignore her (or just leave her alone in the case of the Blood Elves); as warchief of the horde she's forced to at least be conscious of the difference between "For the Horde" and "For the Forsaken". It brings us closer to the conflict inside of her, to the big choices she has coming foreshadowed in her bio on the legion site pre-launch.

In short, Vol'jin was killed to make Sylvanas' actions carry more weight.

Sylvannas is dead too.

There's nothing stopping Vol from being resurrected.

Personally, in my tin foil hat I think his death was part of a larger machine to introduce Witch Doctors as a class while subsequently rekindling a fire for sensible and contradictory motivations between the Horde and the Alliance. The chip on the shoulder is huge on both sides now. It's personal for the leaders of both factions. The war is going to rage.

Demon hunters were introduced as basically a Warlock themed warrior. Witch Doctors would be Death Knight themed Shaman. And it's a class in Diablo. They've already given WoW 2 of the classes from Diablo. They won't give us a necromancer as it's too close to Death Knights and warlocks, but a Witch Doctor could be made vague enough in between DK's and Shaman to have it's own identity, and a jamaican themed race would be the perfect vehicle.
    Last edited by Evanescoduil; 2017-04-28 at 04:07 PM.

I have to say, they way he expressed it was a little off. But that doesn't really mean its a suggestive spoiler it also could be "geez, these fans really want him but that's it folks! Honestly!".
    I honestly hope they do more with Vol'jin, simply on the basis that he was a good lore character and gave him the worse exit known to players to make Varian and Anduin's story line a much bigger ploy since well Warlords of Draenor basically drowned itself in Horde.
    It's kind of a win win if they do it with the whole spiritualism thing. It drives the Horde forward away from the overbearing use they did in Warlords and redefines their identity, along with adding more diversity to the story as a whole because as legion progresses its starting to do a Warlords and smother itself in the same theme unlike at the beginning we had a bit of difference with levelling zones to raids. If they do that with next expansion it will become tedious once again.

If he's dead dead, I really wanna know what they tried to accomplish with that decision