Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    back to the troubles if the eu had their way over a united ireland.
    fuck off eu.
    care to explain, why ? EU is very present in majority of Ireland, you know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    This only rings true if you are talking about the North of the island of Ireland. The counties of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan are all in Ulster but are not part of the political entity that is Northern Ireland.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ulster

Ulster
    [uhl-ster]
    noun
    1. a former province in Ireland, now comprising Northern Ireland and a part of the Republic of Ireland.
    2. a province in N Republic of Ireland. 3123 sq. mi. (8090 sq. km).
    3. Informal. Northern Ireland.

I do not believe you do not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It is common in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, what foreigners call it is likely to be different due to language. Would you say Nicosia or Lefkosia when talking about the capital of Cyprus?
    It's a common mistake, Ulster is nine counties, while Northern Ireland is six counties. Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal being the three counties of Ulster not part of Northern Ireland.
    I'll also point out, it really depends on who you talk to in Northern Ireland as to whether or not they refer to the six counties as Ulster. Unionists tend to do so, Nationalists not so much. I don't cause while I support neither Nationalists nor Unionist with any fervor, I recall Ulster being the nine counties.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2017-04-28 at 07:36 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyraz View Post
    Excuse me? To clarify, the majority of the whole island has polled consistently in favour of Re-unification since the 1970s. It's a small section of a community in the North East that are descended from Scottish/English planters who claim loyalty to Britain that are preventing it. Under the GFA consent from both sides of the North is needed. If it were an island-wide referendum it would pass by a landslide. Do not speak on behalf of my people again.
    Do not speak on behalf of the Northern Irish. You have never been a united country, ever. You were small kingdoms before the English invaded. The closest you were to being one, was during the British Empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    It's a common mistake, Ulster is nine counties, while Northern Ireland is six counties. Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal being the three counties of Ulster not part of Northern Ireland.
    I'll also point out, it really depends on who you talk to in Northern Ireland as to whether or not they refer to the six counties as Ulster. Unionists tend to do so, Nationalists not so much.
    That it might annoy pedants or republicans is not my concern, Ulster is a common term for Northern Ireland, so I will use it.

That it might annoy pedants or republicans is not my concern, Ulster is a common term for Northern Ireland, so I will use it.
    That the common term is predicated on a mistake is more the concern I'm addressing, the fact people commonly make it is their problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be tempted to move to a Unified Ireland

10+ Year Old Account
    That the common term is predicated on a mistake is more the concern I'm addressing, the fact people commonly make it is their problem.
    It is not really a mistake though, no more than referring to the UK as Britain is, it is just a colloquialism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Thought those all took the boat to the other side of the pond a century ago?
    Have you seen any news from ni in the last 100 years?

Lots of orange and pipers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I'd be tempted to move to a Unified Ireland
    Can you not just go to the Republic anyway? It would save your tears on 9th June.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ulster is not a name for Northern Ireland, it is the name for the 9 counties that make up the Province of Ulster. Unfortunately six of those counties are still under British rule

10+ Year Old Account
    Ulster is not a name for Northern Ireland, it is the name for the 9 counties that make up the Province of Ulster.
    So "Ulster says no" was about the nine counties and not Northern Ireland then?

Unfortunately six of those counties are still under British rule
    Why do left wingers hate self determination so much?

It is not really a mistake though, no more than referring to the UK as Britain is, it is just a colloquialism.
    It's a mistake in that the Province of Ulster contains Northern Ireland, but is not Northern Ireland in and of itself. Like calling Yorkshire England, while it's in England it's not England in and of itself. I don't get irked by it in any real sense, but I do like pointing out the facts of what Ulster is. Wouldn't be Northern Irish if I didn't take some modicum of pride in giving up some of it's trivia.. still going to call an Ulster Fry an Ulster Fry.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2017-04-28 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Believe what you like but it is incorrect to label Northern Ireland as Ulster as Ulster includes part of the RoI.
    It is not what I believe, it is a colloquial term for Northern Ireland. If I show it is, will you concede that you are wrong and change your avatar to one of my choosing?

10+ Year Old Account
    So "Ulster says no" was about the nine counties and not Northern Ireland then?

Why do left wingers hate self determination so much?
    Self determination doesn't work when you genocide a native population, move in your own population and then do the referenda

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a mistake in that the Province of Ulster contains Northern Ireland, but is not Northern Ireland in and of itself. Like calling Yorkshire England, while it's in England it's not England in and of itself. I don't get irked by it in any real sense, but I do like pointing out the facts of what Ulster is. Wouldn't be Northern Irish if I didn't take some modicum of pride in giving up some of it's trivia.. still going to call and Ulster Fry an Ulster Fry.
    It is not a mistake, it is a colloquialism. It is not like calling Yorkshire England, as nobody does that, whereas it is the same as calling the UK Britain, which loads of people do.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is not what I believe, it is a colloquial term for Northern Ireland. If I show it is, will you concede that you are wrong and change your avatar to one of my choosing?
    Go balls deep. Pink slips!

The stakes have never been higher on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

It is not a mistake, it is a colloquialism. It is not like calling Yorkshire England, as nobody does that, whereas it is the same as calling the UK Britain, which loads of people do.
    So Ulster is now only 6 out of it's 9 counties cause enough people believe in it?

Ulster is a recognised term for Northern Ireland.
    Its also the name of an Irish 9 county province that includes the 6 counties that form Northern Ireland.

Evidence it was inaccurate.
    That it was a Belfast Telegraph poll

[quote]

Everyone being?
    People paying attention. Between Brexit, Mays contempt and arrogance and the toxicity of austerity Scotlands on its way out. NI is a little greyer but has a good likelihood of leaving within 15 years thanks to the way the DUP is alienating voters.

Good luck to the Scots in maintaining current public spending levels, they will need it.
    The prospect of huge economic damage didn't stop the English voting to leave the EU in pursuit of the non existent glories of Empire. It didn't stop them believing the world owes them a living or thinking that the Commonwealth would leap for joy at the prospect of trade deals with the "Home Nation". They are wrong...but that didn't stop them.

Why do you think such arguments would work on Scotland? Especially as they have the option of rejoining the EU to mitigate the damage, the likelihood of joining the EFTA and an actual plan on how to handle Independence. All stuff England won't have.

Is Eire going to try and conquer Ulster?
    No. But between Brexit and the DUP, reunifications is only a matter of when...not if. The Nationalist and Unionist communities are about equal now and while many from the Nationalist community would vote to remain in the UK, that in turn depends both on the economy and the knowledge that the Nationalist community is being respected. Brexit will damage the economy and the DUP have been acting like bigots recently and alienating the votes they need to defeat any border poll.

The Welsh say "Hello boyo".
    The Welsh Independence movement is now where the Scottish one was about 50 years ago and May is already treating it with the same contempt she shows Scotland and NI. A government that sees the UK as England with three attached colonies is not one that is going to be very successful at keeping the United in United Kingdom

Lucky for us we do not, and are unlikely to have for the foreseeable future, a far right Tory government then.
    Hah!!! The UK has such a beastie right now. You think that austerity policy is a cenrist policy? Cutting back on public services? Underfunding the NHS to prepare it for privatisation? Their assault on the poor and their right wing politics based on racism and hatred of the other? Ten years ago the polcies the Tories have now were proposed by the BNP.

So yeah....right wing extremists is a good descriptor.

The fifth/sixth largest economy in the world will be able to strike trade deals, just so you know.
    Sure...but they won't be quick, they won't be lucrative, they won't replace the deals the UK has now and the UK lacks the size, power and influence to craft deals that would benefit it instead of the US or China. Look at the deals between the US and Japan or China and Switzerland.

The UK will...eventually...get trade deals but if yoy're expecting anything good from them, you'll be out of luck. Tbe US already sees Brexit as a chance to asset strip the UK and its desire to force tbe UK to "open up" the NHS is well known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Self determination doesn't work when you genocide a native population, move in your own population and then do the referenda
    It does work.

I do not give a shit about what happened one or two centuries ago, otherwise how far do you go back? Should you not get a vote on anything that determines the future of Britain? You are in an area that had a large influx of Anglo-Saxons, so chances are your ancestors did the same if your family has not moved around a lot.

Part of my family came over with the Normans, should anyone with Norman heritage not get a vote? What about those with Roman ancestry? Where is the cut off point?