Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Honestly I'd just carry a gun, are there any advantages to using a bow over a gun in any given situation...?
    I mean, if you care about self respect.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I mean, if you care about self respect.
    I care about not dying in situations with predators. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Yeah....inb4 Muslim-apologist Endus comes along and locks the thread, because "reasons".

OT: That is fucking hilarious. Justice served in one of the most ironic ways possible.
    WTF is a "Muslim Appologist"? Endus (and most rational thinking human beings) know the difference between Muslims and Islamic Extremists and they're definetly not the same.

You are aware we have Muslims serving in our armed forces whom are fighting AGAINST ISIS, right?

Go Huffer!!! On a more serious note, this is so bizarre.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I care about not dying in situations with predators. That's about it.
    Then make sure you are well armed if you go to places where it is a concern. Humans are relatively easy for large predators to kill. Old or injured Tigers and Lions for example , will turn to man eaters because we are weaker prey than they normally hunt. Humans have been known to have been killed by cougars, which are a lot smaller than lions or tigers. But they are much, much stronger than humans are.

Honestly I'd just carry a gun, are there any advantages to using a bow over a gun in any given situation...?
    Bows are quieter than guns so you wouldn't give away your position and scare off everything in the area if that was something you were worried about. Also, with certain arrowheads, you don't need to get a killshot to take the animal down, the head stays lodged and as the animal moves it further lacerates and damages the area which would inevitably result in blood loss and the eventual death/ collapse of the animal. While not humane, it IS effective.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The point is that this story is very, very, very peculiar...
    Did you not fucking read that there were survivors? I mean unless a god/an angel came and smited 3 and warned the others to repent or some shit there is literally no reason for them to lie about what happened.

People die in stampedes all the time, and the guys weren't firing they were setting up to ambush people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then make sure you are well armed if you go to places where it is a concern. Humans are relatively easy for large predators to kill. Old or injured Tigers and Lions for example , will turn to man eaters because we are weaker prey than they normally hunt. Humans have been known to have been killed by cougars, which are a lot smaller than lions or tigers. But they are much, much stronger than humans are.
    Whenever I hear someone try and explain this to people, I always think of my wife's best friend who moved to Alaska. She and her husband love to go hiking, so pretty much the first thing they were asked about was if they have and know how to use firearms. She was, "I have a .22 pistol to carry." and they're "For hiking in Alaska? No." She has a 10mm now.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas
    You are aware we have Muslims serving in our armed forces whom are fighting AGAINST ISIS, right?
    No! All Muslim ISIS! All Christian Westboro Baptist! All Buddhist... umm... hold on, I think of something, check back later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    WTF is a "Muslim Appologist"? Endus (and most rational thinking human beings) know the difference between Muslims and Islamic Extremists and they're definetly not the same.

It's just another poster with a victim complex. Probably broke the forum rules and got banned for it.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    No! All Muslim ISIS! All Christian Westboro Baptist! All Buddhist... umm... hold on, I think of something, check back later.
    Buddhists are kung-fu monks, Duh! :P

Buddhists are kung-fu monks, Duh! :P
    By that comparison to my other examples, are you implying all kung-fu monks are irrational fanatics?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I hear someone try and explain this to people, I always think of my wife's best friend who moved to Alaska. She and her husband love to go hiking, so pretty much the first thing they were asked about was if they have and know how to use firearms. She was, "I have a .22 pistol to carry." and they're "For hiking in Alaska? No." She has a 10mm now.
    Hehe. Good point. And yeah, I guess I could have went into more detail and information, but if she was to respond with what kind of weapon, I would have not recommended a .22.

Alaska however can have some pretty huge nasty predators. I think I would want even more then a 10mm Handgun. A 30.06 would be more my choice. For Most of the Continental US, a .357. .44 MAG or 10mm would do the job. Unless you ran into a overly large Grizz. However when it comes to bears, the best defense is bear spray. You get a mother bear defending her cubs and she is in high adrenaline attack mode. Not sure I would trust just a handgun. Of course I would rather be caught with one, than without one.

But with some wildlife and domestic animals such as large dogs, a .22 can still be effective. So they are still a deadly weapon.

Hehe. Good point. And yeah, I guess I could have went into more detail and information, but if she was to respond with what kind of weapon, I would have not recommended a .22.

Alaska however can have some pretty huge nasty predators. I think I would want even more then a 10mm Handgun. A 30.06 would be more my choice. For Most of the Continental US, a .357. .44 MAG or 10mm would do the job. Unless you ran into a overly large Grizz. However when it comes to bears, the best defense is bear spray. You get a mother bear defending her cubs and she is in high adrenaline attack mode. Not sure I would trust just a handgun. Of course I would rather be caught with one, than without one.

But with some wildlife and domestic animals such as large dogs, a .22 can still be effective. So they are still a deadly weapon.
    They told her 10mm was the minimum she should carry. And they're always hiking/camping together and he has a .308 I believe. But considering they go out into the wilderness she needed something that would be on her person and not relying on his rifle. They do take bear spray, unless you live right in Anchorage or Juneau you basically don't leave home without that from what I hear.

Yeah, I actually grew up in Alaska. I agree on the bear mace.

https://www.outsideonline.com/189930...-charging-bear
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...arging-grizzly

By that comparison to my other examples, are you implying all kung-fu monks are irrational fanatics?
    C'mon...it's always the quiet ones that you least suspect! >.>

C'mon...it's always the quiet ones that you least suspect! >.>
    I suspect everyone equally, all the time.

I have a stressful life.

I'm surprised that people don't appear to have noticed, or at least haven't yet mentioned, the name of the article's author.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans are, sans weapons, among the most pathetic animals on the planet when it comes to a fight. We are weak, slow, so-so hearing/sight/smell, laughable teeth and claws.... If it wasnt for our brains, we would be lunch for almost every predator the size of a coyote and up.

- - - Updated - - -

In bear country I wouldnt go with less than a .480 Ruger for a handgun, and I would pick a belted magnum for a rifle (Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag would br my forst choice) everything else I would pick the .357.

Only if you do not want to use another weapon up close or you are concerned about noise and are sure you can do what you want with one shot. Firearm is far superior in every aspect except noise.
    I'd take a gun any day but isn't the penetration ability of a bow and arrow greater than a lot of firearms?

If you are poor an arrow can be reused. Or you need less equipment to make a new one?

Very nice would like to see that video if there is any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Humans are, sans weapons, among the most pathetic animals on the planet when it comes to a fight. We are weak, slow, so-so hearing/sight/smell, laughable teeth and claws.... If it wasnt for our brains, we would be lunch for almost every predator the size of a coyote and up.
    Also this.