Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would LOVE to be a stay at home husband since I'm way better at homemaking than my wife.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    if there are a minority of women earning more then how can you have the title of "milenial women are worried"
    The correct title would be "a very small minority of women are worried"

Either that or the gender wage gap. CHOOSE ONE!
    The problem is women in high paying jobs are marrying men with low paying jobs. Women doctors with construction worker husbands. The women doctors are probably still earning less than the male doctors.

There aren't enough men with high paying jobs for these women to marry. Even if the numbers of men and women were equal, there still wouldn't be enough men because too many of the higher earning men don't care how much less their wives earn, so they will marry anyone they are attracted to. High earning men have a large dating pool. High earning women that want higher earning men have a smaller dating pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Yeah, keep it up. That endless condemning attitude will certainly help.

Here's how I see it: it's a hell of a lot harder for a guy to get a job than it used to be. There's no more graduate high school -> get a good blue collar job -> support a family.

Protip: Not everybody is cut out for a STEM field. They require a certain kind of mind. Some people are more inclined to physical labor.

If society as a whole doesn't see the usefulness of making it easier for young men to find good-paying jobs, the social problems will just keep snowballing.
    There are a lot of good paying jobs in service fields, but a lot of men won't take them because they think that kind of work is for women. People need to adapt. If you aren't a STEM person or anything else that requires a college degree, there are still jobs, they just aren't those manly coal digging steel worker jobs from 50 years ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    There are a lot of good paying jobs in service fields, but a lot of men won't take them because they think that kind of work is for women. People need to adapt. If you aren't a STEM person or anything else that requires a college degree, there are still jobs, they just aren't those manly coal digging steel worker jobs from 50 years ago.
    I haven't heard this before, and I'd be interested in reading some solid research/articles showing that a statistically significant number of men are doing this.

For my part, I'm a bit more mercenary. With sufficient pay, I'd be willing to do almost anything. Of course, I'm a butcher for a grocery store chain, so that's kind of a "man" job.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

I haven't heard this before, and I'd be interested in reading some solid research/articles showing that a statistically significant number of men are doing this.

For my part, I'm a bit more mercenary. With sufficient pay, I'd be willing to do almost anything. Of course, I'm a butcher for a grocery store chain, so that's kind of a "man" job.
    I'm pretty sure I heard it on a PBS news program, but here is an article about it: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ore-girly-jobs

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard it on a PBS news program, but here is an article about it: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ore-girly-jobs
    Interesting. For my part, I just don't see lots of men accepting caregiver style positions, ever. And this will lead to societal consequences no one will like.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    There is plenty other women to pick up. My wife went into teaching. I make a lot more as an Accountant, but we were together during college.

These ambitious women sound like they have character defects if they're unhappy because of money they have. I guess that fits the stereotype that ambitious women are crazy to begin with. It's like trying to marry Anita Sarkeesian or something, don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This is an actual thing?

There was a time in my life that my wife earned more money than I did and there was nothing either of us was ashamed of.

Today we both earn around the same (give or take $2000-$3000) and there's still nothing to be ashamed of.

I guess some people are still hung up on a dying mentality of the man being the primary breadwinner.
    I think after a certain amount, who makes more than whom does not matter much anymore. My wife from the day we met, has always make more than I do. However, when she had to quit working because of her illness from 2007 to 2014, we easily lived on my income alone. Despite maxing our health insurance deductible every year, we paid everything out of our checking account. We never had to touch our saving accounts or rely on credit cards. We were still able to fully fund both of our retirement accounts.

Deleted
    Unless both people in the couple are doing exactly the same job, who gives a shit if one makes more than the other? Different jobs have different salaries and different levels of responsibility and different people enjoy doing different things. Just sounds like another nonissue that gets inflated by irrational, stupid people who hinge their identity and self worth on something as completely arbitrary as a yearly salary, which by the way could change at any moment. And why does a marriage or life as a couple have to be "me vs..." but not "we"?

One could also speculate that women who actively seek high paying jobs are somehow caught between having to prove that women can make money, too, and the more traditional mindset of the man being the primary breadwinner of the family. Having two mutually exclusive mindsets drummed into you could probably be the root of some confusion and dissatisfaction...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I couldn't have a relationship with a woman who made more money, call me old fashion but such an imbalance would upset the male/female dynamic. "couldn't" might be too strong a word, if my girl made more money I'd have to be humble and that's not easy.
    Why on earth would you have to be humble? Why not just be happy that you as a couple have the capacity to pay your bills? Is that much of your own worth really tied into your paycheck?
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2017-04-29 at 11:39 AM.

Here's how I see it: it's a hell of a lot harder for a guy to get a job than it used to be. .
    its not - they just need to be educated fast learning smart alpha types

its only hard for pussified uneducated lazy beta type.

it really is that simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    Women make the same as men for the same job - they simply choose to take jobs that generally pay less overall.
    Agreed. The alleged wage gape between men and women in the US has been a myth for many years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Women make the same as men for the same job - they simply choose to take jobs that generally pay less overall.
    I'd like to raise:

(Spoiler, this is not meant to be a counterargument)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    How can that be when women are supposed to be paid less than men?

(This is a rhetorical question.)
    It isn't a rhetorical question and it's so funny that you don't even know why it is and how stupid it makes you like trying to come across smug.

Woman are paid less in certain industries for the same job, woman who out earn their husband or boyfriend generally will be working with a higher degree versus the man being just a worker somewhere. Rofl that you don't get that, hilarious.

OT: It hasn't been that far in the past that men were seen as the care takers of the family, it was very much the case with my grandparents less with my parents and only just in my generation it's sort of changing, this is change and is something both sides need time to adapt to.

I know it's a thread of her and she likes to make a big controversy about anything "woman" related but this really isn't a big thing or that abnormal. I fully see that in the coming generation the man staying at home and taking care of the kids instead of the woman becoming a more normal thing. Just takes time for the society to get past the stereotypical view of how a family should look like.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2017-04-29 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    38% is not a tiny minority.

And you know why this happens? Because women generally are paid more than men nowadays, especially college graduates under the age of 35.

Not to mention there is a a form of cultural discrimination going on where women are supported more and encouraged to attain higher degrees more than men.
    I have seen this, in my friends and in the workplace. In most of my married friends, the woman earns more than the man.

At work, I have seen it where the guy is fired when he makes a mistake- but the woman is given more chances, especially if she plays the "emotional" card and cries a little.

We won't even talk about the girls that are totally hot and don't really have any of the jobs skills for the position, but nobody complains.

That's equality for you, my friends.

Women fought for it for many decades, seems like it is actually starting to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Never heard of any man complaining that their SO earned more, and if it did bother him you would be better off without him.
    In my experience, when the woman makes noticably more than the guy or even works when the guy is at home (even if he is at home with the kids)- that man is on the "trading block."

I have seen quite a few relationships where the guy is dumped or cheated upon.

Although it seems we are getting closer to equality in the workplace, the old social norms still seem to exist (even if it is a subconscious thing). For some reason, I don't think we are going to be able to shake those "norms" off so easy. I think they may even have a genetic component.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I have seen this, in my friends and in the workplace. In most of my married friends, the woman earns more than the man.

At work, I have seen it where the guy is fired when he makes a mistake- but the woman is given more chances, especially if she plays the "emotional" card and cries a little.

We won't even talk about the girls that are totally hot and don't really have any of the jobs skills for the position, but nobody complains.

That's equality for you, my friends.

Women fought for it for many decades, seems like it is actually starting to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience, when the woman makes noticably more than the guy or even works when the guy is at home (even if he is at home with the kids)- that man is on the "trading block."

I have seen quite a few relationships where the guy is dumped or cheated upon.

Although it seems we are getting closer to equality in the workplace, the old social norms still seem to exist (even if it is a subconscious thing). For some reason, I don't think we are going to be able to shake those "norms" off so easy. I think they may even have a genetic component.
    LIKE MASS EFFECTS ANIMATION TEAM LEAD *or some position like that, but she was a COSPLAYER with no experience with video games, aka why mass effect andromada's facial animations are a MEME anymore on youtube.

but i guess she had a good body...

*also the entire team went total PC SJW on the game in certain aspects*

still a decent game, but could of been a GREAT game....

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post

Every year the statistics show that women are getting more and more unhappy, while men are only getting happier. I guess money can buy many things, but happiness is not one of them.
    That's because money is a mind trick designed to fool simple people. It appears, on the surface, that money can buy whatever you want. Once you look a little deeper- it tends to make people sad and depressed somehow. That's because they thought they could "buy" their happiness then found out the world doesn't work like that.

For example: The guy next to me has a family, 3 kids- a nice house, a nice car. For some reason, he feels the need to drive himself crazy just to raise his station slightly- working many hours of overtime each week and never even really spending time with his family. He just bought a new car, a model level higher than mine. I saw him for five minutes and he was showing me the paneling (I could care less really, but I indulged him because I knew it was important to him).

Then he was running off to work all day Saturday while I was going to the beach with my wife and kids. I couldn't help but think "how's that paneling working out for you?"

That's the "mind trick" of money and belongings. They are the "carrot on the stick." Don't be a donkey.......

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    That's because money is a mind trick designed to fool simple people. It appears, on the surface, that money can buy whatever you want. Once you look a little deeper- it tends to make people sad and depressed somehow. That's because they thought they could "buy" their happiness then found out the world doesn't work like that.
    This is kind of a nice story to make people feel better, but it's just plain false. There's a significant positive correlation between earnings and happiness. Up to $75K/year, money directly impacts day-to-day happiness and even above that, it improves life satisfaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well maybe they should have thought about that before they pushed for equality in the workplace. And pushed for college degrees. Now they're ashamed of it? What the fuck?

All I gotta say to this article in the OP is boo hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, for some reason people with money love to talk about how money doesn't make you happy. (I guess it's just another example of Carlin's "Everyone loves to feel like they're hard done by." observation)

Meanwhile people who can't put food on the table or pay the bills or do anything interesting with their time are itching to punch all the "oh woe is me" rich people in the face.
    I think part of it is a bit of sour grapes protection against ever having to feel someone else has done better than them as well. If you make $75K and say, "money doesn't matter to me", maybe there's just a glimmer of that which comes from protecting the ego against having to care one way or the other than someone else is making $200K. Would your life be better with $200K? Well, yeah, at least a little, if for no other reason than being able to save/invest enough to protect against calamity; security is valuable. I saw a lot of this when I was a scientist - it's a way to resolve the cognitive dissonance of realizing that scientists are paid like shit and that it's mostly a terrible career choice.

And, of course, it just straight up goes against their own revealed preferences. Oh, money doesn't matter? That's weird, why aren't you giving it all away to people for whom it does matter then? Obviously money matters to damned near everyone.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I don't understand why this has to be a competition for so many men. This is one reason why I love my husband, he didn't care either way, and I treated him (maybe spoiled him) quite a bit, and it was fun.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!