Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    So they finally noticed that different cultures have different norms for non-verbal communication (yes, different cultures have different norms for how long an eye-contact has to last so it is deemed polite), promptly called it "racism", and then backpadled when someone else pointed out to them that there are people who struggle with communication?
    Maybe they should have asked someone who knows about those kinds of things before making statements like this?
    The were in an university, were they not?

Could you prove someone was not making eye contact, or is it just one persons word against another? Do you get punished for such a thing? It seems they are trying to please everyone creating tons of rules to follow where students would be spending more time trying to learn them all rather than spending time studying for their classes, but it's impossible to please everyone because rules like this conflict with each other and they aren't taking into account all cultures, because in some culture eye contact with strangers is seen as improper.

Micro-aggressions, lol. This is why I just opt for macro-aggressions, lobbed indiscriminately.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's comical.
    And tremendously sad, which just makes it hilarious.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

People who move to another country will almost always feel uncomfortable with the length (or shortness) eye contact takes in the new country, because the span of time that is the norm for politeness differs, but because most people do not consciously realize this part of communication they misjudge the intentions and reasons behind these differences and feel shunned or stared at.

I used to notice it whenever I came to different (European) countries: While eye contact generally has the same meaning in these western cultures the length that is the norm differs quite a bit: Whenever I came to Germany I felt stared at, but if I came to the UK after a few weeks everyone seemed came across as shifty, avoiding to look at you as if you had something on your face.
    In truth, Germans look at you a lot and for a long time and that is simply normal. They make eye contact to acknowledge you, then continue to look somewhere (which might include you). It isn't meant to be impolite.
    People in the UK however tend to expect you to avoid looking at them as a form of acknowledgement, which Germans would take as slight or expression of shame, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    The whole expansion offends me, and as such, you mentioning it is racism towards me!
    OMG a draenei. i'm very offended. draenei aggression!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Micro-aggressions, lol. This is why I just opt for macro-aggressions, lobbed indiscriminately.

And tremendously sad, which just makes it hilarious.
    i opt for succubus aggression. it's very hot and sexy.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I did have a chuckle at this. Never mind autistic people, some people are just shy and have difficulty making and maintaining eye contact. At least they didn't double down.
    Some people also come from a cultural background where it's impolite to make eye contact or where it can easily cause conflict if done wrong.

Deleted
    In my experience, people who avoid eye contact do so trying to not offend. "Look but don't stare" attitude.
    Codifying offense into a search for non-offensiveness seems like a perfect recipe for disaster. It's the kind of thing I wouldn't expect from a high institution of learning. Especially if they see any value to diversity whatsoever, since these attitudes vary greatly from culture to culture.

Meh i avoid eye contact with people because I don't like people.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Well, I guess we know who wins the oppression Olympics between autistic people and black people at Oxford.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Meh i avoid eye contact with people because I don't like people.
    I like people just fine for the most part and I still avoid eye contact a lot of the time, especially in large groups of people I don't know. I'm inherently introverted while I love interpersonal interaction with my friends or with interesting people, it's pretty mentally draining to engage with everyone all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Was it a black dog?
    Since we have Godwin's Law to account for instances where Hitler is brought into a conversion, should we have the same type of thing when someone invokes Led Zepplin?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I'm mostly offended SJW haven't all just jumped off a tall bridge already or go do something more useful with their time?
    I can't imagine the horror you'll experience when one day you look in a mirror and realise you're one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm not offended (even though I have a form of Autism myself and am one of the worst offenders of poor eye contact), I just think it's fucking hilarious that a university of their level would actually think something so comically stupid.
    The only thing really wrong with it is that it doesn't specifically say that it means avoiding eye contact only for particular races. Which is obvious from context.

So IMO this is just the internet enjoying more outrage masturbation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    So that leaves Britain with one university?
    What university would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    What university would that be?
    If memory serves me right the other one would be Cambridge.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-04-30 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Just so it's clear if you keep eye contact it's sexual harrasment. So no matter what just don't go outside or you might end up harassing someone.
    There's only one solution: never leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You obviously read it wrong if that's what you took away from it. How is that even a question? The article plainly states that Oxford apologized for not presenting an appropriately nuanced view.
    This was merely one thing on a list of several "racial micro-aggressions" meant to point out "everyday racism"...

For people who aren't autistic, do you agree that avoiding eye contact with someone means you are racist against them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    For people who aren't autistic, do you agree that avoiding eye contact with someone means you are racist against them?
    The key word is "avoiding".

Legitimately not paying attention to someone isn't automatically racist, because you haven't really noticed them; the lack of eye contact isn't representative of anything. Nor is it racism if you know they're behind you but don't spin around and lock eyes like a madman. It's racist if you avoid looking at, say, black people in the eye, when if they were white you would have. It's that difference in how you behave that is the issue.

It's not about normal eye contact. It's about when you avoid normal eye contact because certain ethnicities make you uncomfortable or you think they're beneath your regard or whatever. If you're treating them the same as you'd treat anyone else, in terms of eye contact, then obviously there's no discrimination going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's a stupid question.
    Apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The key word is "avoiding".

Legitimately not paying attention to someone isn't automatically racist, because you haven't really noticed them; the lack of eye contact isn't representative of anything. Nor is it racism if you know they're behind you but don't spin around and lock eyes like a madman. It's racist if you avoid looking at, say, black people in the eye, when if they were white you would have. It's that difference in how you behave that is the issue.

It's not about normal eye contact. It's about when you avoid normal eye contact because certain ethnicities make you uncomfortable or you think they're beneath your regard or whatever. If you're treating them the same as you'd treat anyone else, in terms of eye contact, then obviously there's no discrimination going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Apparently not.

Perhaps you missed that my entire response was basically an explanation as to why it was a stupid question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Perhaps you missed that my entire response was basically an explanation as to why it was a stupid question.
    Oh so his "stupid question" insult was an affirmation...

"Obviously its racist!"

My mistake, I thought he was acknowledging the absurdity of the assertion, but I guess not.