Tanking Mythic Guldan

Hi friends,

I was curious to hear anyone else's tips and tricks as we start our Guldan progression this week.

Has anyone successfully made it through on a protection warrior and can share what they were doing?

Does your guild aim to have all fel scythe's solo tanked with CD usage? If so, that would probably put us on Bonds and empowered bonds. Are we capable of handling each cast of those?

Then in phase 3, it looks like we'd be better on the add placement and dropping the fel pools from the leap?

Is there a reason not to split the fel scythe's more often?

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to best tank it, as well as any other insight on to what really stalled you on progression.

Going heavy mastery or heavy versatility? Have people transitioned to just heavy versatility at 910ish ilvl, or still mastery for physical fights?

Thanks!

Chewtoy

I'll make this short and sweet.

Just reroll bear (or even Brewmaster if you just despise Guardian druid).

Not even trolling, I'm dead serious. My guild was struggling on Mythic Gul'dan until our prot warrior leveled his bear up. We carried him through sentinax and shit to get him relinquished tokens, and then carried him through Heroic NH for gear.

Our guild was able to easily kill M Gul'Dan with his 890 bear rather than his 908 warrior. Now he's solo tanking that fight with bear.

Your raid group will also thank you later, trust me.
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-04-17 at 05:02 PM.

I swapped to Druid for NH, however warriors are best suited for Bonds and the meteor duty in p3. Slashes at 100 energy are typically done with a Monk or Druid. In p2 you probably want to help soak souls etc on a warrior.

Well unlike everyone else who says to just play bear I guess I'll tell you what to do if you are boss tanking Gul'dan as a warrior. Our comp is Warrior/Druid and we have our warrior tanking the boss because our druid is terrible at CD management. We are also still progressing but are in second phase going into 3rd.

Every scythe you need to have spell reflect for, and 1-2 additional effects depending on strength. I also had to save my immunity for the Fel Lord's second shatter so that was not an option for me to use on scythes. I'd typically use these following combos for scythe:

SR/DS/Ironbark
    SR/DS/Trinket
    SR/DS/LS
    SR/SW

We haven't had our holy paladin in because of computer issues so I'd have a sacrifice somewhere in there too at some point ideally. I will also use nelth's fury sometimes during it (not because it blocks the scythe) just so I won't spike to any melees during the scythe. You have to run anger management to have these CDs up each time for the scythes, no way around it. If you need visual help here I'll link a short vod of our P1 as well.

Edit: As far as gear goes, I'm probably a little overkill on Versatility to be honest. I'm at 20% (10% DR). My armory should be up to date with what I am wearing since I'm not swapping out of it during raid nights.
    Last edited by Cylunaria; 2017-04-17 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylunaria View Post
    Well unlike everyone else who says to just play bear I guess I'll tell you what to do if you are boss tanking Gul'dan as a warrior. Our comp is Warrior/Druid and we have our warrior tanking the boss because our druid is terrible at CD management. We are also still progressing but are in second phase going into 3rd.

Every scythe you need to have spell reflect for, and 1-2 additional effects depending on strength. I also had to save my immunity for the Fel Lord's second shatter so that was not an option for me to use on scythes. I'd typically use these following combos for scythe:

SR/DS/Ironbark
    SR/DS/Trinket
    SR/DS/LS
    SR/SW

We haven't had our holy paladin in because of computer issues so I'd have a sacrifice somewhere in there too at some point ideally. I will also use nelth's fury sometimes during it (not because it blocks the scythe) just so I won't spike to any melees during the scythe. You have to run anger management to have these CDs up each time for the scythes, no way around it. If you need visual help here I'll link a short vod of our P1 as well.

Edit: As far as gear goes, I'm probably a little overkill on Versatility to be honest. I'm at 20% (10% DR). My armory should be up to date with what I am wearing since I'm not swapping out of it during raid nights.
    Do you feel like you aren't holding the guild back by main tanking it? I see you went indomitable for the extra health pool. Does he gain permanent stacks by breaking fel scythe early or something?

What is getting you currently that you're still progressing on?

Are you going to be the one holding Illidan in phase 3 or is the druid?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
    Do you feel like you aren't holding the guild back by main tanking it? I see you went indomitable for the extra health pool. Does he gain permanent stacks by breaking fel scythe early or something?

What is getting you currently that you're still progressing on?

Are you going to be the one holding Illidan in phase 3 or is the druid?
    No, I am not actively holding our guild back by tanking it. Our druid literally couldn't do it (We're recruiting for a good tank currently! Preferably not a warrior though so mentioning here probably doesn't help much).

That was literally our first night of progress last night, so I don't think we are hitched anywhere. We got to 33% in P2, and are looking to get P2 down tonight (we raid 2 nights a week that's it).

Yes I am holding Illidan in P3.

Maybe I'm not understanding how he picks his bond targets, but there were multiple attempts last week where I'd have taunted, had aggro, he's punching me in the face and he'd pick the druid sending him flying off the edge.....any ideas what would cause this? Do you have to taunt well enough in advance that it's worn off and you have full aggro, or what's going on that may cause this behavior?

Maybe I'm not understanding how he picks his bond targets, but there were multiple attempts last week where I'd have taunted, had aggro, he's punching me in the face and he'd pick the druid sending him flying off the edge.....any ideas what would cause this? Do you have to taunt well enough in advance that it's worn off and you have full aggro, or what's going on that may cause this behavior?
    you have to taunt the boss BEFORE the cast of bonds
    1-2sec before in ideal world
    as soon as cast starts - your co-tank can safely taunt back because bonds are casted on the initial target of the cast

Shameless self promotion here but here's the video of my prot "tanking" Guldan. In reality I am the bonds bitch / soul well bitch/ flame crash bitch so I actively tanked something like 15% of the whole fight lol. Nonetheless it's very doable and I don't think people need to do anything as drastic as rerolling.

This is also a post 7.2 kill so I used devastator without any problems. There aren't really many good post 7.2 prot videos on wowprogress so if this helps people, great. I can answer any questions by PM or discord also. Good luck!

Just in case you thought I wasn't masochistic enough we are now tanking the boss with TWO protection warriors. We moved on from our trial bear to a new tank who we think we can trust going forward. I think we've probably got the means to make it work . Needless to say, warrior is fine!

I'm also running devastator this week. I felt comfortable enough with the fight that we decided I could run devastator to help push the boss with better timings in P1/2.

With only 1 real raid day this week as our first night was riddled with disconnects and literally the whole raid playing on 300+ ping for no reason I think us starting to get to p3 was a good stopping point for us with quite a few different people in for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by versuslol View Post
    you have to taunt the boss BEFORE the cast of bonds
    1-2sec before in ideal world
    as soon as cast starts - your co-tank can safely taunt back because bonds are casted on the initial target of the cast

Hmmm, maybe I was taunting too early and just wasn't noticing him being over my threat but not enough for full aggro right when the cast happened. I'll have to watch it better this week.

Actually looks like I was missing it by .034 of a second, so I need to do it earlier D:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by warbean View Post
    Shameless self promotion here but here's the video of my prot "tanking" Guldan. In reality I am the bonds bitch / soul well bitch/ flame crash bitch so I actively tanked something like 15% of the whole fight lol. Nonetheless it's very doable and I don't think people need to do anything as drastic as rerolling.

This is also a post 7.2 kill so I used devastator without any problems. There aren't really many good post 7.2 prot videos on wowprogress so if this helps people, great. I can answer any questions by PM or discord also. Good luck!

That's your first kill right? Where did you use lust as I don't see the debuff on you. I keep telling them it's possible to skip 2nd add in phase 1 but they won't listen D:
    Last edited by Chewtoy; 2017-04-25 at 04:28 PM.

Hmmm, maybe I was taunting too early and just wasn't noticing him being over my threat but not enough for full aggro right when the cast happened. I'll have to watch it better this week.

Actually looks like I was missing it by .034 of a second, so I need to do it earlier D:

- - - Updated - - -

That's your first kill right? Where did you use lust as I don't see the debuff on you. I keep telling them it's possible to skip 2nd add in phase 1 but they won't listen D:
    We lusted twice. Once at the very beginning and once at the very end. The debuff is on top of my character heath bar.

Yes, it was out first kill. Early in progression we committed to lusting at the start to avoid having to deal with the second add. We missed the dps check badly in our first few attempts and then inevitably our dps got better as people got comfortable. We missed it by over 5% in our first night of attempts but as you can see we crush the timer by the time of the kill, and didn't get any new gear as we had been extending.

I believe this to be the superior strategy as this fight will likely be nerfed and as people get more traits and gear, no one will want to extend this fight by 2-3 minutes for no reason. With more time comes more attempts for progression, which shouldn't be discounted on a long fight.

Here's the log too if anyone is interested https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...m1fFt#fight=15

Deleted
    We just killed it recently, with me as prot warrior tanking Gul'dan p1/2 and then soaking flame crashes in Illidan phase. My co-tank was a bear and in p1 he'd just run over me to trigger a fel scythe as soon as the last one's buff had gone (so every ~11 seconds). The energy is so low then that even an ignore pain should prevent you dying to it (but obviously you should rotate some light cooldowns nonetheless). The energy would get slightly higher each time the bear got punted away by empowered bonds, but it still wasn't anything remotely dangerous with any minor cd up.

In p2, the bear was soaking souls and so we usually only did fel scythes at over 50 energy, so more robust cooldowns were advisable than in p1 where you can get by with none.

For p3/Illidan, since I was on flame crash duty due to leap making it easy to move out.. there really wasn't anything to die to in this phase, you take nearly no damage from the add and flame crash can't 1shot you.

Overall, I guess by using a prot warrior it made our bear's life slightly more annoying, since he had to move over me more often to trigger scythes... but it certainly didn't make the fight harder by any real measure, we had maybe 1 or 2 wipes total to me dying (excluding wipes where he taunted late and I got knocked off the platform by bonds.. which is not related to tank-type).

Is there a better way to aim bonds? I feel like it's not based off of where I am reliably to boss or where my back is facing. Sometimes I go straight back where I think, other times I get pulled to the middle or really close to the edge.

Is there a better way to aim bonds? I feel like it's not based off of where I am reliably to boss or where my back is facing. Sometimes I go straight back where I think, other times I get pulled to the middle or really close to the edge.
    Not a 100% sure, but I think it depends where you stand AROUND the boss, not which way your character is facing. If you stand in a line between the center and Gul'dan, you get knocked towards the center. If you stand in front of him, you get knocked to wherever he's facing, etc. Basically knocking people away from him in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Soilx3 View Post
    Not a 100% sure, but I think it depends where you stand AROUND the boss, not which way your character is facing. If you stand in a line between the center and Gul'dan, you get knocked towards the center. If you stand in front of him, you get knocked to wherever he's facing, etc. Basically knocking people away from him in a straight line.
    Hmmm, that's what I thought but there were attempts where I was standing SE of him and he'd punt me due east and off out of nowhere so that's why I wasn't sure what was up.