Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    A lot of quest NPCs in various zones have the same quests, lots of quests in early lvling zones like Barrens and Durotar are the same with some newer ones mixed in so sometimes you can't really tell right away.

Then there's Silithus, which is basically the Vanilla museum. Bugs, drought, more bugs, cultists, demons, and then bigger bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    No those were changed as well. Nothing from the Vanilla 1-60 zones are really intact. I mean some of the quests and quest givers might be the same but every zone has new quests and usually some slight alterations to the zone itself. Any quest with a vehicle, for example, is post cataclysm. I believe vehicles were added in Wrath.

Honestly there isn't much at all. It kind of saddens me tbh. I genuinely don't like some of the alterations to the zones, quests, or dungeons. A lot of people hated Sunken Temple for the amount of time that it took to complete, but dungeons back then were supposed to take a while. You were supposed to get lost and explore and all of that. It never made much sense to my as to why they changed this dungeon but left others like Wailing Caverns intact.
    Vehicles were added in vanilla. The first vehicle was the goblin shredder in alterac valley. It was just super rare. In wrath, they made vehicles common.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Your in the same place, killing the same kind of mobs for the same quest items, in most of the quests. The strucutre is change d but the quests themselves are mostly the same (except for the places where entirely new stuff have appeared. Its like 1 Qline per zone that revolve around some new landmark brought on by the cataclysm.

If 90% of the quest you are doing is new then i wonder if youve played vanilla.

IN elwyn forest we still kill wolfs, we kill kobolds, we kill bandits, we light out fires, thats a new one!, we kill a fucking pig called princess, we go into a mine and kill kobolds, loot their candles and kill a named cobold. We kill hog... oh wait, we dont, we send him to jail.. mybad that ones changed very slightly. But we do collect the bandanas from the surrounding mobs. We kill murlocs for clams and we run to the logging camp where we are tasked with killing cats and bears aswell as loot a footlocker around some more murlocs. The Q to collect lumber is new thou, also the Q to kill some bandit casters in a ring.

So all in all id say 80% old Qs and 20% new ones for that zone at least.
    You claim that overall 90% of quests are new is bogus, name me one zone that has 90% new quests.
    Ok, you're right about Elwynn.
    Then you go to Westfall and start a murder case (new), go and follow some bosses around (new) while killing Defias (old) while feeding the poor(new) and it all culminates with the main hub being attacked (new).
    And Westfall hasn't even changed that much in terms of how the zone looks, I mean sure a part of it is gone west and the hub got some walls, but that's about it.

Next, Redridge, sure you can sum it up with the same "you kill orcs", but before you were tasked with "go kill 50 orcs, ok thx bye" now you have the whole Rambo thing, which, while odd, is different.

Duskwood, sure, ok, still somewhat revolves around the abomination but... now there's a whole new worgen area.

If we go to zones that changed a bit more, it becomes even more apparent of how changed it was. Wetlands, we have the whole trying to rescue to town, then the new night elf camp, the whole aiding the dragons, all these are new.
    Darkshore... I don't think there's more than 2-3 quests same as Classic. It's a totally different zone. Same for Ashenvale. Sure, if you resume it to "you kill orcs", it's the same, since you do that, but the whole way you do it and plot is different.

Let's look at Horde zones too, Tirisfal, now from the start you start dealing with the Rotbrains, which didn't even exist before, you fought some random Scourge zombies and spiders in a cave in Classic. Then once you go to Silverpine... you're in a whole different world from Classic.

Mulgore, before it was a "kill 50 beasts" fest with some dwarves sparkled in between. Now we have a quillboar invasion.

And honestly, the 1-10 zones are indeed some of the least changed ones, but once you go further the change is even more apparent.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2017-04-30 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    almost nothing except very few 'basics ideas'
    which is better since - except community - everything else was worse
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    almost nothing except very few 'basics ideas'
    which is better since - except community - everything else was worse
    Do you ever think that perhaps there a causal link between these two? They changed just about everything about the game since vanilla. Slowly, over time, people who do not like the new direction have gone and only those that like the new direction are left. And those that are left form a worse community than what vanilla had.

The only real answer here is, daze. Everything else has changed in some form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Let's look at Horde zones too, Tirisfal, now from the start you start dealing with the Rotbrains, which didn't even exist before, you fought some random Scourge zombies and spiders in a cave in Classic. Then once you go to Silverpine... you're in a whole different world from Classic
    I really hate what they did to Tirisfal, and Silverpine in particular. It's the area where I started in vanilla, and you could really sense the atmosphere of despair and desolation. Combined with the Plaguelands that whole area was just amazingly crafted content that hit all the right emotional beats.

Since Cataclysm it was all turned into this flashy theme park ride, on-the-rails from start to finish. It really highlights the change in the design philosophy of the whole game. You're no longer dropped into an expertly crafted world with rich lore underlying it and told to find your own way among many different types of content and ways of playing. Instead you're force fed this tightly controlled, linear questing funnel where you have no choices to make and no chance to fail at anything. It just doesn't feel like the World of Warcraft since vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by bgdfahrq View Post
    BACKPACK!!!

That old satchel will outlive the universe let alone WoW!
    To be fair why fix what isn't worth fixing when you can just keep adding bigger bags?

Problem with that default bag is it's hardcoded. So fixing it would create more issues than it would solve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    No those were changed as well. Nothing from the Vanilla 1-60 zones are really intact. I mean some of the quests and quest givers might be the same but every zone has new quests and usually some slight alterations to the zone itself. Any quest with a vehicle, for example, is post cataclysm. I believe vehicles were added in Wrath.

Honestly there isn't much at all. It kind of saddens me tbh. I genuinely don't like some of the alterations to the zones, quests, or dungeons. A lot of people hated Sunken Temple for the amount of time that it took to complete, but dungeons back then were supposed to take a while. You were supposed to get lost and explore and all of that. It never made much sense to my as to why they changed this dungeon but left others like Wailing Caverns intact.
    Elwynn Forest, kinda unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    People that keep complaining how much better vanilla was.
    how the hell could "people complaining how much better vanilla WAS" be LEFT from vanilla ???

this makes exactly 0 sense. and even it would make sense in the slightest, it is that clumsy, obvious and uncreative, that it is not even funny at all.

moron-stuff. greetings to det.

Arathi Basin is 100% intact from its original vanilla version.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

personally i vote for this:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=6310/19-pound-catfish

this is a legendary offhand weapon, mostly used to slap jerks, doing lame "hmpf hmpf vanilla nostalgia hmpf hmpf" jokes, into the face. since patch 1.11, till today, it works like a charm.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2017-04-30 at 12:05 PM.

The female orc channel bug from vanilla still exists as far as I know. If you type /sleep and then channel something, her animation completely bugs out. I know it was still bugged in WoD.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can level to 80+ in Whites as a hunter, most would-be Elites are normals, so while the terrain might be similar, difficulty and story lines changed a bunch.

Of course there's still some classic quest-chains, but if they involved Elites, usually they are normal mobs now.

As far as zones, of course outside of the damage of Cataclysm, much of the terrain of some zones is almost 100% the same.

Moonglade/Felwood/Winterspring/Ungoro/Silithus/Feralas/Elwynn/Duskwood/Redridge/Tirisfal/Eastern Plaguelands have very little Deathwing/Elemental Damage.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-04-30 at 12:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    how the hell could "people complaining how much better vanilla WAS" be LEFT from vanilla ???

this makes exactly 0 sense. and even it would make sense in the slightest, it is that clumsy, obvious and uncreative, that it is not even funny at all.

moron-stuff. greetings to det.
    /facepalm...
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by VolksDK View Post
    As someone who joined in Cataclysm, I'm curious as to what is actually left from Vanilla in the current game. Questlines, unaltered zones etc

I've done Loremaster of EK and Kalimdor and all that comes to mind is Swamp of Sorrows and Dustwallow Marsh.
    most abilities
    all zones other then silithus
    alot of the quests are sorta the same to the orignal ones but changed to work better, and some of the zones are completly different and share not a single quest with the old
    class quests from vanilla removed other then a weapon and helmet quest
    alot of old dungeons

the only things leftover are some quests, some zones (like the starting zones are mostly the same atleast visually wise) some spells, and the raids aswell as some dungeons

Grind/loot centered gameplay.

Since my first day of pre-BC till today, the game still has done nothing to focus on making WoW anything other than a Diablo 3 MMO. There is absolutely no point to this game if you're not PVPing other than grinding loot. For what? To grind more loot.

Sure, there's lifeless and insipid gimmicks like achievements and pokemon, but who the fuck plays an MMO based off the Warcraft RTS because they want to play pokemon, or grind some no life shit like the Booty Bay titles achievements.

So at its core, the game is the same, there's now just more ways to grind loot than before, as much as people will try to sugarcoat it.

Pre-BC activists will tell you the game was "so much better", but outside the forced community interaction because we had no tools or mods to find groups to do things, they'll be hard pressed to defend their weakly founded arguments.

Well, I'm left from Vanilla.. that's good enough! Rejoice!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    People that keep complaining how much better vanilla was.
    where was the complaint? the OP was asking a simple question.
    get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    where was the complaint? the OP was asking a simple question.
    get over yourself.
    Get over what, his reply was perfectly true, people constantly asking for classic server and going "pre-bc was so much better" are everywhere, it wasn't directed at the original poster, YOU get over yourself and learn to fucking read.