10+ Year Old Account
    The Fifth Element (1997): 10/10

They don't make movies like that anymore. What an aesthetically pleasing, engaging and fun ride. Really gives a perspective of authenticity using real decors instead of plopping green screens on literally every shot. Too bad modern movies have completely lost that magic spark with all their try hard plots and edgy storytelling, which are just not that interesting most of the time. Older movies made much less sense, but because they didn't take themselves too seriously, their certain playfulness made them much more appealing to the viewer, at least in my case. Compare this older Besson movie to a newer one like Lucy, and this becomes much more obvious.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-04-28 at 08:35 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    both are mind boggling movies.. i loved both of them

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WillanT View Post
    both are mind boggling movies.. i loved both of them
    Are you a bot?

- - - Updated - - -

Swiss Army Man 4/10

The last line in the movie sums up my thoughts:
    "What the fuck?"
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    2 Movies

Moonlight: 9/10
    Didnt watch the trailer and had no idea what this was about apart from having a great review. This was a pretty emotional one, and one I wont forget it for a long time. The music and setting just go so well together. Also had something for most people I think; the struggle with emotion, isolation, being different and/or rough time growing up really transcends.

Carol: 8/10
    Not as captivating as Moonlight and it took me a little bit to warm up to Carol (queue the puns..) but ended up as a romantic daydream.

Alien and LIFE I really need to see aswell.

The Guns of Navarone - 9/10 (Great)

I rarely give out anything above an 8/10 nowadays, but this film legitimately earned it's status as one of the greats in my book. A thoroughly compelling story with interesting, non-standard characters, excellent acting and great special effects. If you have Netflix, I'd recommend that you put this one in your queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2. 8.5/10

BRILLIANT film, takes everything the first film did and dials it up to 11. It's funnier, better action, more heart and some genuinely emotional sections. An absolute must watch for any fan of Marvel.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Circle 2/10

Terrible.

Get Out 6/10

When I watched it I thought it was incredibly cheesy and overall less than mediocre. Later when I checked the reviews apparently it was satire and meant to be funny, which I thought was pretty funny in itself. Generally I love satire and humor but apparently this was so sophisticated it went over my head. I did like how the buildup was diffused and how it ended though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I re-watched Adaptation. for a class I'm taking. Some of Nick Cage's finest work. 8/10. Only reason I didn't rate it higher is it gives me anxiety at times, lol.
    I still have this one on DVD, somewhere. From the top of my head its also with Meryl Streep, right? Think its the only Cage film I liked lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    I still have this one on DVD, somewhere. From the top of my head its also with Meryl Streep, right? Think its the only Cage film I liked lol.
    Leaving las Vegas is really good as well. But that's about it.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Norman 7/10

Very well acted character piece. I felt the narrative was pretty lackluster but the performances rise above the basic material. Great feeling of New York. Made me homesick.

Sleight 7/10

Fun little take on the superhero genre. I greatly enjoyed the subtext of slavery and emancipation through various genre tropes of the S.H. genre. Really struck me as an American perspective. Not only in the inherent premise but in it's metaphor. Nicely done. A better resolution to the conflict would have been nice and some performances are uneven- kinda sucking some of the life out of the greater themes. It's not like Dope (which Sleight is being compared to) that had it's actors and narrative drive enhance that film's more modest themes.

Unforgettable 7/10

This is trash. Elegant, kinda brilliantly executed trash though. The movie nails all the angles of the 'woman-v-other woman' tropes. Nails them with such aplomb that the filmmakers have to had a lot of fun knowingly playing with them.

The cinematography is BRILLIANT. Holy fuck the framing in this film is insane. Art direction is top notch. This is the genre done par excellence.

It's even written brilliantly. Intentional cringe scenes like messing up a child's allergy playing against the role of women in domestic American life. But using that rather mild faux pas as a the springboard for the social competitiveness of the female dominated sex culture.

This is low key awesome and subversive.

The Circle 3/10 (I think Watson did try)
    Referred to as a "thriller" is really wasn't.
    Boring as hell, and Emma Watson tries to carry the load of crap that the script has her spewing, but it was just too much for her really. (The shit she was saying on the stage that we saw in the trailer was contrived fallacy-ridden nonsense that was later added to even more bullshit that she was saying in a boardroom...
    I said aloud "Are you fucking kidding me?" which drew a few people near me to /clap)

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and a casual knowledge of recent history...ugh...

This was a complete waste of time.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 7.5/10

An enjoyable film with all the parts you loved from the first. Fantastic worlds and creative action set pieces again with its unique charm. However some of it felt a bit hit and miss. The music selection didnt quite gel as well as the first movie and felt a little forced in some of the set pieces. But was excellent in others. Particularly fleetwood mac's and the chain.

Stand out performances come from the supporting characters like Yondu played by Michael rooker who steals the show I feel. The main cast feel a little one dimensional except for the action sequences.

Overall what holds it back is the story is a bit all over the place, and a certain group of villians don't really add much to the overall movie as well as others pieces I don't want to spoil. Its not tight so the movie drags a little in places. And stops it from being one of those free flowing blockbusters that hold up to multiple viewings. Also the humor feels a little forced in the first half and felt a little juvenile with penis and fart jokes
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-04-30 at 01:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardians of the galaxy vol 2: 8.5 I did not really enjoy the first one. It was decent but most of the jokes fell flat for mer and I hate that stupid "dance off" at the end, even worse than "MARTHA!"... Anyway this one was so much better in my opinion. As a comic book fan it was also nice to see all the easter eggs and things that Gunn brought in to the movie, future hints on characters and entities that can have a great impact on the MCU in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by A Couple of Things Nice View Post
    Shutter Island - is absolutely amazing, was one of my top movies that year

IMO, watch "Shutter Island" asap
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Shutter Island
    As per the recommendations, I watched Shutter Island, in my living room at noon. (I would normally watch a movie on the second screen of my desktop at night, but I decided that I should put some effort and ignore the large amounts of work I had to do to pay attention. First time I watched a movie in the living room, actually...) Anyway...

The introduction really sucks you in. The whole concept/story was a really fun setting to watch.

It gets slow at parts because it emphasizes some...non-important things. Not bad slow, but it was a weird shift from "pay attention during this scene or you'll miss out on some witty or quick paced conversation" to "just stare at this slow silent scene about what this guy is imagining" and it throws the pace off.

Another thing that bothered me was the sound. Idk if it was because I was watching it on my living room TV (compared to me using headphones) or because of the stream, but there are some parts where it's very hard to hear the voices of the character. I think it's deliberate, because the movie tries to focus on the sounds of the background or certain other noises, but between those emphasized sound effects, everyone constantly talking with a cigarette in their mouths, and everyone having an accent, the sound quality left a bit to be desired. (And I usually never care about this.)

Overall it was a good movie. Recommended as a mind fuck, yeah it's a guilty pleasure that I enjoyed watching.

(Non-biased) I'll give it a 4.5/10. I enjoyed it and it was really good, but I can't call it extraordinary by my standards, partially for the reasons I mentioned and for some other key movie qualities that I didn't mention.

Gotg vol 2 8/10

Really enjoyed it, was funny and heartfelt and entertaining.

Loved the Easter eggs and nods to future things.

Just disappointed they didnt use a Bowie Song, Starman would of been perfect fit.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's odd then that you'd rate it below decent. If it's decent, a neutral 5 would be warranted. And if anything above decent, at least a 6!

4 = below average, 5 = neutral, neither good nor bad, 6 = above average. No?
    You must be new here.

It's odd then that you'd rate it below decent. If it's decent, a neutral 5 would be warranted. And if anything above decent, at least a 6!

4 = below average, 5 = neutral, neither good nor bad, 6 = above average. No?
    He gave guardians of the galaxy vol 1 a 2/10. I wouldn't expect any kinda non biased reviews from him

The movie was a critical and commercial success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    He gave guardians of the galaxy vol 1 a 2/10. I wouldn't expect any kinda non biased reviews from him

The movie was a critical and commercial success.
    So was the new Ghostbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    So was the new Ghostbusters.
    No it wasnt. It was a critical and commercial failure. What are you talking about? Its not even getting a sequel

Ghostbusters (2016)

Domestic Total Gross: $128,350,574

Production Budget: $144 million

It didnt even break even on domestic and with Foreign it only made $229,147,509 world wide.

Guardians vol 1 made $773,328,629 world wide with budget of $170 million.

Source http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-05-01 at 08:14 PM.