Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Sorry but no. It has nothing to do with "powerleveling alts". It's to do with the game wanting to sell more XP pots. Because without them you cannot ding 70 through the story alone. I've done it on alt and I conked out around 68-69.
    I'm pretty sure you couldn't even ding 65 without XP pots when NT hit. At least, I know I did every single none raid quest in the game, both new and old, an only ended up at about a third of the way through level 64. It might have gotten better with Tyrants Forge and PTW added later on however, but on launch at least getting to 65 without some form of XP boost was a pain in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    i am for buying the game not the shit in it Buy-to-play and subscription are good ways to monetize a pair of wings or armor dye is crap in any game video games aren't like cars you shouldn't need to buy all this extra flashy crap it's not the core reason why rift is shit right now but it's one of them
    The fact that you don't need to buy the "extra flashy crap" is what makes cosmetics so appealing though. They're not directly influencing your power in game, they're not affecting other players, nor do they offer you any advantages. Unlike offering other convenience perks which can, sometimes, fall into a grey area where it's unclear if they're pay to win or not, with cosmetic items there's not even a hint of ambiguity. They're the ideal way for developers to monetise a free to play game without upsetting their players.

At the end of the day is someone else wearing a hoodie, a pink princess outfit or a bunch of cash shop items that makes them look like Ryu such a bad thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean questions that nearly every other online service has to prevent fraud/theft measures? When I open a ticket to Blizzard depending on the severity measure they ask for my secret question. Especially if it's a payment/CC issue.
    I have worked for...well, we'll just say an extremely popular company that locks things behind security questions. I worked in a call center. I cannot tell you the sheer number of calls I'd get on a daily basis involving people who can't remember the answers to their security questions. And I can't blame them. People make these answers when they set up their accounts, and then years later when they finally have to answer them, they don't know. Because sometimes, the questions are so fucking obscure that the answers/memories aren't easy to remember.

Sure, things like "What is your birthday", "What's your mother's maiden name", shit like that are easy. But I've seen ones that are like, "What did you do in the Summer of 2000?", "What was the name of the street you grew up on?" That last one in particular is hard. My parents moved us around a LOT. There wasn't ONE street I 'grew up' on. And what did I do in the summer of 17 fucking years ago? Fucked if I know. I obviously would've known back then, but I can barely remember what I did last month, much less 17 years ago. And those are just two examples, I've seen so much worse.

Because I've been on the other side of this, I regularly check all the accounts I have security questions to. I even sometimes write them down if I know I won't remember them. I will update them as often as I can to be relevant. But most people don't do that, and most people don't think about them until it's too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

[QUOTE=Eleccybubb;45555328]Again cosmetics are fine. Things such as bonus rolls are not. There are games that pride their stores on cosmetics and do well because of it. Cosmetic purchases are certainly not a reason why the game is in a bad spot now. I'm all for criticizing Rift but this is just attacking something that doesn't need attacking.

I'm sorry @lokoma but if that's your only response to someone trying to have a discussion with you then you have lost this discussion/debate I'm afraid.

I stand by my stance. Paid cosmetics are fine. They affect nothing. You are not forced to buy them. However in terms of Rifts store the amount of non cosmetic stuff is stupid. But again if you just want to scream "I'm right" because you want to blindly attack Rift then what's the point in trying to reason with you?

There are things to criticize Rift for. Paid cosmetics is certainly not one when it is a common thing to monetize among MMOs. If you want to actually discuss Rift and it's issues I am all for it. But if you just want to scream you are right and create this echo chamber of blindly attacking it then just no. Tera, FF14, WoW, GW2, Rift, ESO, Black Desert and more all have Cosmetics in their cash shops.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-05-01 at 10:03 PM.

I kinda get where lokoma is coming from. What he seems to want is kinda the same thing I like from games. I want to be able to either buy the game, or sub to a game, or both the way WoW and FFXIV still are and the entire market used to be and have access to everything in the game. People should not be able to pay extra money and get things not available to those who do not spend extra money. I still wish Rift had an option like Star Wars where I could sub and just have access to everything, all souls, all content, all everything and get a stipend to spend on cosmetics. I likely would have subbed all through NT and still be subbed for SFP(and paid for SFP) if there were content for me to do. I know many others who feel the same. It's not the way the market is going though. Obviously, as I grow older things change and the younger generations like the new way things are. That's fine. I'll stick to games that I enjoy the way they do things because, like most people, I hate change. But things change, it's part of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised Rift even has it's own sub-forum on here still. You would think it would of got removed by now same with SWTOR & GW2. Oh how far the proclaimed WoW Killers have fallen.
    Gw2 still has a large active player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It does not take much for an MMORPG to profit for years.

I used to work for two companies that ran MMORPGs; one of which was Frogster. A single server with just 8k active players was a HUGE profit for us. Enough to run that games for years and years. It's still running and that was almost 10 years ago.

Creating new assets, voice acting and advertising are the most costly things in game development. It's like the majority of a given game's budget actually. Rift doesn't have a lot of VO, they reuse many assets and advertising is almost strictly web-based banners.

If they have just 10k or so players across their regions it is very likely they are profitable.

MMOs are very difficult to 'kill'. Most can run for decades.
    Tabula Rasa and CoH T-T
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

today in existing rift news All Warfronts Open!.....that's so nice you can now do some more of the game content that was available in previous expansions. /slow clap

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    All MMO's die eventually, which kind of makes me regret putting so much time into them.

Maybe when RIFT shuts down they'll have a single player client available for download so we don't loose our characters or access to the world but I doubt it.
    Not all... wow * cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    Not all... wow * cough*
    WoW will die one day too.

today in existing rift news All Warfronts Open!.....that's so nice you can now do some more of the game content that was available in previous expansions. /slow clap
    And in return Port Scion and Conquest have been removed because barely anyone was touching them. Hell I had Black Garden groups that struggled to fill. That's how dire PvP is.

And in return Port Scion and Conquest have been removed because barely anyone was touching them. Hell I had Black Garden groups that struggled to fill. That's how dire PvP is.
    they were also pushing the pvp announcer voices dlc on one of the rift stream i was watching....

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Tabula Rasa and CoH T-T
    TB is one of the rare exceptions. MOST do run for a very long time.

CoH had a run of 9 years before shut down.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-05-06 at 04:35 AM.

in a last ditch effort rift gives their expansion out for free for one last cheap pop! and in the not too distant future people will reach the end game content and realize it's really a flaming pile of dog shit!.

RIFT 4.1: FORGED IN SHIT!
    elsewhere as the evil dwarf TrionBrasse is secretly playing GW2! every time they walk by her desk she just tabs out of GW2!!!

I tried to level at 62.
    As boring as hell.

The leveling is too slow compare to the modern MMORPG, such as WoW and SWTOR.

Speaking of "You're not in Azeroth anymore." I didn't want to be, I hated Cata. It being such an awful expansion is what caused me to start shopping for a new MMO in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, at the time Rift released it was a vastly superior game to WoW.

I didn't stay as long as I would have liked because the frequency of the world events burned me out too much to keep playing, so after about a year I had to quit. I couldn't keep up with having to farm all new currency and RNG drops every 6 weeks. I think all of those items are in the shop now, heh.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

just an update rift still sucks ass

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-06-03 at 07:18 AM.

i check the forums ones and a while to see it anything interesting is happening in the game, been hoping to get some value for what i put in to the game so far
    and everyday a little piece of that hope dies.......and the rift people don't even seem interested in listening to the players
    I was reading through the official forums thinking about playing again, and there is so much 'This is nerfed" That is nerfed, This is going to be nerfed, this build is obsolete, etc...

The feeling I came away with so many souls, so many ways to go the developers have nerfed classes to the point you are boxed in to specific builds and rotations in order just to barley survive playing the game.
    Last edited by Cobaltius; 2017-06-15 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I was reading through the official forums thinking about playing again, and there is so much 'This is nerfed" That is nerfed, This is going to be nerfed, this build is obsolete, etc...

The feeling I came away with so many souls, so many ways to go the developers have nerfed classes to the point you are boxed in to specific builds and rotations in order just to barley survive playing the game.
    I think there is definitely a bit less build variety, but some of that perception also very much comes due to the considerably decreased activity in the class guide forums. They used to be pretty robust, with plenty of discussion regarding a variety of builds, with updated build guides/discussions for major patches. The few times I've gone back to check to see about updated builds the forums have been pretty depressing, with most of the builds being pretty outdated (at least a patch old, sometimes more) and there being a definite decrease in the number of builds that were still being discussed etc.