Thread: The wall

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Here's a good explanation:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I think competitiveness includes more general internal policy, like we could be more competitive by lowering the minimum wage. Protectionistic always relates to how we defend ourselves from other countries.
    Lol... Americans already don't want to do that work at the current minimum wage.

You think they would be more willing to do it for even less money?

The delusion is real.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cool, they can go to Europe. That leaves more resources for current citizens.
    Cheer all you want lol it's fucking dead for american to, and it's not going to change... Your country has one of the worst economic mobility of developed countries. HOORAY!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Lol... Americans already don't want to do that work at the current minimum wage.

You think they would be more willing to do it for even less money?

The delusion is real.
    We need to automate that work but the problem is illegals are reducing the incentive to do that innovation.

Thats the all-mighty wall?

Shit's already rusty

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    Cheer all you want lol it's fucking dead for american to, and it's not going to change... Your country has one of the worst economic mobility of developed countries. HOORAY!
    Acquire skills. Solve problems. Innovate.

Simply being born and expecting a (American)dream to fall in your lap doesn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I think competitiveness includes more general internal policy, like we could be more competitive by lowering the minimum wage. Protectionistic always relates to how we defend ourselves from other countries.

Well that is one way to force people to get even more jobs to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need to automate that work but the problem is illegals are reducing the incentive to do that innovation.
    How exactly do minimum wage laws have anything to do with that? Illegals not only illegally work off the books, but also usually for far less than minimum wage.

7+ Year Old Account
    How exactly do minimum wage laws have anything to do with that? Illegals not only illegally work off the books, but also usually for far less than minimum wage.
    Okay. My point is we need to create legal machines to do that, not allow illegals in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Or go to the nearest welfare office to get food stamps. It's not hard.

Honestly, anyone that thinks the wall is at all feasible is completely oblivious to the pitfalls of federal eminent domain, as many of the cases from pre-2008 (2006, I believe for some and 2008 for others with "Secure Fence") for the original fence are still in litigation. For "Secure Fence" it required the purchase and VOLUNTARY sale of property by around 500 land owners. Those 700 miles of a mere fence took more than a decade to get out of court. This also ignores the fact that much of the border is on the Rio Grande floodplain, which cannot be built on due to a signed and ratified treaty between the U.S. and MExico which despite Donny-boy's bullshit cannot just be ignored or overturned. While there was an exception made in 2007 that was for a mere fence not a "Huge" or "Bigly" or "Big-league" wall or whatever other nonsense adjective you want to use. Most of those cases also ended up settling for around 1200% of the governments original offer, so expect massive cost over-runs not even counting TD's personal corruption and likely massive conflicts of interest. This also ignores any environmental concerns, geological concerns (Good luck building a stable wall along a good 3rd of the Texas border!)

Leaving aside the ineffectiveness of a wall or a fence, (Cause a rope is hard to freaking find??) The costs alone make the wall a fantasy on an almost ridiculous level.
    "Small Government!" the GOP screams.
    Municipalities pass municipal legislation
    "No, not THAT SMALL!" the GOP screams, louder this time.

I hadn't heard him say that. But indeed that would be counter-productive to the goal of border security.
    It was in his budget proposal where he wanted cuts to everything but the military, border patrol and the VA. Fortunately, congress is not as dumb as the Donald.

Any nickel spent on making the wall would be better used on the Coast Guard never mind a multitude of other resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or go to the nearest welfare office to get food stamps. It's not hard.
    I suppose the government should support the employees of businesses. Putting taxes to good use.

7+ Year Old Account
    I suppose the government should support the employees of businesses. Putting taxes to good use.
    Yeah the government should support citizens with basic stuff, like food stamps. But not luxuries.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-05-02 at 07:56 PM.

Denmark doesn't have minimum wages though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, thats not really true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Denmark doesn't have minimum wages though.
    Ye, and?

Denkmark has proper unions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    The briefing ended. Go to minute 59 for the part about the wall.
    59:00 is an...interesting place to start.

The president's priorities are now defense, border security, school choice, which he got. Except he only got half of what he wanted for defense, I guess. Oh, and "border security" doesn't include the Wall. And it's more of a "down payment" to quote Pence, seeing as how it was less than half of what was asked for. School choice in this context apparently means the $1.4B in vouchers, considering his proposed cut to the entire Department of Education was hacked down by five times that, seems fairly small And I guess the 160 GOP riders on the budget bill that were removed weren't all that important.

And I guess everything else Trump promised isn't a priority. Like, I dunno, that infrastructure thing. Or jobs. Or a deportation force.

And what did the Democrats get? I mean, other than fully restored funding for the EPA.
    Oh, and the NIH.
    And PBS.
    And Planned Parenthood.
    And sanctuary cities.
    And clean energy research. And some other science funding.
    And CDBG, which includes Meals on Wheels.
    And Puerto Rico, which was apparently a big deal and I missed that.

"The President delivered on his promises"

Yeah, he delivered on so many promises he's already threatening to shut down the government in September. That's how you recognize a winner, right? Someone threatening to flip the table is just excited that he won?

In all fairness this is a compromise by both sides and I hope to see more of that. But for Trump to claim he won and the Democrats lost is par for the course: another laughable attempt to defy how inept he is at this and instead just lies about it in the face of reality.

I must say, I like the "the President out-negotiated them [the Dems]" at the end. Because holy fuckballs was that stupidly false.

On topic: bragging that you have "several hundreds of millions" to work on the wall, estimated cost $67 billion, is like bragging about having enough money to buy a car because you found $200 in your sock drawer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grauk View Post
    Honestly, anyone that thinks the wall is at all feasible
    Hmm. Which should I use here?

"Who knew building a wall would be this complicated?"

Or

"Andrew Jackson approved of the Chinese building the wall! He was completely for it, him and his big heart!"

Or

“This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier.”

Or

"Nobody builds walls better than me, believe me"

Man, these things write themselves.

Hey, has Mexico agreed to pay for the wall yet? Because apparently, we just agreed not to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    A taped off stretch of desert with the sign "RESERVED FOR WALL"
    I was thinking more like length... does he even know what a mile is, much less one thousand nine hundred and eighty nine of them. How far has he ever walked?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    Meanwhile, along the US-Canada border...
    Always had a hunch that Canadians were actually white walkers... /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What a bullshit artist.
    He's not even an artist.

He's a bullshit hipster that vomits out something then acts snobby about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    He's not even an artist.

He's a bullshit hipster that vomits out something then acts snobby about it
    Art is subjective! Trump is the black velvet Elvis painting of BS.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-