Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Movies don't have to be 1:1 with the books. If they was then the movies would be pointless. Want the book read the book.
    I agree, some changes must be made, because of the nature of the medium used to tell the same story. But if you're making unneccessary changes, that is nothing but wet dreams and fanfic. I don't want it. If you can't stay true to the source material, create your own, don't destroy already established.

All the time we get these geniouses who think they know what they're doing better than the original authors without even understanding the story. Ben Hur (2016), Game of Thrones, Noah, Ghost in the Shell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Drawing of the Three (second of the series). Susanah Walker- racist black woman (with MPD no less). Roland goes into her head- her initial thoughts of him are (pardon the language), "Honk Mah Fahker." (In the novels, Roland is white, and has blue eyes). It goes weird like that for a good portion of the book.

Casting choices aside.

This "sequel" was endorsed by King, however I would have happier had he written the script. This just reeks of fanfiction to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Harry Potter movies and the books are pretty friggin close to one another. That's the treatment a lot of us were looking for.

After the disaster called "Under the Dome", I was worried about what they would do to DT.
    isnt king writing the book version of the movie?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    I agree, some changes must be made, because of the nature of the medium used to tell the same story. But if you're making unneccessary changes, that is nothing but wet dreams and fanfic. I don't want it. If you can't stay true to the source material, create your own, don't destroy already established.

All the time we get these geniouses who think they know what they're doing better than the original authors without even understanding the story. Ben Hur (2016), Game of Thrones, Noah, Ghost in the Shell etc.
    again, this isnt an adaption, it never was going to be an adaption.

- - - Updated - - -

also i dont see why you think there wont be any sequels. theyve already greenlit a tv series that will star idris elba and jake for small parts of the show in the beginning of episodes as they show rolands past in this timeline like in wizard and glass that will lead into the next movie
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nope, I know very little of the book and thought the trailer was epic.
    I know nothing of the book and thought the trailer was bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't read the books so it doesn't bother me. I think Elba is a good choice.

Deleted
    first couple of the books are good - then 4th book he goes back wards about susannsh - 5th book goes over books 1, 2, 3, 4 again and so on, bit weird,

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Haven't read the books so it doesn't bother me. I think Elba is a good choice.
    elba is a good choice for anything. i cant think of a single movie he wasnt great in.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    If you can't stay true to the source material, create your own, don't destroy already established.

It doesn't destroy what is already established because the original is still there if you want it.

The fact you try to use GITS as a example shows you are just wanting to bitch and moan.

Don't like the movie or want to see it fine, No one is putting a gun to your head. But this movie does ZERO to the original source material and nether did GITS.

Your just as bad as the people who are bitching and moaning about the Netflix Death Note movie.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    This movie is planned as a sequel to the books. If you have read them, you know why this fits perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    elba is a good choice for anything. i cant think of a single movie he wasnt great in.
    Thor, but that wasn't is acting but limited script/on-screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Harry Potter movies and the books are pretty friggin close to one another. That's the treatment a lot of us were looking for.

After the disaster called "Under the Dome", I was worried about what they would do to DT.
    Correct there is movies that do it great, But going as far as saying X destory's Y because its not 1:1 with Y is childish. I understand it not being 1:1 and that upsetting people.

But there is a line and it gets crossed when people act like Version X effects Version Y. I though Dark Knight Rises was shit for many reasons, It has no effect on any other Batman story.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    This movie is planned as a sequel to the books. If you have read them, you know why this fits perfectly.
    exactly. i dont see anything off in this movie. granted the "portal" they go through i wouldve preferred if it was an actual door like in drawing of the three but its not like the series didnt have scifi shit in it already what with the giant robot bear with a satellite hat in book three or the thomas the tank engine rip off ai train that told riddles

roland is traveling through the desert except this time he has the horn of eld because this is his last turn of the wheel and he does everything right in this version, doesnt let jake die, man in black gets away so he never loses his hand on the beach, they have to find another way to get to him.

but since eddie and susannah are still meant to be part of his ka-tet and theyve said they might show up in the next movie im guessing he still draws them into his world somehow.

now if this does well and it gets a sequel i will get mad if they downplay eddies drug addiction and odettas racism

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Isn't him being white something that is relevant due to some racist woman later on?
    Yes, Odetta Holmes encountered racial violence early in life and hated whites, developing a violent racist persona, Detta Walker who serves to defend Odetta. Later, she integrates her personalities into one, Suzannah and falls in love with Eddie.

I've said this before, but I think they can get away with Idris as Roland and just call him an Uncle Tom from Detta's perspective.

Now, if Eddie was black too, that'd be a seismic shift which would complete erase that aspect of Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker. But neither Eddie nor Odetta are in this movie, so.......yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another book adaptation that's bound to be run of the mill fantasycore with zero sense of suspense, with by the numbers unintricate storytelling, complete lack of or nonsensical character development, or anything that resembles real struggle to make it interesting, that will be lauded by millions as great because "it looks flashy".

Not much faith in Hollywood anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've said this before, but I think they can get away with Idris as Roland and just call him an Uncle Tom from Detta's perspective.

Now, if Eddie was black too, that'd be a seismic shift which would complete erase that aspect of Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker. But neither Eddie nor Odetta are in this movie, so.......yeah.
    exactly, and its not like detta was particularly racist against whites in particular she was a complete psychopathic crazy person who hated everyone and everything

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Yeah, although it makes the anger she directs at Roland and the resistance she gives him out of context. As you said, it is not a character breaking change but it is a detrimental one.

Did you see the framed picture of the Overlook Hotel in the trailer?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I'm pretty unimpressed by the trailer. It seems like they're going with action/fantasy Hollywood marketability rather than the low-key tone of the books. I'm fine with adaptations altering source material to make it translate better to the big screen, but not when it simply involves watering down the story into something generic and superficial. Trailers can always be misleading of course, but the amount of action explosions and stylised gun-fu makes me feel like they're missing the point and emphasising style over the real substance of the story.

We'll see how it turns out, but this doesn't leave me feeling hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I'm pretty unimpressed by the trailer. It seems like they're going with action/fantasy Hollywood marketability rather than the low-key tone of the books. I'm fine with adaptations altering source material to make it translate better to the big screen, but not when it simply involves watering down the story into something generic and superficial. Trailers can always be misleading of course, but the amount of action explosions and stylised gun-fu makes me feel like they're missing the point and emphasising style over the real substance of the story.

We'll see how it turns out, but this doesn't leave me feeling hopeful.
    I mean, roland shooting super fast and doing gun tricks is kind of his thing..

The comments on youtube are hilarious. People frothing at the mouth because a black person was cast in a film...

Makes me even more disappointed that Idris wasn't cast as James Bond, the racist morons may have had a synchronised cardiac episode and we'd be done with the lot of them.