Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hot lunch isn't what is making our children fat and unhealthy. Soda, candy and fast food are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Of course they did. Kids never want to eat healthy food.
    And that sums it up. Its not the fault of the food choices, its the bratty kids who won't eat it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e66effb68d98

Yeah ok there. So his plan is to make our children less healthy?
    I thought the President is supposed to improve the country!?
    Michelle's plan was to starve children, fuck her plan. The best plan would be serving them healthy food.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I've known too many track, soccer, football, swimming, basketball, field hockey, hockey and gymnasts that would starve if they were reliant on this program to ever support it.

You have kids in the middle of puberty and still growing buring in excess of 5,000 calories a day and require more than that to maintain body weight and continue to grow into healthy adults.

Meanwhile these lunches are clocking in at 300-500 calories.

Yep, student athletes may represent big cash cows to schools but we're going to feed them as we would political prisoners in a third world country because it's what's good for them.

YAY LIBERALISM!
    No doubt, my son is a light eater and skinny as a rail and he would come home starving because of that shit lunch they served. At his graduation one of the students said "and we all survived the Michelle Obama lunch plan" and all the students laughed and cheered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Hot lunch isn't what is making our children fat and unhealthy. Soda, candy and fast food are.
    Although yes, heavy sugar abuse is the largest source of obesity in the country, let's also not pretend
    that Burgers, Pizza, Cheese steaks, and other "fast food" or fry food don't also contribute a large
    portion of that percentage either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    And that sums it up. Its not the fault of the food choices, its the bratty kids who won't eat it.
    Well the fault is that fast food is marketed towards children as being more "fun" and
    "tasting better" than non-fat/etc. food is. So its no wonder the kids won't eat it.

The entire act and circuis show michelee obama did is fucking laughabke when you look at the fine dining her kids in private schools got.

Kids get rabbit food and their children got an applebees platter for school lunch.

The govenment oversteps its bounds more often than not. One of the biggest issues is the multi billion dollar industry of the DFS who legally kidnap children to drive profits

LOL the left is one of the biggest reason your country have obesity

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I would hope his plan is that it's not the government's, certainly not the federal government's, job to micromanage what children are fed. Parents, how do they work?
    Irrelevant for school lunches. School lunches should be monitored to ensure kids are getting at least one good, healthy, well balanced meal a day. What the parents choose to feed the kid at home for Breakfast and Dinner, that's on them. Likewise, if they don't like the healthy, balanced choices the schools offer, they can send them in with whatever.

bullying is the best cure for it
    yess some will fall but as always there must be some sacrifice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Although yes, heavy sugar abuse is the largest source of obesity in the country, let's also not pretend
    that Burgers, Pizza, Cheese steaks, and other "fast food" or fry food don't also contribute a large
    portion of that percentage either.

Well the fault is that fast food is marketed towards children as being more "fun" and
    "tasting better" than non-fat/etc. food is. So its no wonder the kids won't eat it.
    I agree to an extent, but I wouldn't put all the blame there. Kids not wanting to eat healthier foods dates back farther than fast food. It could add to the issue, but it certainly isn't the root cause.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I would hope his plan is that it's not the government's, certainly not the federal government's, job to micromanage what children are fed. Parents, how do they work?
    And when their health problems emerge, since they won't have health insurance, the cost of treating them will be passed along in higher health care costs for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cant actually be this stupid. Government runs schools, schools serve food, food nutritional value is... parents responsibility???? If the government is going to provide a service, they have a responsibility to make sure that service is not sub par. So while you are technically right, it's not the governments responsibility to micromanage what children are fed, it is their responsibility to ensure that if they are going to provide a menu for children it is as healthy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The plan was shit.
    Honestly from the people I talked to that worked in schools that was kinda their take on it....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    portion of that percentage either.Well the fault is that fast food is marketed towards children as being more "fun" and

When you have kids eating shit all day then it is a problem. A single meal higher in calories that kids will actually eat is a lot better than no meal at all (don't forget about food waste). Remember we are talking about lunch here, and kids have enrgery to burn that off by dinner...unless the school has vending machines...

I work in a school district and I am skeeved out by the shit they have been serving kids, so I'm not opposed to this.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

The best and healthiest restaurants are always locally owned with locally grown produce. Why should this be any different for schools? IMO this is a task for local school districts to determine and reduce the meddling of big government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obesity is a parenting issue and has nothing to do with the nutrition or taste of the food in our schools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Michelles school lunch plan was doomed to fail from the start. It provided no flexibility at all. It forced once size fits all portions that gave the same food portions to a 94lb freshman girl to a 270lb senior football linebacker. It also gave kids food they generally wouldn't eat in the first place which they either brought in extra food from home or threw away uneaten food in the garbage.

Can't compare Euros to our school system. Their rate of taxation is much higher!

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Can't compare Euros to our school system. Their rate of taxation is much higher!
    Yet we spend more money per pupil than almost every other nation.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...-most-countri/
    United States spends $12,731 per student on secondary education. Four countries -- Austria, Luxembourg, Norway and Switzerland -- spend more. Those same countries are also the only ones that spend more than the United States*per student on primary schools
    Regardless, the amount of food in the plate in the picture I posted earlier........probably cost a nickel and was most likely charged as an extra fee to the student who received it. If I take a very conservative $2.00 charge to a daily lunch meal at a school minus the $.05 cost of the actual food on the plate plus 50% markup to actually prepare that crap, the school should have made a profit of at least $1.96. In reality however, that meal probably cost the school $10.00 to make and prepare and another $.50 for garbage pickup.

Our school system sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    A single meal higher in calories that kids will actually eat is a lot better than no meal at all (don't forget about food waste).
    Oh of course. But there are "healthier" alternatives. I mean there are foods that are good for you that surprisingly have
    high calories. I mean a small box of raisins is IIRC, 100+ calories. Again, that's a small box of raisins.

I'm not saying we should abolish any fast food for kids or sugar snacks in general, but some moderation would be nice.
    Like have that crap for one day of the week rather than all 5 days. Or mix it up : You get a standard deli meat lunch
    but with a sugar snack, and a burger the next day with fruit as your "treats."

and kids have energy to burn that off by dinner...unless the school has vending machines...
    Depending on the school, that is a large possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Kids not wanting to eat healthier foods dates back farther than fast food. It could add to the issue, but it certainly isn't the root cause.
    Well yeah. Culturally speaking, good behavior has often been rewarded with sugar sweets,
    like cookies or lollipops. Children's stories also further promote the idea of candy being great,
    and eating dinner items like vegetables being bad, or the thing you have to force yourself to
    eat in order to get to the "good stuff."