Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That's entirely on you not being able to accept the idea of a threat that is the kind that if it returned you're already fucked. That kind of threat, by its very nature, cannot be shown without diminishing that threat. Most people would look at that and go "Oh yeah, the world dying and us getting destroyed is bad, we don't want that" while you're over here going "He's shit because I haven't seen him destroy the world." Kind of silly if you ask me.

I've also mentioned before - he's the big main threat but he's not the compelling villain you are supposed to be worried about.

That spot belongs to Elidibus. It has since the 2.x series of patches. This is the same antagonist that had his lackey help us prevent the Warring Triad from returning as it would disrupt his plans, which included successfully setting the Eorzean Alliance on course toward unavoidable conflict with Garlemald...and where even us saving the First shard is a win of sorts as it means they can still use that shard in a rejoining.

We're still caught in the middle of his scheming, and that is unlikely to change soon.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2017-04-14 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    That's entirely on you not being able to accept the idea of a threat that is the kind that if it returned you're already fucked. That kind of threat, by its very nature, cannot be shown without diminishing that threat. Most people would look at that and go "Oh yeah, the world dying and us getting destroyed is bad, we don't want that" while you're over here going "He's shit because I haven't seen him destroy the world." Kind of silly if you ask me.

I've also mentioned before - he's the big main threat but he's not the compelling villain you are supposed to be worried about.
    I very firmly disagree with your statement.
    That kind of threat, by its very nature, cannot be shown without diminishing that threat
    You can very easily show the danger of something and not diminish its impact. There are numerous ways this could be told and shown to players. The problem with Zodiark is that a villain that does nothing but sit inside a black void and talk and look ominous is boring. I need to see why I need to be scared of this guy. What does he do when he comes back? What are his reasons other than oh lol I want to live. Why does he want to live in a dead empty world? Villains need compelling reasons for their existence and their decisions and they need personality. I get none of that from Zodiark. Look at all the best video game villains. They all have reasons for doing what they do that's greater than just "I want to live to destroy".

Even if we talk about Elidibus, he's barely more compelling. BY all means if you can find a way to defend them in the context of them being good villains go for it. Maybe I missed something you know? I just don't see it.

Now it is very possible that they could see their development in SB. If that's the case then that's fine (assuming the development is good), but then i'd argue that they may have showed him too soon because as they say, first impressions do matter.

Considering Zodiark seems to be their Thanos, I think it makes sense that it's a slow build. We're learning as we go. Will be a while before he's shown as an emodied threat and likely a while before he's a villain to be directly contended with.

If you think about it, the Ascians and Zodiark to this point are still more shadowed villains. We're busy with other stuff primarily and we still don't know much about them. I feel that's partially intentional.

I mean, look at 2.0 to 3.0 when we went from "The Ascians are pure evil" to "The Ascians are necessary because without them the entire world gets destroyed by light"

Have to see how Hydaelyn and Zodiark will be balanced since that's kind of the requirement that's been presented.

Catching up on today's Live Letter announcements:

- Sprint will no longer cost TP in PVE
    - Ground mounts will have 2 more tiers of movement speed; current speed is slowest, next tier unlocks from MSQ (if you are done with 3.0, you have it for both ARR and HW areas). The third speed is obtained via "a certain something"...so waiting to see on that
    - AF3 gear will be obtained via level 70 job quest
    - Skill cooldown when changing job in non-sanctuary areas is going away

SB benchmark is up: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

The sprint change is great - casters had an advantage due to being able to use it without any consequences whereas anybody who made use of TP would be screwed over unless they could count on a decent chunk of regen and downtime to recover during a phase shift.

Also, calling it now - with the mount speed increase the FF7 motorcycle teased a while back will make it into the game somehow. The reason cited for not adding it, after all, was due to concerns that it would look silly riding at a low speed.

Something from the benchmark trailer is a monk change I saw, the new skill either instantly gives GL 3 or makes Tornado Kick not spend it, either way I feel like it's exactly what they need to counter one of the biggest issues with the class (Ramp up time, and an ability that resets the ramp up time)

That sadly puts Chakra in an awkward spot though, because if TK can see more use, it leaves forbidden chakra as the odd man out of a skill that it's not practical to use unless there's a long phase change

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The sprint change is great - casters had an advantage due to being able to use it without any consequences whereas anybody who made use of TP would be screwed over unless they could count on a decent chunk of regen and downtime to recover during a phase shift.

Also, calling it now - with the mount speed increase the FF7 motorcycle teased a while back will make it into the game somehow. The reason cited for not adding it, after all, was due to concerns that it would look silly riding at a low speed.
    It never made sense to me that the jobs you would equate to having had the most physical training, tanks and melee dps, would be the ones who couldn't use sprint without it gassing them...meanwhile the bookworms and other casters can happily sprint around and not give two shits about their TP.

I'm also looking forward to a possible motorcycle mount...especially if the wheels on it turn parallel to the ground and become rocket propulsion so that it can fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Something from the benchmark trailer is a monk change I saw, the new skill either instantly gives GL 3 or makes Tornado Kick not spend it, either way I feel like it's exactly what they need to counter one of the biggest issues with the class (Ramp up time, and an ability that resets the ramp up time)

That sadly puts Chakra in an awkward spot though, because if TK can see more use, it leaves forbidden chakra as the odd man out of a skill that it's not practical to use unless there's a long phase change
    Maybe, just maybe, that's what Perfect Balance becomes in 4.0, where you just go super saiyan and gain 3 stacks of GL...hopefully not on a 3 min cd (1.5-2 mins would be good, imo).

Only other change I would like to see would be to have one of the Fists (not Fire) allow you to basically ignore positional requirements...for the purpose of soloing mobs, mainly, although I don't ever see this becoming a thing since it would allow people to be lazy shits. Would have to buff Fists of Fire to 10% or more just to make it obvious you're supposed to do positionals whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It never made sense to me that the jobs you would equate to having had the most physical training, tanks and melee dps, would be the ones who couldn't use sprint without it gassing them...meanwhile the bookworms and other casters can happily sprint around and not give two shits about their TP.
    I just hope that they don't start balancing fights around Sprint. The one advantage of tanks and melee dps being unable to use Sprint, is that you didn't have to use Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I just hope that they don't start balancing fights around Sprint. The one advantage of tanks and melee dps being unable to use Sprint, is that you didn't have to use Sprint.
    I'm afraid they very well may go that route, but like you, I hope they don't. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they set it to where sprint couldn't be used in combat...but we'll see.

Am I seeing this correctly? The new expansion will have only 4 new zones? Excluding the new city. If that is so, that is rather disappointing. Also, they're showcasing swimming as one of the main new features of the expansion... Does that mean we'll possibly see underwater content? How much water do we know of in the new areas, if at all? I just wonder about these questions

There's going to be underwater gathering, one of the beast tribes is underwater and some sight seeing log achievement(s). They said there won't be underwater combat, but that doesn't mean there isn't a dungeon or something we get to via swimming.

As for there only being 4 zone? If you're getting that idea from na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/ then you should look back at http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/

No I think there will be 4 regions, each with 2+ zones. Look at Heavensward. It has Coerthas, Abalathia's Spine and Dravania - 3 regions. But 6 new zones at launch:
    Western Coerthas Highlands, Sea of Clouds, Churning Mists, Dravanian Forelands, Dravanian Hinterlands and Azys Lla.

Just like you shouldn't get overhyped for something, you shouldn't get yourself underhyped either. Wait and see is always best.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-05-02 at 07:33 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Am I seeing this correctly? The new expansion will have only 4 new zones? Excluding the new city. If that is so, that is rather disappointing. Also, they're showcasing swimming as one of the main new features of the expansion... Does that mean we'll possibly see underwater content? How much water do we know of in the new areas, if at all? I just wonder about these questions
    There will be as much territory to cover in Stormblood landmass-wise as there was in Heavensward. Such has been stated a few times throughout various live letters and/or fanfests over the past few months. Ala Mhigo and Othard are 2 regions, each with multiple zones.

There will be as much territory to cover in Stormblood landmass-wise as there was in Heavensward. Such has been stated a few times throughout various live letters and/or fanfests over the past few months. Ala Mhigo and Othard are 2 regions, each with multiple zones.
    Heavensward wasn't as big as they made it out to be and not as big as I hoped/anticipated. The zones still felt small unfortunately. Not as much on rails as the vanilla zones. I hope they're decent sized this round. I'm on the fence about pre-ordering the expansion but can't make up my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Heavensward wasn't as big as they made it out to be and not as big as I hoped/anticipated. The zones still felt small unfortunately. Not as much on rails as the vanilla zones. I hope they're decent sized this round. I'm on the fence about pre-ordering the expansion but can't make up my mind
    a lot of HW zones suffered from the typical mmo "first expansion with flying" zone design which means lack of those memorable walkways since they arent meant to last. Walking through the autumnal woods of north shroud is still one of my favourite locations in the game and i hope from what we have seen the inland areas are more like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if I can use my cavalry elbst underwater or how bieing underwater is going to function in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    I wonder if I can use my cavalry elbst underwater or how bieing underwater is going to function in general.
    The player ones are described as 'having their fins clipped to stop swimming' so i wouldnt expect it which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    Only flying mounts can swim. (so I'm pretty sure the controls will be the same)

So the teasing continues...

Esuna being a cross class would come as little to no surprise...it's never made sense to me that SCH, one of the three healing jobs, can't dispel bad stuff off of people until level 40(!), while WHM and AST can do so as of level 18. Can only assume, were that to take effect, that SMN would not have esuna.

Cleric Stance, on the other hand...perhaps it does get removed and healer damage is based off MND. While that smacks of "dumbing down", on one hand, is CS a button that's absolutely a necessity being that they could have healer damage affected by a different stat (MND)? Yeah, this was a bit of a contentious thing in the megathread, but it looks like something's gonna change with CS in Stormblood.

Course, they could be just trolling everyone, only to reveal that Esuna and CS are still in the game and nothing changed, but I doubt they name those two abilities without them being changed to some degree.

So the teasing continues...

Esuna being a cross class would come as little to no surprise...it's never made sense to me that SCH, one of the three healing jobs, can't dispel bad stuff off of people until level 40(!), while WHM and AST can do so as of level 18. Can only assume, were that to take effect, that SMN would not have esuna.

Cleric Stance, on the other hand...perhaps it does get removed and healer damage is based off MND. While that smacks of "dumbing down", on one hand, is CS a button that's absolutely a necessity being that they could have healer damage affected by a different stat (MND)? Yeah, this was a bit of a contentious thing in the megathread, but it looks like something's gonna change with CS in Stormblood.

Course, they could be just trolling everyone, only to reveal that Esuna and CS are still in the game and nothing changed, but I doubt they name those two abilities without them being changed to some degree.
    On one hand, if they say CS is actually getting changed I win *(unless by some act of god they make it worse).

On the other hand if they actually read the megathread and saw my discussion and said, nah we disagree and it stays the same I go down as a legend who stood against the gods with a few brave souls, but lost. A compelling story wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    On one hand, if they say CS is actually getting changed I win *(unless by some act of god they make it worse).

On the other hand if they actually read the megathread and saw my discussion and said, nah we disagree and it stays the same I go down as a legend who stood against the gods with a few brave souls, but lost. A compelling story wouldn't you say?
    We'll know one way or the other in a few weeks.

My initial guess was that they would simply add accuracy to CS, similar to how tank stances have increased accuracy. It would be the lazy way to allow healers to meld something not called accuracy in the event they want to contribute to dps in a savage raid.