Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Cato believes it bad, although they are also a bit biased.

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.o...nimum_wage.pdf
    Cato is more than a bit biased. They are incredible biased. They are bought and sold by the koch brothers.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    I have no interest in handing out free cash for bums who refuse to work and feels entitled to a "living wage".
    What about those who do work and feel entitled to a living wage, You know that thing that ALL JOBS should provide as a base level.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    If it would just keep pace with inflation we'd be in a much better place.

there should be no minimum wage. its not needed. if there is one it needs to be to prevent slave wages. $10/hr MAX. Again though, id prefer no min.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What about those who do work and feel entitled to a living wage, You know that thing that ALL JOBS should provide as a base level.
    they need to get off their lazy asses and get better jobs instead of thinking they can flip cheeseburgers forever.

$7.25 is god awful in a country where everything from tuition to healthcare to maternity leave to child care are all paid out of pocket instead of being socialized through taxes like in Denmark or Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think minimum wage has no place in a true capitalist society, we still need other safeguards in place to prevent employers from abusing employees by severely underpaying them. BUT such a system would take years to plan, develop, implement, and perfect. As a minimum wage employee myself, I would suggest about $16. Maybe a little less

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    they need to get off their lazy asses and get better jobs instead of thinking they can flip cheeseburgers forever.
    Ya cause everybody can be CEO's,Doctors and so on right, Since those jobs are in infinite demand.....Oh wait there not.

You like going to the store and grabbing shit off the shelf to buy right? Well that takes a person to put there and they do it thought out the whole store.

Even the most "Small" jobs are needed and should provide a livable wage.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Ya cause everybody can be CEO's,Doctors and so on right, Since those jobs are in infinite demand.....Oh wait there not.

You like going to the store and grabbing shit off the shelf to buy right? Well that takes a person to put there and they do it thought out the whole store.

nope.

/10charlimit

10+ Year Old Account

no one should be paid anything ever

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    nope.

/10charlimit
    Well at lease now we know what you are doing, So I can just report and move on.

Thanks for showing that replying to you is pointless.

And here's the rub. Define livable wage. What is a livable wage for a 16 year old kid starting out at is first job is completely different from a single mother of 3.

Also, people today think that luxury items should be included in a livable wage. Cell phone, internet, cable. You don't need those things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is, if someone isnt being paid a simple living wage, then the minimum is not high enough.

Minimum wage should be enough to afford housing, food, and basic health and entertainment needs. Otherwise the economy will struggle from simple lack of spending.
    Entertainment needs? No, not so much. Sounds callous but there are a ton of things to do that are free or next to free.
    In my day we didn't have World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. We had World War 2, and when you shot at the Germans it aggroed five thousand of their friends!

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    And here's the rub. Define livable wage. What is a livable wage for a 16 year old kid starting out at is first job is completely different from a single mother of 3.

Also, people today think that luxury items should be included in a livable wage. Cell phone, internet, cable. You don't need those things.
    Ok in order....

1) A Livable wage is a wage that one person can live on and get the basic needs (Food,Travel,Home) without government assistance.. Even be able to set aside a small amount for entertainment. That is a livable wage and can be provided if jobs started to pay correct. Age is not a factor and as for single mothers. There is systems in place to help those people(SAP,Wic ect...)

2) This is 2017 if you don't think Internet/Cell Phone is needed then you clearly haven't job hunted in the past 10 years. Both are required and thankfully you can cover both at the same time via a cheap smartphone if you have to. Nether is Luxury items even more so if you are working some shit end job where your boss wants to call you in anytime they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I'd like you libertarians explain how the government's going to pay for the services it provides to the people without taxation (or, as you'd put it, "theft.")
    easy answer: They don't, private organizations/people do

Long answer: read above, but drag out every word.

2) This is 2017 if you don't think Internet/Cell Phone is needed then you clearly haven't job hunted in the past 10 years. Both are required and thankfully you can cover both at the same time via a cheap smartphone if you have to. Nether is Luxury items even more so if you are working some shit end job where your boss wants to call you in anytime they can.
    And there are extremely cheap talk and data plans on pay as you go services.
    In my day we didn't have World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. We had World War 2, and when you shot at the Germans it aggroed five thousand of their friends!

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!!"

And there are extremely cheap talk and data plans on pay as you go services.
    Ummm no shit, I just pointed that out.

All you did was take what I said and put it into one sentence. You completely ignored what I said and didn't even try to refute it.

entertainment costs not needed
    wonder what would happen if millions of people stopped spending money on anything but basic bills?

livable wage
    I agree with what some others posted. It doesn't matter what the job is. At a bare minimum, every single job should pay enough for a person to fully support themselves without needing welfare or charity. This means housing, utilities, food, health care etc... Even if the job is scrubbing toilets and mopping up vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I'd like you libertarians explain how the government's going to pay for the services it provides to the people without taxation (or, as you'd put it, "theft.")
    It could stop providing those services. The only things people should be taxed for are infrastructure, education, and emergency healthcare. Everything else should be optional, if you want the benefits of social assistance sometime, you opt into paying the premium on your tax, etc. If you don't opt in, don't pay, but need it you're SOL. I'd suck a dick to get my taxes reduced from like 45% to 15%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, these costs are small. You can get basic internet for about $25/mo. You can get basic phone service for about the same, I'd say $50 or less can get you montly service comparable to a 2-year contract (the phone will just be shittier).

So really, if a "livable wage" can't include $75-100 for "extras" it's not livable, and this is, at $10/hr, one day of work.

A livable wage should not be something that you are so desperate to get by on every month you risk losing your home over a $100.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    ... How many mechanics or EMT's do you know personally that would rather be flipping frozen patties on a fryer and mopping floors? even in your bizarre world where EMT's and mechanics make the same money with the same career prospects... get real.
    The bottom line for most people is money. We all need to have a job to make money, so we all usually follow a job path that we enjoy so it is not arduous to perform everyday. However, if the pay increase is significant, then people start to go away from what they like in favor of making more money.

Especially when you consider that both require some kind of training (I.E. a certificate from college) in order to even be able to apply for said job. Yeah, why would anyone want to spend time and money going to school to make less money than a person who would literally just need to fill out an application.

Maybe some would keep their jobs, but it would be hard to recruit for those jobs unless the pay adjusted as well. Therefore everyone's job would have to pay them more. Ergo, making the cost of goods and services higher than what they are now.

Idk why people think that those of us against raising the minimum wage so drastically are basically saying "no, you deserve to make a crappy wage!" No. What we are saying is that you aren't looking at the big picture.

So how about you get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    If you say so. Sorry, if I am not that kind of a "forward thinker".

There's an old saying--
    "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

I am in favor of helping people become financially independent rather than giving out free hand outs.

The charity work I do goes towards Disabled VA and cancer research -- I have no interest in handing out free cash for bums who refuse to work and feels entitled to a "living wage".
    this is a thread about the minimum wage, you're talking about basic income. in the UBI model people are not, not working because there are literally not enough jobs for the population because of automation and digitization has made the jobs non-existent. So you can rant and go on about how you had to walk up hill both ways to school and it means jack shit if even the service jobs are computerized and automatized, so that there are no "jobs to grind your teeth on" in the first place for people to pay their way though school.

General statement for all:
    Please stop projecting your small town, Leave-it-to-Beaver fantasy upbringing onto modern society. IT'S NOT LIKE THAT ANYMORE and it will not be like that for the foreseeable future. Beaver's dad can't go work at the factory and work his way in to a management position with hard work and dedication because the only factories still open in America are ones you need specialized education/training for.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-05-04 at 04:39 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.