Are there any traditional style cable boxes that run modern apps (like sling tv)?

What im looking for is not a roku/amazon fire/smart tv experience, what im looking for is traditional cable box style interface that you can have apps installed to. Anything like this exist yet?

If not, why hasnt anyone and why am i not doing it to get rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What im looking for is not a roku/amazon fire/smart tv experience, what im looking for is traditional cable box style interface that you can have apps installed to. Anything like this exist yet?

If not, why hasnt anyone and why am i not doing it to get rich?
    Well, that's basically what a Roku Box is. No Cable Company would want you to be able to run Hulu and Netflix and similr apps from their cable box, that would defeat the purpose of having a cable box in the first place.

Nah man you arent getting what im looking for.

Im thinking about older folks who are used to the cable tv experience they have from their box. The reason sling tv hasn't taken off tremendously is because older folks would get too confused about how to use it or browse the shows.

I dont know if you have experience with cable boxes but they are impeccably simple to use, and almost every single one i have seen (no matter from what provider) is just lines and lines of tv shows where you scroll up and down and press ok when you want to watch them. Yes i know roku is semi similar, but trust me its not the same for these folks lol.

Somone really needs to start making these, especially with the introduction of hulu now or the existing sling tv (or upcoming youtube tv). Again im talking specifically for the older crowd here, roku's etc are more than sufficient for millennials. These boxes would also of course have an over the air tuner for people in range of the TV stations.

I am trying to lower the monthly bills for my mother, she pays like 150 bucks or some crazy number for TV and internet. If she had sling and just internet that would be like 50 bucks total, but i know she wouldnt be cool with a roku.

You do realize those lines and lines of tv show are there because that's what's playing on the channel right now, and with a massive library of shows/movies you can't just limit it to a couple hundred listings that you can skim through 10 at a time until you find what you want. It's not like people are ignorant of the simplistic interface that older people use, it's that the interface won't feasibly be functional when you add in thousands and thousands and thousands of lines and that's just for one bigger medium like Hulu/Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Xfinity has Netflix integration. It's happening slowly, but since many newer TVs already have this functionality, and cable companies make no money from most of those apps, there's little incentive to integrate such things. Hell, most of those other apps are used as replacements for the traditional cable experience.
    Well im not looking for one from the cable companies, like i said im looking for one that mimics that kind of interface but is aftermarket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by niil945 View Post
    You do realize those lines and lines of tv show are there because that's what's playing on the channel right now, and with a massive library of shows/movies you can't just limit it to a couple hundred listings that you can skim through 10 at a time until you find what you want. It's not like people are ignorant of the simplistic interface that older people use, it's that the interface won't feasibly be functional when you add in thousands and thousands and thousands of lines and that's just for one bigger medium like Hulu/Netflix.
    And you realize sling tv show are playing now RIGHT?

Trust me i know people, if these things existed sling tv and other services like that would take off like rocket ships.

Let me explain if you dont get what im saying. Hulu live JUST released today. It is hulu which we all know what that is, combined with live TV for 40 bucks a month. Now imagine that in a traditional cable box, it would be all the live tv just as you know it now, and the hulu library of streaming shows would simply be under "on demand" as every cable box does now for when you want to rent something.

Perfect integration for people wanting to make the switch, all their shows are there just as they were and they now have a "bonus" of all the on demand stuff being free (this is where netflix, hulu, amazon prime etc would all be located).

I know this would sell like hotcakes as i would be interested in that as well (im 35). I dont have a problem with cable boxes they work great, what i have a problem with is the pricing providers charge for the channels. This solves everything, and i am surprised this does not exist yet.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-04 at 12:06 AM.

I use Sling, and Sling will give you what you want. Sling's UI is very much like a cable box UI (except better in most cases).

What you're running to GET to Sling's UI is largely irrelevant.

My Grandfather has DirectTV NOW (their version of Sling, basically, he gets it nearly free as a Ma Bell/AT&T retiree) and their UI is very similar to a cable box (with some better sorting options).

The UI of the box you're using isnt really relevant. All you're using it for is to choose the App you're going to use.

For cleanest UI, i'd have to say the higher-end Roku experience (their 4k-capable boxes) have a pretty slick UI, but Apple's is still probably the most user friendly (if limited - there are some apps that dont exist on that ecosystem because of competition, like Amazon) because of the "TV" app that searches all of your connected services (as long as they support it - i think Netflix finally did) at once.

We use the Apple TV (4th Gen) in the Living room, and a Roku Streaming Stick in the bedroom, and my basement tenant uses the 4k Roku box (whatever the newest one is) and likes it quite a bit.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-05-04 at 02:10 AM.

Well that isnt what i am saying either.

I know sling is the best value, but what needs to happen for these services to take off is completely separate live TV from apps like i suggested above (all streaming stuff goes into the on demand button), with the live tv part exactly the same as cable boxes are now.

Someone is going to make something like this and its going to be a runaway hit, wish i knew who to contact to pursue this myself actually lol.

$150 is crazy for cable and internet?

We pay $170 a month at my house. $99.99 for like all the channels, HBO, Showtime + 75/75 internet + phone. Rest is renting four cable boxes + 1 modem/router + taxes and other bullshit fees. That's NY.

In Florida, grandparents have like 5/5 or some shit internet, 1000 channels or w/e, 1 cable box and 2...err..."adapters" (not cable boxes but they get the basic first 70 channels), and phone. That for $120 total.

I don't think your mom is paying a lot, comparatively.

Well it is high once you consider most people dont watch the majority of the channels you are paying for, these new services like sling/hulu live/youtube tv aim to combat that.

Like i said i could drop her bill by 100 dollars a month if i found a suitable box, i just know she wouldnt be happy with a roku or amazon fire. The services are there, the hardware isnt.

I know sling is the best value, but what needs to happen for these services to take off is completely separate live TV from apps like i suggested above (all streaming stuff goes into the on demand button), with the live tv part exactly the same as cable boxes are now.

Someone is going to make something like this and its going to be a runaway hit, wish i knew who to contact to pursue this myself actually lol.
    Thats essentially what Sling is.

It's live TV. With a cable box like interface.

There's a completely separate part of Sling's interface for on-demand.

If what you're looking for is, say, one system where the channels you get from Sling, and channels you get from DirectTV Now, and your local broadcast TV (something you CAN do with ATV and Roku if you have a standalone HDTV antenna) are in one interface/app...

forget it.

It will not ever happen.

The designer/owner/distributor of that app would have to pay fees to all of those services, and that is IF the contracts those services have with the TV channels they broadcast would even allow it.

It's an absolute mess of rights-holding nonsense. Sling, for instance, has a (very) few shows on networks that they carry that they cant show... because the contract the network (Bravo) has with the rights holder of the show DOES NOT cover being re-broadcast through another service, and Sling cant afford to separately lisence that show... so when it comes on, the screen goes dark and you get a "can't stream this content because of legal reasons" (worded more nicely) box.

Hell, to even get Apple's "TV" app (which comes awfully close to what you're talking about, aggregating all of your services into one UI, as long as they have the API hooks for the TV app to link to them) was a nightmare to get off the ground, according to Apple, because of that (and that is why some services dont allow the TV API hooks to work, because they cant get approval from rights holders - in some cases, rights holders five or six steps removed).

No dont mean that either lol.

Envision a cable box as they stand now, only difference is when you press "on demand" that is where you find the services (apps) you subscribe to (netflix, hulu whatever). You could call the on demand button whatever, but i would suggest whoever makes this box leave it at that as every cable operator uses that term when someone wants to rent a movie that isnt on live tv. Also when you get into the on-demand menu it isnt app tiles but a list of everything that netflix/amazon has to offer, sortable and searchable together. This would take some work but i know its possible as voice search works like this on many platforms and smart TV's now.

The sling part would just take place of the actual cable channels (insert live tv service of your choice here as well, hulu/youtube etc), there are no cable providers here whatsoever this box is just a way to bring together cord cutter services in a concise way that anyone that is used to cable TV could get on board with, smooth transition.

People are willing to pay large up front fees if they can get rid of monthly ones, this box could be 200 dollars+ and it would sell like no ones business. People like the cable box experience, they dont like the high monthly fees.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-04 at 04:14 AM.

No dont mean that either lol.

Envision a cable box as they stand now, only difference is when you press "on demand" that is where you find the services (apps) you subscribe to (netflix, hulu whatever). You could call the on demand button whatever, but i would suggest whoever makes this box leave it at that as every cable operator uses that term when someone wants to rent a movie that isnt on live tv. Also when you get into the on-demand menu it isnt app tiles but a list of everything that netflix/amazon has to offer, sortable and searchable together. This would take some work but i know its possible as voice search works like this on many platforms and smart TV's now.
    Apple's "TV" app for Apple TV 4.0 already does this, where it is legal. All of your services (Hulu, Sling, Direct TV NOW, Netflix, whatever) are right there in that one app, one UI.

I got what you're saying - and im telling you, the rights issues prevent it. Its why it took Netflix 10+ months to get their service working with the "TV" app (if it even does - ill have to check, they were unsure if they would EVER be able to let it work because of the rights issues).

The sling part would just take place of the actual cable channels (insert live tv service of your choice here as well, hulu/youtube etc), there are no cable providers here whatsoever this box is just a way to bring together cord cutter services in a concise way that anyone that is used to cable TV could get on board with, smooth transition.

People are willing to pay large up front fees if they can get rid of monthly ones, this box could be 200 dollars+ and it would sell like no ones business. People like the cable box experience, they dont like the high monthly fees.
    Like i said, i completely understand what you're saying.

What you're not understanding is that any service lke what you're describing is considered re-broadcasting/re-streaming, and is a NIGHTMARE to work out legally.

Apple's "TV" App on Apple TV 4(+) is as close as it gets, and not all services will work with it precisely because of rights holders and the issues getting them all on board.

Edit:

Nope, Netflix STILL does not work with the TV app, because of rights holders' issues. Or platform issues. Amazon isn't releasing apps for a lot of platforms (Apple TV, and rumors that they aren't going to support Roku much longer) because they want people to buy Amazon devices.

Copyright/ownership/rights is what is preventing what you want, not technology, otherwise, basically, Apple already did it. That's exactly what the TV app does (for those services that are legally compatible with it).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-05-04 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    TiVo does this, your cable company can install them or you can install them yourself with online tutorials. If you don't have a cable subscription you can still use smart tv stuff, but it's a really expensive way to do it.

No re-streaming going on anywhere here my dude.

I think you are caught up on the "cable box" part of the title. Its not a cable box per-se, its a cord cutter box that mimics a cable boxes interface/functions.

Oh to be clear i fully understand that you couldnt expect every one of the big players to join, that is happening still to this day. The main thing i am looking for in a box like this is a cable box experience, if amazon wasnt on there i wouldnt care. (they are usually the dbags who hold out to sell their own stuff, like you pointed out).

And while ive never used an apple tv, i am sure it does not function like i am describing. Simplicity is key (i mean REALLY simple). You turn it on and you are greeted with the channel listing just as cable boxes do now. If you want to access any of the services you subscribe too they are on a conglomerated listing with the on demand button. If the apple tv has this that is cool, but the apple tv definitely does not go to a live channel listing when you turn it on, that is key here.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    TiVo does this, your cable company can install them or you can install them yourself with online tutorials. If you don't have a cable subscription you can still use smart tv stuff, but it's a really expensive way to do it.
    Ya i worded the title poorly it seems lol. Not looking for a cable box exactly, but a cord cutter box that mimics a cable box.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-04 at 04:59 AM.

So it's regular cable, but let's you search the content of apps using an on demand feature on the cable box?

Cable companies won't go for that. They'd rather sell you their pay per views or movie channels than easily let you go to competition. How likely is it that someone paying for cable also pays for hulu and Netflix?

What you need is a Roku box with a control that says Sling. Then all she needs to do is press the sling button and then she gets the Sling UI which is pretty similar to cable ones. You can save her favorite shows up front. She doesn't need to look at any other streaming systems. Use a control like the one in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express/...u+remote+sling

Later, you can install Hulu and Netflix as she gets accustomed to the control. Also with buttons so it's easy to use.

Again guys, cable companies have nothing to do with this lol. You are subscribed to your streaming services like netflix, and your live TV comes from sling tv or hulu live/youtube tv.

This is a piece of hardware im looking for, the only thing you are getting from cable company is internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    What you need is a Roku box with a control that says Sling. Then all she needs to do is press the sling button and then she gets the Sling UI which is pretty similar to cable ones. You can save her favorite shows up front. She doesn't need to look at any other streaming systems. Use a control like the one in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express/...u+remote+sling

Later, you can install Hulu and Netflix as she gets accustomed to the control. Also with buttons so it's easy to use.
    Ive seen that before and im sure she could get used to that, but im more just brainstorming now in this thread and wondering why what i describe does not exist. The biggest reason people have not moved to cord cutter services (or have tried and went back to cable) is they miss the always working, always simple cable box experience they have known for years. Imagine this box that is the cable box we all know, the only difference is the channels you have are now a lot cheaper and the on demand button has free movies on it (well whatever netflix costs etc)

I know that sounds like a roku, but trust me it really isnt. There are little things this box would have, like a channel display on the actual box, its little things like that that would put this box head and shoulders above a roku/fire tv etc.

The cable box is a good experience people are happy with, you need to match that experience with lower monthly costs to get people to leave the cable companies en masse.

Another problem with current boxes is what if you want to switch from sling to youtube tv etc? You cant change the buttons on the remote, that is why i say you make the live tv part of this thing the main feature, its just what it defaults to when you turn it on. The remote wouldnt have app buttons, "on demand" would just be one place with all the conglomerated content you are subscribed to appears (apparently apple does this already, does not surprise me they got some smart people over there). We dont care where the show comes from (at least i dont) and choosing app to app is just another step that does not need to exist.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-04 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It simply can't happen due to all the DRM. The only way this would happen is if someone cracked the DRM for all of those services. Soon as they released a box that did that they would be sued into oblivion.

I think you may not give old people enough credit. My dad is almost 70 and he only watches tv from browsers, and he knows how to use a roku player, Apple TV, smart tv apps, etc uses stuff like crackle and other free services. Hell you have all those apps on the consoles now as well; so that's an option. What isn't an option is to combine all the streaming services into a single app. You aren't going to ever load an app that searches and accesses amazon prime video, youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and any other service you come up with as these are competitors and have no need or reason to be cooperative with any developer that wants to use their licensed content, that they pay for rights to redistribute to the end user. Netflix and Hulu would prefer you only having their service, you can't even buy an Apple TV on amazon because it is considered a competitor to the firetv thing.

It isn't hard to switch from app to app, I do it on my smart tvs; between YouTube and Netflix. My 4 year old can do it easily and not complain. My 77 year old dad can do it; you and your mom can too.

Cable boxes are terrible experiences. They are outdated and have shitty components. The menus are ugly, they are slow, and have to navigate a ton to get where you want, compared to the apps on a roku/smart tv/etc; or just use a pc, to can get a remote and set one up as a media center and it be faster as well than any other option. You act like people aren't leaving cable, they are. They are either using their pcs, smart tv apps, or rokus/etc. the only ones who haven't don't find 200/mo much of a cost; or want specific things and don't understand or found any alternatives if they did consider it.

The last thing I, or anyone I know, is to deal with the cable box experience ever again, I prefer the xb1 guide over the last few boxes I messed with. They are just shit, no ty.