Poll: When did you start playing WoW?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Started in late TBC but I'm always taking breaks.

Least played expansion is MoP by far, a couple weeks at launch and about a month during Timeless.

The game felt good to play when it was still new. The story was easy to follow, classes weren't too pruned or complicated, individual server communities had their share of well known players that stood out from the bunch, etc. The sad part is, I didn't know about WoW or even Blizzard's existance back in 2004, I was a console gamer back then. After a informative advertisement on Tech TV back in the day, I made it in time for The Burning Crusade.

I have played since TBC but what's funny is that I haven't taken any breaks... I don't have Legion yet. But no surprise there because I'm 15.

This website isn't a good site to hold this poll. It's full of butthurt vanilla/TBC/WoTLK players that quit WoW months to years ago.

Last closed beta for vanilla here (open beta as well.) Did'nt get the live game till dec '04.

Back in Vanilla. I accidentally bought Warcraft 3 instead, had to go back and exchange it when I realized my mistake lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend tried to get me playing back when it first came out but I called it stupid and waste of time. Fast forward to the start of Wotlk and yup still playing the same 'stupid waste of time' game. Dammit

I started playing in the "What's an expansion" era of WoW.

Also OP, your premise that judging if WoW is dying based on the number of accounts being created is almost reasonable.

The truer judge would be the net gain or loss of accounts - including existing ones.

That can't be gained from a MMO-C poll though, as you won't get a statistically significant response (not enough replies), not a statistically valid response (takes a long time from starting WoW before people become aware of places like MMO-C).
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-05-04 at 03:34 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need another poll for "When did you quit WoW?".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Holy shit you got to level 60 in a month?

It took me almost a year... lol
    I loved questing and was unemployed at the time, so 16-20 hour days was a real thing back then.

Been playing since Vanilla, have my constant 10 year subscriber model.

Quote Originally Posted by God Among Men View Post
    I loved questing and was unemployed at the time, so 16-20 hour days was a real thing back then.
    Yeah I can see that, I think it took me like 20 days played time to get to level 60. (though I could be off it was 10 years ago)

Also I was a very innocent noob

10+ Year Old Account
    I started on EU release, wich was 11th February 2005. I did take breaks of several weeks or even several months in each and every expansion though, even as soon as a few weeks into Vanilla. However, I still like the game and I love the lore and world of the Warcraft universe. I am currently in the stage where I basically only come on to raid and to mythic+ and maybe do a few daily once a week and that's it. So, unless something drastically changes, I will probably unsub for a few months soon, but as said, I have done that since Vanilla, so it's nothing new. And I will be back for the next expansion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerothian View Post
    To be honest threads like this are somewhat pointless, most people are either going to lie about when they started playing by marking earlier, or aren't ever going to see the poll. Most new players (starting in Legion or WoD for example) aren't going to be heavily invested in the community and so they likely won't frequent sites like this.

My money is on Vanilla being the most popular answer for the first reason I listed.
    Well said.

OT: I started in TBC. Uninstalled the game after the first few hours due to being bored. Came back a couple of months later, and fell in love with it. Quit after Cata, and came back for Legion.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Deleted
    Started in TBC which is actually my least favourite expansion and I would have probably quit back then if not for the announcement of WOTLK.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Yeah I can see that, I think it took me like 20 days played time to get to level 60. (though I could be off it was 10 years ago)

Also I was a very innocent noob
    I took the noob thing to a whole new level when I started playing. I was a night elf hunter in both cloth and leather using a grey (quality) bow and randomly killing things in Westfall. Thank god another Night Elf Hunter (lvl 60) happened along and took me under her wing. Told me about addons and what to look for in gear. Somehow, I'd made it to level 16 and had no clue what I was doing. And, I will confess, the sounds of murlocs coming at me scared the shit out of me. 1 on 1, maybe. 2 or more and I was hosed. Now heirlooms make that sound obsolete. Kinda sad really. I miss feeling like I was in danger if I stepped off the road. Now I know I am just over geared for any occasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started about half a year into vanilla.Didn't really start sinking time into the game until Legion dropped. No lifer in wotlk and on and off since.

Started eu beta