Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Watching Superheroes Decoded on History Channel right now and they've spent the last half hour talking about the insertion of the Civil Rights Movement into Marvel at the time ... straight from Stan Lee's mouth

eta: So I went ahead and bought volume 1 of Steve Rogers Despite the fact that I wanted to start with something that came out this month you've all convinced me I should get caught up on Hydra Cap before I start in on Secret Empire.
    That Superheroes Decoded thing was...kinda hit or miss. Like, they talk about the violent, cynical, and darker tone of comics in the 90's but they don't mention a single word about Image debuting? That was pretty much their whole thing, you had a bunch of really popular artists doing their own creations, free from the restrictions imposed by Marvel and DC, which allowed for grimmer, more violent work. You had books like the WildCATS, Spawn, Witchblade, Gen13...some of these were BIG books at the time, and their success was (for better or for worse) hugely responsible FOR that darker, violent, cynical tone so prevalent in the 90's. Instead they mention Deadpool, as if he played a big role in that? I mean, Deadpool was just a wisecracking villain when he debuted, his popularity didn't explode till later. He didn't even get his own series until '97(and that series was basically done as a parody of the dark, violent, cynical anti-hero that had dominated the comics scene through the 90's, it certainly wasn't instrumental in creating it), and his whole meta, 4th wall breaking schtick didn't come until even further along in that series. They also take about the X-Men being the first comic book movie that was really successful and paved the way for all the comic book movies of today, but...that's not accurate either. Blade came out 2 years earlier and was a big hit, and IT was the movie that showed studios that comic book movies CAN make real money when they're given an actual budget and are taken seriously, rather than being cheap and campy. Oh well, I admit I'm glad to see them doing a comics related show, but still, they seem to dwell a little too heavily on the Marvel side of things.

Good choice on Steve Rogers though. Finally got around to it myself, while I don't really like the concept in general, the series is really well done, and I'm willing to see it through.

minkage, one reason people may not be talking much about GotG2 here is because, well, it's not released in the US till Friday(and in some countries, it may be even further off), so many of us(or even most, I'm not sure our percentage of international posters here) simply have not been able to see it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    I have to agree on all these counts, with the exception that I never really saw Blade as a huge film though I know it did do very well and certainly helped things along. X-Men really did feel like the first "blockbuster" superhero film to break through into the mainstream to me and kick off the current superhero craze.
    Well, prior to Blade, comic book movies were seen as a big risk if you made them with a real budget...then Blade came along and made something like $150 million(I know that's not a lot by today's comic movie standards, but for 1998 that was impressive) as well as receiving positive word of mouth...that's basically what woke the studios up, and helped opened the door for X-Men to get made(it had been in development for years, but Blade becomes a hit, and suddenly, efforts pick up to get X-Men made). Then X-Men begat Spider-Man, and...so on, until we are where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Well, prior to Blade, comic book movies were seen as a big risk if you made them with a real budget...then Blade came along and made something like $150 million(I know that's not a lot by today's comic movie standards, but for 1998 that was impressive) as well as receiving positive word of mouth...that's basically what woke the studios up, and helped opened the door for X-Men to get made(it had been in development for years, but Blade becomes a hit, and suddenly, efforts pick up to get X-Men made). Then X-Men begat Spider-Man, and...so on, until we are where we are today.
    eh i wouldnt really say that.

most people dont even know blade IS a comic book movie, they just think its a vampire movie, certainly at the time even less knew that.

x-men was the first comic booky comic book movie, everyone KNEW x-men were superheroes, everyone had heard of x-men.

- - - Updated - - -

however it is worth mentioning that if/when the blade ideas get sorted out its entirely possible the blade movies could be the earliest in the timeline for the mcu
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    eh i wouldnt really say that.

most people dont even know blade IS a comic book movie, they just think its a vampire movie, certainly at the time even less knew that.

x-men was the first comic booky comic book movie, everyone KNEW x-men were superheroes, everyone had heard of x-men.

- - - Updated - - -

however it is worth mentioning that if/when the blade ideas get sorted out its entirely possible the blade movies could be the earliest in the timeline for the mcu
    He's actually right in terms of how the studios viewed cbms. They were very reluctant about the idea of spending $200m+ to produce/market them until they saw how much return Blade got on its investment and with him just being a completely unknown comic character to the point most people had no idea it even was a cbm. That movie opened a lot of eyes in Hollywood about what known characters could maybe do if properly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    He's actually right in terms of how the studios viewed cbms. They were very reluctant about the idea of spending $200m+ to produce/market them until they saw how much return Blade got on its investment and with him just being a completely unknown comic character to the point most people had no idea it even was a cbm. That movie opened a lot of eyes in Hollywood about what known characters could maybe do if properly done.
    Yep, precisely. Blade was a relatively unknown character to the public, but that Marvel logo was still displayed prominently at the start, and the STUDIOS took notice. It showed them that a "superhero" movie, if done seriously, could bring in way more money than they expected.

i do find it kind of ironic that there are exclusive shows from the same studio on two directly competing platforms (granted, netflix is more for older/backlog shows and hulu advertises itself more as a replacement for cable with latest episodes)

first set of footage

https://twitter.com/JackRicofficial/...26autosize%3D1
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yep, precisely. Blade was a relatively unknown character to the public, but that Marvel logo was still displayed prominently at the start, and the STUDIOS took notice. It showed them that a "superhero" movie, if done seriously, could bring in way more money than they expected.
    I knew Blade from the Spiderman Cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I knew Blade from the Spiderman Cartoon.
    Same here.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    If anything started the whole superhero thing, it's 1989 Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    If anything started the whole superhero thing, it's 1989 Batman.
    Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

That said, Batman Forever/& Robin really took the shine off, so it was nice of X-men and Blade to get the ball running again.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

this looks so bad

Is that Ramsey Bolton? Who is he playing? And is the big dog in it?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    He's playing Maximus. Dunno if Lockjaw will be in it or not.

^ Oh god, burn it with fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    this looks so bad

That wig. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I like Medusa's actress in Graceland but that wig could kill the whole show.

just saw this on Wikipedia

Premise[edit]
    After a military coup, the Inhuman Royal Family escape to Hawaii where they must save themselves and the world.
    now i cant unsee an Agents of Shield Hawaii 5-0 mashup show

I'm not sure if iwan Rheon can carry this hard enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Royal family has gotten around assuming Gorgon and Karnak are still related to BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    i dont think lockjaw is in it hopefully he will be in the ms marvel show whenever that gets around to coming out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    ^ Oh god, burn it with fire!
    it looks like a cheap 90s show from scifi

Everyone wants a piece of the marvel pie. They aren't gonna let quality get in thier way.

That defender show looks like hot garbage and copying the avenger formula. New ideas plox

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Everyone wants a piece of the marvel pie. They aren't gonna let quality get in thier way.

That defender show looks like hot garbage and copying the avenger formula. New ideas plox
    There only are so many formulas to use for comic related shows just as there are only so many for tv drama or sitcoms or what have you. Bringing them all together as the Defenders was the plan almost from the beginning. I'm not someone who thinks all the Netflix Marvel shows are great but no reason to dismiss this one just based off of a trailer. BvS had great trailers but was still crap.

Deleted
    I wonder how many seasons this will get before its cancelled.

Seriously, scrap all this TV shit, give all the shows to Netflix, and just be done with it.