Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 4. Haven't really planned on playing anything past 9, except for remakes and that "Brave exvius" because it takes advantage of nostalgia (Who can say no to having ExDeath in your party?), but I haven't really been a huge fan of Final Fantasy since past 9. The thing is: In my opinion, Final Fantasy trying to make a modern "serious" or "complicated" plot just falls down flat and just gets really, really bad. My favorite Final Fantasy settings are the old 'Kinda medieval fantasy but still got tech and such' with the basic plots, and also has stuff like the Black Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, you name it. Those basic plots just feels a lot more Final Fantasy to me.

5 is a close second since I really love the job system.

For me, it's easily 6 (3) for story and characters. I'll let other people debate which battle system is best for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    For me, it's easily 6 (3) for story and characters. I'll let other people debate which battle system is best for whatever reason.
    10 because I liked the whole Conditional turn based thing where stats would determine your place in the queue on top of status effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 6.

When I think of the franchise, that's the game I think of.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    9 is the best without question just because of the soundtrack. I'm excited for 12 remaster because of the new class stuff though. I'm even playing 14 as I type this.
    IX is my favourite game ever.

I had so many happy memories playing it. I hope it gets remastered like FFX HD one day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    IX is my favourite game ever.

I had so many happy memories playing it. I hope it gets remastered like FFX HD one day.
    Oh yup, yup. If it ever did get a remaster i would buy 9 copies.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably FF8, though 7 would be a close follow up to it. I started 8 first though, fell in love with the starting cutscene after watching it at a friend's place, was so excited to get my PS1 just for that game (and Breath of Fire 3 which I played at the same time). I'll recognise any tune from 8 simply because of the number of times I've played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another reason I love FF1 (well the remake I played on GBA)

Who remembers dis dank shit?

just replayed it last month and its still as good today.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Final Fantasy XII was my favorite and the one that got me into the FF series. I had tried FFX first (was recommended it), but found it to be horribly drab and dropped it after twenty hours of play. I then played FFXII and was hooked within the first ten minutes, and played it all the way through. I absolutely adore FFXII, and played the spinoff game Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for more Ivalice.

FF VII & FF VIII, I loved both, VIII was my first FF and it really left a mark. Then I played VII, and I loved the story more. But overall I prefered the gameplay and graphics of VIII.

FFVII/Tactics... First traditional/strat RPGs that I gotten into. I remember being half way through when I stumbled on Jap-import copy of Tactics for like... 30$, and I already had mod-Ps1, that I stole from a Funcoland with Tobal no.1, I needed it... also... i didnt even realize, at the time, Tobal no.1 was a Square game. I like completely transitioned from a sports game player to a RPG fanatic. I played and beat everything that was advertised as an RPG. Even crap games like Shadowhunter, Thousand Arms... Parasite Eve. Anyone remembers that mini-franchise. The memories... Grandia... Lunar Silver Star Story, and its Collectors edition packing.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Yes Newgrounds was the shit back in the day.

Also I still love the Job system that FF has not matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Genn, if you haven't read Brian Clevinger's 8bit theatre, i highly recommend it. I read it while it was current, and it was amazing.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/...e-going-where/

whoops this ended up a tad longer than I expected

Short answer: 4 because i first beat it when i was like 5, and couldn't read.

LONG ANSWER: After playing it and many other final fantasies, it has still stayed my favorite.
    While the fact is true that in the years since, we have had much better writing in RPGs, what a lot of people forget is that FF4 was one of the first RPGS to focus on character plot development. That is, it was the characters that advanced the story, not the world.

For instance, in the original Final Fantasy, What advances the plot? The crystals of the world have slowly darkened, until all 4 have gone out. while each of the four Warriors of Light have a crystal, who the warrior is is of no importance. The warriors of light are not the catalyst for progressing the story.

Final Fantasy II and III were a bit better, but even then, The world progressed the story. (evil empire killing everything, earthquake opens up the area where the wind crystal is)

But let's look at Final Fantasy IV.
    See, the KEY difference ( and ultimately, the reason why it is important) is in what Cecil did.
    After riding their awesome ships with fans that can fly while coming back from robbing a city of their crystal The Lord Commander of the Red Wings, Cecil, voices his displeasure to the King of Baron (who has secretly been killed and replaced with an evil blue magical water turtle) about the task.
    By voicing his displeasure, Cecil gets demoted and punished with a carrier task. Kain, who comes and tries to defend Cecil before the king, is sent with him. Again, because a character did something, (Kain trying to defend Cecil) he too is punished.

next they go and fight the Mist Dragon in their way on the path to mist, and make it to mist, where it turns out they were sent to bomb the village. When they hear the cries of a girl mourning the death of her mother, and find out that it was they that slayed the girl's mother, Cecil and Kain get in a verbal spar over what to do. Again, the world didn't do this, Cecil and Kain did by refusing the mist dragon's statement of turn back now.

The girl then attacks them, and in her grief summons titan to break the world. Girl, negative emotions, bad result.
    Kain goes missing. But kain wouldn't have been there if he didn't try to defend Cecil, and he wouldn't have tried to defend Cecil if Cecil didn't voice his displeasure.

Cecil finds girl, willingly carries her to inn. soldiers come at night, Cecil makes the choice to defend the girl, they become friends.
    because Cecil doesn't come back from mist, his girlfriend goes to look for him. Rosa gets sick. but if Cecil hadn't of voiced his displeasure, he wouldnt have been sent on mission to not come back from.

Cecil goes to get cure, comes to waterway. sees old man, old man says there is a terrible monster here, but with your sword and my magic we can beat it.

Old man wants to get his daughter back.

when they beat the beast, get to castle, it gets bombed! oh no, the old man's daughter shielded her lover from arrows and was fatally wounded. turns out her lover is secretly the Spoony Bard prince of the castle that just got bombed! daughter dies.
    Cecil asks what happened. Spoony bard says the new leader of the Red Wings came and bombed the place and took the fire crystal.

says the new commander is one Golbez.

old man gets ragey and leaves after vowing revenge.

im not going on after that.

In summation: Old man doesnt go off on his own if daughter doesn't die. daughter doesn't die if castle doesnt get bombed. castle doesn't get bombed if Golbez isn't lord commander of the red wings. Golbez isn't lord commander if Cecil hadn't voiced displeasure to the secretly water turtle king. If Cecil doesn't voice displeasure, he doesnt get sent on task, nor he wouldnt have been demoted. Kain doesn't have to defend him if Cecil doesn't speak up, so Kain isnt sent with him. If they arent sent on task, they wouldnt of killed Rydia's mother, then Rydia wouldnt have wrecked the world and made mountains and Kain wouldn't have disappeared. In addition, Cecil wouldn't have gone missing and Rosa wouldn't have gone out to search for him if mountains arent created. if she doesn't go searching, she doesn't get sick. if she doesn't get sick, Cecil doesn't go to waterway. Cecil doesn't meet old man. They don't kill beast, they don't see castle getting bombed. we don't see one of the greatest translations of all time because Tellah doesn't call Edward a Spoony Bard, and Tellah doesn't see Daughter die, Tellah doesn't run off, we don't see him later at Mt. Ordeals, he doesn't learn Meteor, he doesn't cast it on Golbez, he doesn't free Kain (for the first time), He doesn't die because revenge consumed him, but also freeing up a party slot for the next boss fight. We don't get sad. Cecil doesn't save Rosa from Golbez in time, they don't kiss in 16-bit glory.

THEREFORE, the rest of the game can be placed (storywise) on Cecil voicing his displeasure to the king, and getting demoted by water turtle king.

WHICH MEANS (TLDR): Final Fantasy IV is important for being one of the first RPGs to focus on a character's action (Cecil voicing displeasure to the king) rather then something happening in the world.

and that is why it is my favorite.

also, because it taught me to not betray people, or get mind controlled (equatable to giving into peer pressure).

and to treat your brother friend better.

also spoony bards
    Last edited by PrivateSmiley; 2017-05-05 at 08:09 PM.

For me it's tough toss up.

On one hand 7 was released around my most formative years. Cloud and Sephiroth were badass. The sheer size and staggering amount of secrets and detail and story were top notch. FF7 also has one of the best and most impactful pacing seen in a long time.

Then there's 9. It's charming, its down to earth, it's beautiful (especially the ending), it's fun, has a decent story, and lots of neat little secrets + an awesome mini game.

Another one for me is Tactics. The story is downright amazing, secrets galore, and the music never fails to get my blood pumping, not to mention the fresh and fun combat system.

I really don't think I could pick honestly.

Xenogears is still the best RPG ever though

For me it's 8....

Squall was a cool dude that didn't quite fit in with the status quo. Also his rivalry with Seifer and wanting to be great training in balamb gardens was all cool stuff as a young lad. The fact there were hot woman everywhere in the gardens. ...I wanted to be squall. The heavy rpg elements to the game got me hooked on rpgs. The card game was addictive and the music set the tone/feel perfectly
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-05-05 at 07:49 PM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    For me, FFX was the first one that I played and I like it a lot.

My husband, however, is very adamant about FF4 (FF2 on the SNES).
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have read 8 bi theater but its beemn a while

7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that gets my blood to a boil for X is "Couldn't steal anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    The only thing that gets my blood to a boil for X is "Couldn't steal anything."
    That was far more annoying in 9 than 10, imo. Especially on Beatrix's timed fights.

Especially since early on that was the only way to get the good items for the abilities. I never usually stole in X (I didn't use Rikku much at all--yesyes I know how broken she is, but I really kind of hated that she broke the game and that's why I never used her), and I felt just fine.

In 9 I felt noticeably behind in abilities, since you usually wouldn't get the weapons with the same abilities you could steal on until 3-4 towns later, which is a good 4-5 hours gameplay wise.

I mean 10 and 9 are my favorite FFs, in that order, but the stealing in 9 was terrible. I hated it. Even when you got Zidane's Master Thief or whatever it was called, that increased the steal chance for rares from like 1/64 to 1/8.