Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    On one hand, if they say CS is actually getting changed I win *(unless by some act of god they make it worse).

On the other hand if they actually read the megathread and saw my discussion and said, nah we disagree and it stays the same I go down as a legend who stood against the gods with a few brave souls, but lost. A compelling story wouldn't you say?
    Over 1 spell? Nah. Now if you were trying to take down 1 job then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It's almost like it's hard work for them to just outright state what they have planned. I'd guess that at this point the details are pretty much set for release and they're working on getting things ready to ship in 6 weeks time. It's really too short a time scale to overhaul their systems again and still hit that release date. I know they want to keep teasing fans with little snippets of information, but there comes a point where speculating gets old and it's time for some hard facts.

I also feel obliogated to point out that the Summoner cannot cross class into Esuna currently, nor has access to the Scholar specific version of it, Leeches.

On the other hand if they actually read the megathread and saw my discussion and said, nah we disagree and it stays the same I go down as a legend who stood against the gods with a few brave souls, but lost. A compelling story wouldn't you say?
    Watch out, that's how Squenix turn you into a Summon! (And me too, I was very involved in that particular disucussion .)

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    It's almost like it's hard work for them to just outright state what they have planned. I'd guess that at this point the details are pretty much set for release and they're working on getting things ready to ship in 6 weeks time. It's really too short a time scale to overhaul their systems again and still hit that release date. I know they want to keep teasing fans with little snippets of information, but there comes a point where speculating gets old and it's time for some hard facts.

I also feel obliogated to point out that the Summoner cannot cross class into Esuna currently, nor has access to the Scholar specific version of it, Leeches.

Watch out, that's how Squenix turn you into a Summon! (And me too, I was very involved in that particular disucussion .)
    I also forgot that ACN is labeled as a DPS when it starts out, so seeing that the cross class stuff will be shared based on role, it won't be an issue of SMN ended up with esuna due to shared base class with SCH, because only one of those 3 is a healer.

We'll have hard facts about what's happening soon enough. I do think they could use their website posts and other outlets as means to reveal more information instead of condensing everything into monthly live letters, but I suppose that's another mechanism of how they control information distribution; if you have to go over so much info during the LL, that leaves that much less time for Q&A for the audience. :-/

The recent Stormblood benchmark is a really cool way to introduce players to some of the new abilities, even if we don't have the full context of what each one is/does (like the new AST cards).

The thing I'm looking forward to the most are the class and job changes. I want to resub, especially since my max toon is only 56, but I want to see how the classes are changing. I'm having trouble deciding on a main still (started off with SMN, then I liked the DRG armor more so I switched to that, but I also kind of like BRD, but PLD and Red mage are cool too).

The job I'm anticipating the most is paladin. I want to see what changes are in store.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    The thing I'm looking forward to the most are the class and job changes. I want to resub, especially since my max toon is only 56, but I want to see how the classes are changing. I'm having trouble deciding on a main still (started off with SMN, then I liked the DRG armor more so I switched to that, but I also kind of like BRD, but PLD and Red mage are cool too).

The job I'm anticipating the most is paladin. I want to see what changes are in store.
    I am with you on this, my friend. I want to resub as well but I am skeptical. They haven't talked much about the sweeping changes to combat and classes at all which is kind of odd. Why wouldn't they seeing as how it's one of the big features they advertised being in the expansion. I don't get it. On top of that, we haven't seen much footage of the new zones. I am skeptical on their size, and how open they are. Heavensward while a nice improvement still felt like it was on rails somewhat and the zones weren't as large as I thought they'd be.

They've actually said there aren't going to be massive changes. It's players who are overhyping it. If anything some players are probably going to hate it because there's going to be some homogenization involved what with the cross class stuff being changed into abilities shared by everyone in a specific role.
    It's not going to be on the scale of WoW changing everything up between expansions.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

I'm just interested in what exactly is changing (and more info on Red Mage). The changes alluded to sound nice so far.

I'm mostly interested in tanks. It's funny because I don't play them, but I really love the armors so I want to try to play them. That's why I went DRG, which I like, but I dunno, the DPS rotation just exhausts me out (funnily enough since SMN doesn't as much). Seeing what skills get consolidated and if any get switched around is what's exciting.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

hopefully "actually fun to play" is on the docket for PLD. last job i levelled, didnt even touch it past 30 till like 2 months ago and that is a constant experience of "man, i could be on DRK or WAR right now and actually having fun".

Its like WAR sucks so much in the early game as a tank that they flipped it round at 50 and it never changed since. I know theres a few situations where PLD is useful but i sincerely cannot name another mmo class as boring as FFXIV's PLD. Maybe Rifts cleric tank or warhammer onlines elf casters but thats about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just interested in what exactly is changing (and more info on Red Mage). The changes alluded to sound nice so far.

I'm mostly interested in tanks. It's funny because I don't play them, but I really love the armors so I want to try to play them. That's why I went DRG, which I like, but I dunno, the DPS rotation just exhausts me out (funnily enough since SMN doesn't as much). Seeing what skills get consolidated and if any get switched around is what's exciting.
    If you haven't yet i would recommend giving DRK a shot. a lot of typical tank leaning mmo players i know say its 'too many buttons, too busy' but personally it just feels like a dps that has threat gen and you just throw in a taunting move while going ham with an edgelord greatsword.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    hopefully "actually fun to play" is on the docket for PLD. last job i levelled, didnt even touch it past 30 till like 2 months ago and that is a constant experience of "man, i could be on DRK or WAR right now and actually having fun".

Its like WAR sucks so much in the early game as a tank that they flipped it round at 50 and it never changed since. I know theres a few situations where PLD is useful but i sincerely cannot name another mmo class as boring as FFXIV's PLD. Maybe Rifts cleric tank or warhammer onlines elf casters but thats about it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't yet i would recommend giving DRK a shot. a lot of typical tank leaning mmo players i know say its 'too many buttons, too busy' but personally it just feels like a dps that has threat gen and you just throw in a taunting move while going ham with an edgelord greatsword.
    I enjoy PLD at 60 but it's pretty dull without the HW skills and even then it could use some work. They have specifically mentioned that PLD needs some love though so there's hope.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious to learn more about the story for red mage. I read the bit about the origins of the job on the site. Unfortunately it didn't answer what the present day status of red mages is. Is there a group of them out in gyr abania? Was it eventually lost to time and you help rediscover it? Etc. Us RPers want to know these things!

On one hand I don't mind the tidbit hype building approach. On the other hand I definitely want firm details. That's a shitty place to be in because I want to know if I am going to like something, but I want to be surprised at the same time, a paradox if you will.

It's like these 1 character a week fighting game reveals that NRS does. I dig the hype, but at the same time I just want to see the full roster so I can be like YO batgirl is my main, back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Over 1 spell? Nah. Now if you were trying to take down 1 job then maybe.
    Edit: I think when you say job you meant in game, not like someone's actual job lol.

Don't minimize my efforts here! Most jobs are in good overall shape and just need some real streamlining and process revamps. They don't need full overhauls (cough. PLD cough.) so just a few simple systems changes are sufficient.

I know theres a few situations where PLD is useful but i sincerely cannot name another mmo class as boring as FFXIV's PLD. Maybe Rifts cleric tank or warhammer onlines elf casters but thats about it.
    You and I rarely agree, but I can agree with this. I cannot think of a more boring tank in any game than PLD.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-05-05 at 12:12 PM.

I like that they're very thorough in regards to keeping story spoilers to a minimum where new content is concerned. I strongly dislike how certain other MMO's just allow for major plot points to be spoiled in advance - sometimes months before a new patch is due to launch. I do, however, think that FFXIV should be a bit more open about what awaits us in terms of how each job is going to be adjusted. Still, the next Live Letter is apparently going to be in mid-late May so it thankfully isn't going to be too long until we get the next major information dump.

As far as PLD goes, I have a weakness for it simply because I adore the 'sword and shield' aesthetic. I hope it gets a major rework, though, since arguably it's the job that needs it the most at the moment. WAR was, if I recall correctly, in a pretty rough spot as of 2.0 and received some major tweaks to make it better - though PLD was left behind. 3.0 gave us DRK which proved to be a very efficient and enjoyable option. Yet, again, PLD was left behind. I'd like to see 'Flash' deal damage to give PLD some easily accessible AoE damage that isn't on a lengthy cooldown or locked to a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I enjoy PLD at 60 but it's pretty dull without the HW skills and even then it could use some work. They have specifically mentioned that PLD needs some love though so there's hope.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious to learn more about the story for red mage. I read the bit about the origins of the job on the site. Unfortunately it didn't answer what the present day status of red mages is. Is there a group of them out in gyr abania? Was it eventually lost to time and you help rediscover it? Etc. Us RPers want to know these things!
    The trouble with PLD is you very often hear people say "yeah its boring but it gets better past 50" in a game where the current cap is 60 that is ridiculous. WAR is iffy for like 3 levels tops before you get your taunts. 50 levels before a job is even considered fun is insane, if your userbase actually considers like that much of time spent getting the job to max level dull as dicks thats a call for a from the ground up redesign. They need to ARR the job itself. More light magic as DRK's counterpart should have, not "1,2,3, taunt" the class.

Its more engaging to play a PLD in FFIV and that a goddamn early SNES game.

They should take PLD in a similar direction, aesthetically, to:

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post

I'd take Beatrix's outfit, hair and save the queen any day. Not to keen on the face mask. Never was.

I'd kill for some Beatrix/Agrias styled Holy Knight gameplay built into PLD. Sword Magic is my jam.

15+ Year Old Account
    So does red mage use the same gear as black mage? Even at like 200 hours into this game i have no idea what im doing and what most of the items do.

Does anybody know if the Samurai is a DPS role or tank role?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    So does red mage use the same gear as black mage? Even at like 200 hours into this game i have no idea what im doing and what most of the items do.

Yes. With the exception of job specific gear and weapons of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Does anybody know if the Samurai is a DPS role or tank role?
    Sam is melee dps.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd take Beatrix's outfit, hair and save the queen any day. Not to keen on the face mask. Never was.

I'd kill for some Beatrix/Agrias styled Holy Knight gameplay built into PLD. Sword Magic is my jam.
    I think it's a fancy eye patch.

- - - Updated - - -

The trouble with PLD is you very often hear people say "yeah its boring but it gets better past 50" in a game where the current cap is 60 that is ridiculous. WAR is iffy for like 3 levels tops before you get your taunts. 50 levels before a job is even considered fun is insane, if your userbase actually considers like that much of time spent getting the job to max level dull as dicks thats a call for a from the ground up redesign. They need to ARR the job itself. More light magic as DRK's counterpart should have, not "1,2,3, taunt" the class.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some pld love to touch up the lower levels. Maybe give us goring blade at a much lower level for starters and actual aoe beyond flash and Circle of scorn to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post

That would be more interesting. Some none taunting attacks that builds up stacks of a buff you can spend on something like Climhazzad or something with a Save the Queen Relic to go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    It does and that feels weird. Either a lot of future BLM/SMN stuff is long coats instead of robes or we will be playing fencers that dash around in a dress. I mean i guess once again we are getting your job artefact set like we did in ARR so its not going to be hard to glamour robes so its RDM artifact on RDM but still a robe on BLM/SMN or vice versa but its still odd.

Count me among the many who agree with the idea that PLD needs some serious love. Other than the domain of physical damage reduction, the other two tanks outclass it...ok, the one other area PLD excels is ease of play, which may play a role in the "PLD is boring".

- - - Updated - - -

It does and that feels weird. Either a lot of future BLM/SMN stuff is long coats instead of robes or we will be playing fencers that dash around in a dress. I mean i guess once again we are getting your job artefact set like we did in ARR so its not going to be hard to glamour robes so its RDM artifact on RDM but still a robe on BLM/SMN or vice versa but its still odd.
    I'm all for some variety in style...there's already dozens of different robe models to choose from, although it will kinda suck for those of us who end up with every job leveled and stuck having to choose a glamour that works for every caster or end up with one of the three in AF gear while the others are stuck with whatever.

Maybe if they continue adding jobs that utilize the same gear types, (another tank/healer, or something that would share Maiming gear with DRG), they finally give in to the demand for job-specific glamour slots. Shame that so much AF gear goes unused.

Thats the trouble right? gotta choose between glmaours as SCH/AST and thats choosing knee high socks or not and thats a crime!