Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Alliance vs Horde leaders/important lore figures

Which faction has more powerful leaders/important lore figures?
    As an Alliance player I may be a bit biased but it always seemed to me that the alliance leaders were way more powerful than the horde leaders.

This is my view of the leaders, feel free to add your opinions, that's why I'm posting. I will include leaders who died in Legion because of the lack of development in the expansion.

Horde:
    Thrall - Obviously very powerful (provided the elements are present), a solid warrior and the most powerful shaman in the known universe (not counting temporary weakness during Legion). When fully powered by elements he can do insane stuff, even when he was a novice he destroyed Durnholde through the earth element. Downside - VERY dependent on the elements, as seen in Legion, SOO, and a few other occasions.

Vol'Jin - A shadow hunter whose powers are not so clearly shown, but he is thought to be incredibly agile, capable of standard witch doctor stuff like hexing, and is known to be greatly skilled in battle. Trolls also have enhanced regeneration although I don't see that helping in a single battle to death.

Baine Bloodhoof - A warrior for whom we can assume is as strong as his father was, which means he is a capable and a skilled warrior. As a tauren he obviously overwhelms some of the weaker alliance races by default, but that's about it.

Lor'themar Theron - One of the most experienced leaders of the Horde as he fought in the Amani war, the Second and the Third war. He was a ranger second in command only to Sylvannas at one point, which implies he is very skilled with his bow and arrow, even for elven standards.

Jastor Gallywix - Praise be upon him, the most powerful leader of all, he can unleash a torrent of coins onto his enemies until they get squished by the weight.

Sylvannas Windrunner - Very though to rank, because her base abilities are being the best ranger out of all the blood elves, meaning probably in all the Horde. In practice she is way more powerful because she uses all the dirty tricks she can through her subjects to do things that are incredibly useful. But since it's through her subjects, and not her directly, I can only attribute that to her cunning.

Varok Saurfang - Probably the most experienced Horde leader, as he fought in all three wars, and almost all campaigns. Obviously very strong and very skilled.

Notable characters:

Drek'Thar - Very wise and powerful shaman, also a strong warrior.
    Hamuul Runetotem - A powerful druid, knows many secrets of the wild.
    Lady Liadrin - A relatively new but strong paladin.

Alliance:
    Varian Wrynn - To keep it short, a proven warrior, probably one of the most successful human gladiators.

Gelbin Mekkatorque - A brilliant engineer, but we've only seen him in action on the Broken Shore, he seems to be doing pretty well with a huge, gunned robot.

The Council of the Three Hammers - While each of them is fairly strong and have a rich history, none of them stand out as exceptional, at least the way I see it.

Genn Greymane - You guessed it, another cool warrior guy.

Now for the powerful guys I was talking about

Prophet Velen - Velen is probably the most powerful user of the Light and he is incredibly old and wise. For the denizens of Azeroth his power would seem on an otherworldly level (see what I did there?). The downside is that in combat his full power doesn't really show, since his power is more on the defensive side (heals, protection) and visions.

Malfurion Stormrage - The first and the most powerful druid by far, he taught Hamuul Runetotem and all the other druids the ways of druidism. He is basically one with the nature in every sense, and skilled in every school of druidism, which means that in combat he could adapt to every situation, and change the battlefield itself the way he wants.

Tyrande Whisperwind - Through Elune she's probably the second only to Velen when it comes to wielding the light. Unlike Velen though, Tyrande is exceptionally skilled in combat, as seen in many occasions, as she can use both her powers, and her weapons to do some stuff.

Notable characters:

Khadgar - Presumably the most powerful mage on Azeroth (could be wrong though), and technically the new Guardian as claimed by medivh in RtK. Prior to Gul'dan's powerup in ToS, he easily overpowers him, thanks to both his pure power and his experience.

Jaina Proudmoore - Along with Khadgar one of the top mages. She could have crushed the entire city of Orgrimmar with a single spell had she not changed her mind in the last minute.

Shandris Feathermoon, the Windrunner sisters.

My point is, apart from Thrall, the horde leaders are just very skilled warriors/archers, while the Alliance leaders are consisted of a few very skilled warriors/archers, and a few godlike power users. Any thoughts if you cared enough to read this lengthy post?

P.S. Sorry pandas

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Sylvannas Windrunner - Very though to rank, because her base abilities are being the best ranger out of all the blood elves, meaning probably in all the Horde. In practice she is way more powerful because she uses all the dirty tricks she can through her subjects to do things that are incredibly useful. But since it's through her subjects, and not her directly, I can only attribute that to her cunning.
    '

She also has Banshee powers

Sylvanas is skilled at archery, an art she mastered as a high elf. To this day the bow remains Sylvanas's weapon of choice.[47]
    The Banshee Queen is aptly named. Her screams have the power to silence and weaken her enemies, or bolster the power of her allies.[48]
    Sylvanas is adept at demon magic — having the ability to drain life, create skeletons, and use mind control.[49]
    Although Sylvanas has reclaimed her undead high elven body, she still retains the ability to shift in and out of her incorporeal banshee form at will.[47][50][51]
    Through her pact with the val'kyr, Sylvanas has power over life and death.[14] At the time of the Cataclysm events in Silverpine Forest, she could only raise humans into undeath, but her powers could always grow down the line.[52] During the Siege of Orgrimmar, Sylvanas offered to raise Lor'themar's blood elf troops. During Garrosh's trial in War Crimes, she planned to raise Vereesa as a Forsaken.
    Sylvanas can telepathically communicate by making her voice "invade" the thoughts of another person.[53]

Her voice is so powerful that walls started shaking when she raised her voice.

Also her body is described as nearly indestructible.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Sylvanas_Wi...Lore_abilities

As for Tyrande, her powers seem to be on a coin flip, some times shes just crumples.

Jaina Proudmoore - Along with Khadgar one of the top mages. She could have crushed the entire city of Orgrimmar with a single spell had she not changed her mind in the last minute.
    Jainas pretty weak actually without the focusing iris.
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2017-05-05 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazar View Post
    The Council of the Three Hammers - While each of them is fairly strong and have a rich history, none of them stand out as exceptional, at least the way I see it.
    I dunno, from your write up it seems the Horde leaders would rekt the Alliance by a lot. The only "extra" issue is Thrall vs Velen, Elements vs Light. Also, Malfurion not really being alliance. But with that, there are many of these people that are very neutral now. And Vol'Jin and Varian are pretty damn dead.

And why I quoted what I did, Muradin Bronzebeard... I'm hardcore horde, but Muradin is the only alliance person I wouldn't want to fight 1v1. I mean, Varok would rekt him, but Muradin would smash Lor'thermar and Baine pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Lor'themar lost an eye, so he isn't really that good of an fighter anymore, perception of depth etc.

Jaina couldn't level orgrimmar with a single spell, she needed one of the most powerful arcane artifacts on the planet and even then it was quite taxing and took a very long time to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    As for Tyrande, her powers seem to be on a coin flip, some times shes just crumples.
    Malfy is her weakness.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    And why I quoted what I did, Muradin Bronzebeard... I'm hardcore horde, but Muradin is the only alliance person I wouldn't want to fight 1v1. I mean, Varok would rekt him, but Muradin would smash Lor'thermar and Baine pretty easily.
    Muradin is quite the accomplished warrior, but baine is said to be more skilled than his father, so I'd put him above muradin in terms of melee skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Malfy is her weakness.
    And if elune can be bothered to get up from the couch.

'
    Jainas pretty weak actually without the focusing iris.
    True forgot about that part, although I still wouldn't call her weak by any means, she was the leader of kirin tor, the faction of mages and that stands for something

Sylvanas is very OP when you remember she's undead (not counting any banshee/dark ranger abilities, which I have never seen her use in-lore). As an undead, she's immune to most non-magical poison and diseases, does not suffer from blood loss or internal organ damage, is tireless (at least in body), feels almost no pain (if any) and is way stronger than a living counterpart. Sylvanas was pretty deadly when she was alive, but as an undead I think she's pretty much unstoppable by any but the most skilled opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Sylvanas is very OP when you remember she's undead (not counting any banshee/dark ranger abilities, which I have never seen her use in-lore). As an undead, she's immune to most non-magical poison and diseases, does not suffer from blood loss or internal organ damage, is tireless (at least in body), feels almost no pain (if any) and is way stronger than a living counterpart. Sylvanas was pretty deadly when she was alive, but as an undead I think she's pretty much unstoppable by any but the most skilled opponents.
    Godfrey rekt her with one bullet. She is pretty vulnerable honesty. Any bullet with coated with magic would kill her. Genn should invest in some Saronite bullets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazar View Post
    True forgot about that part, although I still wouldn't call her weak by any means, she was the leader of kirin tor, the faction of mages and that stands for something
    Her most powerful arcane blast barely staggered Thalen songweaver.
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Hmm, is that me or is something missing in this thread ? First post appears to be....chaotic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Hmm, is that me or is something missing in this thread ? First post appears to be....chaotic
    yea know idea what happened to OP.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    yea know idea what happened to OP.
    Perhaps the OP got spirited away or something ? We need @Aucald to perform exorcism or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Perhaps the OP got spirited away or something ? We need @Aucald to perform exorcism or something.
    I have marshaled the dark powers at my command, but I'm unsure if it has made a functional difference.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I have marshaled the dark powers at my command, but I'm unsure if it has made a functional difference.
    Well, now OP seems to be visible ! Much appreciated.

OT: Technically Velen should be the most powerful, if not for his low morale. After that Malfurion - mostly due to being related to god emperor illidan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripzzz View Post
    Godfrey rekt her with one bullet. She is pretty vulnerable honesty. Any bullet with coated with magic would kill her. Genn should invest in some Saronite bullets.
    A magical shot to the head, from behind, in close range, when the opponent is unaware and unable to defend itself, could kill anybody on the Alliance or Horde, possibly even most demons, undead and elementals. That's hardly a weakness.

That's like saying: "Varian isn't so touch! He would die if you decapitate his head while sleeping!"

Her most powerful arcane blast barely staggered Thalen songweaver.
    I know its canon cause it was in a book (or short story? cant remember), but... Does it even make sense from any point of view? Still no idea why they wanted to show Jaina, one of the most powerful mages on Azeroth, as a weak ass mage-thingy... This is one the the very few things that, because of not making any sense, I wouldnt consider canon and a metric of power even if its written into lore.

Also I wouldnt dismiss her with saying 'she is strong because of the artifacts she has' cause thats they are meant to do - improve your magical power. Same as a better sword gives you more fighting capabilities, artifacts grant you more power. Would you call us, the players, weak only because we use artifacts in legion?

No idea what happened for a few hours the post seemed deleted and since I'm fairly new to posting here I thought it was some moderator meddling, maybe I broke a forum guideline or something

As for the Sylvannas comments, I still think many of you are counting the help of her allies as her own powers, although I do stand corrected about some of her abilities, as well as Jaina's (lack of).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's difficult to differentiate power levels based on the abilities the various faction leaders have displayed in the lore. From memory here are some of the more glaring inconsistencies I can think of:

Thrall: Summons boulders, bridges of earth, and crushes Garrosh with a fist of followed by a lobotomizing lightning blast. Also loses control of the Doomhammer and got wrecked at the Broken Shore.

Jaina: Takes down a Scourge Necropolis with a single fireball in one of the WotLK tie-in comics. Unable to do much to Thalen Songweaver with an Arcane Blast.

Malfurion: Able to control any and all aspects of nature, including practically erasing Varo'then from existence by exhorting Kalimdor to turn against him. Easily trapped by Maiev in "Wolfheart" and only freed by Jarod Shadowsong's intervention.

Sylvanas: Dark Ranger, Banshee Queen, peerless archer, and practically a Necromancer in her own right. Killed by a single bullet fired by Godfrey.

Tyrande: Millennia-old High Priestess of Elune, quintessential sentinel and veteran of countless wars and conflicts across Kalimdor. Goes to pieces when Malfurion is taken by Xavius and almost unable to do anything without the aid of the PC.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, as well. Power levels are just one of those things that aren't easy to compare and contrast, as it varies wildly depending on context, storyline, and whoever is actually telling the story.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Gallywix!!

Cause lets face it money can buy you power plus he has a golf course!

(sound familiar?)