has it always been this way?

so i've been playing BM, trying to main my hunter, and I've noticed 2 things that were bothering me.

1. There's alot of downtime in my rotation. Basically 2-3 seconds where I literally dont click anything, is this normal? ( I took stampede instead of cobra)

2. Everytime I try and attack something my pets take a while to charge at it because their charge range is less than my range which means 2-3 seconds pass of me not being able to click kill command/dire frenzy. Has it always been that way?

The downtime is a Legion thing - Cobra Shot used to generate Focus before, which meant zero downtime, now you have to wait with Focus over time and from Dire Beast/Frenzy.

Pet AI, however, has always been awful, more noticeably so since Blink Strikes isn't the go-to talent any more either. It doesn't help we have TWO slow pets now, that both path awfully and get stuck all the time or simply can't keep up with bosses moving positions.

Hopefully 7.2.5's changes will help that - they're making Kill Command 40 yard (from pet) instead of 25, and making it so Hati uses Dash when your normal pet does. Many more amazing QoL changes in that patch too - http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...hanges-in-725/
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-05-06 at 01:17 PM.

Its as Soisoisoi says, downtime is mostly a legion thing.

Luckily the next patch will help a bit with it, as right now you're pretty much required to have the legendary shoulders just to feel like you're playing a decent specc, as it feels unbelievably clunky without them. Blizzard making 2stack Dire beast/frenzy baseline should help out a lot.

Pets on the other hand have been horrible since vanilla, you just seem to notice it more now since you have TWO pet AI's to deal with, and they dont seem to enjoy working together sometimes. If one of your pets decide to go full pacifist on you, a resummon should fix it.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

BM is pretty damn horrible in this expantion, yes.
    It used to be better though.

Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    so i've been playing BM, trying to main my hunter, and I've noticed 2 things that were bothering me.

1. There's alot of downtime in my rotation. Basically 2-3 seconds where I literally dont click anything, is this normal? ( I took stampede instead of cobra)

2. Everytime I try and attack something my pets take a while to charge at it because their charge range is less than my range which means 2-3 seconds pass of me not being able to click kill command/dire frenzy. Has it always been that way?
    The downtime gets better with haste and 4 set. Boots also help. I don't have a ton of down time compared to start of legion. Also I wouldn't use stampede. It's fun but can miss and long cd. Cobra is just to good for BW windows with spamming KC and Cobra Shot resets.

As far as the charge, try macroing crows in with pet attack. The AI is much better than it was at the start of legion. Next patch Hati will charge also when main pet does. I'm to the point I don't notice it as bad as I did. I know target swapping can be a pain in the ass and I get my pet not attacking weakaura sometimes but it's not that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

You can always look at this way, you don't have cast times so think of the down time as cast times. On a good day and gear depending you can average close to 50 cpm on a raid boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedrin View Post
    You can always look at this way, you don't have cast times so think of the down time as cast times. On a good day and gear depending you can average close to 50 cpm on a raid boss.
    Coming from a 1sec GCD class that was GCD capped (i.e. 60 APM+) to this, and then it getting changed to 1.5s GCD, was painful for me. You're right though, gear helps - Legendary Shoulders specifically, though that's becoming baseline in 7.2.5 as already noted above.

Normally down time on a rotation was a melee only thing and even then it didn't apply to all. Ranged classes were always smashing keys or in the middle of a cast/channel. The down time on hunters is one of my least favorite changes to them in Legion.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    I find that I don't have that much downtime at all, maybe 1 or 2 seconds every so often. The range is a bit awkward at times but thats getting sorted so nothing to complain about anymore. I do have the legendary belt which certainly helps out during BW. I find that having a KC macro with /petattack really helps me out and I just have my pet on passive at all times.

Have the leg belt and ring and 4-set piece, never have any downtime. Pet AI is the same as it always was though, and tbf I'm not sure they could ever change it all that much. I signed up for micro-management of a pet when I started playing the class, so as long as Hati gains more speed I'm happy.

Downtime pre 4pc and no bracers and cof it's about 35% wait time. Once you get all 4pc and the bracers and cof it goes down to about 15%
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!

Get 18-20% haste. Also, Stampede is mostly terrible.