Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

making play styles from past expansions accessible via talents

Every expansion we run into the same dilemma. A spec gets overhauled by Blizzard and some players love the new version, while others prefer the old one.
    Whenever they change a spell drastically or remove it completely, they should put the old version of it in the talent tree.

An elemental shaman, for example, should have the option to play his elemental the exact same way he did in MoP. There should be a talent build, that brings back the play style of MoP elemental.
    If a fire mage liked the play style of Cataclysm, then he should be able to spec into talents that allow for exactly that play style now in Legion.
    Instead of removing the hunter survival play style completely, they should have just made a talent build for MM hunters that feels exactly like survival did in WoD.

You get the point. It just feels like a waste when they simply trash a spec that players really loved to play.

If they advertised the next expansion with "play your class the way you loved to play it in any previous expansion" then LOADS of people will come back.

Balance won't be an issue, because number tuning is always the solution. A spec is over-performing because of gear scaling? Nerf some of the coefficients and it's in line again with all the other builds.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    That would be really cool but unfortunately all the elitist players would just play the same old boring cookie cutter builds, no innovation

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    Every expansion we run into the same dilemma. A spec gets overhauled by Blizzard and some players love the new version, while others prefer the old one.
    Whenever they change a spell drastically or remove it completely, they should put the old version of it in the talent tree.

An elemental shaman, for example, should have the option to play his elemental the exact same way he did in MoP. There should be a talent build, that brings back the play style of MoP elemental.
    If a fire mage liked the play style of Cataclysm, then he should be able to spec into talents that allow for exactly that play style now in Legion.
    Instead of removing the hunter survival play style completely, they should have just made a talent build for MM hunters that feels exactly like survival did in WoD.

You get the point. It just feels like a waste when they simply trash a spec that players really loved to play.

If they advertised the next expansion with "play your class the way you loved to play it in any previous expansion" then LOADS of people will come back.

Balance won't be an issue, because number tuning is always the solution. A spec is over-performing because of gear scaling? Nerf some of the coefficients and it's in line again with all the other builds.
    I know I would come back for WOTLK tank Pally and WOTLK Resto Druid! Or Cata Resto Shammys... Now that was fun

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    That would be really cool but unfortunately all the elitist players would just play the same old boring cookie cutter builds, no innovation
    So what? How's that affect you?

Deleted
    That's not really a problem..

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    So what? How's that affect you?
    Balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    Nope. Balance would be a big issue. If one class/talent has a distinct edge in performance, expect groups to be overloaded with that class.

Nerfing happens all the time. But even so, trying to balance all the classes even with todays limited number is already hard. Look at the Warlocks. They pretty much ruled during a previous expansion.

How about we just revert the class design to it's most successful incarnation? For most of them that would be the MoP. I'd rather not have a bunch of convoluted talents just to fix the shit-tier design of the past two expansions.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

they don't do this because no one would play the legion version and the class designers really can't handle seeing people not like their work. it's better for them to suppress any memory where the player had more fun than to actually help them have more fun.

It's true, people would just min/max all the specs to find out what the highest performing one was. The other specs would then be considered "broken" and players would just keep crying for Blizzard to fix all the "broken" specs.

It would be a balancing nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    How about we just revert the class design to it's most successful incarnation? For most of them that would be the MoP. I'd rather not have a bunch of convoluted talents just to fix the shit-tier design of the past two expansions.
    Some kind of mix of Cata/MoP/WoD(depending on which spec we're talking about) would be sick.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    time to play shadowbolt spam bot again woowee
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    I mean, more variety and customization is great for everyone.

But hooooooo boi the balancing would be a nightmare

I can't imagine what a balancing nightmare that would be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Nope. Balance would be a big issue. If one class/talent has a distinct edge in performance, expect groups to be overloaded with that class.
    then Blizzard will have to watch the meters more closely and pin down the talent that needs to be brought in line with the other talents. a hotfix every 2-3 days during the first few months of the expansion is not too much to ask for. we are talking Blizzard here.
    Last edited by mmoc3a779c5103; 2017-05-06 at 04:14 PM.

They are already playing the same new boring cookie cutter builds, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Thats the thing you think it's the MoP incarnation others think it's Cata others Wrath and so on.

so a talent for elemental that just doubled chain lightning damage, removed EQ, gave us lightning bolt on the move, stormlash totem, healing tide totem, and ancestral guidance healed for triple the amount?

yeh i think that might as well be baseline what elemental shaman isn't taking that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    time to play shadowbolt spam bot again woowee
    hurray, and I'll dig up my steady shot macro

10+ Year Old Account
    Though, I understand the idea, there would be more trouble making this and keeping it, than just develop the game as they plan.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..