Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    how would you change the system to make third parties more palatable?
    Rank choice voting would be a start

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Tonight for whatever reason my parents started talking about Donald again and how he's screwing up again and my dad basically said he is going to get impeached soon. My question is, when is soon. They have been talking about impeaching him since January. A lot of people where I live do NOT like him. The country at least half of it doesnt like him. So how much does it take to get him impeached so we can get maybe Hillary or Bernie in office? I dont even know if thats possible.
    It'll happen after Obama gets impeached for taking all our guns.

IF he was to get impeached, we would have President Pence. You don't get to chose the next President when you Impeach... just like anything else, you follow the line of succession: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._of_succession

> Article II, Section 1 of the United States Constitution provides that:
    > In case of the removal of the President from office, or of his death, resignation, or inability to discharge the powers and duties of the said office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President ... until the disability be removed, or a President elected.

For example, if Trump and Pence were to die... we would have President Paul Ryan.

There was talk for all 8 years about impeaching Obama... it didn't happen for Obama... it won't happen for Trump.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

how would you change the system to make third parties more palatable?
    At a minimum, the alternative vote (which has other names). Let people rank their choices so there's no more "I'd vote Green, but I have to stop the Republicans, or "I'd vote Libertarian, but I'd rather have a Republican than a Democrat." Let people vote for their preferred candidate/party, and if they aren't in the running, the vote gets transferred to their second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Instant runoff voting. Most of our voting systems are already electronic. Some states or areas would have to invest to change it, but it's not like we absolutely have to hand count ballots anymore. This makes the entire system more feasible.

I don't remember if that video explains it, but basically you just pick your 1, 2,... n choices for office and then it simulates a bunch of contests, knocking out the lowest performing candidate in each round until only a single candidate is left or a single candidate achieves 50% of the vote. Votes that went to a knocked out candidate are then re-added as votes for the next person down the list. It allows people to vote for candidates that would otherwise constitute throwaway votes without having to to choose between that candidate and "Old Reliable" the mainstream party candidate closest to their views. Anyone who prefers the current system can basically just continue voting the same way they do now and not worry about it.

There are possibly other solutions. Like with any other issue, I'm pretty open to ideas. That's just the best solution I know of at this point.
    interesting, im not to keen on my vote moving to someone else though.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    There was talk for all 8 years about impeaching Obama... it didn't happen for Obama... it won't happen for Trump.
    Trump has a..."few"....more issues with conflicts of interest and active investigations than Obama did. Not that I'm holding my breath, but you also have to keep in mind that the Paul Ryans and the Mitch McConnells in Congress would much prefer to work with a president Pence over a president Trump. If Trump puts out a combination of impeachable activity and political toxicity, the GoP wouldn't defend him any more. There wouldn't be a scenario where Dems can remove him on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

interesting, im not to keen on my vote moving to someone else though.
    If you only put in one vote it doesn't move. It gives you the option of having a second/third/etc choice.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-05-06 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    in about half an hour

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    He'll get impeached when he does something impeach worthy.
    This is the correct answer.

IMHO: While I don't like him and didn't vote for him, nothing has come to light, yet, has been proven to be worthy of impeachment and censure. Yet.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    It largely depends. Right now there's little to no chance of impeachment proceedings as the GOP is trying not to look factioned and they're sweeping the growing schisms between fiscal and social conservatives under the rug in the name of keeping party unison intact, so they're not going to turn on a Republican president no matter how much a liability some of the moderate Republicans seem to think he's become.

If the GOP loses the House in 2018, Trump might end up the target of a witch-hunt by the House and Senate who are looking to preserve their careers by using him as a scapegoat/throwing him under the bus, but even that would require a wildly-unpopular move on his part that gets both parties aligned against him. Otherwise, there won't be enough votes to impeach never mind remove from office (these are two separate proceedings; Clinton, for example, was impeached but there weren't enough votes to remove him from office). If there's enough to impeach but not enough to remove him from office, it plays into the GOP's competition going forward in future elections since that and the House passing the AHCA bill only for the Senate to kill it on arrival can all be used against the GOP by independents, Dems, and third-party candidates looking to build up a base at the local and state levels.

Now, ALL THAT being said, in the event Trump is impeached, and removed from office, that leaves Pence in command, which could arguably be worse for progressive causes. Trump has the built-in advantage that he has no idea what the fuck he's doing; many of his more extreme EOs so far have been struck down by the judiciary on Constitutional grounds. Pence has been at this for a while, he knows how to lawyerspeak his way through a document that makes it difficult for oppressed groups to specifically point at the wording of a legislation and prove it was meant to oppress them, rather than just being "an unfortunate side-effect" of the bill's wording that leaves the judiciary's hands tied. Trump is also building up a lot of animosity with Congress Republicans by rote of making their lives unnecessarily harder and trying to constantly strongman them into line. Pence is your bog-standard establishment social-conservative Republican and far more likely to play ball with Congress Republicans.

Which is all to say, the best bet for progressives to make big gains lay in focusing on the 2018 midterms and letting Trump dig himself a hole, and run a left-leaning populist candidate to pull the rug out from under him. Impeaching Trump has too many what-ifs involved that could end up blessings in disguise for the GOP just to score a short-term win like the ones Trump has spent his first 100 days obsessing over.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I have been watching Vikings and I think we should have a challenge to single combat, otherwise everyone should STFU.
    Didn't we stop doing that when Andrew Jackson started killing a whole shitload of people in duels over every little slight against him?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If you only make one choice, your vote would stay there and you'd just be out when your candidate is out. However, a lot of people may legitimately have a tiered preference system. For instance, a common left choice this election may have been something like 1. Bernie Sanders 2. Jill Stein 3. Hillary Clinton. That doesn't stop someone from saying 1. Hillary Clinton and leaving it at that, but it does open up the option for people who want to use it.
    I just feel it's making the system more complicated than it needs to be. There is nothing stopping a third party candidate from getting votes, they just need to appeal to the voters.

If a candidate only gets 10% of the votes, they would be out, why do we need to make it a tiered system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Didn't we stop doing that when Andrew Jackson started killing a whole shitload of people in duels over every little slight against him?
    He also beat another representative half to death with a cane if I remember correctly, or might have been an attempted assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I think we have pretty good grounds to invoke section 4 of the 25th amendment. Trump is obviously insane.
    Last I checked Trump wasn't incapacitated...

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    June 12th at 8:34PM, 2017
    The cause was a mass dutch-ovening in the oval office.

After mid terms. By that point, the Russian scandal should have brought to light anything that there is to bring and there's already reports of rumblings around congress about the GOP having private discussions about what to do with Trump and his mental state being too risky to deal with.

If anything damning comes out about Russia, he's gone. If there's a blue wave in the mid terms, he's gone and it will be unanimous across both sides to try to save their own hides from further losses in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

I just feel it's making the system more complicated than it needs to be. There is nothing stopping a third party candidate from getting votes, they just need to appeal to the voters.

If a candidate only gets 10% of the votes, they would be out, why do we need to make it a tiered system.

- - - Updated - - -

He also beat another representative half to death with a cane if I remember correctly, or might have been an attempted assassin.
    Attempted assassin for Jackson. Though he was a duelist...

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No. Hillary is done. Pence will become President.
    Unless Pence is tainted which seems to be hinted at more and more lately.

Interesting excerpt from the article (not exactly related to Pence though);
    The outgoing White House also became concerned about the Trump team's handling of classified information. After learning that highly sensitive documents from a secure room at the transition's Washington headquarters were being copied and removed from the facility, Obama's national security team decided to only allow the transition officials to view some information at the White House, including documents on the government's contingency plans for crises.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Unless Pence is tainted which seems to be hinted at more and more lately.

Interesting excerpt from the article (not exactly related to Pence though);
    Note that congress has a laundry list of possible shit to impeach Trump for. They can always oust Trump without the Russian investigation/cover up, putting Pence in charge in the mean time, especially if this ends up being a slower burn issue.

The GOP is already having private discussions about how they plan on handling Trump going forward and impeachment has apparently been something mentioned. If the GOP suffers any defeats in 2018 and it appears like a blue wave is mounting, they'll throw Trump under the bus so fast to try to mitigate the damage in 2020.

Basically, they're screwed either way and Pence likely goes down with the Russian scandal when it ever hits a courtroom. That doesn't stop the GOP from booting Trump to try to save their own seats in the face of the impending blue wave. And now with the healthcare fiasco, they're going to want to deflect any way they can.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Trump is already treading on impeachable grounds with his conflicts of interest.

That said, impeachment takes a very long time and a long investigation BEFORE the long process. Even if impeachment proceedings were to start, he'd still be in power during the process, and I think we all know what he'd do before he let himself get removed from office.
    you mean like the vice presidents conflicts of interest that nothing happened over durring the iraq war?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    you mean like the vice presidents conflicts of interest that nothing happened over durring the iraq war?
    Cheney had connections to defense contractors and was absolutely a vile human being.

He just didn't post advertisements about his friends to Twitter or use the state department and other government agency social media to advertise his and his family's products and properties.

Most administrations have corrupt pieces of shit. This one is just incompetent and can't help but flaunt the shit they're doing in the face of the public.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Got no love for the man. But I got my doubts it will ever happen. Only way is if he, yes he, not people on his team, but him directly worked with Russia to fuck with the election. Even then it would be tough. I mean let us be real for a second he was on TV telling people he can grab ladies by the pussy because he is famous enough to do it.

Morality means nothing. To his supporters he has one magic thing. A letter R that represents the party he is in. If that R was a D and he acted and did everything EXACTLY how he does it today most of his current supporters would hate his guts. All his executive orders would be him acting like "Emperor" or "King" instead of "genius" like they feel now. That is the key to winning elections in the US. Figure out which letters base is more energized and pick that one. R or D. I mean Trump was a Democrat most his life but saw the populous moment shifting to team R so he threw up the flag and hook line and sinker them.
    It's amazing, how him saying he grabs women by the pussy.. something that happend over a decade ago is still being brought up.

But Hillary being funded by people who torture and stone women for trying to get equal rights is okay. and she should be respected.

Both parties had awful candidates. but trying to make Trump seem like the evil one out of the two... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    You ignore the part where he constantly picks stupid fights, publicly rants like a child, and says bizarre stuff like "Why did we have a civil war?"

Pence is the guy republicans want. Not Trump.
    because electroshock therapy to treat homosexuals will be grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    It's amazing, how him saying he grabs women by the pussy.. something that happend over a decade ago is still being brought up.

But Hillary being funded by people who torture and stone women for trying to get equal rights is okay. and she should be respected.

Both parties had awful candidates. but trying to make Trump seem like the evil one out of the two... lol
    Except she wasn't funded by Saudi Arabia. Because, you know, that would be fucking illegal.

But you keep listening to that fake news you read on Facebook. It's doing wonders for you.