LastLast

Question Self engulf/immolate, MoP/WoD Destruction warlock

Why did they remove it!?

I miss it...

BRING IT BACK PLEASE.
    Edit Signature.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    They gave back it to Demon Hunter tanks.

Which had it since Warcraft 3, just like metamorphosis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    And to fire mages. Just like they took our GoSac effect and gave it to MM hunters and frost mages. Just like they took metamorphosis and gave it to demon hunters and shadow priests. Etc. etc.

The design goal in Legion was to take away stuff from warlocks and give it to the other classes instead. Because f*** warlocks.
    Last edited by Uzkin; 2017-05-05 at 11:05 AM.

I also miss it. And I mean the initial version which really set you on fire @ max burning embers. Not the toned-down version that came afterwards.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post

Which had it since Warcraft 3, just like metamorphosis.

yeah and we had Metamorphosis since Wotlk to WoD. Those are more years with Meta than DH's. Many warlocks started to play as warlocks just because of this. It is also a warlock thing just as mutch as Demonhunter thing.
    Btw baseing things on Warcraft 3 now is just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not turn this into another Metamorphosis thing... >_>

As for why they decided to kill Destruction visuals - go ask Fuzzycostas, I suspect it was another victim of that Class Fantasy catastrophe, which pretty much amounted to taking a bunch of warlock stuff and giving it off to other classes, while rigging Destruction with a bunch of awkwardness like Life Tap and pets being mandatory and turning Demo into glorified Imp Mother.

Guess here it was - you no longer have Burning Embers, so you ain't burning anymore.

Thankfully they seem to be slowly coming back to their senses seeing floating shards glyphs making it for 7.2.5, though yet remains to be seen how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

As for why they decided to kill Destruction visuals - go ask Fuzzycostas, I suspect it was another victim of that Class Fantasy catastrophe, which pretty much amounted to taking a bunch of warlock stuff and giving it off to other classes, while rigging Destruction with a bunch of awkwardness like Life Tap and pets being mandatory and turning Demo into glorified Imp Mother.

Guess here it was - you no longer have Burning Embers, so you ain't burning anymore.

Thankfully they seem to be slowly coming back to their senses seeing floating shards glyphs making it for 7.2.5, though yet remains to be seen how it looks.
    Burning Embers along with the visual element were pretty much spot on for Destro fantasy

7+ Year Old Account

Agreed. But These shards are not as strong as Embers. They do not stack 4 chaosbolts in a "battery" You cant instant summon pets with them nor can you embertab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    Burning Embers along with the visual element were pretty much spot on for Destro fantasy
    Times change, now it's Soul Shards and they ain't burning, tho I have no idea how we get those by frikkin' burning our targets to crisp, but well - class fantasy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Times change, now it's Soul Shards and they ain't burning, tho I have no idea how we get those by frikkin' burning our targets to crisp, but well - class fantasy.
    Guess we will just have to stay strong! But Im no fan of this xpac at all!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaccloud View Post
    Guess we will just have to stay strong! But Im no fan of this xpac at all!
    I actually like this expansion very much, the only thing I have a love/hate relationship with their whole class fantasy thing - on one hand it's really great they actually sat down and did some hard thinking and work on making classes distinct thematically and propped up by Class Orders, which IMO is a fantastic idea to show people what being class X means as well as get lore injection to such core thing as classes ingame.

But the flipside that bit Warlocks hard, especially Destruction, IMO, is the whole redistribution of visual wealth and what's more important - awkward gameplay mechanics choices which happened not because they were needed, but because that's what being warlock is supposed to mean in Blizz vision - i.e. Life Tap for Destruction, removal of Burning Embers for Soul Shards and of course this whole forced pet nonsense.

Then of course there were general bad choices like making Havoc what it is, which inevitably resulted in whole spec dragged down everywhere else.

On the other hand, I do think Lord of Flames and Rifts are legit great additions that seriously prop up our opening burst, which was weak in WoD, and hey we got the coolest artifact we could possibly have and its acquisition quest was cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    I also miss it. And I mean the initial version which really set you on fire @ max burning embers. Not the toned-down version that came afterwards.
    I know man and back then I thought my pc fucked up or something.
    Edit Signature.

The hilarious part is destro didn't need many changes from WoD and it was changes just for the sake of changing it. If anything it needed a few tweaks and something to make it a bit more mobile, at least when there was shadowburn sniping (without a cd or having to take a talent) the spec felt more engaging.

But ya, it's weird the emphasis was on class fantasy and visually they took it away from destruction. At least we get glyphs that will hopefully make it look similar to how it was soon, I just wish it didn't take a lot of work on the part of the devs just to get the spec close to how it used to look and feel.
    Last edited by Gohzerlock; 2017-05-06 at 12:45 AM.

Man I miss my MoP Destro mechanics. And the devs seem determined to keep from going back in that direction at every possible angle, even though all signs point to it being the right direction. I don't get the hesitation, besides it being a matter of pure ego.
    "Warlocks are the class that gives

we give all our spells and abilities to other classes"

- Bamboozer, from the Official WoW Warlock Forum

I keep searching for an explanation regarding this but cant find any
    Edit Signature.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no explanation. They changed things and removed many of our visual effects. Bad game design, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roujeaux View Post
    Man I miss my MoP Destro mechanics. And the devs seem determined to keep from going back in that direction at every possible angle, even though all signs point to it being the right direction. I don't get the hesitation, besides it being a matter of pure ego.
    yeah you just want to be broken again.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    yeah you just want to be broken again.
    People keep saying this... and it wasn't true. We were overtuned, not broken, two very different concepts. Mechanically, thematically, visually, etc, we were near perfection, but that doesn't mean we were broken, that just means the spec was increadibly well thought and designed. In fact, we were just middle ok-ish until we got the buff for the Siege of Orgrimmar patch, and that caused us to be overtuned, which, also combined with many bosses that we could benefit from due to their mechanics, it caused us to look like we were broken. If we dealt bad to mid dps, nobody would ever say we were broken, even with the same exact mechanics.

Bump!

Bring it back for Bfa!
    Edit Signature.

I can't remember past expacs much. Are we just talking about an animation or actually doing damage at melee? I can't stand abilities that make you run in and then have to get out again as you can cause some kinda ranged mechanic to screw over others. If only an animation then I don't care much for that kinda thing.