10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    know what sucks about saturday night? i have to sit through 2 fucking days (sunday/monday) of absolute jack and shit for shows to watch.
    meanwhile I'm at 15 eps to go through still...
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    meanwhile I'm at 15 eps to go through still...
    good thing you have 2 whole days of shit shows to catch up then huh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Umineko Manga 07/08 -

Spoiler: 
    Really, Yasu is honestly one of my favourite characters of all time. The confession was fucking heartbreaking. I honestly really respect Genji for standing beside Yasu when it came to it.

The elaborated explanations were pretty cool too, particularly that battle between Battler vs Erika where the 5th game was explained.

I do have an issue with the 4th game, though. I feel like this scenario is sort of absurd. It's hard to believe they all could be bribed. More than that, I feel like they would have eventually tried to turn the tables once more people started dying. Especially Kyrie. Why didn't she reveal everything to Battler on that last phone call? It doesn't make much sense imo.

I did like the reveal about the nature of Jessica/George's little challenge during the confession though.

Another issue I have is about Kyrie in general. In the end, while I can accept the faults of everyone else (even Rosa who is still kind of a really shitty person), Kyrie just flat out states she doesn't love Ange during the 7th tea party. Since we know Rudolf/Kyrie really did kill everyone, does that mean Kyrie also actually said what she said? It's hard to imagine considering how repentant everyone was during the 8th chapter. The only way it makes sense is if Bern fabricated part of the vision to make Kyrie seem extra bad in front of Ange... at least that's what I choose to believe.

Regardless, it was still a fun ride. I think I liked the art of the seventh more than I did the eighth, but both had some really great panels.

Umineko is amazing. It's definitely one of my favourite pieces of fiction. And it's really hooked me on mysteries, I already read Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' and John Dickson Carr's 'The Hollow Man'.

I also read that long interview Ryukishi07 did right after the final chapter of the VN was released, and it was interesting to see his perspective. Honestly with all the different writers being taken in to work on the Fate franchise (the latest being Narita), I'd love to see him write something in it. But maybe that's just because I want best girl Beatrice as Caster.

- - - Updated - - -

also this girl is a qt too

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Eromanga-sensei 05 - This show is completely degenerate. It is basically everything that is wrong with anime thrown into a single show, and panders to the worst type of anime fan.

I love it.
    yeah that's kinda how i view it. don't love it though and it's a bit cringey

10+ Year Old Account
    Eromanga-sensei 05 - This show is completely degenerate. It is basically everything that is wrong with anime thrown into a single show, and panders to the worst type of anime fan.

I love it.
    It's so fucking good, anyone who says otherwise is wrong. and they have shit taste

Umineko Manga 07/08 -

Spoiler: 
    Really, Yasu is honestly one of my favourite characters of all time. The confession was fucking heartbreaking. I honestly really respect Genji for standing beside Yasu when it came to it.

The elaborated explanations were pretty cool too, particularly that battle between Battler vs Erika where the 5th game was explained.

I do have an issue with the 4th game, though. I feel like this scenario is sort of absurd. It's hard to believe they all could be bribed. More than that, I feel like they would have eventually tried to turn the tables once more people started dying. Especially Kyrie. Why didn't she reveal everything to Battler on that last phone call? It doesn't make much sense imo.

I did like the reveal about the nature of Jessica/George's little challenge during the confession though.

Another issue I have is about Kyrie in general. In the end, while I can accept the faults of everyone else (even Rosa who is still kind of a really shitty person), Kyrie just flat out states she doesn't love Ange during the 7th tea party. Since we know Rudolf/Kyrie really did kill everyone, does that mean Kyrie also actually said what she said? It's hard to imagine considering how repentant everyone was during the 8th chapter. The only way it makes sense is if Bern fabricated part of the vision to make Kyrie seem extra bad in front of Ange... at least that's what I choose to believe.

Regardless, it was still a fun ride. I think I liked the art of the seventh more than I did the eighth, but both had some really great panels.

Umineko is amazing. It's definitely one of my favourite pieces of fiction. And it's really hooked me on mysteries, I already read Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' and John Dickson Carr's 'The Hollow Man'.

I also read that long interview Ryukishi07 did right after the final chapter of the VN was released, and it was interesting to see his perspective. Honestly with all the different writers being taken in to work on the Fate franchise (the latest being Narita), I'd love to see him write something in it. But maybe that's just because I want best girl Beatrice as Caster.

- - - Updated - - -

also this girl is a qt too

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EFTBAAS.jpg[IMG]
    Spoiler: 

I don't think Kyrie would care about more people dying. For Yasu, she just had to make that one phone call. I agree though, it's really bizarre. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the phone calls that well. There was a dying phone call from her right? There's a good chance that that was fake too and she was supposed to fake death but Yasu just killed her off after that.

The rest of them were most likely killed before they could turn on Yasu. The order of the murders in the 4th episode is really shady and you can't really tell who died first because of the nature of the story. You can only tell when they were last alive.

There's a reason episode 4 is one of my least favourites out of the 8.

As for 7th game's tea party, it's really hard to say what's true and what's not but all thing considered, it might have very well been true. 8th arc as a whole was a healing arc for Ange. Besides, Pieces, meta characters and "Rokkenjima prime" characters are all different. It's kind of annoying really to think about Kyrie. She might have hated Ange, she might have said that only because she was on a killing rampage. Maybe she was just a bitch, maybe she wanted to be hated and loathed just to make things easier. Maybe all of it was true. Interpretation is really up to you in the end for Umineko.

For the 8th episode though, Ange had to get past that. It was sort of coping thing for Ange. Her coming to terms with the fact that her entire family was murdered by her own mother and father. Her choosing to remember the good and the warm memories of her family instead of the ugly ones even if the warm and good memories were in fact fake. It's a remember the good things, don't wallow in the bad things kind of thing, right?
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2017-05-07 at 06:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    I heard there were thighs here?
    The fuck are you doing here. You should be dead like Diglett and Skeli.

You disrespect their deaths.

oh, 4 new pages overnight
    Spoiler: 

fucking perverts

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    It's easy to watch every week for that reason. I just wish they toned down the nonsense info dumps.
    I feel like Meteora should let other characters speak too sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once upon a time we had like... 20 pages per night...

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Once upon a time we had like... 20 pages per night...
    And then we all started growing up and having jobs...and Discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    oh, 4 new pages overnight
    Spoiler: 

fucking perverts

I feel like Meteora should let other characters speak too sometimes.
    there was a time when we would have 20 pages in a day and i just gave up trying to keep caught up.

and whats wrong with thighs? and whats wrong with being perverted?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    i donno about that

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    there was a time when we would have 20 pages in a day and i just gave up trying to keep caught up.
    and whats wrong with thighs? and whats wrong with being perverted?
    looks like I missed out on quite a lot of fun, huh?
    whats wrong with thighs - thigh pics are poor man's hip pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    looks like I missed out on quite a lot of fun, huh?
    whats wrong with thighs - thigh pics are poor man's hip pics
    You can always go back and read the thread if you want, not that I would recommend it. But yeah thread's history has a bunch of incredibly entertaining occurrences including weekly relationship fights between posters. You'd probably be able to laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    Spoiler: 

I don't think Kyrie would care about more people dying. For Yasu, she just had to make that one phone call. I agree though, it's really bizarre. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the phone calls that well. There was a dying phone call from her right? There's a good chance that that was fake too and she was supposed to fake death but Yasu just killed her off after that.

The rest of them were most likely killed before they could turn on Yasu. The order of the murders in the 4th episode is really shady and you can't really tell who died first because of the nature of the story. You can only tell when they were last alive.

There's a reason episode 4 is one of my least favourites out of the 8.

As for 7th game's tea party, it's really hard to say what's true and what's not but all thing considered, it might have very well been true. 8th arc as a whole was a healing arc for Ange. Besides, Pieces, meta characters and "Rokkenjima prime" characters are all different. It's kind of annoying really to think about Kyrie. She might have hated Ange, she might have said that only because she was on a killing rampage. Maybe she was just a bitch, maybe she wanted to be hated and loathed just to make things easier. Maybe all of it was true. Interpretation is really up to you in the end for Umineko.

For the 8th episode though, Ange had to get past that. It was sort of coping thing for Ange. Her coming to terms with the fact that her entire family was murdered by her own mother and father. Her choosing to remember the good and the warm memories of her family instead of the ugly ones even if the warm and good memories were in fact fake. It's a remember the good things, don't wallow in the bad things kind of thing, right?
    Umineko 07/08 - Now that I think about it, Kyrie essentially broke down crying when she realized she had viewed Battler poorly this entire time despite him being her child. So it's kind of hard to believe what 7th game Kyrie said is true. At least some version of her must have truly loved Ange.

Maybe she just said that to anger Eva into making a mistake, or maybe she had just gone so far off the deep end during the murders that she was just lying to herself about how she actually viewed Ange. In the end, yeah, it's all up to interpretation.

Umineko 07/08 - Now that I think about it, Kyrie essentially broke down crying when she realized she had viewed Battler poorly this entire time despite him being her child. So it's kind of hard to believe what 7th game Kyrie said is true. At least some version of her must have truly loved Ange.

Maybe she just said that to anger Eva into making a mistake, or maybe she had just gone so far off the deep end during the murders that she was just lying to herself about how she actually viewed Ange. In the end, yeah, it's all up to interpretation.
    It's much nicer to just think that she did actually love Ange but was just trying to bait Eva. Her words might have had some truth in it in the sense that she most likely indeed viewed Ange as a tool to bind Rudolf initially.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Recently I left for work an hour early to get a haircut on the way. When I realised what that meant I wept silently for a minute.

growing up is overrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    tsuki ga kirei 5 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I was fine with hira but not chinatsu ='(
    [CENTER]

Note: I have not read the manga. My praise or criticisms could very well be modified by future information, but for now I write on what I have experienced. Also stole a few screenshots from S2.

Attack on Titan – 6.5-7/10

Attack on Titan is a series that requires no introduction; like or hate it, it is one of the most spectacularly successful anime to ever be released. As such it is subjected to constant criticism and pointed hatred. The process that contemporary popular series go through in the anime community is so reliable that I facetiously suggest that there must be predetermined stages:

• Denial: The initial hype begins and long-time anime viewers refuse to believe that it will last, citing the overall mediocrity of the series compared to their own favorites.
    • Anger: The enthusiasm continues to build among the larger fanbase, which only intensifies the disgust. After all, why isn’t my favorite show this popular?
    • Arguing: In an attempt to curtail the mounting, one-sided worship of the series the dissenters become more and more vocal with their criticisms. Both sides begin to polarize, tending toward the Love It or Hate It camps.
    • Depression: Finally, it sinks in that the series isn’t going anywhere, and that people will continue to like it no matter how many times it is compared negatively to Cowboy Bebop. Clearly anime is going downhill.
    • Acceptance: Given time, the situation cools down and it becomes acceptable to say that in spite of your clearly superior standards, you did sort of enjoy watching it…but only just a little…

I write this review several years after the series previewed, as the second season continues to air. Attack on Titan as a dark action-drama is still the standard by which similar series are judged. I would argue that this is for good reason, and that there are many elements which have not been equaled since. This does not excuse its flaws, which are significant, but if you’re just in it for the ride, Attack on Titan does deliver.

Aww hell…

The Good:
    What forms the solid foundation of Attack on Titan are its mysteries. From the beginning, there is one overwhelming question: what are the Titans and where did they come from? They have completely ruined human civilization, forcing the traumatized survivors to huddle behind their equally-inexplicable walls, and yet humanity still has no answer for their existence. The mystery only deepens with more details: Titans are lighter than they should be for their size, they lack any method of reproduction, they only hunt humans but do not actually require them for sustenance, and are unaffected by all harm except to the nape of their neck. These problems are presented to us organically and create an air of confused urgency: the answer may be out there, and it may be the salvation of mankind, but it may just as well yield nothing.

This brings us to the titans themselves. Their presentation is one that straddles the mindlessness of zombies and the vitality of predators, with just a hint of the insane in their behavior. They are deranged idiots, so closely resembling us yet so alien at the same time. Without knowing why they do what they do, their actions are unpredictable and therefore all the more terrifying.

On top of this, the titans are horrifying for one other reason: they eat us. This fate, the fate of succumbing to a creature larger and stronger than us, to in turn be devoured, is the most primal of fears. Some of Attack on Titan’s greatest, and most disturbing, scenes are when people are caught and see the mouth opening in front of them. In that moment intelligence, bravery, and virtue evaporate in the face of unbounded terror. People scream, they beg, they flail…and then they die. This inevitability, taken together with their cryptic nature, is what causes the titans to be such compelling monsters despite their patently ridiculous appearance and behavior.

Seemed like a nice place to live...

Appreciable detail is also given to the overall world. There is a clear geography, consistent architecture, some history, and of course the iconic 3D maneuvering gear. We are often given small glimpses into the logistics of the army as well, such as refilling gas canisters or loading up supply carts for different groups. These operations are usually supplemented by small vignettes in the middle of each episode, adding a further sense that the details of the world continue deeper.

Finally, there’s the hype. There isn’t much to say here: the direction is bombastic, but when it comes to Attack on Titan it works. The sheer scale of the action coupled with the operatic vocal music and intensity of the imagery comes together to create moments that are simply satisfying.

Our Three Exciting Heroes

The Bad:
    Attack on Titan is great when it stays in the realm of action, but when it ventures into the human sphere it degenerates into pure melodrama. The directing style that serves it so well in combat is simply ridiculous when used for human interactions. Every character, when saying something of importance, MUST SHOUT IT AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. The camera will zoom in uncomfortably, and the audience is given the sense that somebody is screaming directly in our face. There is not even the slightest shred of subtlety.

This also applies to the characters themselves, who have no depth to speak of. Eren is our good old fueled-by-emotion male protagonist, Mikasa takes on the emotionally-blank girl role that seems to be necessary since NGE, and Armin’s job is to whine. These people exist solely to fuel the action; they never have a development that doesn’t involve advancing the plot toward more titans. Any sort of resolution, such as Mikasa ending up with Eren will likely be part of the denouement as a way of giving fans what they want in the end. The side characters are also forgettable, with no real function except to feed into our main trio or become titan fodder.

Because of these weaknesses, the parts of the series between the major action moments tend to drag. After a while it becomes obvious that nothing interesting is going to happen when only humans are talking on screen, and we must content ourselves to waiting until the next titan encounter. This is made worse because the mysteries I praised at the beginning of the review are never given closure, so many of the conversations boil down to, “Well, we still don’t know anything. BUT WE’RE REALLY EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT.” Strangely, I am more forgiving with regards to Attack on Titan for its lack of closure, a point I am normally a stickler on. I have no defensible reason for this lapse in rigor, but I felt placated knowing that the story was continuing.

Last edited by Neichus; 2017-05-07 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Recently I left for work an hour early to get a haircut on the way. When I realised what that meant I wept silently for a minute.
    Just do what I do.
    Never get a haircut.