Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Actually a good idea. Apparently worked with "The Dome" - though I wasn't a fan of it
    Getting a series on a premium channel like HBO means we could actually get all the gritty dark not PG-13 stuff this movie is going to give us.

And that says a lot since outside of one demon rape (a very short part in book III I believe)in DT. Would have a whole hell of a lot less rapey'ness than Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Getting a series on a premium channel like HBO means we could actually get all the gritty dark not PG-13 stuff this movie is going to give us.

And that says a lot since outside of one demon rape (a very short part in book III I believe)in DT. Would have a whole hell of a lot less rapey'ness than Game of Thrones.
    really the only thing not allowed in pg13 these days is sex. if game of thrones cut all of the sex and nudity out it would easily be pg13
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Also Ian McShane would have been like 100% more cool as the man in black. lol
    Or as Father Callahan in a later movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthat View Post
    Or as Father Callahan in a later movie.
    The ONLY person to even consider playing the Man in Black, IMO, is Callum Keith Rennie. Ian McShane would be excellent as Callahan though.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Ugh that looks like such a generic pile of shit. I had no hopes and I am still disappointed, how sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I read this series a good 8 years ago, but even so I'm not too impressed. I think Elba is a decent choice and don't have much of a problem with him (and since it's a sequel, it works within the series's universe). But it seems to have too much pew-pew and not enough of the quirky and weird elements that made the books rather unique. And since the setting of the books is way, way too dense for a movie to include even only the important parts, tons of said unique elements will be slashed off, so we risk having a fairly barebones ''Badass dude protects child until The Quest is done, roll credits'' story. This would probably have worked better as a series on Netflix or something.

The dialog also seemed very meh, apart from the recitation of the creed at the end that I liked.

I don't have a problem with Roland being a super-skilled shooter, since that's his shtick, but the unnecessary gun-fu shots are still a bit over the top. I pictured him as someone who's superhumanly accurate and efficient, as we actually see with the last cut when he headshots the guy through several obstacles. That's a proper Gunslinger thing. Not doing a couple backflips before throwing his bullets in the air to reload.

That said I actually like that the Crimson King isn't in this (apparently). He was such a massive disappointment. The Man in Black is a better villain. Hopefully he doesn't get offed anticlimactically.

i would wait for reviews to come in before deciding it doesnt have any of the weird or quirky dark tower stuff. the execs who cut the trailers are going to push this as actiony as possible because thats what draws people in.

like how crimson peak was presented as a horror movie with jump scares in all of the trailers even though its not horror at all but old school gothic horror, theyre gonna present it in the way they think will make the most money but as far as the action goes i dont agree with the people who dont feel like anything in it was out of place. even on earth i remember eddie and whatnot always remarking rolands god like speed at shooting and reloading despite his guns looking huge and old almost to the point of non functioning (granted his guns arent that big in the movie)

- - - Updated - - -

this is also a roland with both hands, since in this timeline he shouldnt lose his hands since the man in black escapes and he never gets caught off guard by the crabs
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    this is also a roland with both hands, since in this timeline he shouldnt lose his hands since the man in black escapes and he never gets caught off guard by the crabs

Sorry can't help it. He loses fingers, not hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Isn't him being white something that is relevant due to some racist woman later on?
    Yup but they might make her white because only white people can be racists.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Sorry can't help it. He loses fingers, not hands.
    Atleast he masturbates with the other one :P

Eh. The trailer looked a little lame. Though I did think Elba and McConaughey looked quite good- they cut a good figure, as the Hollywood saying goes.

There's still old man rheumatism to worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Yup but they might make her white because only white people can be racists.
    That's not actually true, and whilst using a white actor to play Detta/Odetta/Susannah might solve inconsistencies to do with her relationship with Roland it would lead to even more dramatic changes by taking away her place as a black civil rights activist in the 60s.

They could probably tell pretty much the same story with Detta just being racist towards Jake and Eddie, and as someone else has described earlier having her see Roland as an "Uncle Tom" could add an extra dimension to the conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Technically that wasn't the Dry Twist he had to deal with. It was something a bit more... Convoluted XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The movie will NOT feature Eddy or Susannah.... how can you try to make a movie that covers atleast Susan Delgado but not 2 of massive lead characters this series had? What ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    The movie will NOT feature Eddy or Susannah.... how can you try to make a movie that covers atleast Susan Delgado but not 2 of massive lead characters this series had? What ?
    they werent in the first book, this is the first movie. the wizard and glass stuff isnt in this movie, its in the tv show that will take place after this movie with roland telling jake about his past.

you dont exactly need susan and eddie for roland to tell a story. susan and eddie will probably be in the sequel if it does well

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's not actually true, and whilst using a white actor to play Detta/Odetta/Susannah might solve inconsistencies to do with her relationship with Roland it would lead to even more dramatic changes by taking away her place as a black civil rights activist in the 60s.

They could probably tell pretty much the same story with Detta just being racist towards Jake and Eddie, and as someone else has described earlier having her see Roland as an "Uncle Tom" could add an extra dimension to the conflict.
    I'm not too worried about them straying from the story since they seem to be just mixing and matching whatever they want. Since they seem to jumping straight into Drawing of Three Roland having enough fingers to shoot 2 guns at the same time seems to kill that.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I'm not too worried about them straying from the story since they seem to be just mixing and matching whatever they want. Since they seem to jumping straight into Drawing of Three Roland having enough fingers to shoot 2 guns at the same time seems to kill that.
    because this is a sequel not an adaption.

he doesnt let jake die in this version. instead of continuing to follow the man in black and let jack fall the man in black gets away and jake lives, this is the version where roland does everything right and doesnt sacrifice everything for his goal

they werent in the first book, this is the first movie. the wizard and glass stuff isnt in this movie, its in the tv show that will take place after this movie with roland telling jake about his past.

you dont exactly need susan and eddie for roland to tell a story. susan and eddie will probably be in the sequel if it does well
    Then why is Susan Delgado's story being covered in the movie ? Also the house Jake used to return to That world was used in the 2nd book not the first. You also say that this is a different version where he doesnt sacrifice everything? Then to me this is not The Dark Tower.... there is no other version then the one the movie writers came up with now. Not what Stephen King wrote and what people expect to see....

To many its looking like they are taking the best parts from the first couple of books and smashed that together into 1 movie

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    Then why is Susan Delgado's story being covered in the movie ? Also the house Jake used to return to That world was used in the 2nd book not the first. You also say that this is a different version where he doesnt sacrifice everything? Then to me this is not The Dark Tower.... there is no other version then the one the movie writers came up with now. Not what Stephen King wrote and what people expect to see....

To many its looking like they are taking the best parts from the first couple of books and smashed that together into 1 movie
    Her story isn't being covered in the movie. Did you not read the ending of the books? Roland's gone on his journey 19 times by the time of the books and after he gets to the top of the tower, because he tried to sacrifice himself for Jake when they went to go get Stephen King and because he finally actually cared this time when everything reset Roland has the horn of eld and this is his final journey.

This ISNT an adaption, this movie Literally picks up right where the last book ended with Roland carrying the horn and chasing the man in Black across the desert this time for the last time because this time when he reaches the tower he'll blow the horn and it will actually truly open for him instead of damning him to continue his lessons

I have no problem with Elba. He looks fine as the gunslinger. It looks like they are changing the gunslingers character too much though. They making him more heroic. In the books, Roland is obsessed with the tower and will sacrifice anyone to get to it. I would bet the movie doesn't have the part where the gunslinger lets Jake fall. It looks like they changed the man in black, Walter to something different than the books also. In the books Walter is sneaky and manipulative. He doesn't appear to be like this in this movie. I would much rather that they had more villains in the movie like the tick tock man and Gasher. It looks like the lightened up the movie compared to the books. They made Roland into the typical hero and Walter into the typical villain.