Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I have no problem with Elba. He looks fine as the gunslinger. It looks like they are changing the gunslingers character too much though. They making him more heroic. In the books, Roland is obsessed with the tower and will sacrifice anyone to get to it. I would bet the movie doesn't have the part where the gunslinger lets Jake fall. It looks like they changed the man in black, Walter to something different than the books also. In the books Walter is sneaky and manipulative. He doesn't appear to be like this in this movie. I would much rather that they had more villains in the movie like the tick tock man and Gasher. It looks like the lightened up the movie compared to the books. They made Roland into the typical hero and Walter into the typical villain.
    thats because this is rolands last journey. its been awhile since i read the books but i remember a line in either wolfs of the calla or song of Susannah where hes training or watching jake and the others train and he thinks to himself that he could almost stop going after the tower if he could just stay there with his new family that maybe that would be enough for him and then later on he even with no thought to his own safety almost sacrifices his own life to save jake from getting crushed by the van. roland grew alot in his last journey, he was even heartbroken when oy sacrificed himself fighting mordred to save him.

you guys all saying roland was cold and sacrificed everything and he did but that was him at the BEGINNING of his journey and this movie takes place at the end of it.

it would go against all the character development and change roland went through if he just went back to being the same old bitter heartless gunslinger

of course hes not going to let jake fall, by the end of the books roland regrets sacrificing everything, at that point in his story if he could go back and save jake he wouldve never let him drop this time.

- - - Updated - - -

also flagg acts pretty different in all the worlds he shows up in. my view of flagg is that of a swaggy douchelord who just goes around fucking with people and i feel like McConaughey is kind of perfect for a character like that as hes very swaggy and can pull off that air of arrogance that flagg has. the only thing im disappointed about is he doesnt have his buttons

- - - Updated - - -

also i hope they can keep him for the stand movie
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

where does it say its the last journey ? I didnt see it anywhere ? Or are you just projecten whatever you hope it to be so you dont see the upcomming failure? And yes i did read the books and it was also never said that his next journey would be the last.....
    Last edited by Raleina; 2017-05-08 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    where does it say its the last journey ? I didnt see it anywhere ? Or are you just projecten whatever you hope it to be so you dont see the upcomming failure? And yes i did read the books and it was also never said that his next journey would be the last.....
    https://twitter.com/StephenKing/stat...from-nitpickin

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    he has the horn of eld in the movie. the entire reason the tower never truly let him get to the top and kept sending him back to redo his journey is because he is supposed to blow the horn to open the door to the tower, it is the horn of king arthur eld and roland left the horn to rot after the battle at jericho just like all of his friends even though it was cuthberts dying wish for roland to come back and get the horn after he died. in his last cycle instead of ignoring his friends and family he cares enough about them to go back and get the horn after the battle.

the horn symbolizes all the people roland has let die in pursuit of his own goals, king has talked about this alot, the fact that roland has the horn at the end of his journey symbolizes that roland has grown as a person, he is now worthy of the line of eld

- - - Updated - - -

or, as king would put it, "this time he has not forgotten the face of his father"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I have no problem with Elba. He looks fine as the gunslinger. It looks like they are changing the gunslingers character too much though. They making him more heroic. In the books, Roland is obsessed with the tower and will sacrifice anyone to get to it. I would bet the movie doesn't have the part where the gunslinger lets Jake fall. It looks like they changed the man in black, Walter to something different than the books also. In the books Walter is sneaky and manipulative. He doesn't appear to be like this in this movie. I would much rather that they had more villains in the movie like the tick tock man and Gasher. It looks like the lightened up the movie compared to the books. They made Roland into the typical hero and Walter into the typical villain.
    Isn't the point of the "final cycle" so to speak that he wouldn't let Jake fall? That he wouldn't sacrifice anything for the Tower? That he actually becomes the good person worthy of the Tower?

That's how I always interpreted it.

Of course, that could lead to some crazy endings in this new, final cycle. Like, an ending where he fails. Where he can't open the Tower. Or where he has to give up the Tower, to be that good man. But of course, no Hollywood movie is going to follow that course.

It is discussed that the horn is only one of many fuck ups Roland must redo for a final cycle.

As previous poster pointed out, not letting Jake drop is another.

Not allowing Sheemie to kill himself teleporting them could be another. (or basically getting killed during the Devoir-Toi battle due to infection)

Not abandoning Patrick at the end could be yet another.

Hell he could have screwed himself all the way back in Tull killing Alice the whore.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-05-09 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    It is discussed that the horn is only one of many fuck ups Roland must redo for a final cycle.

As previous poster pointed out, not letting Jake drop is another.

Not allowing Sheemie to kill himself teleporting them could be another. (or basically getting killed during the Devoir-Toi battle due to infection)

Not abandoning Patrick at the end could be yet another.

Hell he could have screwed himself all the way back in Tull killing Alice the whore.
    Of all the deaths, Alice is one of the ones I'd give him a pass for. Mainly because he's being ambushed, attacked from all sides, people yelling and screaming, and she jumps out of a building at him.. albeit held by someone else as a shield. His entire being is "shoot first, act later" in those kinds of situations; he's a trained fighter in a fight, and it's noted several times that his hands do what they do quicker than he can think about it. If the Tower was laying judgement for that it's far more likely to fall on Nort than Roland... if not MiB / Preacher-lady (I can't think of her name @_@) for inciting the whole thing.

Remember the face of your father.

I'm looking forward to this. My friend and I just finished reading the entire series and we're pumped to see the final cycle on the big screen!

Saw the trailer for it, wasn't really too breath taking or "wow"ing, just.. average, but we'll have to see with the release.

New extended trailer, and a release date for August 4th:

Ugh still not sure how I feel about the michael bay style revolver gunplay.

Those reloads are just -_- as someone who actually is quite intimate with firearms and how they function.

Then again almost all action movies with guns are ruined permanently for me because of this. =/

Those reloads are just -_- as someone who actually is quite intimate with firearms and how they function.

Then again almost all action movies with guns are ruined permanently for me because of this. =/
    John Wick brought a tear to my eye when he tugged on a magazine to make sure it was fully seated.

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with the whole "loading of the gun by throwing the bullets in the air" thing myself.

Just when I think I'm over certain things with this movie, something else pops up.

Then again, almost anything with King's name on it these days has me hesitant. Hated what they did with Under the Dome. I did like 11/22/63 though and It looks like it'll be decent.
    Last edited by taheen74; 2017-07-20 at 11:10 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

I mean the main thing about his guns that kill it for me are his unlimited supply of moon clips.

No such thing existed in the book. That was part of why he was a master at what he did, his ability to reload by hand quickly.

Not to mistake "quickly" with "marvel superhero speed" they seem to have adopted in this movie.

I mean the main thing about his guns that kill it for me are his unlimited supply of moon clips.

No such thing existed in the book. That was part of why he was a master at what he did, his ability to reload by hand quickly.

Not to mistake "quickly" with "marvel superhero speed" they seem to have adopted in this movie.
    Yeah, that was like the first thing he was worried about in the second book: the bullets. Not the lobstrosities, but his ammo. He didn't have an unlimited supply (I don't think he had an unlimited supply after the second book either).
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

The problem is, how do you do that in a movie? The books suggested it was almost preternaturally quick how fast Roland reloaded, I think there's one clip of Idris in a trailer actually loading 6 in a second and it just looks slow compared to what you imagine Roland to be.

And the ammo thing I think is going to be addressed per one of the trailers. At some point in a trailer he asks Jake if they have guns in his world.

Also, I'm not sure lobstrosities are showing up in this movie. This is supposedly a new cycle.

Run time 95min. The author has described the adaptation as 'all killer and no filler'
    This doesn't bode well for the beginning of an expansive universe. I just hope it does well enough that the TV series gets the green light.

Yea an hour and a half. That is just... -_-

There are kids cartoon movies longer than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    so 95 minutes... And at least 45 mins of that seems to be Roland reloading.

Doesn't leave much room for story
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30