Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Pretty much the entire point - the pre-existing conditions and health insurance rate changes simply aren't relevant to Medicare.
    If you're not openly trolling, then you've revealed a great deal of ignorance on what Medicare is and does.

If you're confusing Medicare with Medicaid, I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

In either case, your assertion is either willfully or ignorantly in error. Since you don't want to engage on the actual bill itself; the comparison of ACA and AHCA and the impact on Medicare (specifically) I'm done with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigenn View Post
    If you're not openly trolling, then you've revealed a great deal of ignorance on what Medicare is and does.

If you're confusing Medicare with Medicaid, I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

In either case, your assertion is either willfully or ignorantly in error. Since you don't want to engage on the actual bill itself; the comparison of ACA and AHCA and the impact on Medicare (specifically) I'm done with you.
    This is pretty much backwards. I really don't know what to tell you.

What do you think Medicare covers?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    He stood at the White House on Friday and said ´Today is effectively the end of Obamacare´.

Anyone who knows anything about the US constitution and the current make up and rules of the Senate knows....

1. The Senate must pass their own version of the bill

2. The Senate requires 60 votes to pass a bill, which means not only 100% of Republicans, but 6 or more Democrats

3. Senators are voted on by the entire state they represent, not by jerrymandered districts which means they ´need´ moderate votes to get re-elected. Almost all Senators are much more moderate than the congressman from their state.

4. The Rs have a much smaller majority in the Senate than they do in the House, and in the House they only passed the bill by 1 vote by moving the bill to the right, not to the moderates.

4.5 The OMB will have finished their evaluation of the House Bill by the time the Senate votes on their bill. This will make it impossible for the Senate to even consider parts of the House Bill. Tea Party guys like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are not going to vote for a bill that costs as much as Obamacare yet covers 25M less people and increases the debt.

5. if a Senate bill passes, a few members of the house and senate then get together and write a ´compromise bill´.. But since the House ( and likely) the senate only passed by 1 vote, it means any changes to either bill will make it impossible for the compromise bill to pass either chamber.

6. There are three binary parts to the bill ( medicaid expansion, pre-existing conditions and guaranteed services). No matter which option the compromise bill takes on either of those 3 issues will cause it to be impossible to pass the house and senate at the same time. If they eliminate medicaid expansion, the bill cannot pass the senate, if they keep the medicaid expansion, it cannot pass the house etc. If they keep guaranteed services, it cannot pass the House, if they eliminate guaranteed services, it cannot pass the senate. etc. The $8B fake amendment for pre-existing conditions was meant as a smokescreen for some House Republicans, the Rep Senators won´t fall for it.
    It is ironic that Tea Party will be the ones to sink it, but it is true. But the senate is going to make changes so we have to see what those changes are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    It is ironic that Tea Party will be the ones to sink it, but it is true. But the senate is going to make changes so we have to see what those changes are.
    A few OP ED pieces have suggested, and I'm wondering myself, how many Reps voted for this, knowing it would die (or be mutated beyond recognition) in the Senate? How many voted on principle?

The Byrd rule is a pretty effective deterrent here. As shown verbatim, the bill tries to be low-impact to avoid the Byrd rule. It cuts a lot of taxes on the rich, but problem is, that means the massive loss of coverage, higher premiums, higher deductibles and lower relief as subsidies turn into tax credits. That's why it's so 17% unpopular. That's why the AMA, AARP, and a bunch of others oppose it so strongly. That's why it's being rushed through before the CBO. Removing any of the things that make it toxic, cause it to impact the deficit, and whammo, Byrd rule.