Poll: Would you play a Diablo game like that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should probably just never touch the Diablo franchise again

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Would you play a game in the Diablo universe that was an mmo lite? It would be like Destiny or other games from the emerging Genre. Action combat. Third Person open world with more modern combat. Not hotkey based. Still the same old loot grind. Story. Online pvp, World populated with maybe a couple hundred players. Not a true mmo, but more of the new genre thats being created with the likes of Destiny and the Division.

Think the Witcher meets old Diablo meets destiny.
    So you mean a diablo Hellgate london?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Well, I can't totally disagree with that... But we're not talking about if Isometric is the best game style or not, we're discussing if they should change D3 from an Isometric Dungeon Crawler to a 3rd person RPG.

My answer to that will always be no, because Diablo is a dungeon crawler franchise.

I'd be 100% behind Blizzard if they decided to make a new 3rd person ARPG franchise set in the Diablo Universe, but I just wouldn't want them to call it "Diablo"
    So the problem isn't with my idea, but the name? Thats kinda petty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

A diablo-style mmo where you play in first person with diablo-style loot sounds awesome. Not sure how you would balance ranged versus melee though.
    I wouldn't want it to be an mmo. Open world with sub 300 people sure. Maybe 100 person servers could be good. If it is an mmo, it needs to be more like Destiny and less like an mmo. Also needs to not have a sub fee. Box game with pay to look pretty micro transactions.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't want it to be an mmo. Open world with sub 300 people sure. Maybe 100 person servers could be good. If it is an mmo, it needs to be more like Destiny and less like an mmo. Also needs to not have a sub fee. Box game with pay to look pretty micro transactions.
    dude have you ever played hellgate london. You keep quoting it like a third person diablo. Hellgate london was made by the team that did diablo 2. It was a startup company and they got in over thier heads. Amazing game didnt get enough support. But i would still play hellgate before diablo 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    dude have you ever played hellgate london. You keep quoting it like a third person diablo. Hellgate london was made by the team that did diablo 2. It was a startup company and they got in over thier heads. Amazing game didnt get enough support. But i would still play hellgate before diablo 3.
    I haven't even mentioned it. I only said that it apparently wasn't very fun. It never became popular at least. I for sure didn't quote it anywhere.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    No thank you. The witcher was a horribly boring game. I don't know why so many people like it.
    Dafuq did i just read?
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Deleted
    A game like that sounds fun but i wouldn't want it to be Diablo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's actually not terrible. It may not be revolutionary or perfect but it's not terrible.
    Witcher combat is not even decent. It is a huge let down compared to the rest of the game - clunky, predictable, too easy to master. It definitely wouldn't fit a Diablo game, being a fast paced dungeon crawler (or ARPG in this case). In my opinion the combat style of a game like Bloodborne would be a much better fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you play a game in the Diablo universe that was an mmo lite? It would be like Destiny or other games from the emerging Genre. Action combat. Third Person open world with more modern combat. Not hotkey based. Still the same old loot grind. Story. Online pvp, World populated with maybe a couple hundred players. Not a true mmo, but more of the new genre thats being created with the likes of Destiny and the Division.

You need to explain to me the benefit of having these larger servers with maybe a couple of hundred players compared to the current Diablo system with only one party on a server? Why would I want crowds in a loot grind?

Instead, I will give to you; Diablo meets Bloodborne. Party size limits to 5, 1 party per server, still a loot grind in confined spaces but with options to choose from, bosses should be relentless and take time to master but give huge rewards, pace and combat from Bloodborne, story from Diablo. Arena PvP.

Edit: The combat system of a game like Black Desert Online would also be fitting of the pace needed in a loot grind ARPG (mostly because that is what BDO is).
    Last edited by mmoc4dad2c8c38; 2017-05-08 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Adding ideas

Deleted

For God sake no.

Diablo is isometric and it will die like this.

Instead of fantasize about utopistic change "diablo meet this meet that and that one too" maybe we can hope that Blizzard will see other "crawler arpg" and try to "copy" them?

I mean if you play D3 and then Torchlight 2 or free to play shit like Drakesang Online, there is a fucking ABYSS
    Last edited by mmocbfa8dc246d; 2017-05-08 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    Dafuq did i just read?
    A comment from someone we refer to as "Edgelord" on the interwebz.

Anyway, I don't see what the whole thing has to do with Witcher tbh. The moment you make it MMO you already kill most of things that made the Witcher series good/great games. The whole loot pinata thing doesn't help either. You essentially want, as people have suggested, a Hellgate London that does not suck and frankly, I'd rather stay with normal diablo then, because magic isn't helped by making it 1st person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I doubt blizzard could pull it off. Would be interesting though, but they'd probably try and push the age rating down somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Then how are they going to improve what they have within that genre?
    Well, look at PoE (being in the genre) having a prettymuch obsolete engine and dated graphics, still it's thousands of time more deep and interesting than D3.

D3 has a great engine and awesome combat for sure. Blasting demons is really fun in D3. Too bad everything ends pretty much after reahcing 70 and getting your hands on a set - basically when you start farming GRs and improving legendary gems, you've already seen everything that the game has to offer.

PoE on the other hand has a so vast building system and long-term endgame that can keep you playing for a way longer time.

One could dream, but a game with the combat and polishing of D3 and character/skill/endgame systems from PoE would be insanely awesome.

EDIT: i think the only way to give Diablo franchise a new look, is going the Skyrim way. Game overall easy but scaling with your level, lots of character customization, open world. Though i don't know how to make the combat - fighting alone against literal hordes of demons is what makes the Diablo franchise (and isometric ARPGs in general) fun, a game like Skyrim usually focuses on fighting small packs and the occasional huge boss.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-05-08 at 07:58 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Meh, I think third person games are fun to play through once.

But, for example, I wouldn't want to farm a boss in a soul game repeatedly for lewtz. It would get tedious, fast.
    Some shooters like Destiny and Borderlands can somewhat pull it off, but it really ain't the same. + shooting is pretty different to melee combat.
    So yeah it might work for some kinda spinoff, but it would be far from the main series in what makes it a diablo game.

I could easily support a more mmo'ish version, but even then I think I prefered the D2 Formula to what they have in PoE in that regard

Oh - And what the person just above me said.
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 2017-05-08 at 07:56 AM.

Witcher combat? No thanks. Reinhardt combat? Maybe. Destiny sword and axe style gameplay? Hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Witcher had horrible controls. The game worked becuase of it's world/zone design and ok story but it was in no way amazing.
    Copying the combat would be a bad idea as it was clearly the weakest part of the game.

Destiny is just a generic shooter with horrible story. Not sure what you'd take from this. The first person perspective?

As others have said, this sounds like a Hellgate London and that game really didn't do that well.

Deleted
    The movement in W3 is just downright horrible (both versions of it), and what it does combat-wise, Shadow of Mordor does a quadrillion times better.

As for having a Diablo clone, or rather a new Diablo game, with movement and combat similar to, or even improved from Shadow of Mordor, that could possibly work. For melee combat anyway. Not sure how fun spellcasting and ranged weapons would be though, let alone pet armies.

But yeah... Something like this:

As far as QTEs go, that's plenty bearable.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-05-08 at 09:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. The problem I have with your idea is that Diablo has always been, and should always be, an isometric dungeon crawler game.

My point is that I would happily play a spinoff title that was a standard ARPG set within the same universe, but it shouldn't be billed as the next game in the Diablo Franchise, shouldn't be directly connected to the plot (i.e. you shouldn't play as the Nephalem) and it shouldn't come at the expense of a traditional Diablo game.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're choosing an action RPG to pull combat mechanics from, there are so many better options than the Witcher (even though I think it's a phenomenal game).

I think Bloodborne, Nioh, or Nier: Automata would be better games to pull from.

Destiny Style?

Have you tried Hellgate: London?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny McCormick View Post
    Dafuq did i just read?
    The combat in witcher 3 is pretty boring to be fair, for me it was similar to skyrim in this sense. If you are big on combat you may not be able to play an rpg like ES/Witcher especially when so many RPG elements are removed from character advancement in both games. You play these games mostly for the story and lore.