Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Fun fact: I skipped sex ed. in public schools, its in 9th grade. At the private school I transferred to for HS, its taught in 8th grade.

I dont know how sex woooorks!
    I think in this day and (internet) age, we dont need sex ed. Maybe just safe sex education. Show the kids a couple of pictures of Blue Waffles and thats a mission complete!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'd say people should be expected to pass this to be allowed to vote. But then I'd be called a fascist.
    Would be a good idea, but the constitution only requires you be a citizen. =o[

The founding fathers couldnt think of everything. (or maybe they did, and its why the electoral college is a thing).

I thought this was already a nation-wide policy?

I had to pass a Constitution/Civics test in Jr High AND High School to advance past both in Illinois.

The title of the thread is clickbait as all fuck, but the actual topic seems fine to me. We should be able to pass the same test we give to those who want to become citizens.

My only opinion of this at the moment is that multiple choice tests suck.

I don't really have a problem with this, but how is "who was potus during WW1?" an important question?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

So yeah it'll be interesting to see kids study yet again for another pointless test.
    Knowing who your representatives and your senators are is not pointless information. Nor is knowing how actual laws are passed in this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Most would fail the US American Citizen test. So yeah it'll be interesting to see kids study yet again for another pointless test. Taking away from Algebra, English, and Science classes.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...on-civics-test
    If it is supplementary to AMerican GOvernment classes, its not taking away from anything.

Also knowing how gov't works and who your reps are are kiiiinda important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I think in this day and (internet) age, we dont need sex ed. Maybe just safe sex education. Show the kids a couple of pictures of Blue Waffles and thats a mission complete!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Would be a good idea, but the constitution only requires you be a citizen. =o[

The founding fathers couldnt think of everything. (or maybe they did, and its why the electoral college is a thing).

The Founding Fathers figured that only white male property owners would be voting, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Wow... that practice test is a joke. Got 19/20, would've been 20/20 if I didn't stick with my original answer to one of them.
    I also missed the susan b anthony question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    This should absolutely be a requirement to graduate (its a fricking easy test anyway), just like a proper command of English, math, basic science, world history, etc should be a requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

It is, but I don't remember having a civics class in High School. It was looped in with History, and I believe I learned more from those school house rock cartoons.
    That sounds like a personal issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea, how can California get on board?
    I mean personally speaking I would like my children to be able to answer those 20 questions when they graduate.

As long as this is required of all students as a purely academic exercise, sure. I'm all for ensuring that more folks have a basic understanding of their countries government and basic functions, I continually find folks to be woefully uninformed on the matter (myself included, at times).

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I like the idea, how can California get on board?
    I mean personally speaking I would like my children to be able to answer those 20 questions when they graduate.
    Call your state rep(s) and encourage them to introduce legislation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As long as this is required of all students as a purely academic exercise, sure. I'm all for ensuring that more folks have a basic understanding of their countries government and basic functions, I continually find folks to be woefully uninformed on the matter (myself included, at times).

Call your state rep(s) and encourage them to introduce legislation.
    I can't, his voice mail has been full since the AHCA vote, but that is off topic

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    D: keep me away from copyright
    Can I have the right to cop a feel of dat ass?

I have nothing of actual substance or value to add to this discussion. I'm sorry. No homo.

A little homo.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... they didn't have to already? I had to take two for gov't classes in high school.(one at the beginning of the class and then again at the end to show your progress in understanding how shit works. one point off a perfect score on the first, perfect score on the second.)
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Who would serve as president if the current president and vice president could longer serve?
    How is that knowledge useful in the slightest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    In your day to day life? It's not.

But it's kinda important shit to know about the core functioning of ones government, even if it's an extremely unlikely scenario to ever happen.

I mean, folks could just watch Olympus Has Fallen if they want a boring action movie to teach them about the chain of succession, though (I think that one has the proper chain in the movie, it's been a while since I saw it and it wasn't particularly memorable).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet they put in place a way for people expand and change those rules.
    It would not have been thought by them that the voting public would want every tom, dick, and harriet voting though. Even with voting generally being restricted to white male property owners the Founders felt only the House should actually be directly voted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Seems reasonable enough.
    Agreed, im not sure what the big deal is here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it'll be a huge problem in Texas if a large portion of students can't pass a test they haven't been taught what they need to pass.
    If they paid attention to class the previous 12 years they would have no problem passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Yeah, understanding how your own government works is totally useless

I fail to see how anyone can consider that useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only question I missed was the date of the signing of constitution