Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yeah they're more grim-looking than blood elves or night elves, but I think that's intentional. They're not pretty by any means, but they fit the stereotypical Drow look perfectly; dusky skin, white hair, gaunt frames and sour/unfriendly dispositions with the majority of them not caring for any kind of social contact with someone not of their own race.

Honestly, some of the comments in this thread are pretty funny. To dislike them is one thing, but I mean, since when did them being generally bad people (questionably) mark them off as bad people? Goblins are arguably some of the most wretched and destructive people on Azeroth, and I'm not even going to scratch the surface on Forsaken and worgen both. A lot of the playable races are, to put it kindly, morally questionable. Nightborne by comparison are pretty nice, if a bit xenophobic.

Because drows/dunmer/albae/dark elves were always the most awesome of all races!

Forgotten Realms or any other d&d is the birth of all rpgs and drizzt was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    I don't mind the Elves' use of Arcane Magic, I dislike the Nightborns' obsession with it, but due to aesthetic reasons mostly.

The part of Arcane Magic that deals with heigthened senses, intelligence, knowledge, order, books and all that stuff is interesting. The part that deals with purple energies and missiles manifesting is kinda boring.
    The Nightborn are so obsessed with the Arcane, they not only read their books, improving their intellect and harnessing this energy in times of need -like the Kirin Tor and their flying city or the Ogre Magi etc- they have imbued Arcane energies into the entire city. Everything in Suramar city, the dungeons and the Nighthold is blue and purple, even the leaves of their trees, the water or the color of their panthers; it's just a dark blue mash.

In Teldrassil, unlike Suramar, we see different colors everywhere; the ground is green and brown, the trees are typical trees or with some purple to make them whimsical, there is this white-blue aura emanating from the water, they have those white "moonstone" buildings, and so on.
    In Suramar city, on the other hand, I have a hard time telling if there are mobs in that gazebo or if the elves ahead are guards that will break my illusion, indifferent citizens or nightfallen allies.

The Nightfallen campaign and the Legion's presence in the elven city are cool, I was excited when they announced it, but those elves' culture and the city itself are boring.
    but you realise that was already the case as night elves, and this was common in the night elf empire? you are literally seeing night elf empire culture like it was 10k years ago, if you do archaeology, you find out the highborne like all night elves are obsessed with all things purple. The arcane fascination is also celestial - the stars and moon - which is why if you look at the abilities they use, and the arcane spells, it's all cosmic power, you understand why they call themsleves children of the stars when you see the nightborne. and all those the shal'dorei is a change in name, it's not a change away from kaldorei but more like branching of kaldorei as the star culture and star focus /love is very evident there.

The arcane colour has always been pinkish/purple into white/blue - so variations from pure white to purple after going through pink, and it's the night elf colour. Look at the nightborne and night elves, the colour scheme is purple from dark almost black purple through to grey almost white moon light. Nightborne are on the darker end of the spectrum, night elves on the lighter end. all are purple.

Also suramar buildings are white stone too, they just have colours influencing the look at night.. tell you what fly near the city during the day.. don't enter it, cos the color chagnes, youwill see it from a daylight perspective, and you will nitocice the buildings are white stone too. But as you can see the night elf style of the broken isles is different from that of kalimdor, they simply upgraded it, in all prts, both the ruined parts and hte prisitne part - it's just that side of the night elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Because drows/dunmer/albae/dark elves were always the most awesome of all races!

Forgotten Realms or any other d&d is the birth of all rpgs and drizzt was the best.
    you realize night elves are the wow version of dark elves. Nightborne is a variation of night elf , as they are both nightbased elves, both elves de la noche, elves of the night. just nightborne are the darker tones i had hoped we'd have more off in the night elf skin options.. they made them too light for character creation, butit worked out well,bcasue now the nightborne can have the darker tones.

Deleted

Also this. Drow are incredibly interesting, especially the splinter group who worship Eilistraee, the moon goddess, and thus are not as evil as the majority of Drow is. And there is an associative connection from these Drow to the Suramar rebels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Also suramar buildings are white stone too, they just have colours influencing the look at night.. tell you what fly near the city during the day.. don't enter it, cos the color chagnes, youwill see it from a daylight perspective, and you will nitocice the buildings are white stone too. But as you can see the night elf style of the broken isles is different from that of kalimdor, they simply upgraded it, in all prts, both the ruined parts and hte prisitne part - it's just that side of the night elves.
    Well to be fair, the buildings themselves and the trees are top notch, this is clear in Azsuna and the rest of the Suramar zone. I'm pretty sure that if Suramar city didn't have that dark purple shade and if it had more variation in color, it would be amazing. But right now, when I walk through the valley of the city of Suramar, it's boring.

I mean, this is a typical Night Elf image:

And this is a similar shot of the Nightborne (Thalysra I think):

I understand that this is where the Night Elves come from, but there is clearly a difference in color variation between those too. Notice how both wear jewelry and cosmetics, but they aren't as noticeable on the Nightborne.

The Sundering was a good thing for the Night Elven culture I guess, Night Elves without their Priest, Druid, Warrior and Hunter communities and without their elusiveness and their ability to hide in the shadows wouldn't be that interesting. And that's what the Nighrborn are imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    you realize night elves are the wow version of dark elves. Nightborne is a variation of night elf , as they are both nightbased elves, both elves de la noche, elves of the night. just nightborne are the darker tones i had hoped we'd have more off in the night elf skin options.. they made them too light for character creation, butit worked out well,bcasue now the nightborne can have the darker tones.
    Yeah, but I was thinking more like Night Elves -> Dark Elves and Nightborne -> Drow, like in FR where the dark elves were banished to the underdark and became the drow and getting darker skin.
    Not to mention some of the nightborne morphed into spider like creatures and spiders were always a symbol of the drow.
    But I'm not a professional elves-historican. I just think the Nightborne have more similiarities with Drows from forgotten World like the original Nightelves.

Also I agree the Colors we can pick as nightelves are not enough and dont fit.

Deleted
    Yeah, but I was thinking more like Night Elves -> Dark Elves and Nightborne -> Drow, like in FR where the dark elves were banished to the underdark and became the drow and getting darker skin.
    Not to mention some of the nightborne morphed into spider like creatures and spiders were always a symbol of the drow.
    But I'm not a professional elves-historican. I just think the Nightborne have more similiarities with Drows from forgotten World like the original Nightelves.

While the original Night Elves have the darker hues of skin colour and their affinity to the night in common with the drow, I felt that they are too "feral" to be truly comparable. They also lacked the affinity to spiders, which is also found with the Nightborne.

Night elves remind me more of the wood elves of Warhammer fantasy.

ah.. i get what you were saying soz about that. And it's why i like wow best of all the fantasy game/universes.. they have the most variation. You have 4 types/groups of night elves now, and you have similar with the high elven variations. Some of the groups are politically different, some are racially different altered by magic or death.. whereas in other fantasy settings it was just the one type that had no variation to them at all. Nothing wrong with that ofc, the variation is the other races, but wow goes a degree further.

1. Each race itself is complex, it has multi-facets multi-disciplines, contrasts, compliments etc - e.g. with the nightborne and highborne - not all the night elf kind are druids and priests. With the high/blood elf not all are pristine noble minded, not all are good - some were bad got better, some remain bad etc.. it's itneresting

2. Each race has variations: Look at how many types of orcs there are, and tauren, each of the playable races have actual racial variations too, and they all have something interesting and different their own lore, and

3. the story keeps moving on. many of the other genres, the story and races are stuck in introduction mode, the way they introduced they stay. In wow the race evolve, they gain new skills, new dimensions, they recover old ones, the whole race doesn't change, you just get a break away group or a group that was hidden away or on another planet or continent you now have access too, and things change too, so you get all the things you liked about them still around, and you get new things added that interest new people and different people to them. Like nightborne, now see how many people are into this part of the night elves. where prior to the pretty city and fancy stuff they coudln't be interested - which is one of the reasons i think its important blizz dont' fob them off to the blood elves or the horde, as they are an important part of the night elf total, the arcane side which should exists as its own community, its own people and part of the night elf world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    People correlate to them as fellow addicts and feel connected. One being the mana addict, the other being the WoW addict.
    It's like bikers waving to eachother when they ride past on the highway. Nobody knows why but they all do it.
    Slow down there freud.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    While the original Night Elves have the darker hues of skin colour and their affinity to the night in common with the drow, I felt that they are too "feral" to be truly comparable. They also lacked the affinity to spiders, which is also found with the Nightborne.

Night elves remind me more of the wood elves of Warhammer fantasy.
    they mixed night elves up a lot, because the nightborne are exactly the arcane side of them, it's literally the same people that look differnet, doing the same things carrying on in the same kaldorei traditions of the arcane empire.

The night elves post sundering haven't really come off as feral to me, more like tree huggers, pacifists and naturists. But that's actually more the game than the lore. The game only showed night elves when they were showing druids because they never focused on night elves till now. so there was all these other aspects to them, like demon hunters, priests, highborne/nightborne a massive world changing empire and history, priesthood, high civlizaiton all of it not seen because they had no development, only been included when they wanted to add some druid stuff to part of a zone, this may be why they "feel" a certain way.

Now you see there is a lot more to them, you see the preisthood a little, a lot of the wardens, the demon hunters, the nightborne and the highborne - all are very visible here, and you still see the druidis too in val'sharah - and hmmdo they come across as feral? i mean you have the druids of the claw and the vale (the cat ones), but you have others, and many are just night elven druids in night elf form.

Because they don't wear shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    Well to be fair, the buildings themselves and the trees are top notch, this is clear in Azsuna and the rest of the Suramar zone. I'm pretty sure that if Suramar city didn't have that dark purple shade and if it had more variation in color, it would be amazing. But right now, when I walk through the valley of the city of Suramar, it's boring.

I mean, this is a typical Night Elf image:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e5c1bd8ffd.jpg

And this is a similar shot of the Nightborne (Thalysra I think):
    http://cdn.blizzardwatch.com/wp-cont...mar_header.jpg

I understand that this is where the Night Elves come from, but there is clearly a difference in color variation between those too. Notice how both wear jewelry and cosmetics, but they aren't as noticeable on the Nightborne.

The Sundering was a good thing for the Night Elven culture I guess, Night Elves without their Priest, Druid, Warrior and Hunter communities and without their elusiveness and their ability to hide in the shadows wouldn't be that interesting. And that's what the Nighrborn are imo.
    it's good cos of the variation in elven themes, rather than the one unified theme. I like that, you get something very different with Teldrassil/ashenvale and the kalidmdor night elves than you get with Suramar and the high society highborne than you get with Val'sharah or the Azsuna highborne ghosts.

it's all different, and variation, and it's nice. Witht he nightborne around blizzard can develop an arcane night elf based group without changing the existing kaldorei alliance group from their current focus. Instead they can develop the highborne and the nightborne as their own groups and show other sides to the night elven races and everyone getting their favourites around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Because they don't wear shoes?
    i don't think all of them where clothes either, some of them are clothed with the arcane,

I like the Nightfallen for their story and fighting spirit.

Not really sure what you're talking about. I haven't really seen any talk of people fanboi'ing the nightborne.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    They' don't look particularly nice
    What would you look like if you were exposed to the Nightwell for thousands of years? They didn't always look like how we see them. They used to be Kaldorei, which is Darnassian, which means they were once night elves, or at least elves.

They're very rich in lore, and have an interesting story. People enjoy things like that.
    "Hope can turn into despair in a heartbeat."
    R.I.P Chester Bennington 1976-2017

the real question is: why do people have opinions
    hit & run posting lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I certainly don't. Their zone is ugly, their city is ugly, their model is ugly. I enjoy killing them.
    Man, if their city is ugly, I can't imagine how is Orgrimmar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nightborne are nice. Especially since most of my character I play as Night Elves. So it is like a long lost sibling

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Man, if their city is ugly, I can't imagine how is Orgrimmar.
    I like the Orc look. I like the war camps, our horde garrison. My favorite cities are the Tauren cities of Thunder Bluff and Thunder Totem.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    I find it difficult to relate or care about arrogant addicts tbf. I had more sympathy for the Highmountain