Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Republicans start literally deleting their health care promises

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...-care-promises

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) declared with glee the other day that last week’s vote on the GOP health care plan is an example of “us keeping our promises.” That’s only partially true.

The good news for Ryan is that he and his fellow Republicans did promise to pass a regressive health care bill, and now they’ve done that exactly that. Whether you believe that’s a positive development is based in part on whether you might ever need an affordable visit to a doctor.

But when it comes to keeping promises, the Speaker and his GOP brethren have found themselves in an awkward spot. Ryan, Donald Trump, and other prominent Republican officials made all kinds of specific guarantees tied to their health care legislation, and they proceeded to break many of those commitments without explanation last week.

Indeed, in the Speaker’s case, some of those promises were put in writing. Remember this online Q&A published on the House Republican leadership’s website?
    Are you repealing patient protections, including for people with pre-existing conditions?

No. Americans should never be denied coverage or charged more because of a pre-existing condition. […]

Won’t millions of Americans lose their health insurance because of your plan?

No. We are working to give all Americans peace of mind about their health care.
    The day after 217 House Republicans voted for their party’s health care plan, the website was changed – and these promises, which Republicans broke, were replaced with new text.

In other words, instead of keeping their promises, Ryan and the House GOP leadership quietly – and literally – deleted some of their promises.

It’s a creative approach to honesty, isn’t it? First, make a promise. Second, break the promise. Third, hide the fact that you made the promise in the first place.

Indeed, it’s not just Congress. Eighteen months ago, Donald Trump’s campaign published an online statement demanding a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslims entering the United States, and it stayed there until yesterday, when the text was quietly removed.

Yesterday also happens to be the day the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral arguments on Trump’s proposed Muslim ban.

I could promise you I am going to give you a million dollars, and right up until the moment I break that its still a promise. However if you knew anything about me you know that I was never going to give you a million dollars.

In short, why is this a surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    I could promise you I am going to give you a million dollars, and right up until the moment I break that its still a promise. However if you knew anything about me you know that I was never going to give you a million dollars.

Well I would say your promise is dissimilar from someone in elected office who has power and authority.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post

We should hold our elected officials, that campaign on "this is what I'm going to get done for you", to a slightly higher standard than a trailer-park resident offering someone a million dollars.

"We are totally screwing you over, you should have figured out by now we don't always follow through on our promises!"

If we were dealing with "Oh we promised this, but had to go back on it because it just didn't wind up being possible for us to achieve. Sorry about that." I would not mind one bit. That happens. But we're dealing with a coverup, blatantly lying and hiding it from the public. Disgraceful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Literally fuck the GOP right now. I've disagreed with them plenty over the years, but I've literally never seen them this determined to fucking kill people while convincing everyone, themselves included, that what they're doing is this countries best interest.

I've taken shits that I'd vote to save before most of these people, they're not even trying to hide how truly vile and disgusting they've become.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Thanks Obama....

Also Rachael Maddow kek.....
    Yeah, she's shit. But the contents of the article are sound, give it a read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If we were dealing with "Oh we promised this, but had to go back on it because it just didn't wind up being possible for us to achieve. Sorry about that." I would not mind one bit. That happens. But we're dealing with a coverup, blatantly lying and hiding it from the public. Disgraceful.
    That's what's most childish and galling about all this. It's a refusal to accept responsibility for the promises they specifically made. If those promises were honestly made, then admit you were wrong. If they weren't, then they're liars who deluded the people who voted for them, and that should be the main story every week until the next election cycle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Literally fuck the GOP right now. I've disagreed with them plenty over the years, but I've literally never seen them this determined to fucking kill people while convincing everyone, themselves included, that what they're doing is this countries best interest.

I've taken shits that I'd vote to save before most of these people, they're not even trying to hide how truly vile and disgusting they've become.

Yeah, she's shit. But the contents of the article are sound, give it a read.
    If it were up to me, EVERYONE who voted for or promoted that bill would be hanged for treason. In public. While people pelt them with rotten fruit. They can even pull a George Carlin and put it on pay per view, I would literally pay to watch it.

Now that said, I still do hope they pass it - because it will create a massive catastrophe, people will start dying, and that may be the only thing that gives us even the remotest chance of getting universal healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    If it were up to me, EVERYONE who voted for or promoted that bill would be hanged for treason. In public. While people pelt them with rotten fruit. They can even pull a George Carlin and put it on pay per view, I would literally pay to watch it.
    I'm all for bringing back the stockades for these folks. They could do with some public humiliation for their appealing behavior. I have been enjoying watching some of them squirm and cowardly flee town halls/interviews when they get pressed on these topics thought.

Because the GOP has become the party of invertebrates. There's hardly a spine amongst them in Washington.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for bringing back the stockades for these folks. They could do with some public humiliation for their appealing behavior. I have been enjoying watching some of them squirm and cowardly flee town halls/interviews when they get pressed on these topics thought.

Because the GOP has become the party of invertebrates. There's hardly a spine amongst them in Washington.
    At this point, nothing will ever change, until things get bad enough to cause another French revolution style event. The beginning of tipping point will be when a lot of poor people start getting denied insurance, turned away from hospitals, and left to die in the street. I just hope that's enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    We should hold our elected officials, that campaign on "this is what I'm going to get done for you", to a slightly higher standard than a trailer-park resident offering someone a million dollars.
    Implying some elected officials don't actually look like trailer park residents...

That duder from Texas that admitted to not knowing what he was talking about has the look

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Implying some elected officials don't actually look like trailer park residents...

That duder from Texas that admitted to not knowing what he was talking about has the look
    Yeah when they openly admit that they never read the bill they voted yes on, something needs to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are exceptions, let's be fair.

John Kasich was on Real Time this past week, as the opener, and the conversation he and Maher had was really good. I disagree with plenty of the man's politics, but he's not a monster. They were mostly talking about health care, and he's one of the few who voted against this current bill; it's one of the few places I imagine his views and mine would come at least somewhat close.

The thing I respect about him most is that he has his own views, and he's a Republican because they mostly line up with his views, which doesn't mean he adjusts his views to fit the party; the party serves him, not the other way around. So when shit like this health bill comes down the pipe, he doesn't support it. He doesn't just vote against it, he's an outspoken critic. That's what EVERY member of Congress should be.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-05-09 at 09:12 PM.

Lie, deny, alibi. It is the GoP way.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Now that said, I still do hope they pass it - because it will create a massive catastrophe, people will start dying, and that may be the only thing that gives us even the remotest chance of getting universal healthcare.
    Man the psychos are really coming out

It is underhanded for sure. It shouldn't be surprising they aren't keeping up evidence of their own failures or lies though. It is one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, it is another to keep proof of that up on your own website.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah when they openly admit that they never read the bill they voted yes on, something needs to be done.
    That is common place though. It is also why the bill was pushed through so fast so they had to rely on their staff reading it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Also Rachael Maddow kek.....
    LOL I think she's a great comedian, every time I watch her speak I just laugh and laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like your health-care promises, you can keep your health-care promises!

This country and their county isn't necessarily the same country. Wrap them in a Confederate flag and what they're doing makes perfect sense.

The more chaos they spread, the closer they get to a Constitution Convention and it's game over.

Funny how that's a problem all of a sudden. I don't remember this kind of moaning about those who didn't read the Obamacare proposal before voting on it. Nothing is cuter than partisan outrage.