Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Been working on a new city (I still have my 125k grid city) that is made up of mostly curved roads, circles, and other curvey shapes. Got a couple of nice pictures:

You made that? Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    The only thing I'm worse at than making a good looking city (since I have grid-OCD issues in that game)... is to make a good entrance to the city which DOESN'T build up a huge queue.
    I've been playing with this issue the last week, I started playing again in anticipation of the DLC coming. I've been polishing off a custom map I was working on, when I last played, and the start-game entrances are just bad. Been experimenting with a few thing - multiple entrances might be the best option. My ToDo list for tonight is to try a version of the map with two entrance/exits to the freeway right off the bat. I hate that you can't use all the road tools in the map editor, though, it's too limiting.

If you guys are interested I'll post the map to the workshop when it's done, I put a lot of time into it, sculpting mountains and lakes and waterfalls, and shoreline. I've been playing it every night for a week or so, building a city up to about 7k, and then making adjustments. I had a nice one going last night, but I forgot to zone oil/minerals/farms, lol. Oops. I just don't know what to call it - it started with a Boston Fallout map, but looks nothing like it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snownova View Post
    After playing Simcity 2013 a lot before C:S came out, the hardest habit I had to break was trying to get the most out of my space. C:S has more than enough space. You will run into hardware limitations before you run out of space, especially if you use the 25 or 81 tiles mods. Once I learned to ease up on space my cities started looking a lot better, more room for parks, greens and upgraded roads and intersections when needed.

Yep! I had a lot of bad habits from SimCity4 that I had to break. I now leave a buffer zone next to the freeway for adjustments/ramps later on, and I spread out a lot.

Next on my list is to build presets for freeways with rail down the middle.

Another thing, I remembered when I drove across the US, the freeway lanes aren't always next to each other, tight - in the mountains, there were stretches where the other lanes were out of sight, on another level. Another concept is that real freeways are design with a freeway through a city, and a ring of freeway around it, for traffic going through, and I try to do that with my cities when I have all the tiles unlocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Been working on a new city (I still have my 125k grid city) that is made up of mostly curved roads, circles, and other curvey shapes. Got a couple of nice pictures:

I really struggle to create circular cities. I'm so grid-oriented, with a need to separate functionality as much as possible into repeatable, even segments. I'm the same way in real life, too, like, at the gym I will re-order all of the weights on the squat rack when I use it so that each side of the rack has the same 2.5's, 5's, 10's, 25's, 35's, and 45's.

An example of "grid":

Looks good! The third to last pic especially.

You know, I have yet to build a snow map? LOL. Maybe it's time for a Tahoe/Reno map...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    If you guys are interested I'll post the map to the workshop when it's done, I put a lot of time into it, sculpting mountains and lakes and waterfalls, and shoreline. I've been playing it every night for a week or so, building a city up to about 7k, and then making adjustments. I had a nice one going last night, but I forgot to zone oil/minerals/farms, lol. Oops. I just don't know what to call it - it started with a Boston Fallout map, but looks nothing like it now.
    I'd be interested in having it for the sake of a better entrance to the city, yah-yah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone try the new transportation DLC?

10+ Year Old Account
    I purchased it on Wed. Haven't been able to put it down. The new road tool layout helps me keep my streets in perfect distances and angles from each other. I like the tram system too.

This game is more addicting than WoW.

I love it. The free update actually has all the essentials, but the paid-for stuff is still quite neat. My monorail is so popular I can't handle the amount of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I love it. The free update actually has all the essentials, but the paid-for stuff is still quite neat. My monorail is so popular I can't handle the amount of people.
    No doubt, like 60% of the people in my city are using the tram + buses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I purchased it on Wed. Haven't been able to put it down. The new road tool layout helps me keep my streets in perfect distances and angles from each other. I like the tram system too.

This game is more addicting than WoW.
    Ughghgh I want to play it but the game won't work now (I bought the DLC). I just log in and I'm high in the sky, facing the sun, unable to move or do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: It works now. My "first person camera" mod was malfunctioning.

I am. Really, really good stuff! The new road tool is nice, and the ability to switch stop signs and traffic lights. I haven't dug too deeply into the blimps or monorail yet. The new road types are useful, too - and the one-way rail tracks are very handy. I'm still working on my older map, I want to start a new one soon that will take advantage of the new stuff. I did add a ferry line, though - will be very useful!

I can't figure out how or when to use the 12 track rail hubs yet. That's a lot more track than I usually have - have to start rethinking how I use rail. I usually string one line across the map and have spurs off it.

Transport is amazing. The bus hubs are great. and the combo buildings really tie things together. Come in on an international airport, get directly on a subway, come out of a subway right into a monorail or train, ride one of those directly into a bus hub and take a bus to ferry buss hub. Stuff like this makes me wish you can dam near force public transportation. Like a huge tax increase on car owners. wtb a no cars mod

The multi rail hubs are good to keep train ride times low. Have one central station that branches out to multiple parts of the map. 1 rail to go outside the city, the other 5 to connect areas where they dont all go in one giant loop through 12 different stops. Trains are great for long distance travel.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2017-05-27 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Transport is amazing. The bus hubs are great. and the combo buildings really tie things together. Come in on an international airport, get directly on a subway, come out of a subway right into a monorail or train, ride one of those directly into a bus hub and take a bus to ferry buss hub. Stuff like this makes me wish you can dam near force public transportation. Like a huge tax increase on car owners. wtb a no cars mod

The multi rail hubs are good to keep train ride times low. Have one central station that branches out to multiple parts of the map. 1 rail to go outside the city, the other 5 to connect areas where they dont all go in one giant loop through 12 different stops. Trains are great for long distance travel.
    Yeah, I'm rethinking trains a lot now. I usually only use it for cargo pre-50-60k, I can move people around with subways, buses and trams. I love trams, I use them a lot. I think I might tackle a mod, I want to design a multi-input train yard that doesn't take up the same space the stock one does. I know they have them on the workshop, but I wanna try one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Yeah, I'm rethinking trains a lot now. I usually only use it for cargo pre-50-60k, I can move people around with subways, buses and trams. I love trams, I use them a lot. I think I might tackle a mod, I want to design a multi-input train yard that doesn't take up the same space the stock one does. I know they have them on the workshop, but I wanna try one of my own.
    With mass transit in place i really am hoping someone comes out with a mod that outright deletes privately owned vehicles. make everyone walk or use mass transit. only cars on road are service and delivery

Deleted
    Blossom Valley: Population 100k!

A few impressions of my WIP town, Blossom Valley. The map also is self made

Now with PS4 flavoring!

- - - Updated - - -

I really want a Switch version now.

Deleted
    Thought I'd ask here, as sim fans

Anyone tried Aven Colony?
    Looks simiar to CS, but futuristic styled.

https://mothership.itch.io/aven-colony
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2017-07-17 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Thought I'd ask here, as sim fans

Anyone tried Aven Colony?
    Looks simiar to CS, but futuristic styled.

https://mothership.itch.io/aven-colony
    It's on my wish list but I don't currently have the spare money to make the leap.

Deleted
    It's on my wish list but I don't currently have the spare money to make the leap.
    Never heard of it before today, somewhat tempted.
    Gamebillet has it on decent discount too.

Curious, can't find anything about map sizes, as in smaller or larger than CS, Banished etc.

Found couple of images.
    https://twitter.com/MothershipTeam/s...25413271871488

Seems map size is fairly decent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvidldWctPw

Think I'll cave & grab this one.
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2017-07-17 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Never heard of it before today, somewhat tempted.
    Gamebillet has it on decent discount too.

Curious, can't find anything about map sizes, as in smaller or larger than CS, Banished etc.

Found couple of images.
    https://twitter.com/MothershipTeam/s...25413271871488

Seems map size is fairly decent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvidldWctPw

Think I'll cave & grab this one.
    NOTE: Aven Colony has been temporarily removed from sale as we work toward our simultaneous launch on PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 on July 25 of this year. Our current beta is already large enough, and we've decided the best course of action is to temporarily halt further sales so that additional customers wait for the full game launch.
    A developer that actually stops sales when they are full? Thats a plus for sure, will definitely keep my eye on it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    A developer that actually stops sales when they are full? Thats a plus for sure, will definitely keep my eye on it.
    Does seem odd, normally devs or publishers would be "Gimme all your cash naow" or something along those lines

Just been watching sandbox mode, looks like some destructive things happen in base game, no DLC required (glances at Paradix hehe).
    This clip shows sandbox & he loses 2-3 buildings just due to lightning strikes.
    Apparently there may be mods in the future, which makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am looking into getting this game but there are too many expansions with stuff that isn't very interesting. What parts of it should I get? I mostly care about content that actually adds stuff and not just nonsense.