Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    We should hold our elected officials, that campaign on "this is what I'm going to get done for you", to a slightly higher standard than a trailer-park resident offering someone a million dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well I would say your promise is dissimilar from someone in elected office who has power and authority.
    Sure we can say lets hold them to a higher standard and make them accountable, but if anyone believed them then they were plain gullible or ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Sure we can say lets hold them to a higher standard and make them accountable, but if anyone believed them then they were plain gullible or ignorant.
    An issue being that thy are hiding the info

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    An issue being that thy are hiding the info
    They literally have sound bite after sound bite of said promises....

Republicans are shady, more news at 11. I am a staunch liberal but Maddows huffin' and puffin' is getting to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    They literally have sound bite after sound bite of said promises....

Republicans are shady, more news at 11. I am a staunch liberal but Maddows huffin' and puffin' is getting to me.
    Well, there ya go. The issue is they are covering the tracks to avoid issues. Thats a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There are exceptions, let's be fair.

Ted Kasich was on Real Time this past week, as the opener, and the conversation he and Maher had was really good. I disagree with plenty of the man's politics, but he's not a monster. They were mostly talking about health care, and he's one of the few who voted against this current bill; it's one of the few places I imagine his views and mine would come at least somewhat close.

The thing I respect about him most is that he has his own views, and he's a Republican because they mostly line up with his views, which doesn't mean he adjusts his views to fit the party; the party serves him, not the other way around. So when shit like this health bill comes down the pipe, he doesn't support it. He doesn't just vote against it, he's an outspoken critic. That's what EVERY member of Congress should be.
    That was Republican Governor of Ohio John Kasich on Real Time with Bill Maher. I agree with your opinion of him in that conversation, but unfortunately he didn't get a vote - he's not a member of Congress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arril View Post
    That was Republican Governor of Ohio John Kasich on Real Time with Bill Maher. I agree with your opinion of him in that conversation, but unfortunately he didn't get a vote - he's not a member of Congress.
    Right, brain farted on his first name and that he's currently Governor. But my central point remains; he clearly stated that he didn't support it, that it wasn't what he viewed as Republican ideals, etc.

I can handle people I disagree with, like Kasich. What I take issue with is when people want a different set of facts to work with than the truth, or they don't care about the facts at all. Kasich, at least, I feel like he's open to a valid demonstration of why his views on an issue might be flawed. Plenty of other representatives, that's not the case, and that's a problem.

Politics isn't supposed to be a team-based sport.

Hospitals don't turn away people who need life saving or urgent medical attention because they don't have insurance.

Instead, the hospitals and insurance companies will have to eat the cost and the rest of us end up paying for it. It'll be just as bad or worse as it was before Obamacare.

Remember when Trump said "everyone will be covered, it will be cheaper and better care.'

LOL, fucking cock gobbling lemmings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could promise you I am going to give you a million dollars, and right up until the moment I break that its still a promise. However if you knew anything about me you know that I was never going to give you a million dollars.

In short, why is this a surprise.
    Its not really a surprise except in feel bad for their voting base that still believe that you can take these people on their words. Remember when people werent blatant liars and a promise meant something. Its one thing to fail at meeting a promise its another to promise something with no intention to ever see it through.

Its evil to constantly feed a bunch of lies when those people are desperately looking for help. To keep feeding them bullshit to get a vote as pawns in a sick political game of checkers.

The GOP leadership is heartless and they are smart enough to see how they casually mislead people who turn to them desperation. Not turn this into a religious thing but that behavior is against the figure they love to cite when making legislative decisions.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Funny how that's a problem all of a sudden. I don't remember this kind of moaning about those who didn't read the Obamacare proposal before voting on it. Nothing is cuter than partisan outrage.
    The ACA was bandied about the chambers for the better part of, what, 17 months? Plenty of people, Congressfolk, staffers, and the CBO obviously included, read it. If you're referring to Pelosi's oft quote mined line, then, stop, because she didn't say what you think she said. Whereas with the AHCA, we have fully contextualized video of the people who voted on it admitting they didn't read it in the, what, one week, it was on the floor?

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    LOL, fucking cock gobbling lemmings.
    Cock holstering lemmings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.