Page 1 of 3
LastLast

7.2.5 Destro mastery reworked

Mastery: Chaotic Energies Your spells deal a random amount of additional damage, up to 24%. Damage you take is reduced by a random amount, up to 5.328%. Warlock - Destruction Spec. 8% increased damage, plus a random amount of up to 8% additional increased damage. You take 2% reduced damage, plus a random amount of up to 2% additional reduced damage. Warlock - Destruction Spec.

(red is old mastery, black is new)

little less rng ^_^

Sounds good. Less variance, more predictable. Better design I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Esinar View Post
    Not exactly reworked, just slashed by two thirds, which is a damage nerf overall atm, since our damage didn't get buffed elsewhere in this build. I'm cautiously concerned about this change, but we'll see.

It clearly isn't a nerf. With the last talent, say you had 100% mastery then you're spell could do up to 100% increased damage. But that's starting from 0%. You had equal chance to get 0% than getting 100% so having a static increase % dmg will net you more dps overall I'm pretty sure unless you always had really good streak of luck which is probably not the case.

Anyway we will have to wait and test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by alexchaos View Post
    It clearly isn't a nerf. With the last talent, say you had 100% mastery then you're spell could do up to 100% increased damage. But that's starting from 0%. You had equal chance to get 0% than getting 100% so having a static increase % dmg will net you more dps overall I'm pretty sure unless you always had really good streak of luck which is probably not the case.

Anyway we will have to wait and test it out.
    Yeah i dunno why but I completely misread the datamining. Thought it said 24%->8% lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully crit and mastery will be the best stats and we'll go back to fewer but super strong Chaosbolts, like in the good old days.

I assume that the two parts are additive with each other (because being self-multiplicative would be really, really dumb), which makes this change neutral - on average. Currently, base mastery is 0-24% which averages out at 12%. New mastery is 8+(0-8)% base, which averages out at 12%.

You won't be able to have as nice of good luck streaks anymore, but on the flipside the bad luck streaks are also less severe.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Sounds good. Less variance, more predictable. Better design I reckon.
    Also less interesting tbh. With a meagre damage range of merely 8% they might as well just make it a boring passive effect again.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Also less interesting tbh. With a meagre damage range of merely 8% they might as well just make it a boring passive effect again.
    Both parts will obviously go up with mastery from gear. Otherwise, what'd be the point? So if you have 60% mastery now, you'd have 20% base and 20% random with the new one.

(Also, this is literally the #1 complaint people seem to have with embershards out of the way.)

Deleted
    I don't think/hope Crit + Mastery are going to be BiS stats, i think Haste and Crit (as it be on Live) are also BiS in 7.2.5.

Because the cast time for CB's without the T19 P is awful so in my mind i think Haste for more Inc casts (and faster CB's) and Crit for the additional Shard Bit on Inc

10+ Year Old Account
    Testing the new 4pc with this is more underwhelming than i thought it would be. I didnt try the new 4pc with the old mastery but it was prolly much better than this

Numbers aside imagine you have a scale from 1 to 100. 50% of the time you have 50 and proportionally lesser chance if you move to 1 or 100. (with a super small chance of 1 and 100) This is what we have now.

7.2.5 Is the same scale but the middle is 75. From 1 to 50 is a guarandeed damage buff. 75 is 50% chance and proportionally lesser chance if you move to 50 or 100.

we had 24% so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time, in 7.2.5 it will be 8% guaranteed dmg +8% random dmg(up to 16% not 24% we have atm), so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time and 8% dmg buff 100% of the time. kinda reminds me about removed destro trait from beta. it's not old mastery but it miles better than current one Considering + 20% dmg buff on everything and embers i don't mind that change at all.

Also last but not the least
    Increases damage/healing of Singe Magic by 21%
    Last edited by Dnusha; 2017-05-10 at 12:25 AM.

Statistically, the "rework" will result in the SAME output, while effectively nerfing our t20 4 piece bonus... so this is not something I'm excited about.

10+ Year Old Account
    This mastery change is a welcome one, even if they lowered the possible range on it to make it not too powerful. This plus the apparent wholesale buff they introduced should hopefully lead to better single target. (though I suspect we will get some kind of nerf before we are through with PTR, they usually do after applying such a spec wide buff. They tend to over do it).

Still mastery improvements and damage buffs. Today is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    Numbers aside imagine you have a scale from 1 to 100. 50% of the time you have 50 and proportionally lesser chance if you move to 1 or 100. (with a super small chance of 1 and 100) This is what we have now.

7.2.5 Is the same scale but the middle is 75. From 1 to 50 is a guarandeed damage buff. 75 is 50% chance and proportionally lesser chance if you move to 50 or 100.

we had 24% so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time, in 7.2.5 it will be 8% guaranteed dmg +8% random dmg(up to 16% not 24% we have atm), so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time and 8% dmg buff 100% of the time. kinda reminds me about removed destro trait from beta. it's not old mastery but it miles better than current one Considering + 20% dmg buff on everything and embers i don't mind that change at all.

Also last but not the least
    There is an error on your graphic, the thing is that the new mastery does not have the same range. What i mean:
    We had a range of 0-24 so the mean is 12, rigth. Now, we have a flat increase of 8%, WHICH 33% PF 24% and not the 50% you have pn the picture, so at the end it's: 8+mean(0 to 8) = 8+4=12%.

The only difference it's that you will have less variance.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    Your math is wrong and those 21% were at least in for a couple of builds already.

Mastery change results in no baseline change whatsoever - you will average the same, but with less RNG. It does nerf 4pcT20, though - that bonus is broken though ATM on PTR and seems to be not working correctly anyway, but I'd wager they will change it anyway.

Dont forget the mastery rolls 3 times and takes the highest roll now
    I'd guess thats changing since this was the initial try to make it less rng

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    Wat?

Where did you read that?

<snip>

we had 24% so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time, in 7.2.5 it will be 8% guaranteed dmg +8% random dmg(up to 16% not 24% we have atm), so 12% dmg buff 50% of the time and 8% dmg buff 100% of the time. kinda reminds me about removed destro trait from beta. it's not old mastery but it miles better than current one Considering + 20% dmg buff on everything and embers i don't mind that change at all.:
    Yeah as others have mentioned your image isn't quite right. It should be:

Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    It hasn't done that since alpha.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is actually a nerf, because it makes our 4p bonus weaker.