Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Most of their devs were focused on HotS and Overwatch most likely.
    It's a separate dev team -_-
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Seeing how so far there is a steady stream of updates in Legion, and MoP was similar.....WTH was teh joke in WoD inbetween?
    How exactly in your view has Legion been better content wise than WoD?

I'm not saying it hasn't had more content, it's had (so far) 12 dungeons vs 8 and 4 raids vs 3. But it also had the same amount of zones and outside of raiding there's not exactly more to do. It's a bit better than WoD but it's not exactly on par with any other expansion.

They were working on Legion and the timing in which they mass hired for the WoW team (increase of about 50%) was terrible as it took time away from development.

Watcher even admitted WoD was not ideal but once the team was up to speed, had high hopes for "the next expansion."
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    In my opinion, the new character models were a major factor. Art is one of the biggest time constraints, and it has to be finished before they start making content around it and testing encounters. Cataclysm also suffered because they had to take resources from new content to polish the old stuff. Garrisons contributed to this as well, everything was very detailed and complex, but ultimately people didn't get much use out of the art that was sunk there.

That being said, I always thought they could have at least salvaged the expansion by using their art assets better. Their best looking mounts were CE and store exclusive; they could have added recolors in game to give people more of a reason to grind the existing dungeons and apexis quests. No idea why they didn't.
    Your right new models are a nightmare. Even armor sets, I hear each piece of gear needs to be fitted properly on to each race/gender. I highly doubt goblins and worgen will ever get a touch up, there among the newer racers thus not too dated, and not popular enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's a separate dev team -_-
    Devs get moved around to different projects numerous times. People don't just get hired to be a dev for one game.

The Diablo team was a separate dev team, but now almost all of them are working on WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The content drought was because BRF released too early along with the fact that they fucked up with the garrison.

BRF released what? Not even 2 months after Highmaul?

Sure, amazing for the better Mythic raiders but i remember seeing and reading how people wanted to finish Mythic Imperator for the achievement but they couldnt get their raiders to come, why go wipe when HC BRF has better gear and sets?

Thats why EN lasted so long this time and NH was delayed, raid wise at least.

I know there are other "content" but i consider them irrelevant when it comes to WoW.

Yeah they cut back a lot of stuff but Draenor wasnt so bad as people make it seem, i dont remember many complains up to HFC releasing, the complains came after cause they gave 3 raid tiers in 6 months and then do what?

Also as people mentioned the movie, it was obvious they were tied together, Draenor would provide familiar faces with the movie for the new wave that would restart/start cause of the movie.
    eh what? You realize that BRF was only out 4 and a half months before HFC came out. The content all of it came out too soon, not just BRF, but also HFC. Then we had HFC for 14 months.

WoD was obviously a filler expansion. They couldn't even stick to a coherent storyline, and wasted tons of awesome characters in the process...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Devs get moved around to different projects numerous times. People don't just get hired to be a dev for one game.

The Diablo team was a separate dev team, but now almost all of them are working on WoW.
    Except WoW always had it's own development teams, some members of other teams might get moved around but it's not like the team of one game is disolved. I mean Tom Chilton is elsewhere but we know he was on the WoW team. We might of gotten some Diablo devs but the team still exists.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I think the ideas they wanted to use in WoD got too ambitious and time intensive and thus they just cut their losses and said fuck it (which was a huge FU to the paying customers and showed clearly when 5+ million people quit the game). Which is too bad as I feel they could have made it more absurd and interesting than what they did do.
    ^ Basically... this. In terms of development, they dropped the ball, so they moved the team onto the expansion after Legion (they have two teams for development).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Seeing how so far there is a steady stream of updates in Legion, and MoP was similar.....WTH was teh joke in WoD inbetween? I mean Blizzard learned in Cata how disasterous content droughts could be, and the reason I always put Cata ahead of WoD is because it at least looked like they were trying. The ZA/ZG revamps sucked, but it was something to tide us over while they rushed out Firelands. Then in MoP they had two teams one for big raid tiers and what not, and another for smaller content patches.

There was so much cut in WoD such as the content the Shatt Raid. I mean there were rumors that Activision was willing to let the game sink due to it's age and not invest in it. Was is getting the new team up to speed? Did Blizz just cut their losses and say "screw WoD onwards to Legion"?

There is a chart in this article that shows just how little content there was in WoD compared to other expansions.
    https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/25/12...on-burned-fans

Such a shame since Draenor is the most gorgeous continent imo, and I was holed up in a Garrison the whole time.
    Blizzard has originally said that Legion and WoD were conceptualized together.

That being said it was fairly obvious that Blizzard abandoned WoD in favor of a more enticing project. A lot of content got moved
    from WoD and into Legion.

Whether or not you liked design direction in WoD or not (personally I didn't mind it). But the story felt rushed, and incomplete.

This idea that Activision has control over Blizzard is bogus, they are one company. Blizzard does not "work for" Activision.

Second there is this idea (false idea) that Blizzard is only concerned with sub numbers. It completely ignores the success and profitability of initial sales. Black Ops III (an Activision Blockbuster title) sold ~14 million copies worldwide.

We know from reports that Legion Broke 10 million active accounts again. With 3.3million hard copies sold. Compared to other xpacs:

BC 2.4
    WotLK 2.8
    Cata 3.3
    MoP 2.7
    WoD 3.3

My point is... both WoD and Legion from the information and data available to us. Perform(ed) as well as any other xpac released since the decline of WotLK's peak. Anything else is pure speculation. People have been posing as experts and giving their predictions on the decline and inevitable death of WoW since we saw a drop in WotLK. Even when we had subscription numbers it is/wasn't a good metric for determining success, or profitability. If it was WoW would/should be dead by now. Since it is not, one has to consider that perhaps sub data is not complete or even relevant to measuring the profitability and sustainability of WoW.

Blizzard said (quite a while ago so they could have changed their minds) that as long as there are players there will be content.

If you read into what analysts (real analysts not MMO-C lurkers) they suggest that a mmos break even point is around 75000 concurrent users/subscribers for a 12 month period. I think that number is a bit optimistic as I have also seen numbers closer to 2 million users for both success and profitability. The point here is that even at WoDs lowest reported sub point of what 5.5 million, that's still twice as high as conservative numbers predict necessary for profitability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It was probably min/maxing of budgets and testing out exactly how far their customers will tolerate them going.
    Ya because it is totally common practice to play guessing games and risk millions of dollars to see "what they can get away with". As if Blizzard is run by a bunch of toddlers testing their boundaries. Come on.

They've said it was because they expanded the WoW team significantly during WoD's development cycle, meaning that the existing dev team had to spend a large amount of time training the news guys (and presumably doing some reorganising to get them all settled). This would obviously account for the lack of updates in WoD and the changes/cuts that ended up being made mid way through development.

Deleted
    A lot of the oldschool devs left after they got tired of all the Activision bullshit and WoD was the transition expansion.

I still think no flying at the beginning of the expansion + what garrisons entailed killed WoD. They lost half of the playerbase in less than 6 months lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    A lot of the oldschool devs left after they got tired of all the Activision bullshit and WoD was the transition expansion.
    That doesn't make any sense at all.

Activison-Blizzard was formed in 2008 so why would an expansion six years after the merger be a transition expansion? Get your timeframes correct before spouting shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    They've said it was because they expanded the WoW team significantly during WoD's development cycle, meaning that the existing dev team had to spend a large amount of time training the news guys (and presumably doing some reorganising to get them all settled). This would obviously account for the lack of updates in WoD and the changes/cuts that ended up being made mid way through development.
    The original claim (made either during Mists or WoD) was that they grew the team in Mists and that contributed to the length of SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaratic View Post
    my conspiracy is that the movie being delayed twice fucked their whole content plan and the dev team had no idea it was going to happen. it feels like wod was supposed to be the movie tie-in expac instead of legion. it's too much of a coincidence to me that khadgar, guldan, durotan, garona are all big characters in the movie and played important roles in wod.
    Its not even a conspiracy. They flat out said during one of the Blizzcon Panels that the intent was to help people who were around AFTER WC2 understand who these dudes were. It was 100% a movie tie in and I don't get how people still don't see that shit.

Yeah they basically said "Sorry if you don't like it, but blah blah blah, blah blah blah." Then they said "We promise to make it better next time... " Sound familiar?

Legion effort. Ignored or put WoD on low priority to focus on getting Legion out asap. Then the newbies getting brought up slowed that down iirc? Idk. Who cares tbh it's gone and never to be repeated hopefully lol
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    Legion effort. Ignored or put WoD on low priority to focus on getting Legion out asap. Then the newbies getting brought up slowed that down iirc? Idk. Who cares tbh it's gone and never to be repeated hopefully lol
    The team increase and getting them up to speed was talked about before WoD.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...lar-expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    ^ Basically... this. In terms of development, they dropped the ball, so they moved the team onto the expansion after Legion (they have two teams for development).
    Jesus, I hope that doesn't mean we're in for a new expansion made by the Cata/WoD team...