Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anklestabber View Post
    I think he means at the release and the very early patches. By the end of vanilla (which is what private servers run) there were enough quests.
    I played from the very day of release, and the quests added during the Vanilla days were mostly high-end zone (like Sillithus ; there was maybe also Dustwallow Marsh, I honestly can't remember if it was during Vanilla or after, but in all cases it was pretty late and I had already leveled three or four characters by then, so my point stands), so no it doesn't change. There was always, always, more then enough quests available. Always.
    The only thing is that you needed to switch zones, but that was by design.

When playing my main, I even wanted to maximize the amount of discovery of the game I could, so I purposedly avoided rested XP by disconnecting outside inns. I still managed to reach 60 with some zones mostly untouched.
    Personally I was super casual and spent more of vanilla leveling and never ran into this (I also hated questing and mostly leveled via dungeons), but I definitely remember in early vanilla people saying that there isn't enough quests for some level ranges. I also remember from early leveling guides that at some level ranges the optimal strategy was to just grind mobs.
    You'll notice I already pointed at this :
    or dumbasses who just followed a guide which told them it was "more efficient" to grind for level X, and they followed like sheeps rather than explore and discover that there was, in fact, tons of quests - but it required to change zones.

People saying there wasn't enough quests for level ranges were either the guys who blindly followed the guides, or just fucking idiots who didn't bother to get out of the zone they were in.
    Personally I think it's perfectly fine to not have an uninterrupted chain of quests through all the content. The current model feels like a brainless autopilot on-the-rails experience where you cannot fail and you have no choices to make. I much prefer a model where I'm put into a world and have to actual figure things out for myself, where I can actually fail or get stuck, and where at different points I have to do different things. To me it's perfectly fine to have level ranges without quests, where you have to grind or run dungeons.
    I agree with everything, save for the bit where you say it's fine to have level range without quests. It's fine if, like in Vanilla, you have to go elsewhere to find them (they were even nice enough to put breadcrumb quests everywhere to lead you where you might need it), but I don't agree that an actual lack of quests would be acceptable.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-05-10 at 01:30 PM.

Deleted
    I have not touched a quest from vanilla since the first time I tried them after the change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    This urban legend is really irritating, especially considering how many people repeat it mindlessly.
    There. Was. Never. Ever. Any. Level. Without. Quest.
    Lol, this is the first time I hear someone denying the existence of this gap. The gap was pretty huge for one faction only, I think horde. For alliance it was much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Given that Barrens and STV was some of the worst zones, I think everyone rejoice they were destroyed and remade..
    It is the 'suffering' that we had there that made the best memories, I still even today remember my first big noob mistakes in Westfall like try to drain life the golems, or fear them, or wonder why my VW can't taunt them
    or the infamous defias messenger, or the defias mages that cast fireball from 1502 yard away and run at low health to aggro 2 more from 1502 yard away etc
    Or how Desolas need long run to get medic books (or was it fishing? and medic was in Stormgarde right?) and stockpile them for future 'alts'
    All that hard (retard i admit) work made insane memory with every zone
    TBH all old zones need was scaling and done, i wish they stayed as they are
    don't get me wrong Cataclysm new zones are far more fun, but they should kept old ones too
    Quote Originally Posted by anklestabber View Post
    With Cata changes I just lost the connection to large parts of the world that I used to have.
    This
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshrag View Post
    I just flew through some old vanilla zones where i started this game 11 years ago and it just breaks my heart, like many times before, to see what blizzard did with the Cataclysm Expension to them.

I wish there was something like zoning for them...that the cataclysm would only take place at level 85
    Inc timewalking vanilla zones.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like like new Barrens, I loved the old expensive zone that I would spend days in levelling. What Blizzard did to Thousand Needles was a crime.

The zones that have been changed are mostly fine except for Stranglethorn being split but it's not a massive deal.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I wonder that they didnt touched the new/old starting zones for draenei and blood elves...
    Because they exist on the BC servers and generally deemed not worth the effort.

They've stated that Silvermoon in particular is a facade with nothing behind it, they didn't want to build a destroyed city just so you could fly over it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Yeah? How "we're" they "objectively better?" Enlighten us, because I have a strong suspicion that you don't know what the word "objectively" means.
    remebmer how in vanilla there was a quest in the very very south of the barrens and one in the very north, that would both send you to the same place to kill the same mobs

remember how to get all the dungeon quests you needed to go to all four fuckign corners of the map

remember how you would get a quest to go kill 5 quillboar warriors
    you kill 5 quillboar warriors and 3 quillboar mages and come back
    the next quest then tells you to kill 5 quillboar mages
    you kill 5 quillboar mages and 4 warriors
    the next quest then tells you to go loot some items that spawn around them

remember when you literally had to go to allmost every single zone to reach max level if you did not want to do the quests that required a profession you did not have, or to farm for hours on end

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    This urban legend is really irritating, especially considering how many people repeat it mindlessly.
    There. Was. Never. Ever. Any. Level. Without. Quest.
    If you didn't found quests at lvl 45, it's because you didn't change zone, not because there was some imaginary "hole" in the leveling.
    For a lvl 45 character, you had quests in Hinterlands, Tanaris, Feralas, Searing Gorge, Azshara, Blasted Lands, plus the tail end of STV, Badlands, Swamp of Sorrows and Dustwallow Marsh.
    OH YEAH I TOTALLY SEE A LACK OF QUESTS HERE !
    /facepalm

Considering the BS you said just above, you don't have a lot of credibility to such opinion.
    you are incorrect, both factions had gap issues, these being that at certin level gaps there was zones that were much more centered around one faction, causing a few levels to force you into some zones and to farm

as you can see, for horde 25-30 they are forced to
    3 zones
    where alliance had 2 more zones of choice and horde as you can see, at 35-45 had 2 more zones they could go to, where blue couldent

also do remember a zone would say 25-30, would really only get you to 26 then come back in a few levels to get another half of a level

also he is right at level 45 you had azshara (very few quests) and blasted lands
    there was ferals, hinterlands, and tanaris, but you had needed to have done the pre-quests to unlock the higher level, so you would need to go back and do green and grey quests to then unlock the ones that would be your level
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the game is moving forward and changes in the world are essential to convey the story progression, in this case, Neltharion ripping out of his lair and wrecking havoc as he fly over, as we see him in the Cataclysm cinematic.

FFS stop being stuck in the past. As someone whose played the game for a decade I cannot fathom how many want the old stuff back. I guess different strokes for different folks but gosh, move forward. Do you still use a Nokia 3310?

I just flew through some old vanilla zones where i started this game 11 years ago and it just breaks my heart, like many times before, to see what blizzard did with the Cataclysm Expension to them.

I wish there was something like zoning for them...that the cataclysm would only take place at level 85
    I miss 1k Needles the most. It was so unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see Pre-Cata / Pre-MOP storyline in end-game.

And not lame stuff like when honorable character like TBC/WOTLK Garrosh turning into "villian" like MOP "Garrosh"

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you are incorrect, both factions had gap issues, these being that at certin level gaps there was zones that were much more centered around one faction, causing a few levels to force you into some zones and to farm

as you can see, for horde 25-30 they are forced to
    3 zones
    where alliance had 2 more zones of choice and horde as you can see, at 35-45 had 2 more zones they could go to, where blue couldent

also do remember a zone would say 25-30, would really only get you to 26 then come back in a few levels to get another half of a level
    I have no idea about Horde (always played Alliance), but for Alliance at least, it's complete BS to claim any kind of gap. Cf the previous posts about it.
    also he is right at level 45 you had azshara (very few quests) and blasted lands
    there was ferals, hinterlands, and tanaris, but you had needed to have done the pre-quests to unlock the higher level, so you would need to go back and do green and grey quests to then unlock the ones that would be your level
    And having lots of green (no grey, at lvl 40, grey was about 8 levels below, which is far outside the zone) quests which open lots of yellow quests somehow means that you lack quests then ?

Hell no. They were empty and quests were too few.

Deleted
    I felt largely that the cataclysm was overdone. While i understand the move to filling the areas with content, I feel most of the old zones are now to full with stuff or a large narrative that is to present (such as CSI: Westfall).

The idea of quests were added relatively late to the game, as such the original zones were designed as large open with just npcs roaming around for you to grind/kill.

I actually liked the old STV and Barrens as being large and dangerous, with a lot of open space and just beast mobs that were doing things there.

What I also greatly miss (again a design choice I understand, but dislike) is the interconnectivness between zones. I greatly enjoyed those quests that send you to middle of nowwheres or various outback places in the world (egg of Zul for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    No. With very few exception, the pre cata zone were all really bad from todays point of view. I always dreaded the level 30-40 leveling experience, as I hated every zone in that level range with the exception of Stranglethorn, but as a horde player you couldn't really start questing there before level 37, because you had barely any quests before that and most were in the southern part, were stronger mobs were.

The one and only exception may actually be Western Plaguelands. I like the new version, but I also really liked the old version, especially since it had "hidden" quests at every of the farms.

Especially for Vanilla players, leveling was a very memorable process and the nostalgia is very strong in the old zones for these people. The new zones are objectively better in terms of quest quality etc., but they don't give you that feeling anymore, and never will.

I'm sorry but playing alliance there were gaps in leveling and questing. Prime example... Arathi Highlands. You would complete a chain and unless you killed a ton of mobs on the side when you turned in the quests the next stages would have the "silver" exclamation mark. As in you couldn't do them until you hit the next level. I remember plenty of times being 1/2 a level from the needed one to open those chains up. So I'd then have to go around killing random mobs, go to other zones entirely to farm that bit of XP or run a dungeon or two and then ding to the next level, fly back to Refuge Pointe and ta-da... silver exclamation mark now yellow and can complete the next stage of quests. So sorry but there were gaps, there were plenty of times where you'd "complete" all your quests turn them in only to have that damn silver exclamation mark. They weren't massive multiple level gaps but they were there.

Ashenvale and Azshara. Both got too wrecked. Parts of Ashenvale are good, but the central and west-central bits are just no good. Old Azshara was beautiful (it just needed quests).

I miss the old Brill. I made an Undead first and Brill was the first "bigger" Questhub after the starting zone. Is was perfect. Now it is this weird over the top purple grey blob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to go back to the pre-Cata zones a la the Bronze Dragonflight (like Theramore). We've had the Cata zones for more years than we had the pre-Cata zones. It makes me think we're due for another Cata-like change.