View Poll Results: Tinkers as the next class?

Voters
937. This poll is closed
  • Yes - If done correctly

330 35.22%
  • No - Tinkers make no sense

340 36.29%
  • Maybe - If done correctly

122 13.02%
  • Other - Stated below

15 1.60%
  • Don't give a fuck either way

130 13.87%
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I'd throw in Forsaken, at this point, too. They aren't as "classically" technological as, say, Gnomes or Goblins; however, they do have a few contraptions (blight spreaders, blight guns, gas masks, etc.) that seem to put them ahead of, say, Humans or Tauren as far as technological prowess goes.
    Well, they would be part of it if we take chemist as part of the Tinker, which is where I think a healing specc would be.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Hard to place a class like this without mechanically stepping on someone's toes.

If you're bringing in a versatile mech, you're looking at various stanc-I MEAN CONFIGURATIONS, which were totally not the domain of warriors.
    If you bring in configurable mech parts and aesthetics, you're gonna get an outcry from the druids who have been neglected one expansion after the other. Apart from the owlbear, polycount upgrade, and biped form of previous expansions, they saw nothing until Legion (where everybody got a piece).

Given so many people in this thread arguing that this should be a ranged class, I have a hard time unifying that with the fact that they would be walking around in massive machines of destruction. Demon hunter and monks hobble in and take a beating in leather, and here's an iron-clad, mail-wearing WMD that'll try and keep at 30 yard range at all times. Really?
    So we hit the other side of the argument. Many have rightly stated that no new class since vanilla has had a ranged option, and all of them had tanking specs. On the one hand, the classes fit the expacs, but on the other, I've been thinking that Blizzard wants to make melee, and in particular, tanking sexy again. There are still long-ass queues on the matchmakers.

Many considerations.

Core to it all, though, is that we definitely won't be seeing any new classes for another expansion. That's too soon. And for every added class, Blizzard faces a new level of hell in balancing and making everyone feel special. I thought we were saturated before monks hit the ground, and here we are. Personally, I think we're gonna see more dps/healer hybrid specs (fistweavers, possibly similar for paladins) or more shakeups akin to survival before we see a whole new class.

Imagine that : next expansion (after Legion) we go to the islands in the South seas to stop N'Zoth from corrupting Azeroth's World Soul. We manage to defeat him, but the nascent Titan has been deeply corrupted and some Void creatures start to go back up to the surface (Quiraji and other stuff).
    On the following expansion, we have to go in Azeroth's depths, so the Goblins (from Kezan) and the Gnomes (from Gnomeregan) find a way to reach Azeroth's core : the Tinkers. They use their technological know how to form a class that can dig tunnels, fight the insectoïds/flesh creatures and secure different areas.
    The feeling of the expansion will look like an universe well known in Pop culture : Aliens. The Quirajis and other Old Gods minions' races will be very poisonous, acids throw, and the Tinkers will be an advantage (just like the big combat suits we can find in the Alien movies).

Deal? I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    I would like to not see any new classes added to the game for a while, particularly now after Demon Hunters.
    Shadow Hunters are somewhat interesting, but not enough to build a dedicated class. a spellsword class could be interesting, but they would need to be built up for class fantasy.
    I agree that there shouldn't be a class next xpac, but instead races. But the following is where I'm looking to see another class. I personally don't mind what it is, as long as it has a ranged spec and is a mail user.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    as long as it has a ranged spec and is a mail user.
    I would agree with that.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    Would they start at 1 or higher as a Hero Class?
    Tinkers as a hero class is a ridiculous idea so I suppose it's likely. Actually, I hope it never happens. There's a good argument to be made that there are too many classes and specs already.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    True... But would they be Melee or Ranged?
    Could they have a healer spec?
    What would a Tinker do?
    They could have a melee tank spec and a ranged dps spec using bombs, turrets and using guns and bows to have another ranged weapon class besides hunters.
    Wearing mail cause we need more mail.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    I agree that there shouldn't be a class next xpac, but instead races. But the following is where I'm looking to see another class. I personally don't mind what it is, as long as it has a ranged spec and is a mail user.
    That would be fair. Mail is defintely the "oh noes not again" type of loot in our raid and every range always wants to play a melee (because mobility just feels good). Adding more melee classes would not help at all, they should just get to fixing the mess they've made so far and think about updating ranged classes and if they add any, make them ranged as well.

Deleted
    It could be fun and might make engineering profession more useful.

But it needs to be done very well, which is something I think current development team is incapable of doing. There is no tinker class in Diablo.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dont realy find them interesting at all.
    For some reason its the same people who want it every time.

I'd much rather see some 4th specs added to be honest. Not sure there's really a need for a new class at this point.

Probably not, since there's an Engineering profession. I said "maybe" because anything could happen.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    Imagine that : next expansion (after Legion) we go to the islands in the South seas to stop N'Zoth from corrupting Azeroth's World Soul. We manage to defeat him, but the nascent Titan has been deeply corrupted and some Void creatures start to go back up to the surface (Quiraji and other stuff).
    On the following expansion, we have to go in Azeroth's depths, so the Goblins (from Kezan) and the Gnomes (from Gnomeregan) find a way to reach Azeroth's core : the Tinkers. They use their technological know how to form a class that can dig tunnels, fight the insectoïds/flesh creatures and secure different areas.
    The feeling of the expansion will look like an universe well known in Pop culture : Aliens. The Quirajis and other Old Gods minions' races will be very poisonous, acids throw, and the Tinkers will be an advantage (just like the big combat suits we can find in the Alien movies).

Deal? I like the idea.
    a complete underground expansion? Sign me up. Loved Deepholm.

Silithus and AQ could use the revamp - imagine these places with today's looks, as well as the idea of an underground zone in Northrend. I would imagne it would have the same setup as Cataclysm with a few areas spread around - though I am also aware that a part of the players disliked this idea.

Tinkeres and transport via molemachines would fit this perfectly!

I like the idea more in the sense of a more sophisticated engineering profession. They should make the professions more engaging that you actually use skills coming from them in your rotations, and modify your play style.

In other words it should make a difference playing an engineer DH and an alchemist DH. I doubt they will ever make it so due to balancing issues though.
    Last edited by stablon; 2017-05-11 at 10:20 AM.

If we get the Engineer from Warhammer, along with roflcopter mounts, i'd switch mains in a heartbeat.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    That is not true... There are reasons that people are reported for rudeness on this site.. So that is invalid. So unless it's valid and appropriate, please keep it to yourself.
    yet i have not be infracted. not agreeing with you does not make my opinion invalid. tinkers are a dumb ideas for a few reasons,
    there is no reason to have a class that use mech suits as we already have multiply mech mounts and now reaves.
    there is no reason to have a class that using tech pets as we have always had tech pets and now hunters have tech pets.
    there is no reasons to have a class that uses explosives or grenades as hunter can do and engineering has always had them.
    and no its not just like locks and demon hunters as locks and demon hunters have always been clearly different things even if they did give locks meta that was the only real thing they had in conman.
    tinkers are a dumb idea and i think they have no room in wow, sure they might happen but i think its highly unlikely even more so when they add things like reaves.

I doubt it. Nobody knows what a Tinker is, it's not a popular concept outside of these forums, and I don't see the niche/value it would bring as a class.

Warden/Shadow Hunter is more likely. That being said, I think Blizz has run the gamut of classes to use for the most part. I doubt we'll get a new class for at least 2 more expacs if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Gnomes, Dwarves, Draenei for Alliance. Orcs, Goblins, Blood Elves for Horde. They all have some expertise in engineering in some form.
    I'm amused how people are quick to add 'orcs' to the list of possible tinkers, yet always make the mistake of not adding humans to the list as well. Also, Draenei don't really have 'expertise in engineering'. They're just jewelcrafters. All of their stuff is based on magic jewels.

I would prefer many other classes first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by God Among Men View Post
    When I think Tinker, in WoW, I think of this guy:

I could see Tinkers having 2 roles. Tank (Melee or Ranged) and DPS (Melee or ranged). Personally, I would love to see two tank specs and one dps spec. The tinker would essentially pilot a suit that would "upgrade" as they level, constantly swapping items on their suit. This would make most suits very unique between layout, color, and skill.

That's just me though.
    That is a cool concept but in switching out items on their suits, players generally don't like losing abilities unless it's x becomes x + y effects. Blizzard didn't like the multiple tank specs for dks, and have had difficulty balancing priests' 2 healing specs and making them distinct. Same for rogue and hunter specs.

- - - Updated - - -

What would Tinkers bring to the table
    Food, like mages do, but from a fridge.